Start by marking “A Night to Remember” as Want to Read:
A Night to Remember

A Night to Remember

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  14,206 Ratings  ·  1,057 Reviews
The "unsinkable" Titanic was four city blocks long, with a French "sidewalk cafe," private promenade decks, and the latest, most ingenious safety devices ... but only twenty lifeboats for the 2,207 passengers and crew on board. Gliding through a calm sea, disdainful of all obstacles, the Titanic brushed an iceberg. Two hours and forty minutes later, she upended and sank. O ...more
Audio CD, 5 pages
Published June 20th 2010 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about A Night to Remember, please sign up.

Tammy Strengths: Interesting and quick read. Gives a pretty good account of the events that happened as the Titanic sunk particularly things that went wrong…moreStrengths: Interesting and quick read. Gives a pretty good account of the events that happened as the Titanic sunk particularly things that went wrong leading to the massive loss of lives.

Weaknesses: At some points it feels as if it provides to much extraneous detail (like what a bunch of different people were wearing at the time), at others it seems lacking in details. For example a bunch of names are thrown out but I never really felt like I "knew" who any of the people were.(less)

Feb 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
James Cameron ruined the Titanic.

Now, anyone who's ever been interested in the subject must contend with sideways glances from people who assume your curiosity was piqued by Kate Winslet gazing at Leonardo DiCaprio with her big doe eyes. Countless books, documentaries, and even video games were released to coincide with the ill-fated ship's meteoric popularity. This is not to say that Cameron's Titanic was entirely irredeemable. Indeed, there are many parts of the film where you can feel Camero
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I can see why this book is considered a classic in narrative nonfiction. In fact, I picked up this book because Nathaniel Philbrick, himself a master writer, told the New York Times that this was one of his favorite books of the genre. (The other nonfiction book he mentioned was Alfred Lansing's Endurance, which I also agree was excellent.)

A Night to Remember gives a gripping, detailed account of what happened the night the Titanic hit an iceberg and sank in the Atlantic Ocean, killing more
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics

“Robertson called his ship the Titan; the White Star Line called its ship the Titanic. This is the story of her last night.”
James Cameron's vision of the Titanic decided that the most compelling and lucrative story would focus on two young lovers who had just met. Looking at the passenger manifest, where survivors are listed in italics and the dead are not, suggests how blandly offensive this vision is. It's hard to argue with the chivalry of "women and children first," but for family after family, particularly among first class passengers, fathers and husbands went down with the ship while mothers, wives, and kiddie ...more
Book Concierge
Book on CD read by Walter Jarvis

On April 15, 1912, the greatest ship to ever sail struck an iceberg and sank in the North Atlantic. This is a chronological tale of what the people aboard the Titanic recall of that night’s events.

This is a re-read. I first read it before I joined either Shelfari or Goodreads, so I have no record of when I read it. I believe it was in the 1980s; I know it was long before the hugely successful movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. If memory serves, I
This is sort of the primary, classic book on the Titanic disaster. Published in 1955, it's short and smoothly written -- covering the viewpoints of a large cast and changing centers of perspective with ease. There have been four movies made about the Titanic in the sound era (there were several silent movies about or loosely based on it). I've seen three of the four and have the other one on VHS to watch. The first was a 1943 German, Nazi-produced spectacle that mainly was made, it seemed, as an ...more
Bill Rogers
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because I'm cruel and evil, I'm going to ruin this book for you with a spoiler. The ship sinks, folks.

What, you already knew that? You've heard the story before, once or twice, maybe? In fact, do you think the Titanic story is overblown in our culture? Are you tired of it? You can blame Walter Lord. But don't blame him too much; he wrote an amazing book.

Lord was something of a harmless crank with a bit of a fascination with this big honkin' ship that had run into an iceberg a few decades before.
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was about 15, I was completely obsessed with the Titanic (yep, that's the year the movie came out!), and I brought every book I could find about it. And at the time, hyping up the movie, there was a lot of books available.

A couple of years later, the obsession had faded and it wasn't until the 100th anniversary of the sinking in mid-April that my interest was piqued again. So I picked up a copy of A Night to Remember.

Written in 1955, it reads with a surprisingly modern and appealing voice
I've never trusted the month of April. It should be the month of flowers and bunnies and eggs and bees, which it is. But April is also the month of disasters...the 1906 Earthquake and Fire, Chernobyl, the Oklahoma City Bombing, Columbine and, of course, the Sinking of the Titanic. The 'S' is capitalized.

Prior to reading Walter Lord's version of the Sinking, the Titanic was just another shipwreck to me, but forever after, it is THE shipwreck. Under Lord's framing, it's also the end of the Gilded

If the Titanic had heeded any of the six ice messages on Sunday....if ice conditions had been normal...if the night had been rough or moonlit...if she had seen the berg 15 seconds sooner--or later...if she had hit the ice any other way...if her watertight bulkheads had been one deck higher...if she had carried enough boats...if the Californian had only come. Had any one of these "ifs" turned out right, every life might have been saved. But they all went against her--a classic Greek tragedy.
Kimberley doruyter
one thing becomes clear reading this book.
titanic was a major cock-up.
could more have gone wrong on one sea journey.
Michael Britt
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really can't decide what the best rating for this book would be. It's an amazing recollection of first-hand experiences from the night the Titanic went down. The Titanic is one of my favorite stories from history. Might have come from seeing it in theaters as a kid, but I'm not 100% certain. But this book is far more interesting than the movie, only because it's true.

It's interesting to hear just how calm everyone was up until people started physically seeing the water inside the ship. Even t
This has been on my TBR list for a while, but I felt an urge to get it read earlier this year, given that I was going on a cruise myself. I decided it would be best left until after I returned, just in case it made me a little edgy!!

It was an interesting read, although there wasn’t anything of major importance that I wasn’t already aware of - but still amazing to think that people were firmly convinced that the Titanic was unsinkable. Although, having cruised on a large ocean liner now myself, I
K.D. Absolutely
They say that this book is the definitive source when it comes to the story of Titanic and I agree. I learned so much details from this book that I did not see in the James Cameron 1997 hit. Even if I watched that movie 20+ times (and still occasionally have that urge), I still had that insatiable need to know more about what happened. But when I finally closed this book? Enough, I said. I'm truly satiated.

A Night to Remember is 1955 Walter Lord's (1917-2002) non-fiction work detailing what happ
Niki Estes
This book, published first in 1955, is a treasure trove of information about that fateful night on the Titanic. It is really well written and you feel as if you are right there in the midst of the disaster. I've watched quite a few documentaries about the Titanic and really enjoyed this book as well. I highly recommend it. I plan to get other books by Walter Lord as he was a wonderful, nonfiction writer.
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016, nonfiction
I've gotten interested in the Titanic again after visiting Belfast this summer and going to the spectacular new Titanic museum. It really is worth the trip and you can easily spend the whole day there and not get bored. But this is about the book not the museum!

Very very concise recalling of what happened the night the Titanic sank, but I ended up loving that part of this book the most. It's not James Cameron fluff even if I love that movie for different reasons. This book is pretty strictly the
Bill Lynas
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truely matter of fact account of the sinking of the Titanic, brilliantly told. It's interesting that although first published only about 40 years after the disaster people still had differnt memories of the events that happened. This version is an excellent unabridged audio CD, read by the ever reliable Martin Jarvis.
Walter Lord's A Night to Remember (which I absolutely adored as a teenager) is in many ways a cinematic, live action, play-by-play and intensely riveting account of the sinking of the Titanic, from start to finish, from the time the iceberg was hit to when the for all intents and purposes few survivors were picked up, had reached the Carpathia (and I can well understand how and why this novel was made into a movie, although I have not seen it).

Now as a teenager, the massive amount of entertaini
Aditya Patil
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A narrative as exciting as any thriller, capturing one of the most tragic events the world has ever witnessed. The unparalleled glory of the Unsinkable ship, the love and labor of its maker, captain and crew, the appalled cries of men, women and children aboard, the silent night, the cold sea with the roaring gigantic ocean liner, RMS Titanic, being devoured into it has fascinated and afflicted thousands of people. Walter Lord has described all of it in this wonderful book.

On a side note, I alwa
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-history
Lord delivers a riveting account of a tragedy that symbolized the end of an age. The Titanic, the grandest of luxury liners, heedlessly speeds forward into the night as the wealthy elite indulge. They meet their destiny in the elemental forces. The Titanic’s demise eerily foreshadows the profound changes coming as the world soon unravels in the Great War. The prevailing confidence that man can control nature and his fate is shattered. A far more uncertain world is revealed.

The actions of the cr
Brian Murray
This is a marvelous work of nonfiction in what has to be the definitive classic of the Titanic.

Walter Lord has a perfect balance between authorial distance and empathetic immediacy, giving the narrative elements of both suspense and pathos. Instead of focusing on a couple of passengers from the Titanic, he chronicles dozens to tell the story of the ship's last hours. This omniscient perspective makes the first half race by like a classical thriller. Even knowing the Titanic legend by heart, as s
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always been interested in the Titanic and her fateful maiden journey. Walter Lord tells the tale of her finally night at sea. This book was originally published in the 50s but it's content is still relevant. Lord collects various tales from the survivors themselves.

To us now, it's shocking at how calm and unbelieving the passengers were when the ship started going down. The ship was branded "unsinkable" and everybody truly believed it. They stayed inside, refused life belts, and thought the
Linda Hart
A factual account of the Titanic. A journalist's detailed reporting of what happened according to the survivors. Very thorough. Not my cup of tea, but I am glad I read it. History and nonfiction lovers will give this 5 stars.
Brian Eshleman
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, audible
I don't know how the author does it, but he manages a sumptuous notice of detail and a very brisk, but not quite hurried pace – of course perfect for a narrative centering on the Titanic. He also draws some interesting cultural conclusions which point to its place in history and why it still fascinates us.
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: varia-scripta
Na prawdę bardzo dobra książka.
Świetnie udokumentowany, nie rozgadany, reportażowy tekst.
Momentami chwytający za serce, ale bez zbędnego sentymentalizmu.
Największe wrażenie robi podkreślenie wszystkich okoliczności, dzięki którym można było tej katastrofy uniknąć.
Przypomina mi się Kronika Zapowiedzianej Śmierci.
Było tyle okazji, żeby odwrócić los. I wszystkie okazje zostały zmarnowane.
Oct 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I went looking for a book about the Titanic and what really happened that fateful night, this is the book that came up the most, got the most reviews, and was regarded as the definitive Titanic book.
After reading it, I can definitely see why.

Walter Lord has put together a detailed, painstakingly accurate account of the Titanic's sinking. He pieces together several viewpoints in order to come up with each situation. His prose is simple and to-the-point, and very easy to read.

I appreciated t
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
I didn't realize that in 1898 a small novel by Morgan Robertson wrote a fairly short novel, Futility, that foreshadowed the Titanic tragedy. The novel was later changed to Futility or the Wreck of the Titan with a different ending.

Walter Lord captures the hubris of men in A Night to Remember. The builder, Ismay, survived but remained a recluse until he died. He most likely suffered from shell shock. He witnessed his "unsinkable ship" go down on a cold night in April 1912. The Titanic sinking re
Alexis Drake
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Nel 2015 ho visitato a Belfast la Titanic experience, una sorta di museo/luna park costruito sul luogo di costruzione del Titanic.
E’ un posto bellissimo, ve lo consiglio, e se volete ve ne parlerò in una delle rubriche di viaggio.
L’anno prima invece ho visitato il Museo del Titanic a Southampton, luogo da cui è partito e che ha dato i natali a moltissime persone che ci hanno lavorato. Un museo interessantissimo, pieno di oggetti, ricordi ed emozioni.
Mi è quindi venuto naturale comprare questo l
Catherine Howard
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very readable and to date definitive account of the sinking of the Titanic that, apparently, both James Cameron and Julian Fellowes relied upon when it came to making their movie and TV series respectively. Living here in Ireland with both Belfast and Cobh (formerly Queenstown) making the most of their Titanic claims to fame in the run up to the centenary—Belfast actually having one, it being where the ship was built, but Cobh neglecting to mention that Titanic never docked there but instead wai ...more
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Walter Lord's retelling of the fatal voyage of the Titanic, read by Martin Jarvis.

1/10. As the RMS Titanic sails to New York, an iceberg is spotted.

2/10. The Titanic's captain tries to discover how badly the ship's been damaged by the iceberg.

3/10. The stricken passengers of the RMS Titanic leave their cabins and head to the ship's decks.

4/10. As the sinking Titanic issues an SOS, women and children are ordered into the lifeboats.

5/10. With only women and children allowed
Around the Year i...: A Night to Remember, by Walter Lord 1 9 Oct 14, 2017 11:26PM
Play Book Tag: A Night to Remember - Walter Lord / 4 Stars 3 13 Aug 25, 2017 05:11PM
Play Book Tag: A Night to Remember / Watler Lord - 5***** 3 26 Apr 07, 2017 04:55AM
Irony in A Night To Remember 8 90 Jan 04, 2015 05:19AM
  • Titanic: an Illustrated History
  • The Discovery of the Titanic
  • The Titanic Disaster Hearings: The Official Transcripts of the 1912 Senate Investigation
  • Unsinkable: The Full Story Of The RMS Titanic
  • The Titanic: End of a Dream
  • Titanic: A Survivor's Story
  • Titanic: Destination Disaster : The Legends and the Reality
  • Shadow of the Titanic: The Extraordinary Stories of Those Who Survived. by Andrew Wilson
  • The Story of the Titanic As Told by Its Survivors
  • The Loss of the S.S. Titanic: Its Story and Its Lessons
  • Her Name, Titanic
  • 882 1/2 Amazing Answers to Your Questions About the Titanic
  • Titanic Survivor: The Newly Discovered Memoirs of Violet Jessop Who Survived Both the Titanic and Britannic Disasters
  • Titanic: Legacy of the World's Greatest Ocean Liner
  • Lost Voices From the Titanic: The Definitive Oral History
  • Last Dinner On the Titanic: Menus and Recipes From the Great Liner
  • Voyagers of the Titanic: Passengers, Sailors, Shipbuilders, Aristocrats, and the Worlds They Came From
  • Titanic's Last Secrets: The Further Adventures of Shadow Divers John Chatterton and Richie Kohler
Walter Lord was an American author, best known for his documentary-style non-fiction account, A Night to Remember, about the sinking of the RMS Titanic.

In 2009, Jenny Lawrence edited and published The Way It Was: Walter Lord on His Life and Books.
More about Walter Lord...

Nonfiction Deals

• K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain
  • Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967
    $12.99 $1.99
    $10.49 $1.99
“Overriding everything else, the Titanic also marked the end of a general feeling of confidence.” 6 likes
“The night was a magnificent confirmation of "women and children first," yet somehow the loss rate was higher for Third Class children than First Class men.” 5 likes