Start by marking “The Works of Henry David Thoreau” as Want to Read:
The Works of Henry David Thoreau

The Works of Henry David Thoreau

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  294 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The works of Thoreau in one collection with active table of contents. Works include:

On the Duty of Civil Disobedience
A Plea for Captain John Brown
Walden
Walking
A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers
Wild Apples
Leather Bound, 604 pages
Published 2001 by State Street Press (first published January 1st 1942)

To ask other readers questions about The Works of Henry David Thoreau, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Works of Henry David Thoreau

Rebecca
“It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.” Henry David Thoreau
Linda Hollingsworth
This includes many of his works including Civil Disobedience, Walking, and Walden, three of my favorites. If you aren't familiar with Civil Disobedience it is the standard for living by one's individual ethics regardless of the positions of the state.

Most people are familiar with at least segments of Walden, but I urge everyone to read all of this experiment to live a simple life without the meaningless trappings of society...an honest and detailed account full of beautiful descriptions of his
Abbey
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Walden as college student and thought, "This is ME!!!" I agreed with everything.

I read Walden as a young mother and thought, "Now wait a minute. He's awfully quick to condemn the homesteaders with a lot of stress and strain on their budgets. I don't think I like him."

I read Walden as an empty nester and thought, "He has a lot to learn about real life, but I like him and agree with much of it. This is me."
Jonathan
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves nature
I got this set as a gift before I started college and read the books throughout that last summer at home. Even though I'm not a big nature buff, there's something about Thoreau that makes me want to pack up a cooler and a tent and live in the woods for a while. The simplicity of life is front and center here as are laments of a changing society becoming a slave to technology and creature comforts. It's easy to see the parallels to today.
I'm not planning on giving up my flat-screen HDTV or my hig
Tiffany Davidson
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Eremetic notions have long caused me to be a fan of Thoreau's writings.
Last year, I began delving into philosophy and most recently political philosophy and theory.
When I found out Thoreau was an anarchist, I decided to revisit him.
His words resonated on a deeper level this go 'round.
Patricia Franz
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was eighteen, right before college. It was life changing. A man who becomes one with nature, and not a lonely hermit.
Jessie Seloske-day
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Superb book. Very thought provoking.
Colleen Mertens
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this to correspond to another reading challenge. It covers all of Thoreau's writing on natural history, including Walden. It was interesting to read Thoreau's thoughts on nature and life in general. He definitely doesn't feel like people need much to survive and we should use as little as possible to leave nature alone as much as possible. Much written here we still need to learn from.
John
May 23, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not Complete

This book is not complete by any means. The complete journals are not here so buyer beware! There are better deals elsewhere.
Wyntrnoire
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This volume contains Walden only. Loved it and will reread in a year or so:)
Keri
  • Transcendent Unity of Religions
  • Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah
  • In Tune with the Infinite
  • What We May Be
  • The Mystic Heart: Discovering a Universal Spirituality in the World's Religions
  • Psychosynthesis: A Manual of Principles and Techniques
  • Personhood: The Art of Being Fully Human
  • All Men are Brothers: Autobiographical Reflections
  • Living the Science of Mind
  • Christ the Sum of All Spiritual Things
Henry David Thoreau (born David Henry Thoreau) was an American author, naturalist, transcendentalist, tax resister, development critic, philosopher, and abolitionist who is best known for Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings, and his essay, Civil Disobedience, an argument for individual resistance to civil government in moral opposition to an unjust state.

Thoreau's books
“Shams and delusions are esteemed for soundest truths, while reality is fabulous.” 6 likes
“It is not all books that are as dull as their readers. There are probably words addressed to our condition exactly, which, if we could really hear and understand, would be more salutary than the morning or the spring to our lives, and possibly put a new aspect on the face of things for us. How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book! The book exists for us, perchance, which will explain our miracles and reveal new ones. The at present unutterable things we may find somewhere uttered.” 2 likes