Start by marking “Fast Food Fiction: Short Short Stories to Go” as Want to Read:
Fast Food Fiction: Short Short Stories to Go

Fast Food Fiction: Short Short Stories to Go

Fast Food Fiction is a collection of quick reads for people always on the go. Savor with relish these miniature fictions from voices young and old, new and established. Dip into this collection and experience masterful storytelling from distinguished writers in the Philippine literary scene, including Gemino H. Abad, Jaime An Lim, Gregorio C. Brillantes, Rofel G. Brion, Jo ...more
Published 2003 by Anvil Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Fast Food Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fast Food Fiction

Start your review of Fast Food Fiction: Short Short Stories to Go
Ranee
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
The challenge is set - write a beautiful/ nerve racking/ thought provoking/ non repulsive/ sublime story in less than 500 words.
This has caused many shuddering moments by most of the contributors the editor admitted in her preface. It was not easy cutting down their works of art. I guess real writers never run out of words to let's say, describing a falling leaf. I imagine that they could write a novel, publish it, sell a million copies then draft a second book while thinking of a prequel befor
Ayban Gabriyel
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
There is one thing I really love about this anthology of short fiction they're are short stories having not more than 1000 words and yet they are not that easy to digest.

I read this book in between traffic jams whenever I will come to my work( well actually I'm still a trainee, flipping patties and frying chips and building up burgers) and just finished it yesterday when I was killing my time inside a convenience store while waiting for someone. This book is easy to read, like what I have said
DC
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: busy people; those in search of deep, yet quick/short stories
The title of the book describes it perfectly: fiction you can digest in as short a span of time as possible. This collection presents to us a different kind of short story: the bite-sized (yet not-too-easy-to-gulp) one. The stories here are in all shapes and forms, but all give their message in roughly 800 words or less. This is honestly a great concept, and a simply lovely read.

(Of all the stories in this book, I have to take note of Tan's "And All Things Nice". It is simply marvelous.)
Sheryl

We should have more of these collections. It's a great way to showcase the writing prowess of authors. These are also great if you need short quick fixes of literature, same satisfaction as when you go to your usual fast food joint. Now I find myself craving for more!

Around the year in 52 books: A book with a type of food/drink in the title - 22/52
Dana Aguto
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this so much!
(Budjette Tan's "And All Things Nice" was my favorite.)
Annabelle
Oct 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own-it
When done right, I adore short stories. Here we have sixty short short stories, or what Sawi calls flash fiction (must be a new phrase, as this is not mentioned anywhere in the book's introduction)--fiction served in tiny, matchbox servings. Twenty-one were good, very engaging, and out of these 21, 8* stood out for the deft storytelling, with a buildup that made this reader react--I speak of the kind of stories that warms, or deadens the heart.

* The SSS by Dalisay, Sunico, Clemente, Khan, An Lim
Cherry
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been hearing about flash fiction but I never got to sample it until today. I'm a big fan of novels and other long reads so I was surprised that I really enjoyed these very short, short stories. It's a very interesting genre/form and very encouraging for those who want to try writing fiction.

Some of my favorites from this collection are:
Cypraea leucodon
A Torn Shirt
The Centaur
Em
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: All GR members
Recommended to Em by: TFG
Shelves: filipino-authors
I admire Noelle Q. de Jesus her efforts to compile Filipino authors short stories, this way all of us will have a chance to know the works of these authors and from there we can start reading their books.

All in all it was ok. I had a hard time finishing this book maybe because if there are stories that I don’t get it, I stopped reading. But I don’t want to just stop without reading all the stories, it would not be fair to the authors.

I would still recommend the book to fellow readers. I might no
kb
Jul 18, 2011 rated it liked it
We studied a few of the short short stories in this book in one of my creative writing classes back in college, and I knew it featured some good Filipino talent. This book shows that some well-written stories can be under 500 words.
Eduardo
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The anthology of short stories are great.. it is very hard to write to a short story with a maximum of 500-900 words I applaud those writers.

Fast Food Fiction is worth reading
Aj Garchitorena
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love these stories. Every story is so telling, it makes perfect sense... in 500 words or less.
Kayleen
Jan 02, 2013
Nicole Romero
rated it it was ok
May 03, 2020
Biena (The Library Mistress)
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Biena (The Library Mistress) by: Omi
Shelves: my-library, 2014, pinoy
I'm really bad at anthologies. They slow me down. But I tell you people, this one's really good. ...more
Mary Joy
Aris
Aug 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Doll: The Lost Short Stories
  • The Perfect Heresy: The Revolutionary Life and Spectacular Death of the Medieval Cathars
  • The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea
  • Living World Of Animals
  • His Way: The Unauthorized Biography of Frank Sinatra
  • Rage of Angels
  • Master of the Game
  • The Lost World (Professor Challenger, #1)
  • The Lost World (Jurassic Park #2)
  • The Chrysalids
Noelle Q. de Jesus was born in the US, grew up in Manila, and spent most of her adult life as a writer, wife and mother in Singapore. She has published short stories in the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore and the US.

Noelle is also author of a chicklit novel, Mrs MisMarriage (Marshall Cavendish International 2008) under her married name, Noelle Chua. She also conceptualized the literary anthology