Start by marking “See Jane Date” as Want to Read:
See Jane Date

See Jane Date

Twenty-eight-year-old Jane Gregg, an assistant editor, has sixty days to find an impressive date for her cousin's elegant society wedding, and after many riotous blind dates, a bout with nicotene withdrawal, and a revealing identity crisis, she finds love in the most unexpected place. Original.
Paperback, 1st Edition, 283 pages
Published November 2001 by Red Dress Ink

To ask other readers questions about See Jane Date, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about See Jane Date

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I'm beginning to think the entire
generation of twenty-something
females is neurotic. And no
wonder, if all they read are
books like this. Jane worries
about everything, every thing
she does, every word out of her
mouth. Bad Jane. Bad, bad Jane.
Lighten up, Jane, lighten up.
Christiana
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
So meh. I've read this book before-not literally but in that this plot line is tired. That's my doing picking it up anyway. But this book never really distinguished itself as special or different for me.

Everyone is very proud of themselves living in Manhattan although they are so poor they can't pay attention. The first half of the book was mainly about smoking cigarettes all the time. The second half of the book was mostly self-realizations that at times felt unnecessary and at other times see
Linda
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: general-fiction, 2005
So. See Jane Date was not the worst book I have ever read. It wasn’t even the worst book I read this year. It was a quick read, entertaining, some depth to the characters. A little of “Must Have a Man” but equal amounts of “Why Do I Think I Need A Man?”. Jane gets annoying here and there, but she knows it. I’m not sorry I read it. I don’t feel like I wasted my time & if anyone ever asked me for a good “chick lit” rec I might even suggest it. But, it’s no Jane Austen.
Julie
Jul 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes chick-lit
One of, if not the best, chick-lit book I have read. See Jane Date follows Jane Green's quest to find a date/boyfriend to take to her cousin's wedding, since she's already told her aunt, cousin, and high school rival that she's so seriously dating someone that they're practically living together. With the help of her two best friends, Jane goes on a series of blind dates to find that guy, all the while vying for a promotion at work and editing her hometown rival's tell-all book.

What I liked so m
Ann
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best chick-flicks I have read. I had no expectations starting reading it but it surprised me by having good and strong characters.

I am used to self-doubting, insecure women. Jane Green, though trying to find a date to her cousin`s wedding, in my eyes is a strong woman. She knew her worth at work and with men. Yes, she had a purpose to find a man because she thought it would define her (that belief changed by the end of the book) but she did not just pick anyone.

Jane had lost her par
Penny
Sep 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book was god-awful. The author actually says at several points that you are a worthless person if you're 30 and still single, that you can't be complete without a man by your side. Jane was not a sympathetic character, but just as phony and self-centered as the people she complained about.
Elusive
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review, favorites
‘See Jane Date’ is about twenty-eight-year-old assistant editor Jane who is looking for a guy to bring to her cousin Dana’s wedding. In the meantime, she’s also yearning for a promotion which hinges on how well she performs as she works with her former school mate she’d always envied, Natasha (referred to as Gnat by Jane) and trying to understand why it’s so difficult to keep a guy interested in her.

Although this book sounds like typical chic lit, it’s actually quite different. It has a serious
Shonali
Nov 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all
Shelves: 2009-reads, chick-lit
If a book can cheer you up and make you laugh and feel good at the end , it was totally worth the time you spent reading it . I loved the book from page 1. I was still laughing when I started this review :)

Jane is an assistant editor at Posh trying to make her way towards Associate Editor and in desperate need of a boyfriend because her YOUNGER cousin Dana is getting married and she doesn’t want to be pitied by her family and mocked at by Dana for attending the ceremony without a date.

To make th
Rebecca
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chicklit
Nadia
I wonder how it's possible to change so completely in mere minutes? Is it really like they say "beauty in the eyes of beholder"? Like Jane's relatives acted awful just because she thought they would but the minute she gave up they became loving and friendly and understanding? I'm not buying it. I still think Dana was not acting nice most of the time. Even aunt Ina was cruel at some point.
But I liked heroine being awkward. It's like she was from that movie 13 to 30 -- turned 30 overnight but insi
Jeanne
Nov 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jeanne by: Maureen Scardina
Shelves: chick-lit
See Jane. See Jane work. Work Jane work.

See Jane. See Jane date. See Jane get dumped.

This is the story of Jane Gregg. The 28-year-old assistant editor just can't seem to win. She can't get promoted, and she can't find a date for her cousin's upcoming wedding.

All of this will eventually change. But in the meantime, readers will experience a few blind dates, a few awkward business meetings, and a whole lot of heartbreak.

Published at the height of chick lit's popularity, See Jane Date contains all
Kimberly
Nov 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
The whole book is about Jane whining to find a man, and the self-pity drips off of every page. It is boring. Instead of waiting for the right man to come by, she could just focus on her job and friends, and be happy with that, but nooo.. She has to whine about not being able to find a guy and thinking it's all her fault. Well, guess what, Jane? It is. Nobody wants a whining little bitch.

I never want to read it again.
Librariann
Seeing Jane date was about as fun as watching paint dry. So unmemorable in fact, that I can barely distinguish it from Milkrun, the other red dress ink title I just read.
Cassi
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe if Jane spent more time talking to her dates instead of over-analyzing her every move or suffering severe flashback syndrome she would have better luck.
Alexis Moore
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jane needs to take a chill pill. Dripping in angst and clearly suffering from chronic anxiety, it's a wonder she can get herself out of bed in the morning. Not a bad romance, but I couldn't really take to Jane. I doubt we could ever be friends.
Fara7
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Annoying in a good way!
Katrina
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good read. It made my weekend better to get pulled into a book.
Angela
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book isn't the greatest in the world ,but it did the job!I remember seeing the movie when I was younger on ABC Family so I wanted to read it.
mizlanah
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
There's a story how I came across this book. I am a big fan of U.S. TV series called Chuck - so, I'm a fan of Zachary Levi and Yvonne Strahovski. I googled for Zachary's filmography at Wikipedia and saw a film titled See Jane Date. I clicked upon it and this film actually is based on the book with the same title! So to conclude everything, here I am, just finished reading the book and am going to review it!

I love this book because it has witty sense of humour. At the very first page of this book
L. Bevilacqua
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
As a newbie to chick lit, See Jane Date was amusing and original. After reading my share of this genre, however, I can say that this is novel is purely mediocre. It's predictable, it's loaded with chick lit clichés, and it has an unsympathetic main character.
Here's the main dirt: It starts when Aunt Ina tries to set Jane up with some Ethan guy, which Jane dodges by saying she has a boyfriend. (A stupid move, I must add. She didn't know crap about him.) Then she's assigned to work on the memoir f
Dana
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
There was a made-for-television movie based on this book a couple of years ago, and since I had seen that before I even heard of the book, I felt that I was wasting my time by finishing something that I know the ending of, and wasn't very good to begin with.
Basically this is the story of a 20-something girl living in NYC and looking for love. Jane is a junior editor at an up and coming magazine and her latest assignment, which will hopefully lead to a promotion, is to interview a famous former c
Pooja
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Like many others, I watched the movie before reading (and even knowing about) this book. And the book left me feeling kinda...eh. I was glad it was something I could read during travel layovers but the flaws with the main character Jane were all over the place! Yes, there are certain events that take place in her life to make you feel a wee bit sympathetic towards her but her constant complaints and lack of self-confidence left high hopes for an ending that ended up being completely unsatisfying ...more
Anja
Jan 27, 2015 marked it as to-read
A Fancy Affair Bridal Salon
Forest Hills, Queens

"Did you know that one of your hips is higher than the other?" the seamstress asked me in a totally conversational tone. The bridesmaid to my left eyed me in the mirror, then her gaze dropped to my hips.

"I didn't," I said. "I never knew that. But I'm glad you told me." The seamstress had the decency to look embarrassed. She ducked her head back down and continued pinning.

Perhaps that had been the reason why Blind Dates One, Two and Three hadn't bee
Mae
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good quick read, Jane is relatable - full of insecurities and pressured to find a man at her age. Work drama to boot. Book starts off with her bitter outlook on life and sarcasm everywhere, but as things brighten up Jane cheers up and her good mood makes the story more uplifting. Saw the ending coming a mile away, Opera man's character surprised me though. People may be right there isn't anything remarkably unique about this book, except maybe it parodies a bit the reality of the writing/publish ...more
Cathy
Loved it! Classic chick lit with a twenty-something woman trying to find herself, a little romance and establish a career and if that's not enough for someone whose already just transitioning into adulthood and facing *gasp* turning thirty without a ring on her finger, her baby cousin Dana is getting married at the famed Plaza and she's just been assigned to edit the memoir (not autobiography!) of high school nemesis Natasha "The Gnat" Nutley. Will Jane ever find love or even a second date? Will ...more
Melissa
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's funny, and I could relate to Jane's multiple blind date stories. I enjoyed seeing into several different relationship types (married, engaged, dating, single) and that the bottom line was not to settle, which I think many people do. Like Jane's friend: "Everyone knows romantic love isn't the same as love-love... You don't marry the ones you're madly in love with. You marry the guy who's gonna love you, the guy you don't have to worry about, the guy who'll make you feel safe and secure." Ugh ...more
Amanda Bailey
Apr 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: someone I didn't like
Moral of the story: Listen to your Aunt Ina. She knows you.

This is not a very good book. The best thing I can say about it is that I will forget about it very soon. I just kept reading, hoping that at some point, it was about to get good. It never got good. It wasn't True, it wasn't heartfelt. It wasn't laugh-out-loud funny. It wasn't even very well written.

I didn't hate the book. I just wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Unless maybe I didn't like them very much and wanted to enact my revenge by
Bridget Bailey
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Melissa Senate that I have read. I just finished a really good read right before this one so it was hard for me to get into this book initially. It started off like all chick lit books and didn't keep my interest. As I kept reading it started to get increasingly better. I liked that she follow the typical pattern that most chick lit books follow which made me want to read more about it. By the middle to end of the book, i really enjoyed this book. It was one of the bett ...more
Beth
Nov 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was a very fast and disappointing read. The story of Jane who feels she must find the perfect man in NYC is filled with Sex and the City cliches and is truly predictable--(it is saying a lot for me to call a book predictable because usually when everybody else already knows what is going to happen in a story--I'm the one who is truly shocked by the ending--that said, this book is super predictable) I finished it though and am ready to pass it on to someone who will, hopefully, enjoy it ...more
Jesse
Mar 11, 2009 rated it liked it
A very likable book and one of my favorite pieces of chick lit, some of what they do that bothers me. Why lie in the first place? Why constantly refuse to meet someone because your family likes them? I think it's better to be honest than try to fake what you must move mountains to produce. Her mishaps and mistakes are funny but at times are annoying. She's flawed and looking for love like the rest of the world but I don't always agree with how she goes about it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Fishbowl
  • Tales of a Drama Queen (Drama Queen, #1)
  • Slightly Settled (Slightly, #2)
  • Confessions of an Ex-Girlfriend
  • Dating Without Novocaine
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • Dog Handling
  • On The Verge
  • A Clean Slate
  • I Do (But I Don't) ( Crandell Sisters, #1)
  • Frenemies
  • Do They Wear High Heels in Heaven?
  • Lost  Found
  • Fifteen Minutes of Shame
  • The Next Big Thing
  • Just Friends
I'm the author of many novels, including my debut, SEE JANE DATE (also available in cute TV movie form to stream); THE LOVE GODDESS' COOKING SCHOOL; and THE BABY SWITCH. I've had two novels published under a secret pen name, but I will happily share if you message me to ask!

I'm now writing romances for Harlequin Special Edition. Coming in March: TO KEEP HER BABY. In June: RUST CREEK FALLS CINDEREL
“Pensavo di aver superato quelle cose. Pensavo di essere orgogliosa di me stessa. Ma quelle donne, per la maggior parte del tutto sconosciute, erano riuscite a farmi sentire di nuovo l'insicura perdente che mi sentivo al liceo. Improvvisamente mi sentivo un'intrusa al tavolo delle ragazze più popolari della scuola. Perchè mi importava così tanto di quello che dicevano gli altri, di quello che pensavano gli altri? Perchè la mia autostima dipendeva così tanto dall'opinione di persone che nemmeno conoscevo? (…) Come poteva qualcuno che non conoscevo nemmeno, o qualcuno che non vedevo da dieci anni, avere così tanto potere su di me?” 2 likes
“Tuo padre e tua madre non vorrebbero che tu incolpassi loro per averti lasciata sola. Come pensi che si sentirebbero? Vorrebbero che tu fossi felice. Che tu vivessi e ti divertissi. Pensa a quanto sarebbe orgogliosa tua madre per la tua promozione. Pensa a quanto sarebbe orgoglioso tuo padre del fatto che avevi messo tutta te stessa nel rapporto con Timothy. Loro sono lassù a fare il tifo per te.” 1 likes