Start by marking “The Knight and the Dragon” as Want to Read:
The Knight and the Dragon

The Knight and the Dragon

What happens when a sheepish knight and a not-so-fierce dragon fight for the very first time? Well, it?s no ordinary battle since the knight has to go to the castle library to learn about dragon-fighting and the dragon must dig through his ancestor?s things to find out how to fight a knight!?Spontaneity of line and feeling are backed by zesty colors and a jovial, tongue-in ...more
Published April 25th 1980 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Knight and the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knight and the Dragon

Mir
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books, fantasy, picture

What do you do when you need to fight a knight or a dragon but don't know how to go about it?

Obviously!
Evan
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Item 1: Dragon + Knight + Librarian Princess = Awesome.
Item 2: The solution to most problems in the book is more books.
Item 3: Librarian Princess is the hero.
Item 4: (view spoiler)
Item 5: Tomie dePaola's drawings are adorable.

Conclusion: One of the best picture books ever.
Megan Palasik
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I am a speech-language pathologist and I like to use wordless (or almost wordless) books with my preschoolers sometimes to practice their speech sounds in a conversational context, as well as informally assess their sentence structure and story telling skills.

I first want to say that I love Tomie dePaola's books. His illustrations have a uniqueness about them where they show the story with a couple of extra details, but not so many details that the page is overwhelming and difficult for prescho
Luisa Knight
Be ready for a delicious little twist at the end! Very sweet and fun!

Ages: 4 - 8

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Denis A.
Half of the book has narrative and the other half is word-less. I might hold off introducing this one to little ones due to some of the more violent parts. That being said my three year old loves anything to do with dragons, dinosaurs, trucks, power tools, TMNT. But what draws him to the story is the cover that shows the dragon and knight. The part I found a little squeamish was the illustrated page of the knight honing all of his weapons in preparation to fight the dragon. Not anything horrible ...more
Micah Elliott
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so sick of this book! My twin boys have been fascinated with this story for two years now. We are swimming in books here at home, but month after month this one continues to find its way to the evening "cuddle up with a book" time. The lack of words has encouraged a lot of sound effects, and there is just enough animosity between the knight and dragon to make it a little bit scary. Despite the failure at destroying each other, the two ultimately become business partners. The example is suff ...more
Dolly
Sep 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun take on the Dragon vs. Knight tale. I love that they went to the library to learn more about their quest. Our girls really enjoyed this book; we like all of Tomie dePaola's stories.

Melissa B
Only 5 stars because Katharina loves it. Cute moral implications
Robert Davis
Cute tale of a young knight and a young dragon who prepare to battle each other for no particular reason.
Amanda Grooms
Super cute book, and Z loves the illustrations. I enjoy reading this to him, and he loves having it read to him. I love hearing him say "dragon" (he just makes a short, throaty growl). <3
Esther May
The knight and the dragon is about not always following tradition. The knight is horrible at fighting, the dragon is awful as well. The finally figure out that they would rather not fight each other but work together for bigger and better things.
Melissa B
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I only give this 5 stars because Katharina adores it. The message is heart warming. The text to picture ratio is lacking greatly.
Rachael
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So fun!
Andrea Riffle
This book was absolutely adorable and so heartwarming! A knight and a dragon must learn to fight one another, as it's what their ancestors before them have done for generations. Both the dragon and the knight read books to gain understanding as to what they must accomplish. Ironically, the princess in this story is a librarian! But instead of fighting one another, the dragon and knight decide to open a restaurant together. The princess aids them by providing how-to books on this! There aren't ma ...more
Zee
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a charming picture book for very young children with great illustrations and a story that is both sweet and funny. While this is very much a book for very young kids, it's got appeal for a wider audience, too. An adult reader can get through the whole text in, oh, I doubt it would take a whole minute, but then you'd be missing out on the clever details in the adorable artwork. Read this to your kids, read it yourself, it's great either way.
Brooke Milone
The Knight and the dragon read how to fight each other. They read books and learn how to battle against each other, but they fail at it because they don't know how to fight. The princess gives them each a book about cooking and barbecuing. They end up being friends in the end and hangout with each other!
Kat
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Tom Ericksen
I thought that this book was cute. You don't often get stories about kind dragons, so when this ended with a collaboration I was shocked. The art is adorable, and this is another great book to read to younger kids who would liek to elaborate on the inner workings of a dragon's mind.
Sun Bee
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Well, you can't go wrong with getting a Tomie dePaola book but this one is particularly brilliant! A really fun and clever story with beautiful and vivid illustrations. In addition, the book delivers an excellent message. A wonderful book! One of our new favorite books at home.
Dionne
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story about going against stereotypes of what you should be based on who you are as seen by others. As well as how to solve a problem together with a perceived adversary. Toddlers love this book to be read to them!
Bari
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can never go wrong with a book by Tomie dePaola
Paula
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I used this in summer school and the kids loved it!!
Emily
May 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Super cute.
Cmeiss330
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a sweet story about breaking the roles that society has chosen for. Also, gotta love that medieval librarian and her book mobile cart.
Cassidy Crandall
In any stereotypical fairytale the dragon is hold hostage a princess and the prince attempt to rescue her. In this children’s picture book titled, “The Knight and the Dragon,” the small prince boy is reading about how to fight a dragon and vice versa the dragon is reading about how to fight a prince. In illustrations that showcase both sides of the plot, and when the “fight,” is ready to happen it just didn’t work out. In the end, the prince and dragon both use their talents to open up a hamburg ...more
Brianna
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 401
The Knight and the Dragon by Tomie dePaola is a fantasy adventure. Beyond being a good book with a fun ending, it is a book with few words. The words it does have are high level for young readers but it would make a great model text for young writers. It shows how to create a story with limited words and how illustrations then become part of the plot. I think this book and the lesson it helps me to picture may be a prompt for a step in between writing sentence to create a plot and relying on ill ...more
Brianna Owoc
The Knight and the Dragon is a good solely picture book that does not offer a lot of text. The illustration is well drawn and represents the setting. The book layout is not great because the two pages that create one big scene have to be read from all one page to the next instead of going across the top and bottom of the two pages combined. The conflict in the story is solved easily in a childish way that is not referenced from any point of the story but it is creative.
Daniel
This is a cute little book about a knight and a dragon who decide to fight each other because neither has been in a fight before. There is a montage of sorts in which each learns and hones their various fighting styles with the inevitable meeting. Their battle is less than impressive and they end up creating a truce of sorts. Not much of a moral to this one, but the ending is somewhat amusing.
Nick Swarbrick
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A near-perfect little book about how fighting is no solution. Told mostly through its lively, typical de Paola pictures, this is a light-hearted book to discuss conflict (and resolution) - and to raise the status of the librarian. It is only the librarian’s gender that gives me pause for thought about giving five stars.
Arielle
Sep 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kiddies
The illustrations were cute in a nostalgic way. The book as a whole did not work. The message was nice, but there was not very much text. There were pages where the images were supposed to tell the story, but the artwork was not strong enough to pull it off. It came across as the author running out of ideas for words to use.

I don’t recommend.

• Good Night, Good Knight
  • Traction Man Is Here!
  • Cowboy & Octopus
  • Frog on His Own
  • Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat (Henry and Mudge, #8)
  • The Best Pet of All
  • The Mysterious Tadpole
  • Little Goblins Ten
  • I Like Me!
  • Hush, Little Dragon
  • The Umbrella
  • This Is the Way We Go to School: A Book About Children Around the World
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
He li