Start by marking “Bill and Pete” as Want to Read:
Bill and Pete

Bill and Pete (Bill and Pete)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  574 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Tomie dePaola has created two memorable friends in this wonderfully funny picture book. Bill, the crocodile, and Pete, his "toothbrush" bird friend, were inspired by the Egyptian plover, which does indeed act as a crocodile toothbrush.

Their adventures together along the banks of the River Nile, which include Bill's first day at crocodile school and an encounter with the Ba
Published July 16th 1996 by Puffin Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Bill and Pete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bill and Pete

Philip
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gwennie: Wait! *Gwennie holds the book up to the screen* YEP! THIS IS IT! This is it. *Takes book away*

Dad: Ok. Lets

Gwennie: Wait! *Gwennie holds the book up to the screen again* YEP! THIS IS THE BOOK! *Takes book away* Give it 3 stars! Gwennie promptly leaves the room singing, "Bang, boom, bang-gali bong..."

Dad: So Gwennie said to give the book 3 stars, what do you think, El?

Eleanor: Uuh! I wanna give it FIIIiiive stars! Or else I might get bummed. I might get bummed daddy. I might. get. bumme
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is an oldie but goodie for storytime for preschoolers (patient preschoolers). I read it to some kids this morning at "reptile storytime" and they LOVED the whole deal with Pete the toothbrush bird as well as the crocodile suitcases. Sure, calling the Bad Guy in the story "The Bad Man" might be a tad simple, but hello, it's a talking toothbrush bird! And, the Bad Man (here's a spoiler) runs away naked, which always gets the kids laughing. It was really fun to share this with the kids.
Theresa C
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ISBN-0-698-11400-0
c1978

This is another humorous book from Tomie dePaola that children will enjoy. Pete is a good friend and memorable character and the bad guy in the story ends up getting scared out of a bath by Bill and runs off without a stitch of clothing! Children will love this part of the story. Also a good title to talk about such words as reptile, cold-blooded and compare alligators and crocodiles!
Claire
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tomie dePaola's story and drawings are irresistible. The illustrations alone are great, full of funny little details (e.g. the wrinkled old crocodile and toothbrush bird offering a warning...). Little ones do not tire of this book!
S. J.
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to S. by: Unknown
I don't know where I got this book because I had never read it before last night. A fact that surprised me because it was such a fun, enjoyable read!

As stated in other reviews, I love Tomie dePaola's work. This was no different, a book with simplistic yet beautiful illustrations and a funny, cute story that made me sad when I reached the end because I wanted to know about Bill and Pete!

Bill or William Everett is a young crocodile who lives on the Nile and gets a 'toothbrush' or a bird named Pete
Dolly
Mar 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We just love books by Tomie dePaola and we like the books in the Bill and Pete series. The first book we read, Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile, had a bit more information about life in Egypt, but this one was a nice introduction to the characters and is a fun book for children who are learning to read. We have put Bill and Pete To The Rescue on hold at our local library and are looking forward to reading it.

Oct 2011 update:
We found a Netflix treat: we just watched Shelley Duvall's Bedtime Stories
Liz
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Week 4:

Pete the bird is William "Bill" Everett's best friend and toothbrush. Pete goes everywhere with Bill and helps him in school. One day, when swimming in the River Nile, Bill is captured by a scary man who turns crocodiles into suitcases. Brave Pete stays close to his friend and helps him escape the scary man's cage. Wanting to teach the scary man a lesson, Bill decides to scare the man before he goes back home to his mama.

"Bill and Pete" is appropriate for ages 3+ (Grades PreK+).

Although
Patricia
Jun 04, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the first Bill and Pete book. Bill is really William Everett Crocodile. Pete is William Everett's toothbrush and best friend. (He is an Egyptian Plover, a bird known for allegedly dining on decaying meat between the crocodiles' teeth.)

William Everett's mama takes him to get a toothbrush the day before he begins school. He learns his alphabet well (it's peculiar, however, that an Egyptian crocodile learns a Western alphabet), but he has problems spelling his own name. Pete helps him by sp
Fjóla
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 4 - 6 year olds
This is the first book we read by Tomie dePaola, as far as I'm aware. This is wonderful slapstick humor for 4 - 5 year olds. The pictures are really bright and funny too. What can you say about a crocodile who forms an intense friendship with his bird toothbrush?
My son brought up this book during his last dentist check-up. Surprisingly the dental assistant had never heard of it. "Have you heard of Doctor De Soto?", he then asked her. Makes me question the literary background of dental hygienist
Heather
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
[library book] Tomie dePaola is perhaps best known for his rather sweet or bittersweet stories -- retellings of fables, gentle reflections on childhood, nursery rhymes, Bible stories. The Bill and Pete books remind us that TdP is also weird and funny. Still compassionate. But it takes a certain sense of humor to invent a story about a friendship between a crocodile and the bird who cleans his teeth.

I also notice that this is the first time Paul has reacted to the emotional plight of a fictional
Josiah
Jan 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book, the first of three to date about Bill and Pete, is probably the better of the first two, in my view. The pictures that Tomie dePaola includes are of a different style than in most of his books, but still are very good, and fit the story well. The basic style of the narrative is similar to that in Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile. I first read this book a long time ago, and remember it well; it's more memorable than I would have guessed. I'd give one and a half stars to Bill and Pete.
Janelle
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of my Author Study. This short story includes several life aspects for children to learn. Through Bill the crocodile and Pete the “toothbrush bird”, children learn the strength and power of friendship. They learn of how helping one another can bring about positive results. This story also shows that standing up for what is right and what we believe in is very important. Our bravery is always recognized!
Pynteya Bate
Mar 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: friendship
Cute story about the crocodile Bill who gets a new “toothbrush” bird Pete. They become friends, but Pete is more like encouragement to the Bill. When Bill goes to school and learns alphabet, Pete is there to tell him that he can do it. One day, Bill gets stolen by the businessmen who will use his skin to make suitcases. Pete follows his friend and helps him to get free. I like this book, it teaches a lot about friendship.
Kate Foran
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bill is best friends with his toothbrush--a bird named Pete. The book has everything, including friendship, school, a proud mother and a close call with a crocodile hunter.

It's weird and adorable.
Jackson Matthews
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
William Everett and Pete are Jaxon's favorite guys. This is a great book for reading aloud, and with the great pictures, one won't mind reading it over and again [or having it read TO ONE over and over].
Sarah Goodner
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
This is probably my favorite Tomie dePaola book. It's just so cute! And everyone loves to see the "bad guy" running scared. It's a great way to introduce symbiotic relationships in nature (the crocodile and his toothbrush).
Marilyn
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book was good because it was ridiculous, and not impressive because of too much storyline remaining after the climax.

Best part: a crocodile walking up a vertical wall. Second best part: the toothbrush was the best friend.
Grace Carey
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this story a lot. It teaches about an unlikely pair of friends, and at the same time touches on the culture of Egypt.
Caryn
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I came across this book today and I had a flashback from my childhood - when I was little I used to find the picture of "The Bad Guy" running away from his house - naked - hysterical...
Emily
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-2nd
Using all these "school" books to introduce school to ECE kiddos. They are going to love these characters!
Emanuel
Hilarious book. There is an illustration of the alligator scaling a wall that kills me every time.
Cana
Aug 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Mommy says: Cana really likes the Bill and Pete books. They're funny and interesting for parents to read. Much discussion about why Bill chooses a bird for a toothbrush.
Nathan Eilers
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all
This is the story of a crocodile and his best friend, who is also his toothbrush. Great illustrations as always and a fun story.
Jamielynn
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Adorable story of two unusual friends. As a child I read this book dozens of times, it was my favorite!
Zen
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Some books I just never get tired of....
nicole
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
my sister borrowed this from her school library. it was a big hit with the girls, although i got really tired of pronouncing poor bill's full name.
Ms. A.
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a great book, especially about related to spelling and overcoming obstacles. Really enjoyed it and the illustrations.
Cws
May 14, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR2-DeP
Christy
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
DePaola has again created an imaginative, humorous tale". -- School Library Journal
  • Chester the Worldly Pig
  • The Island of the Skog
  • One Green Apple
  • Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted to be Noticed
  • That's Good! That's Bad!
  • The Three Little Rigs
  • It's Mine!
  • The Paper Crane
  • This Is the Way We Go to School: A Book About Children Around the World
  • Traction Man Is Here!
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • Faith And The Electric Dogs
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...

Bill and Pete (3 books)
  • Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile
  • Bill and Pete To The Rescue (Picture Puffins)