Start by marking “Slinky Malinki” as Want to Read:
Slinky Malinki

Slinky Malinki

(Hairy Maclary #6)

From the creator of Hairy Maclary comes a new series starring a rascally cat named Slinky Malinki. “What was he up to? At night, to be brief, Slinky Malinki turned into a THIEF.” But by morning, Slinky comes to realize that crime doesn’t pay.This story spins off a character first introduced in HAIRY MACLARY SCATTERCAT. Previously available in the U.S. only in library ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Tricycle Press (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Slinky Malinki, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slinky Malinki

Start your review of Slinky Malinki
Mischenko
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slinky Malinki is on the prowl at night looking for items to add to his heaping stash. He steals whatever he can find from slippers to teddy bears. One night he steals more than ever and gets busted by his human family.

All over town,
from basket and bowl,
he pilfered and pillaged,
he snitched and he stole.
Slippers and sausages,
biscuits and balloons,
brushes and bandages,
pencils and spoons.

This book is hilarious and the illustrations are perfect. What I love most about it though, is that it's great
Andrew
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
‘Slinky Malinki was blacker than black a stalking and lurking adventurous cat.’ A great opening to an excellent rhyming story about a mischievous cat who spends the night ‘pilfering and pillaging’ from houses in the neighbourhood.

What I particularly like about this story is the use of language where everyday items like glue, pens and teddy bears are rhymed into a story and wrapped up with words that are unfamiliar or unusual but their meanings can be extracted, as quite often several words are
Jamie
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This was a fun read. Slinky Malinki is an adorable cat. by day is is fun and playful and at night his naughty, mischievous side appears and boy does this cause trouble!

I can just see a cat doing what he pulls in this book! It got quite the laugh out of me and the kids. if you have ever had a cat with a sneaky side, you can easily relate to this book to some degree. The drawings are good and engaging. My biggest problem is with what the cat takes. It just doesn't fit. I wish different items were
Mathew
Even better than Hairy Maclary. Recommended for the lovely sense of rhythm but also the rich language that Dodd doesn't shy away from. Favourite line: 'A tatty old sneaker, a smelly old sock and Jennifer Turkington's pottery smock'
Marita Hansen
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Probably my favourite out of Lynley Dodd's books for kids.
Stacy Slater
Sep 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Slinky Malinki may be "cheeky and cheerful," but he's a feline leading a double life. By night he turns into a thief, prowling the neighborhood for an odd assortment of goods. With words like "pilfering" and "rapscallion" embedded into the rhyming story, this is a great book for vocabulary development for preschool through grade 2. The list of stolen items drags on a bit, and some of the rhymes are a little forced, but overall this is a romping, rollicking tale.
Susan
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
This is a cute book. The rhythms and rhymes are enjoyable, and I think will charm a child. The illustrations are great. The author obviously has a good imagination and sense of humour, as well as the ability to translate them to a lovely book.
Julie
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I loved reading about this "rapscallion cat" and his naughty nightime adventures! This book just has to be read aloud no matter your age or audience or lack thereof! The rhyming language is truly delightful and the tone of the book is whimsical and fun.
Carys O'Neill
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My housemate (Eleanor Abbott) read this book to me and it was great! I really enjoyed all the descriptive language and how you could visualise what slinky Malinki “prowling” through the night. It would be a great book to read to a class. For a ks1 class especially it would give them some great descriptive vocabulary.
Martin Carberry
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
“Slinky Malinki
was blacker than black,
a stalking and lurking
adventurous cat.”
Told in rhyme, this is the story of Slinky Malinki, a cheeky and friendly cat by day, a master pilferer by night. Children will learn about rhythm and rhyme as they follow the hilarious antics of this rapscallion cat. The rich vocabulary of this book broadens its spectrum making it accessible to a larger audience. The hilarious illustrations will charm its audience. This book is entertaining and interactive with plenty
Ivan
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I must say that i love rhyming books! not only do they amuse children but more laughter is created when a verse ends with a rhyming word they weren't expecting to hear. The rhymes flow in a vividly manner bringing the story to life. The art does a very good job of showing what the characters and settings look like and offer a satisfying ending for the mischievous and thiefing cat.

It has since become not only one of my favourite books to read but a vast majority of my current Year 3 class.
Melki
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidstuff, cats
This one is similar to Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy, only this time, cats are on the prowl. More great sound effects and delightful pictures. I really wish our library had more of this series.
Sarah Newman
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hardcopy
Was given this for my daughter. Having read a lot of poorly scanning children's books, it was a real joy to find one that read so nicely. Fun story - I don't recall reading this one as a child. I'm sure I'll be able to recite this in a month or so :)
Andrea
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!
Olivia Slykhuis
Very cute. Reminds me of my sister's cat Stinky, who ALSO fits with the rhyme. Good rhyme, cute story, noting amazing. Will display for my pets storytime. 3+
Allison
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cat lovers and early readers
This is the original Slinky Malinki book my mom had brought home from England for my children when they were little. We had a wonderful black cat at the time and he was an indoor-outdoor cat, named Johnny, who looked like Slinky Malinki. We always wondered what he was up to when he was out and about and when the kids were little, he'd frequently stay out all night and return to us in the morning for food, love and sleep. Since then, I've been surprised that the series has never really caught on ...more
Perry Nathanson
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-book
Slinky Malinky by Lynley Dodd is a children’s book about a very mischievous black cat. He’s playful and fun during the day, but at night he sneaks out and turns into a thief. He steals things from neighbors, drags them home and puts them in a huge pile at his house. The pile falls over and wakes up his family who accuse him of stealing and return everything to its owners. The book is beautifully illustrated, very descriptive and rhymes so children want it read to them over and over which is a ...more
Eleanor Abbott
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I actually read this book for the first time (since I was a child) out loud to my housemate. I tend never to read picture books out loud at the moment and interestingly it made the experience much more fun. Something never to forget when reflecting upon the use of picture books as it can change the way you look at them.
Slinky Malinki was a personal favourite of mine as a child as the rhyming and mischievous nature makes you want to keep turning the pages. It is a great way to easily get children
Amanda
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Genre- Fiction
Awards Won- None
Illustrations- The pictures are fun because you get to see all the things that Slinky Malinki steals and you watch his stash grow and grow.
Summary- Slinky Malinki is a good cat but at night he steals things from other people; he has taken a glove, toys, food, etc.! Finally his owners find his stash of goodies when he gets all tangled up in his stolen goods. Slinky Malinki has to give all of his items back and learned to never take things again.
My view- This has a
Jessica
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
An amazing book. It was so fun to read out loud. I love the word choices. It is a perfect example of a picture book having high vocabulary!

Ex. " Then Slinky Malinki, rapscallion cat" (pg 23)

"He pilfered and pillaged , he snitched and he stole."(pg 11)

Thank you Ashley Young for recommending this book!
Anthony
The fun loving Slinky Malinki was cheeky and cheerful, friendly and fun during the day, but at night he became wicked and fiendish and sly. During the dark hiding in the shadows, Slinky Malinki was a thief, who stole things, and drugged them back to his house on the hill. What will it take to cure Slinky Malinki of his criminal ways?
Heidi
We chose this through the inter-library loan, and enjoyed it as a bedtime read. My kids enjoyed that it sounded like poetry and all the rhymes.

Cat lover’s and those wanting to read about a bit of turned around mischief will enjoy the read. It’s cute.
Kerri Selby
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this book, in fact I think I enjoyed more than my 4 year old!
Slinky Malinki is a very naughty cat, in fact he portrays just how much cats are a law to themselves, and extra special A**eholes
The rhyming words really help the story to flow at a lovely pace.
Andy Hickman
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
“Slinky Malinki” by Lynley Dodd

‘Slinky Malinki was blacker than black a stalking and lurking adventurous cat.’

Great series … cheeky cat!

… "pilfering" and "rapscallion"
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Slinky Malinki is a naughty cat by night- stealing things from around the neighborhood. But when caught in an embarrassing mess of all his stolen things- Slinky Malinki is shamed out of his bad behavior.
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Zaz
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The text was well done and I liked the beginning of the story. The list of items wasn't really fun to read and I found that the story went nowhere interesting. The art was ok and did well in showing the cat's expressions.
Nicola
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Miss 2 loves it. She points to the window that he's going to climb into so that he can be naughty and steal the sausages.
KaylaAnn
excellent; can be read as a stand-alone
Kaylee
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was introduced to the Slinky Malinki books in my Early Childhood Education class. They are about a cat who is a thief. It is very cute and funny story of the cat's antics and the outcome.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Moon: A Peek-Through Picture Book
  • Mog the Forgetful Cat
  • Winnie the Witch
  • The Incredible Book Eating Boy
  • Can't You Sleep, Little Bear?
  • Beegu
  • The Church Mouse
  • Peace At Last
  • Zog
  • The Smartest Giant in Town
  • The Gruffalo
Dame Lynley Dodd is an internationally celebrated writer for children whose titles are highly regarded and much loved by her readers in New Zealand and around the world. Her stories are known for their lively sound qualities, curious animal characters, and the memorable illustrations that accompany the text. Lynley has received numerous awards, both for her writing and illustration, and in 2002 ...more

Hairy Maclary (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy