Start by marking “Time for Bed” as Want to Read:
Time for Bed

Time for Bed

Darkness is falling everywhere and little ones are getting sleepy, feeling cozy, and being tucked in. It’s time for a wide yawn, a big hug, and a snuggle under the covers—sleep tight! “Working beautifully with the soothingly repetitive text, each painting conveys a warm feeling of safety and affection.” —School Library Journal
Board Book, 28 pages
Published September 1st 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1993)

Start your review of Time for Bed
Rob
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: with-holden
A good bed time story for kids—but mostly because it's about going to bed.

It's full of the following misinformation:
• The "whole wide world" is actually NOT going to sleep. Only your half of the world is going to sleep. Or perhaps more accurately, "only approximately 1/24th of the world is going to sleep while approximately 7/24ths are asleep (less some 3rd shift workers)".
• Some of these species do not care for their young. And in fact would probably eat their young.
• A "baby bee" does NOT look
David Schaafsma
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Borrowed from Owlseyes, thanks!

Mem Fox on being detained by US immigration: 'In that moment I loathed America'
Mem Fox

Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My two year old wants to read this every night.
It makes a great board book and bedtime story. It has that "classic" feeling to it much like Goodnight Moon and Brown Bear Brown Bear.
Janelle
Oh this book is such a delight. I've read so many picture books lately that are such rubbish, it was wonderful to read one of such high quality. The text was beautifully and simply written and illustrations were soft and reminiscent of nightfall. I read a copy online through open library, but I'm sure a hardcopy would be worth investing in if you have young children.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-book
I hadn't realised this was a Mem Fox book until I was looking for a couple of little board books for Hugh for Christmas. To be honest, I found the cover so ugly - something about the colours and typeface and overall design - that I'd never picked it up before.

But I love Mem Fox - I grew up with Possum Magic which was a huge favourite of mine, and Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge. A friend gave us Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes at our baby shower, which Hugh (and I) love, but this is new
Hannah
Mar 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I only give it three stars because it is not totally accurate. For example, it says, "it's time for bed, little sheep, little sheep. The whole wide world is going to sleep" I know they needed this to rhyme but first of all, baby sheep are not called sheep but lambs--it teaches children the wrong word. And secondly, the whole wide world is not asleep. In France, they could be just waking up!
I know, picky little things. But you may as well teach the children the correct things in the first place.
Jenica Rogers
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gwyn approves. We read this four times tonight.
Julia Smith
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of those times when sentimentality is coloring my ratings. Before I had a kid and received this tiny board book as a hand-me-down, if you'd shown is to me, I might have called some of the illustrations a little...dated, and written it off because the fact that the only human child in the book happens to be a blond-haired, white cherub. (I probably still wouldn't buy it as a gift for others for that reason.)

That said, at some point I did pick up this book and realized what a calm,
Brenda (aka Gramma)
Our favorite night-night book. White text makes it semi-visible in a room with a night light, although this isn't really necessary because it's not a story. It's a series of big animals lovingly telling little ones it's time for sleep. We have books for play but this soothes a 2 year old off to dreamland. I don't like the line towards the end "The very last kiss is almost here", and always change it on the fly, but so he still knows it's almost night-night kiss time.

Pictures: mouse, goose, cat,
Heather
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfectly lovely.

Also, the lines are constructed in such a way that substitutions are pretty easy. It's easy to add an endearment of choice into the final couplet, or to slip in the name one's own baby. I swap out "sheep" for "lamb." "It's time for bed, little lamb, little lamb. In the whole wide world, you're my only Sam." He likes that page.
Kristin
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
The painted illustrations of the animal parents' gently attempting to get their child to sleep are adorable. The rhyming, repetitive story is soothing, but I think the snake's response is my favorite.... Good gracious me, you're still awake?! We can relate, mama snake!
Kristin Gardner
This story is very sweet. This would be a perfect book to read to children before bedtime or naptime. I like how it went through different animals and their families getting ready for bed. This book has great illustrations and rhymes. A very sweet story!
Maxwell Rae
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Not much to say. Mostly unmemorable. Neither bad nor great.
Mairead
I think this may replace our going to bed book once A one day gets down bed-time todos. Gorgeous illustrations and I love the prose and repetition.
Lin
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: granny-books
I like it and more importantly, my granddaughter really likes it!
C.
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Time For Bed”, illustrated by Jane Dyer, is a special book I imagine parents reading to infants, toddlers, and beyond; a warm part of tucking-in that families would cherish. It is brief enough to always fit in; a thematic, soothing tradition. I would enjoy giving this to my niece and coming nephew. A unique touch I learned is that author Mem Fox, is a famous name in Australian board books. It seems right to know any good author in Canada.

I am giving four-star feedback because no story was woven
Renee
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This review consists of two parts: 1. What my son thinks; and 2. What I, his Mom, thinks.

SON SAYS:

I like it when my Mom reads this book to me even today when I'm 5 years old. It reminds me of when I was younger. I like looking for where the baby and the mommy or daddy animals are in the pictures. I can even pick out the words of the animals in the book. My favorite picture is the one of the kitties. I wish there was a picture of a puppy like Zara - my aunt's dog. It makes me happy when my Mom
Eva Leger
Jul 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
Awesome book for a young childs bedtime! Time for Bed is a rhyming book that showcases several animals rhyming a sentence and telling their baby it's time for bed. The end of the book shows a Mother putting her baby to bed. Very sweet, very cute and the words all mesh well.
Illustrations are okay, nothing real special but adequate. Julia, being almost 5, is a little old for this now I think. This is for the younger crowd, more along the lines of -3 or -4.
Meg McGregor
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books to help your littles go to sleep. This book should be part of every parent and child's bedtime routine!

The pictures are soft, warm, comfy-cozy, and comforting - all at the same time.

The repetitive text, and the soothing illustrations, will help create the soft ambiance necesary for little ones to relax and go to sleep!

My favorites are the pictures of the goose, cat, and dog families!
Tiffany
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet little bedtime book. I love the illustrations, and the length is perfect for our short and sleepy attention spans. No, the whole wide world does not all sleep at the same time, nor does it use the proper names for the respective baby animals, but I find I don't care about that one little bit when I am tucking that toddler into bed. There will be plenty of time for those discussions when we grow out of board books. One of my favorites for bedtime.
Emerson and Theodore
Very sweet. We are reading this book every night now for Theodore. He loves it and it really puts him in the mood for sleep. We see and read about each animal being put to bed by its mommy or daddy animal. The stars and moon vary in each scene and Theodore likes finding the moon and pointing out which animals he sees. On the final pages are a little child and his/her mommy (can't really tell if it's a boy or girl). Very good effect on our little 2 year old.
Kristin's Novel Cafe
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best bedtime books I've ever read. My daughter and I read it every night. It is a sweet book about parents and children from the animal's points of view...until the end. When my daughter was first learning to talk she would point to the Mom and say 'Mama' and then point to me. She would do the same for the child in the book, except say 'baby'.

Brings back many, many sweet memories for me.
Natasha
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-girls-books
My youngest one always saves this one for last. This book is one of the ones that inspired me to keep track of the books I read to the girls. It might be fun for them to someday see all the books they loved (or hated or were indifferent too) way back when.
Hannah Groeschen
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bedtime-books
This book was one of my favorites growing up because I loved look at the detailed pictures. It is a great "going to bed" book, but it is also a great book to read if your child loves animals or colorful pictures.
Frankie 1K B4 K
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorites as a baby. As a 5 year old tonight, I squealed "Oh! I love this one!" when my mom brought it out. I love the sweet animals and all the rhyming. It's such a lovely bedtime book.
Jazmin Palma
Lovely book to read at bed time or during quite/rest time in school. Children can also learn about different animals. It has some great rhyming words and I would ask the children to look or listen for the rhyming words.
Tammie
Jun 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
The book may contain some misinformation like baby bees being tiny bees instead of larva, but I give it four stars for it's soothing quality and it's gorgeous illustrations.
Summer
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet bedtime story that is already being read to the baby {in utero}.
Camie
Cute bedtime classic. All three grandchildren have it now. Ellie's March book.
Denise
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful book is a must read for all children!

• Big Red Barn
  • Katy and the Big Snow
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Doggies: A Counting and Barking Book
  • Is Your Mama a Llama?
Mem Fox was born in Australia, grew up in Africa, studied drama in England, and returned to Adelaide, Australia in 1970, where she has lived with her husband, Malcolm, and daughter Chloë, happily ever after.

Mem Fox is Australia’s most highly regarded picture-book author. Her first book, Possum Magic, is the best selling children’s book ever in Australia, with sales of over three million. And in