Start by marking “Ten on the Sled” as Want to Read:
Ten on the Sled

Ten on the Sled

Author Kim Norman (Crocodaddy) and illustrator Liza Woodruff have whipped up a rollicking, jolly, snow-filled adventure!
Published October 5th 2010 by Sterling Children's Books (first published September 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ten on the Sled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten on the Sled

Cassie
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Update: Only the shortened board book version doesn’t follow the tune of “Ten on the Bed.” The paperback version is great and I’m upping my rating to 5 stars. The board book version still gets 2 stars.

———

I was so disappointed to find that only the first page followed the tune of "Ten on the Bed."
Omid Milanifard
May 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's about teaching number to kids, but I think is not attract child good enough..
Dorine
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children who need to learn variety in language.
I borrowed this one from the library, thinking our youngest granddaughter would enjoy it. Instead, the nine-year-old caught on to the similarities to Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed and thought it was cute.

The illustrations are beautifully rendered with great expressions on the animals. What I enjoyed about the story, of course, is that it reminded me of my favorite Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed, but also the words used in each example. When one "fell" off the sled, they would sp
Pamela
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rollicking . . . Rhyming-ly . . . Frolicsome . . . FUN!

I loved it!! Delightfully lyrical text. Double thumbs up for the playful illustrations.

A sing along, count along, sledding adventure with a motley crew of animals from the Land of the Midnight Sun. My younger Grands will love it too. Perfect for sharing during winter festivities. And if you don't have any Grands or Children of your own to read to, public libraries and various other literary agencies are always in need of passionate volunte
babyhippoface
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm diggin' the fox wearing a crash helmet. Safety first, especially near the North Pole, I guess.

There were ten on the sled, and the caribou said, "Slip over! Slide over!"
So they all slid over, and Seal spilled out.

Before long, all the Arctic animals have toppled out, from walrus and wolf to moose and squirrel(not the Rocky and Bullwinkle type moose and squirrel, although that would've been great).

Kids will recognize the meter of this book quickly and will like the comical illustrations, as w
Megan Edwards
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
Description by Goodreads:
In the land of the midnight sun, all the animals are having fun speeding down the hill on Caribou's sled. But as they go faster and faster, Seal, Hare, Walrus, and the others all fall off…until just Caribou's left, only and lonely. Now, a reindeer likes flying-but never alone, so…one through ten, all leap on again!
An ideal picture book for reading-and
Emma Zvonar
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in a practicum class for 2 year olds. I used a felt board and made felt cut-outs that matched the ten animals and had the children help me take down the animal that fell off the sled then count how many were left each time. This is a fun book to sing and is great to use for a simple math activity of counting backwards from 10. The illustrations are fun and the children have fun laughing at the animals that fall off.
Lynn  Davidson
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a funny rhyming story about ten animal friends who go sledding together in the moonlight. It's a counting book, but the counting starts with ten and goes down to one as one-by-one the animals fall off the sled - all except for caribou. It's made more fun because of word choice, such as Seal spilled out, Walrus whirled out, Wolf wiped out.

This story is full of action while taking the child reader through a learning experience. The illustrations are gorgeous, bold, bright and fun.
Jessica Hostetler
This counting book is set in the winter and the animals are sliding down the hill and it counts down until there is only one on the sled. It is a fun counting book that young children can sing along to. The pictures are well drawn and colorful which makes the read more enjoyable. Teachers can use this book to sing with the children while counting down from ten.
Anna
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I love the illustrations in this! Such vibrant colors and cute creatures. The story is a counting one with each animal falling/sliding etc. off of the sled until there's only one left. I thought the ending was really cute. Great for winter time and for toddlers!
Jesse
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We've had this book checked out for foreverrrrrr! We love it a bunch! A new take on the familiar Ten in the Bed song/book. This time there's a winter twist! We'll be adding this to our personal collection.
Pam
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
What rating to give to a book that has excellent illustrations but a boring text? Counting books are hard for me as an adult and this one is no exception. The concept of counting down is a good one but the text just doesn't keep up a good rhythm nor is it really any fun!
Tomi Alger
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ten animals, mostly from the forest, ride down the mountain on a sled. But, wouldn't you know it, as they zoom downhill, one by one the animals bounce off the sled. This is a counting down book. Kids will love it.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Ten on the Sled is a wintry, outdoor version of the classic song, "Ten in the Bed."

2019 storytime theme: book boogie

Reviewed from a library copy.
Julie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, mk
MK really liked this one. I just thought it was ok
Katy
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This one is pretty fun, and definitely a winter storytime possibility.
Kendra
Counting, animals, sledding, a growing snowball, northern lights...what's not to love?
Alyssa Tabor
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Should be fun for a winter book in baby storytime.
ColoradoBUCK Buck
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
sang it and did the countdown from 10 to 1. lots of animals. was fun. kids liked it. i did too.
Jennifer Margeson
My favorite! My students love it - well written and plenty of action words to involve my listeners. I love singing this to my preschool music classes!
Viviane Elbee
Fun winter-time book. There are ten animals smushed on a sled...
Mallory Vickers
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el230
I read this book during class. I like this book because its a winter time book and also a counting book. I think one lesson teachers could do with this book is doing subtraction and addition problems with it.
Rebecca Gomez
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you like sledding (or at least the idea of sledding) and counting backwards from then, then you'll enjoy this book.
Amber
Feb 11, 2017 added it
Title: Ten on the Sled
Author: Kim Norman
Illustrator: Liza Woodruff
Genre: Counting
Theme(s): Counting, animals, winter, friends, verbs

Opening line/sentence:
On a sunlit night,
‘neath a snowy moon,
there was ONE on the sled,
then TWO, but soon…

Brief Book Summary:
In a winter wonderland, 10 animals are gliding down a hill on a sled too small to fit under them! One by one the animals fall off until it’s just the caribou. Once it’s just him, he invites all his friends back on because sledding alone is no
Chelsea Williams
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
This is a wonderful little story about counting backwards from 10. It would be a great book to use with Preschool/Kindergarten on counting backwards from ten. It includes a diverse array of different animals, and talks about including everyone in what you do. I really liked this book and hope to use it in my classroom someday. It was fun to read, and I believe that kids would really like it. I know the cover really enticed me to open the book.
Laurie
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Jacque Stengel
Nov 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A cute backwards counting book that entails a moose, a squirrel, a fox and all sorts of other animals. Along to the tune of "Ten on the Bed", the animals find themselves going on a thrilling sled ride and one by one they all fall off until..... (well, you'll just have to read the book)

What made me smile:

I'll start by mentioning the illustrations. They are adorable! Each animal has it's own personality as they fall off the sled. The story itself, with all of the rhymes is really neat. It goes ver
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
If there is one children's picture book you buy this year, this should be it! I picked this up last week while working at my son's school's Scholastic Book Fair and it's been a hit ever since! This story has been read numerous times since coming home. It's funny, it's engaging, and it can be read to the tune of "There Were 10 In The Bed". In fact, I usually sing the story to my kids to that tune.

This story is not only highly entertaining, as hysterical laughing ensues, but it's bright illustrat
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it
The big draw here is that most of the text can be sung (with a little practice) to the tune of "There Were Ten in a Bed." The story's pretty basic with ten animals on one toboggan sledding down the hill and falling off the sled one by one. Wackiness ensues. Each animal has some sort of winter gear be it earmuffs, a sweater or even a helmet, but moose takes the cake with goggles and rainbow colored leg warmers. Liza Woodruff's get the plot across competently while adding fun details like the snow ...more
Luann
Dec 19, 2011 rated it liked it
With rhyming text and great word choice, this one begs to be read aloud! (Or even sung aloud to the tune of Ten in the Bed as many others here have suggested.) It also uses fun alliteration (hare hopped out, squirrel squeezed out, moose muddled out) and counts backwards from ten as each animal falls off the sled on its way down the hill. Kids will enjoy keeping track of all the animals as they continue down the hill in a giant snowball after they've fallen off the sled. This is perfect for a win ...more
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
  • If You're Happy And You Know It: Jungle Edition
  • Down by the Station
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Tracks in the Snow
Kim Norman is the author of more than a dozen children’s books published by Sterling, Scholastic and two Penguin imprints. Titles include Ten on the Sled, (Sterling) which spent weeks on Barnes and Noble’s Top Ten bestseller list and has been released in Korean and German editions as well as appearing in Scholastic Book Fairs in schools around North America. I Know a Wee Piggy, was reviewed in the ...more