Start by marking “From Hell with Love (Secret Histories, #4)” as Want to Read:
From Hell with Love (Secret Histories, #4)

From Hell with Love

(Secret Histories #4)

The Matriarch of the Droods has been murdered and the general consensus is that the killer was either Eddie Drood or his best girl, Molly. And Eddie knows for a fact he didn't do it...
Published June 1st 2010 by Roc (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about From Hell with Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Hell with Love

Jim
Take a not-so-good pulp or comic book story filled with too powerful, completely unlikable characters. Then give all of these overbearing pricks every magical device that James Bond's Q could dream up & flesh it out into a novel. Then fatten it up with enough repetition to set your teeth on edge. Repeat that last. Toss in a few logic holes, something that resembles poor humor, & then have it read by a man who has all the vocal emotion of a HAL 9000. The mess that pours into your ears wil ...more
Ms. Nikki
I squeezed in one more book for 2016 and it was not awesome.

*******Spoilers (But are they really?)

Amidst the repetitive gold fists and armor this book basically got rid of some characters in a quick hurry by juicing them up letting them kill themselves off.

Eddie was a little more full of himself than usual and I found myself not loving his character as much.

Nothing magical here folks. This book exists as a stepping stool to the next.

The cliffhanger, well, I'm not in a rush to know how things tur
Nate
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed pretty much everything SRG has ever written, but these things are getting really derivative. Every single exchange of dialogue is a declaration of who people are and why they're doing what they're doing. Literally. They spend more time explaining themselves in stark, unrealistic terms than they do anything else. These stories (and the Nightside series as well) are getting so repetitive that they're starting to hold less and less interest. Recommended only for serious fans with a cou ...more
Chris
Ok continuation of this paranormal thriller series. I would've been severely annoyed about the cliffhanger ending if I hadn't had the next book on hand.
Vanessa
Sep 04, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
James Bond meets Harry Dresden--except with a much bigger family--in Simon R. Green's newest urban fantasy mystery, FROM HELL WITH LOVE.

Our hero, Eddie Drood, is devoted to the family cause: keeping humanity safe from the real horrors that threaten it. He's spent his entire life saving the world from one danger after another, and the needs of the Drood family has always come first. Now he has to protect Earth from Hell itself, even at the expense of the life of the woman he loves.

Doctor Deliri
Alexander Draganov
I write a very long review and for some reason the system cleared it; which annnoyed me immensely. So I'll write a short summary of the problems of the novels - it's repetitive, it is needlessly cruel, promotes questionable morality and because the hero is all-powerful, there is not real tension. These are problems which Green always had, but usually his wonderful imagination and sense of humor save the novel. Sadly, not here. Turning a bunch of monsters agains kids was simply disgusting and the ...more
Nate Warren
This is one of the better books of the series. I didn't care for way the traitor was revealed. We needed more information about the list. I think the Drood's powers need recalibrating, but besides that, it's a decent series, not on par with the "Nightside" series..but still worth the money and time.
Richard
Another fun book in this ongoing series, I found the actions of the lead character to be a little out of sorts with how things normally go in this series, and It made the book feel a little disjointed to me, however it was still a nice read with plenty of weird and wonderful things thrown in as Simon R Green is known for in most of his books.
Ron
A good addition to Green's Bond pastiche series.
Kathy Davie
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, urban
Fourth in the Secret Histories urban fantasy spy series revolving around Eddie Drood and the Drood brood.

This story takes place shortly after the Griffins die in the Nightside in Hell to Pay .

My Take
Think James Bond and an assortment of Spectres, just with a supernatural bent with a slight crossover with characters from the Nightside. The Droods have the best toys!

The Droods are the ultimate power, they think, in the world with their own private landing areas at all major airports around the
Eric Smith
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Another fun ride in the world of Simon R. Green. A step back in the right direction from the last book with plenty of mystery, magic and mayhem to go around. This proved a great opportunity to see a bit more of the ruthless side of Eddie's character while also throwing up a big new enemy to deal with. My only regret is that I don't think they were utilized to their fullest potential but that's just my opinion and it was a lot of good fun. Good addition to the series with some wonderful twists an ...more
Adam Prat
It was a good story. The reason only 3 instead of 4 is because the ending. 3.5 After everything the villains put the main characters through and build up the ending was a bit of a let down and felt a little lazy at the end. The beginning and middle were very good. Some of the Villains I thought could have been done a bit better. Overall not a bad book just not as well fleshed out as the previous.
Cst
This is the fourth book of the series, if you have made it here, you know what to expect. It is weaker than its predecessor (I am beginning to sense a pattern here), but improves over time. Other than that, there are new people to intimidate, new enemies to kill and new quips to be made.
It is nice when a series finds its pace.
Sam
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On to the next one!
John
Simon Green's books are always interesting and exciting. They are enjoyable, without asking too much of you, kind of like an action movie.
3.5
Chianna
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. I love Eddie and Mollie...it's so different from anything I've ever read. I'm so happy I stumbled upon this author/series...the ending though...
Harrison
This might be my favorite of those Simon R Green series I've been going through. I like the riff on James Bond. I like the cold opens. I like the first person narration. It's good stuff.
Mary
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: martin, sf-f, series
4.5
Shayan Kh
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.7 stars really...

From Hell With Love was really better than the previous book in my opinion. The lack of weird stuff in the last one was a deal breaker for me, but this time, it got fixed. It is full of action, silly urban jokes, cheesy dialogues and a hell of a lot more action. With magic on top.
I did have my usual problems with this book, though.
(view spoiler)
Ryan
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge urban fantasy fan by any stretch of the imagination. I think I name on one had the number of series that I actually enjoy in the genre. Thankfully, for me, one of those is The Secret Histories series by Simon R. Green. It has to be one of the funnest and exhilarating series I've ever had the privilege to come across.

In the fourth book, From Hell With Love, Eddie is given a monumental task. Find out how the Matriarch was killed in her bedroom and what caused so many of the family t
Paul Carey
This is my introduction to the series, and I have to say I laughed on numerous occasions at the witty banter of the characters. It's not 5 stars though...the magic is a little over the top (and this is from a huge Dresden Files fan), and the denouement was, frankly a disappointment. I have, however, already started the next episode.
jD
I love Simon Green! This 4th installment to this series that I really did not anticipate even liking (much less loving). I feel that S Green moved Eddie Drood to another level. Don't get me wrong, Eddie's still arrogant and one-dimensional for the most part. In "From Hell With Love", Eddie is fighting mad about the murder of his grandmother and lover, Molly. He is out for blood and spills more than I have seen him do in the past novels. This one has a cliffhanger, a first for this series. There ...more
Amanda
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone's favorite secret agent shaman is back with his witchy lady in From Hell with Love, the latest in Simon R. Green's Secret Histories series. After gaining popularity for the series, Green expanded what was originally a trilogy into a full-blown series. From Hell with Love is the first step out of the original mold and into something more. The result is good, but not great.

Eddie Drood never has it easy. Especially now, with the Matriarch of the Drood family dead and the family in chaos, w
Star
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Drood family had been working in the shadows for centuries to keep humanity safe and yet they’re still hated by so many (but it would be almost everyone if they knew everything the Droods have done over the years). Eddie Drood starts out in LA meeting up with a cousin to stop Doctor Delirium from getting the Apocalypse Door. Doctor Delirium had just been a two-bit villain who couldn’t evil his way out of a paper bag (reminding me of Dr. Doofenshmirtz), but he’s now teamed up with some pretty ...more
David Caldwell
I have found a couple of glitches with this fourth book as I am reading it.In book 3,Eddie tells Walker he plans to restart the bomb to destroy the Independent Agent's lair.In this book,items from the Independent agent's lair are being brought to the Old Library for study.We even see the Independent agent's body.Also Eddie calls the librarian Walker when his name is William.I have also noticed a handful of typos which I don't normally expect to see from a larger publisher.

These should probably
Dani Shuping
The matriarch, the leader of the Drood's, has been murdered in cold blood....and some in the family are thinking that Eddie and Molly had something to do with it. Out to prove their innocence and to stop Doctor Delirium from using the apocalypse door, Eddie and Molly set off on their biggest adventure to date. Along the way an old rogue returns, the family is attacked in its home base, and an ancient powerful is revealed at last. And only the Drood's...with the help of some of Frankenstein's cre ...more
Viccy
May 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
The Drood family has stood between Humanity and the monsters since the beginning of time when an alien came to Earth and gave them torcs. However, it become clear to Edwin Drood (Eddie) that the alien behind these torcs was evil and he brought down the family and took it over. Eddie aligned himself and the Drood family with beneficial alien he calls Ethel who gave the Droods new torcs and a new lease of protecting Humanity. Eddie has returned to being a field agent and his grandmother, the Matri ...more
John Parungao
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What happens when Martha Drood, The Matriarch of the Drood family is found murdered? Everyone suspects either Eddie Drood or his girlfriend Molly Metcalf of being responsible. The truth leads to the unthinkable. Drood Hall has been infiltrated by a new enemy. Known only as the Immortals, this new enemy has replaced members of the Drood family and has been spying on Drood Hall for years. After a vicious assault on Drood Hall, Eddie Drood must leap into action once more to stop the Immortals maste ...more
Joni
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one more than the last, possibly because while I love Eddy, I love the secondary characters as well, and they were conspicuously absent in the last book (though it was nice having Blue around for a bit I guess). The story was more interesting in this one, though there was a bit more angry violence, and I'm really tired of the "I'm a field agent, not an assassin" apology/explanation. Still, good read, and enjoyable.

The ending is a bit of a cliff hanger, and felt a bit like the endi
  • A Hundred Words for Hate (Remy Chandler, #4)
  • The Business of Death (Death Works Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Unleashed (Dog Days, #3)
  • Unperfect Souls (Connor Grey, #4)
  • The Neon Court (Matthew Swift, #3)
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
  • Yesterday's Hero (Arthur Wallace, #2)
  • Ring of Knives (The Dead Man, #2)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • MythOS (Webmage, #4)
  • Dark Road Rising (Vampire Files, #12)
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted

Secret Histories (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Man with the Golden Torc (Secret Histories, #1)
  • Daemons Are Forever (Secret Histories, #2)
  • The Spy Who Haunted Me (Secret Histories, #3)
  • For Heaven's Eyes Only (Secret Histories, #5)
  • Live and Let Drood (Secret Histories, #6)
  • Casino Infernale (Secret Histories, #7)
  • Property of a Lady Faire (Secret Histories #8)
  • From a Drood to a Kill (Secret Histories, #9)
  • Dr. DOA (Secret Histories, #10)
  • Moonbreaker (Secret Histories, #11)
“I’m not crazy. I know what I’m doing. You’re just jealous because the voices only speak to me.” 2 likes