Start by marking “Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever

Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever

From the author of How to Create a Mind comes a book about the science behind radical life extension.

Startling discoveries in the areas of genomics, biotechnology, and nanotechnology occur practically every day. The rewards of this research, some of it as spectacular as science fiction, are practically in our grasp. Fantastic Voyage shows us how we can use these new techn
Published October 1st 2005 by Plume Books (first published 27th 2004)

Start your review of Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever
Kathrynn
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was published in 2004 and I would love to see it updated! Two authors collaborated: Ray Kurzwell, PhD (futuristic thinker) and Terry Grossman, M.D. Anti-Aging specialist and expert in Longevity Medicine. Little side note that Ray Kurzwell designed the message typewriter wheels the govn't used... :-)

The book uses three bridges to describe content. The First Bridge is the authors' Longevity Program. This has the current options available, but spruced up. Things we already have access to.
Richard Houchin
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book cites a lot of recent medical studies, and it's heavy on specific numbers and sciency talk. I particularly like the run-down of what the essential vitamins and mineral are, what effects they have been observed to have, what effects overdosing on them causes, and what amounts are probably safe for most people.

It's also nice that the book lists the names of the blood tests that will let you know what your level of these nutrients are.

One of the studies cited was a Mayo Clinic study which
Garret
May 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is a collaboration between the number one futurist of our time and one of the top doctors in preventitive medicine. It has an extreme premise: that within our lifetime scientists will find a way to stop the aging process and the goal is to live as healthy as possible in order to make it to that point. As shocking as it sounds, they actually back up their premise with a fair amount of pursuasive emperical data, including a number of technoligical developments that already exist. But whe ...more
Ethan Fixell
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was ok
the parts on nutrition are pretty sweet, but it took me literally FOR..EV..ER (name that movie) to get through the fucking rest of the crap on heart disease, amino acids, dietary supplements and brain malfunctions. this book is definitely meant for a soon-to-be-dead middle aged dude. not a strapping young twenty-something like myself.

this one isn't nearly as good as Food Revolution, but still, an interesting read if you've got the patience.

ugh...i'm done with health books for awhile.
William Cane
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is my bible. As a nutritionist, I was awed by the breadth and scope of the discussion of supplements and health ideas. Kurzweil's visionary portrayal of the future is inspiring. Dr. Grossman's coverage of health is also inspiring and educational. A must read for anyone who cares about their own longevity.
Dan
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fantastic Voyage is a most hopeful book. According to the authors (Kurzweil and Grossman), if you can live for another 20 to 30 years, you might be able to live indefinitely. Getting past the next 20 to 30 years is the challenge. The book is basically advice on healthy ways of living in order to live to such a time when science and technology have advanced to the point where science has eliminated threats to your health.

The authors give advice on vitimins and supplement to take to increase your
Quentin Feduchin
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
"So much information, heavy duty reading.."
(I wrote this having only read a quarter of the book, but needing to read no more to review it!)

I have indeed looked at a few parts later in the book that interested me, one of which is the small matter of alcohol. (A little is good for you; you will live longer; too much is bad - most of us know that.)

There is such a wealth of detail that no-one will have any excuse not to enjoy much better health. The detail of the materials of 'the stuff of life', wh
The Laughing Man
Almost Helpful A Bit Repetative

There are some valuable tips and recommendations here, also informative about new and upcoming technologies but nowhere near being a full blown manual for a fantastic journey
Yates Buckley
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: curious, self-change
An important book that helped make radical life extension a pop theme for many years after. The hypothesis so far has not quite worked except for extremely wealthy people and complicated treatments that seem to offer an edge.

What is really important and a shift that society still has to make is to emphasise mantaining good health, avoiding disease as being more important than repairing what goes wrong. This emerges automatically from healthy life extension movements.
David Rosage
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
By far my favorite book this year. This book has inspired me to make better health decisions and has helped me start a new eating/supplementation regimen. Having made these changes I feel the best I have felt since high school. Their scientific approach to health was really interesting...
Justin
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Not particularly dense or novel in terms of applicable information. To clarify,
there are many interventions listed, but many of them are familiar and those that are not usually aren't well explained. Rarely cites studies.
Nick
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I appreciate everything he writes, I agree with maybe 87.3% of it, but to live life as he suggests does not seem like a life worth living!
Daniel
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I find the parts about how to improve your health through nutrition, excercise etc. incredibly valuable. Moreover, it really surprised me what a big change in longevity and quality of life you can presently attain through those means.

This topic is not the only focus of the book. The authors also go to great lengths to explain the biological mechanisms involved in the processes of aging and, thirdly, their outlook on what improvement the future might bring.

For me, the mix of the three aspects ins
George
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was a good update to Kurzweil's earlier book, "The 10% Solution". They were written about ten years apart, so I would recommend that anyone who is interested in learning how they can lose weight, improve their immune systems, and alter their biochemical makeup to their advantage pick up this book without delay.

The ultimate goal of the Ray and Terry plan is radical life extension. Live long enough with the fullest health possible to take advantage of possibly future technologies that wi
Patty Apostolides
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Any topic on longevity has been a fascination for me for years. I like to read about centenarians and we subscribe to the Life Extension magazine, and so this book about living longer was one that I had to read.

The book is chock full of information on a number of life extending choices that I'm familiar with, but the authors have added a few more interesting and up to date research. So the book does not disappoint. There are very useful tips that I will return to whenever I need to refresh my me
Paul Mamani
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eternal life has always been the stuff of myth, fantasy, or faith. But artificial intelligence expert and futurist Ray Kurzweil and physician Terry Grossman have a provocative message: that people alive today can make use of existing medical knowledge to extend their lives and remain healthy until a time, just decades hence, when advanced biotechnology will make “radical life extension” (a slightly hedged euphemism for living forever) feasible. It’s an audacious claim, and the authors make a ser ...more
Eric
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, the subtitle is a little provocative. But it's written by Ray Kurzweil and his doctor friend, Terry Grossman, so what else can you expect? The basic premise is that since, according to Kurzweil, the singularity is coming soon, we should do all we possibly can to maintain our health so that we're still around when the rapid changes of the singularity begin to happen. Given the almost absurd premise, the authors put this book together in a great way. They first describe 3 bridges: 1- current/ ...more
George Shubin
Apr 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Monsanto used to have a slogan, "Better living through chemistry." Kurzweil takes this up a notch. Actually, he takes it up a quantum leap. The sub-title, "Live Long Enough to Live Forever", posits our ability to extend human lifespans through our geometrically increasing knowledge and computing power. Enough time and technological advancement will result in our ability to prevent diseases and aging to such an extent that we will achieve practical immortality.

Of course, that's under the assumpti
Graham
Nov 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Oh man, if you have a terrible fear of death like I do you should read this book. At the very least, it makes you *think* it is possible to live forever, thus extinguishing the fear of the inevitable. A valuable tool if you need peace of mind. It does not get five stars because there is too much work involved in living forever. I want results now. I also lost this book and can't recollect the strict lifestyle required to make it through the next 50 years to the point when science will cure death ...more
Lauren
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
I liked this book. It's heavy on science, but the format and writing style made it a bit easier to read. The authors have extremely health-focused lifestyles.

They emphasize regular exercise (walking 30-60 minutes a day); eating lots of green vegetables; drinking green tea instead of coffee; taking dozens of supplements; avoiding sugary foods, fatty foods, red meat, and foods with a high-glycemic load; managing stress (meditation); maintaining a positive outlook on life; and learning new things,
Joseph Santiago
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I hope that the information contained in this book will happen. It seems to me that if it does happen there will be many people resisting change and new information at every innovation. Many of the supplements and combinations of diet with vitamins are beyond the desire for me to make part of a regiment. I hope to have an IA that becomes my online shadow and somehow we are linked to create a living interactive archive of me. A bit of a sophist wish I admit but I want a chance to become more than ...more
Scott
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read. For the most part it was quite informative and although it's not a new book most of his predictions are true.

The only thing I didn't enjoy is that there are parts of the book - especially when he discusses various tests - that seem like they've been added with the goal of making the book seem more scientifically based.

Ultimately I have learned some things, and it's prompted me to do further research in some areas. The key take home message I got was avoid foods with
Alex
Jul 22, 2009 rated it liked it
The book was ok, unfortunately the good health information was mixed with some pseudoscience, and some of the stuff was very difficult to get a good bead on whether it is credible or not- even for researchers.

I did make some diet changes based on the recommendations in this book, and the overall effects have been very positive. Unfortunately, given how complicated the human body is, it appears impossible to me to find authoritative answers on a lot of things.
Renee
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
I dropped it so take this with a grain of salt...It motivated me to take better care of myself but I don't think the concept is very realistic. The authors say if we do ALOT of certain things we could live long enough to experience the medical breakthroughs to live for hundreds of years...no thanks. The original plan of just going when it's time sounds better to me!
Bill
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the most interesting and provocative book on health that I have ever read, from one of the greatest minds of our time. It's easy to dismiss some of Kurzweil's recommendations as craziness, because they seem so extreme. But I suspect anyone would be 50% healthier by following his plan--maybe 100%. 200%? How would you measure that, anyway?
Erin
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book definitely has the intriguing allure of the author's belief that we are advancing towards the possibility of living for forever. It focuses mainly on the advances in research in nutrition and medicine. There was definitely some beneficial information I am taking away from this book, specifically in regards to nutrition, but it is very long and some chapters are almost painful to read.
Enrique Mañas
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I certainly enjoy Ray Kurzweil, even being a partial sceptic of his work. Sometimes I just do not know if I have read the book previously. The ideas are 60% transversal among all his books, and sometimes seems repetitive - which is maybe good in terms of learning, but not in terms of getting new knowledge.
Patrick
You won't want to eat sugar again. This book is all about eating healthy enough to live long enough to live forever. The idea is that in the near future the technology of medicine may allow us to replace parts, keep ourselves younger, and continue to live and live.

Scary idea, but interesting.
Nasim
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone seriously interested in learning about their body, health, nutrition
You think you know something about vitamins, what to eat, what that piece of bread is really doing to your body? You don't know na'.

Read this. It may change your life. Or, you may get bored to death by the science and throw the book through my window.
Kimberly
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kimberly by: my nerd-tastic husband
This one is a bit more medically inclined, but its well written and Mr. Kurtzweil's view points are pretty sci-fi. On the other hand, many of his predictions are beginning to surface in the worlds of genomics and nano-technology which only lends to his credibility (if not his fanaticism).

• This Will Change Everything: Ideas That Will Shape the Future
  • Bubble Of American Supremacy
  • The Evolution of Nuclear Strategy
  • Hacker, Maker, Teacher, Thief: Advertising's Next Generation
  • The Great Disruption: How Business is Coping with Turbulent Times
  • Present at the Future: From Evolution to Nanotechnology, Candid and Controversial Conversations on Science and Nature
  • Future Savvy: Identifying Trends to Make Better Decisions, Manage Uncertainty, and Profit from Change
  • First Year Nurse: Wisdom, Warnings, and What I Wish I'd Known My First 100 Days on the Job
  • The Next 100 Years: A Forecast for the 21st Century
  • The Utopia of Rules: On Technology, Stupidity, and the Secret Joys of Bureaucracy
  • The New Digital Age: Reshaping the Future of People, Nations and Business
  • The Next Fifty Years: Science in the First Half of the Twenty-First Century
  • Neuro-Linguistic Programming for Dummies
  • The Mindfulness Playbook: How to Bring Calm and Happiness into Your Daily Life
  • Investing For Dummies
  • Wrestling for Dummies
  • Statistical Thermodynamics
  • How the Body Shapes the Way We Think: A New View of Intelligence
Raymond Kurzweil is an inventor and futurist who has published books on health, artificial intelligence, transhumanism, and the technological singularity.

News & Interviews

“Intelligence is that faculty of mind by which order is perceived in a situation previously considered disordered.” —R. W. Young” 4 likes
“REPROGRAMMING MY BIOCHEMISTRY A common attitude is that taking substances other than food, such as supplements and medications, should be a last resort, something one takes only to address overt problems. Terry and I believe strongly that this is a bad strategy, particularly as one approaches middle age and beyond. Our philosophy is to embrace the unique opportunity we have at this time and place to expand our longevity and human potential. In keeping with this health philosophy, I am very active in reprogramming my biochemistry. Overall, I am quite satisfied with the dozens of blood levels I routinely test. My biochemical profile has steadily improved during the years that I have done this. For boosting antioxidant levels and for general health, I take a comprehensive vitamin-and-mineral combination, alpha lipoic acid, coenzyme Q10, grapeseed extract, resveratrol, bilberry extract, lycopene, silymarin (milk thistle), conjugated linoleic acid, lecithin, evening primrose oil (omega-6 essential fatty acids), n-acetyl-cysteine, ginger, garlic, l-carnitine, pyridoxal-5-phosphate, and echinacea. I also take Chinese herbs prescribed by Dr. Glenn Rothfeld. For reducing insulin resistance and overcoming my type 2 diabetes, I take chromium, metformin (a powerful anti-aging medication that decreases insulin resistance and which we recommend everyone over 50 consider taking), and gymnema sylvestra. To improve LDL and HDL cholesterol levels, I take policosanol, gugulipid, plant sterols, niacin, oat bran, grapefruit powder, psyllium, lecithin, and Lipitor. To improve blood vessel health, I take arginine, trimethylglycine, and choline. To decrease blood viscosity, I take a daily baby aspirin and lumbrokinase, a natural anti-fibrinolytic agent. Although my CRP (the screening test for inflammation in the body) is very low, I reduce inflammation by taking EPA/DHA (omega-3 essential fatty acids) and curcumin. I have dramatically reduced my homocysteine level by taking folic acid, B6, and trimethylglycine (TMG), and intrinsic factor to improve methylation. I have a B12 shot once a week and take a daily B12 sublingual. Several of my intravenous therapies improve my body’s detoxification: weekly EDTA (for chelating heavy metals, a major source of aging) and monthly DMPS (to chelate mercury). I also take n-acetyl-l-carnitine orally. I take weekly intravenous vitamins and alpha lipoic acid to boost antioxidants. I do a weekly glutathione IV to boost liver health. Perhaps the most important intravenous therapy I do is a weekly phosphatidylcholine (PtC) IV, which rejuvenates all of the body’s tissues by restoring youthful cell membranes. I also take PtC orally each day, and I supplement my hormone levels with DHEA and testosterone. I take I-3-C (indole-3-carbinol), chrysin, nettle, ginger, and herbs to reduce conversion of testosterone into estrogen. I take a saw palmetto complex for prostate health. For stress management, I take l-theonine (the calming substance in green tea), beta sitosterol, phosphatidylserine, and green tea supplements, in addition to drinking 8 to 10 cups of green tea itself. At bedtime, to aid with sleep, I take GABA (a gentle, calming neuro-transmitter) and sublingual melatonin. For brain health, I take acetyl-l-carnitine, vinpocetine, phosphatidylserine, ginkgo biloba, glycerylphosphorylcholine, nextrutine, and quercetin. For eye health, I take lutein and bilberry extract. For skin health, I use an antioxidant skin cream on my face, neck, and hands each day. For digestive health, I take betaine HCL, pepsin, gentian root, peppermint, acidophilus bifodobacter, fructooligosaccharides, fish proteins, l-glutamine, and n-acetyl-d-glucosamine. To inhibit the creation of advanced glycosylated end products (AGEs), a key aging process, I take n-acetyl-carnitine, carnosine, alpha lipoic acid, and quercetin. MAINTAINING A POSITIVE “HEALTH SLOPE” Most important,” 1 likes