Start by marking “The Crystal Prison (The Deptford Mice, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Crystal Prison (The Deptford Mice, #2)

The Crystal Prison

(The Deptford Mice #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,112 ratings  ·  30 reviews
This terrifying second novel of the Deptford Mice Trilogy is now in paperback. When the Deptford Mice flee to the countryside, they never expect to find themselves embroiled in a series of murders. The country mice suspect that headstrong city mouse, Audrey, is the culprit. But the truth is far more sinister-for Jupiter now reaches vengefully from the dead.
Published July 1st 2002 by Chronicle Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Crystal Prison, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crystal Prison

really liked it 4.00  ·

Katie
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this second installment in the Deptford Mice Trilogy, Audrey makes a deal with the mysterious Starwife that she will journey to the countryside, taking the mad rat Madam Akkikuyu with her, in exchange for the Starwife saving her friend Oswald’s life. The two of them set off with her brother Arthur and friend Twit to visit Twit’s family and stay with the fieldmice of Fennywolde. Once there, however, the countryside proves to be far less idyllic than Audrey had anticipated. Many of the country ...more
Qt
May 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
I think I liked this book even more than the first--but be warned that it is fairly dark, and sometimes violent. It starts right after the end of Book One, and reading "Dark Portal" first is probably a good idea.

******Small Spoiler********
I found it exciting and creepy--a lot of the scary stuff comes not only from magic and "horror" elements, but also from the mouse community's "mob mentality."
***********

It's also kind of sad towards the end--I'm a little concerned about how the trilogy will e
Vivian
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I am enjoying the Deptford mice series overall and this second installment was a good read. I gave this 3 stars because i have a certain angst when it comes to religious fanaticism. I generally don't like to read where an innocuous set of beliefs suddenly becomes violently intolerant and all sorts of craziness ensues. So let me talk about what worked in this story - the way we treat our friends in that we can become careless and selfish with those that we love. I was heartened to see how Twit be ...more
Harold Smithson
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I like that Jarvis writes darker material for children and doesn't shy away from themes like death, the occult and sacrifice, but his writing is lacking. Everything is laid out plainly for the reader and redundant descriptions abound. It's not enough that we get a reaction, we also get an analysis of that reaction, explaining that character x doesn't like character y because z just happened (after we watched character y doing z). There are additional pacing problems, particularly in the middle o ...more
Tori
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this trilogy in middle school, and this book is still really engrossing years later.

I liked:
-everything about the relationship between the Starwife and her squirrelly minions
-that Jarvis lets his characters get themselves deeper into trouble through their own actions
-the general storyline

I did not like:
-some of the characterization just doesn't quite work for me. Alison Sedge, in particular, seems like someone that Jarvis just wants us to hate, and who is never really given room to be a
Dayna Smith
Nov 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
The second book in the Deptford Mice trilogy is darker and even more exciting than the first. A wonderful tale of the power of evil and redemption. Audrey, Arthur, and Twit are commanded by the Starwife to take Madame Akkikuyu to Twit's home of Fennywolde. But evil comes with them and affects everyone in the field. Mice are murdered, evil magic abounds, and the mice struggle to find the source of all their troubles. But have they found the real culprit? A great sequel, can't wait to read the thi ...more
Anthony Sanabria
May 19, 2009 rated it liked it
this book was very boring i have to say the story line didnt really catch my attention even though i read i couldnt really tell you detail by detail fo what was going on in the book of what was going on with these mouses so i wouldnt reconmend this book to anyone who is really interested in reading a good book.
Matthew Hodge
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This second outing of the mice was a real jump. There's a real level of emotional turmoil in this one for our heroes, as well as all the normal dark magic, evil villains and what-not.

Still one of my favourite children's series. You can read more of my thoughts on this one over www.therobinjarvisportal.wordpress.com.
Alison
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a dark book series in feeling and imagination. It does, though, have a wonderful story and adventure waiting to be discovered inside. I loved this book for the characters are animals and they live in societies like humans. This book gives personification to these animals and that is what I would like my students to learn more about.
Logan Mcguire
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Man, I love this series. So much intensity and weird cults. So spooky. I adore this book and it's series and I did not expect that ending. Audrey was definitely having a hard time and that mouse brass maker gets on my nerves. Love it and highly suggest it. Madame Akkikuyu is a wonderful character and what happens to her is unexpected, but it fits the theme.
Vincent Chen
May 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Vincent by: Me
Beka
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it
While it was an enjoyable story, something left me unsettled about this story. Obviously, the ending was left open for another book to come, but I really didn't like the "resolution" of so many of the plot points. Maybe I just want the ending to have been closer to happy?
Sharon
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The excellent second book in the trilogy carries on the adventures of the Deptford mice and their battle against the evil Jupiter. Some more fantastic characters are introduced, as is a whole new village. First rate storytelling.
Peter
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
I liked Book 2 better than Book 1, but still am bothered by Jarvis' deus ex machina style of story telling and the personality inconsistencies of his primary character Audrey (the mouse). Nevertheless, I'm going to pick up Volume 3.
Edward Davies
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reads
This was the first of Robin Jarvis's books I read, and I still remember how genuinely dark and creepy it was. A great addition to the series with a very different setting that shows how adaptable Jarvis can be.
Ariel
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was AMAZING! But the storyline was kind of dull. Nothing happened for a while. It wasn't like the first one where various things were happeneing at once. No, it was just Audrey, Twit, Aruther. The book is REALLY slow at first, but it picks up at the end.
Gemma Esprey
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as an early teenager and read everything of Robin Jarvis I could get my hands on. It was magical and mysterious. It will stay with me forever. I still have the old copies in my loft somewhere to give to my daughter.
Kaylee
Aug 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
DNF at 102. Heaven help us if this passes for engaging literature for children :/
Donna
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
The story continues wellin the second book of this trilogy.
Tim Jones
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The highly recommended sequel to the Dark Portal.
Jailynn
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
While I did like this one a little bit more than the first it was also kind of dark for kids.
Virginia
Jun 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great continuation of the saga - did not go where I expected it to at first - which is probably why I enjoy Jarvis' novels so much.
harrie kd
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
ust got reminded of these by the fact they're doing a live version at wimbledon theatre. it was one of my favourites as a kid, i read all these deptford mice books multiple times. great stuff!
Donna Hunt
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very interesting, a bit darker than Redwall or other rodent novels I like, but still follows the tradition of mice and rat stories, with heroes, villians, and hearts that change.
Diana
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
not the best
Kim SLG3
Apr 07, 2016 is currently reading it
its so hard to understand this audio book at start I think I`m first time listening audio book
and if you guys repeat this audio book, you guys will be better to understand this book.
Wooga
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dark and morbid just the way I like it!
Richie
Oct 22, 2007
Maria-Anna
Jul 26, 2015
Kathryn Holt
Nov 18, 2017

• Bruce Coville's Book of Ghosts: Tales to Haunt You
  • The Fox Cub Bold
  • Nightpool (Dragonbards, #1)
  • Exploits of the Chalet Girls
  • The Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat
  • The Magic World
  • Fern Gully
  • The Peppermint Pig
  • Tokyo Babylon, Vol. 5
  • Courage of Falcons (The Secret Texts, #3)
  • Duncton Quest (Duncton Chronicles, #2)
  • Healer's Quest (The Renegade World Series, #1)
  • The Librarian: Books One and Two
  • Night of the Gargoyles
  • Dragon Cauldron
  • Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
Robin Jarvis (born May 8, 1963) is a British children's novelist, who writes fantasy novels, often about anthropomorphic rodents and small mammals – especially mice – and Tudor times. A lot of his works are based in London, in and around Deptford and Greenwich where he used to live, or in Whitby.

His first novel – The Dark Portal, featuring the popular Deptford Mice – was the runner up for the Smar

The Deptford Mice (3 books)
  • The Dark Portal (The Deptford Mice, #1)
  • The Final Reckoning (The Deptford Mice, #3)