Start by marking “The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes” as Want to Read:

Enjoy eating and cooking all your favourite cheesy dishes without the cholesterol, animal products and dairy allergies that can be harmful to your health.
Published September 15th 2003 by Book Publishing Company (TN) (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook

Start your review of The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
Colelea
Fabulous recipes. My criticism is the cheeses can be really hard to make. The sauces and stuff are easy and wonderful but the cheeses require materials most people do not keep on hand so update yr pantry immediately after buying this to include copious amounts of cheesecloth, pimentos, raw cashews, nutritional yeast and tahini (seriously these things are in almost every recipe!)
Lisa Vegan
Jun 07, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: vegans, those who can't eat dairy products
I wanted to love this book. As a long time vegan, one of the few animal foods I still occasionally miss is cheese, especially sharp cheddar cheese. Unfortunately, all vegan cheeses I've tried, including the recipes in this book, don't taste anything like the "real thing" to me. At least they tried, and I know some people who have really enjoyed the recipes. Also, a lot of vegan cheese recipes seem to call for mustard (a food I don't like at all and can taste in food even in tiny amounts), and mu ...more
Sean
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Vegans, vegetarians, lactose intolerant people, compassionate people
A. B
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
These recipes call for a lot of tofu and soy and yeast, corn, and nuts. The tofu and the soy are used in almost every recipe and it is well known that they are disastrous to health. It's too hard to substitute both of these in every recipe. There are other things that are not healthy but they can be easily substituted or disregarded. The soy and the tofu however have too much of an important role in these recipes.
There was some really great information given in the first 32 pages! But I decided
Carrie
So many people seem to like this book. I want to like it too, but the recipes I've tried have been hit or miss, mostly to do with personal taste, not with preparation. I do like a cheeze sauce she includes--it's one of the easiest vegan "cheeze" sauces that I've encountered. The vegan muenster cheese is quite a treat; not in any way mistakable for the real thing, but certainly not bad and somewhat impressive as a party dish, with crackers and olives, pickles, etc. Other things in the book haven' ...more
Julia
Feb 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This was one of my favorites a few years ago, right after I first turned vegan and missed cheese. It got me through, and now, since I rarely crave that gooey cheezyness, I don't use it much. But I keep it just in case - a few of these recipes are useful for convincing the doubters and cheese-addicts that there is life after cheese.
Tisha (IG: Bluestocking629)
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some cookbooks I can review and rate just by reading them because I know the recipes will turn out terrific. This one was really tough. I earmarked a gaggle of recipes but who's to say how they will turn out... so I may change that rating once I make a couple of the "uncheese" dishes 😊
Gillycat
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
can't wait to try some of these recipes
Carrie
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Ronny
Sep 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I used to be a vegan, and cheese was the one product for which a reasonable facsimile could not be found. Therefore, this book was a Godsend. I only remember making two recipes.

1. A pimento cheese spread. It was good.
2. Mozzarella (sauce?). It was great hot, but terrible cold.

That was enough to make this book essential for me. Since I didn't make more recipes, I did not feel right giving it a higher score.
AJ
Sep 13, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm actually kind of disappointed by this cookbook, and I'm not sure if it's because I already have a mac-n-cheese recipe I love, or because I'm so not into the whole cheese thing anymore, or maybe both. I don't think the cookbook itself is at fault. I tried one of the block uncheeses and thought it was pretty gross because of the texture. That said, I will possibly try one or two of the dips and see if they're better tuned to my palate.
Lisita
Mar 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Skimmed over it and found some great ideas for non-dairy items I never knew existed. My DD outgrew her allergy and I didn't end up trying very many recipes. I was helpful so I rate it a 3 for what I learned but not more because my DD never would eat anything I made from the book. Never look good to her.
Sarah Kelsey
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, food
This is a very well organized and informative book. I haven't yet gained the courage to try any of these recipes (or maybe it's desperation that's required) but I haven't eaten cheese for so long that I don't really miss it. I have been using a vegan cheese on my gluten-free pizzas, so maybe this summer I'll get around to trying out a couple of these recipes.
Grace
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Admittedly, I have only made a few of the recipes in this one, but I always come back to the one for on the French onion soup- I use my own soup recipe, but love her vegan cheese for on the toasts XD

There were a couple more I've used and liked- the Welsh Rarebit and some of the fondue recipes are pretty tasty.
Jayme
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, america
Tons of cheesy goodness. Gives a lot of great, healthy cheese alternatives. Everything from spreads to main courses to blocks of cheese to desserts. Could have scored more points with more pictures. I can't wait to try making my own cheese block, they look delicious!
McArthur Library
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you have ever *loved cheese* and for some reason or another can no longer eat it, this is your NEW BEST FRIEND! Really easy, simple recipes with ingredients you can buy easily right in your town. Delicious, nutritious; a fantastic resource.
Dana
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone that wants to eat less cheese
this book has some great recipes that will satisfy most people's cheese cravings.. most of the recipes are easy to prepare...
Marty
Mar 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I actually have the older edition but anytime you want to make a vegan "cheese" this will have a good solution.
Donna
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Never tried a recipe, but they were intriguing efforts of chemistry.
April
Aug 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vegan-cookbooks
I love the vegan feta! yum!
Deanna
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book saved my life! For those of you looking for dairy-free cheese substitutes that actually taste GREAT, this is the book. Woooohoooooo!!
Brianne
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
The baked macaroni was great, but the Fettuccine Alfonso was lacking. Definitely put some more flavor into the dishes when you make them!
Stephanie
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Let's face it, nothing rakes the place of cheese, but this has some pretty good recipes. (Helps if you like nutritional yeast.)
Lynee
Dec 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
As a long time vegan, I was really excited to try this book. Every recipe I tried tasted nothing like cheese and did not match the texture or look of cheese.
Lynn
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, 2010, cooking
Absolute must for any vegan kitchen!
Susan
Sep 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
It would have been much more appealing with pictures, but even without I found a lot of recipes I would like to make.
Hilary
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Some very good recipes, also some equally not good ones. I use this pretty frequently.
Ann Marie
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Good recipes and great encouragement for those living on a dairy restricted diet who miss cheese terribly!
Daniel Schulte
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really should try some of the recipes before I rate the book, but they all sound fantastic. Must try them!
Cristin
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Wow! Lots of alternative ways to have that "cheese" flavor without the cheese! Wonderful resource!

• The New Laurel's Kitchen
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads & Extras
  • Joy of Cooking
  • Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking
  • The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen
  • Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are
  • The Storm Sister (The Seven Sisters #2)
  • Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia
  • Eat, Drink and Be Vegan: Everyday Vegan Recipes Worth Celebrating
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
  • The Only Woman in the Room
  • Keto Diet for Beginners: 30-Day Keto Meal Plan for Rapid Weight Loss. Ketogenic Meal Prep Cookbook Full of Easy to Follow Recipes! Lose up to 20 Pounds in 30 Days!
  • The Seven Sisters (The Seven Sisters, #1)
  • My Daddy the Serial Killer
  • Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
Joanne Stepaniak, M.S.Ed., is a writer, an educator, a cooking instructor, and the author of several cookbooks.