Start by marking “Ulrich (The Highland Wolves, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ulrich (The Highland Wolves, #1)

Ulrich (The Highland Wolves #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  613 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Ulrich is tired of being far from home. He misses the high mountains of his homeland, the familiarity and comfort of living amongst Pack. The thin, weak wolves of the lowlands grate, and he is ready to be done with his duty to the King and return home. Sent on assignment to find the reason behind the death of a fellow wolf, he hopes that by fulfilling the mission, he will ...more
Published by Less Than Three Press (first published May 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ulrich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ulrich

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This is one of my favorite books for two reasons: there is no sex, just some kissing, so definitely more plot than sex and it involves wolf shifters, where you actually read about them in their wolf form. I was engaged throughout this whole book and I couldn’t have put it down if I tried.

I loved the two separate sections. You get to experience the beginning of how Ulrich and Grosvenor meet under not so friendly terms, Grosvenor’s reluctance to accept Ulrich’s help since he’s been burned in the p
Nina
So cute! Love MD's writing, descriptive but not too drawn out, and the fantasy world is barely sketched, but intriguing and it provides just the right depth of background for such a short story. The double POV, one in each story, was done well as the mc's voices are quite different and each story has a main happening centered around one of them ("investigation" for Ulrich and new pack for Grosvenor). I love how the story of Hansel and Gretel was tied in.
I can see a possible story for Detlef... p
Jimmy Hanson
Jul 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, m-m
Enchanting, as most novels or novellas by Megan Derr are. The fairy-tale tie in goes nicely with the unique environment and world-building that she creates, and it was a fairy-tale very rarely touched on in re-writes, which was refreshing.

Past that, the relationship between Ulrich and Grosvenor is a heart-string case. The whole damn-you-why-do-you-make-me-smile type relationship that never fails to get me every time.

In the second portion, when Grosvenor returns with Ulrich, I think Derr did very
Fehu
Cute story with a fairytale twist of Hensel and Gretel in it and wolf-shifters! So yes this one goes to my favorites. It was not instant love; they actually disliked and mistrusted each other quite a bit in the beginning.

Ulrich is a wolf shifter and was send to find out about the disappearance of two other wolf guards near a dark wood. There he finds more than he bargained for, children have been missing and a mage, who is also a wolfgiven but who lives with humans and has nothing friendly to
L-D
4.5 stars.

I really enjoyed this shifter/mage book. I must really like this paranormal combination because I recently read Mind Magic and enjoyed that book as well. I liked this book slightly better because I felt there was stronger character development. I loved both Ulrich, the 7th son of his Alpha, as well as Grosvenor, the wild mage recluse. I also enjoyed the way this book was in two parts with the first part being Ulrich's POV and the second part being Grosvenor's POV. Like many of Megan De
Miss Asima
'Ulrich' was quite a captivating read, I loved it. In part one it had a very whimsical, fairy tale like quality to it. Plus there's a little Hanzel and Gretel twist thrown in. It read very smoothly and fast and was entertaining the whole way. Part two was all about the romance and very well done. It read very much like a YA romance. Which I guess it could be I'm not sure (??). But unlike most YA I read I didn't get bored. I quickly fell in love with them and couldn't stop reading to find out if ...more
Sui Lynn
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
I really enjoyed this story. It has a few sweet moments and is very angst filled. There is a lot of conflict and the added touch of the Hansel and Gretel story as well as a couple other fairy tales was a bonus for me. I must say if you are looking for a sex filled shifter story, this is not the book for you. Not one love scene in this book. To be honest I didn't really miss the sex but I would have liked a bit more in the ending with Ulrich and his mage.

Still, this is a very nice story and a go
Tj
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
This story was built into a fair tale world. There is the story of Hansel and Gretel and I see a hint of red riding hood. Ulrich is the seventh son of the alpha of his pack. He is fulfilling his duty to the king and has nearly completed it when he meets Grosvenor the huntsman and wild mage. Grosvenor isn't happy to see him and remains with a grumpy attitude throughout the book. Ulrich sees an opportunity to bring a new wild mage to his pack and convinces Grosvenor to go home with him. Of course ...more
Helene
A mix between a shifter romance and a fairy tale. A sweet lovestory between the seventh son of an alpha - Ulrich - and a wild mage - Grosvenor - who has been exiled from his former pack. The two meet and work together to rescue the grandaughter of Gretel (as in Hans and Gretel) from a "new" evil witch in a gingerbread house.
Ulrich convinces Grosvenor to return to his pack with him, even though he knows that he, as a low rank seventh son, will have no chance of marrying the mage. Of course every
LD  Durham
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: shifter
It was okay. It started out really strong and interesting, then kind of petered out. It followed very similar tropes of "I can't tell him I want him. I must not say it," which is annoying, even if these characters had a more convincing reason than most others that use it. The bad guy was lackluster and the climax was a bit of the same. So, it was enjoyable as a story, just not ah-mazing. Which, you know, is just fine. We need those kind of stories. They give us comfort and that's just as importa ...more
Katherine
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Told in two parts, with two different views and two different locations, this was an excellent novella! Following as Ulrich, a highland wolf, meets a highland wild mage while on tour in the lowlands, we see them navigate the dangers of the lowlands as they get to know each other, and we see them deal with family and duty in the highlands. With an antagonistic relationship that classically develops into more as they work together this story was heartwarming and a joyful read!
Kathleen

I can only say that a week or two from now, I will have no memory of this short story.
TS
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-fantasy
It was a very good book but not perfect. The story could have been a lot more elaborate. I did like the fairy tale rewrite.
Jane (PS)
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as strong as Derr's normal fare, however it is still well-stitched together. The second part was just a bit weak between our two MCs (Ulrich Schwarz and Grosvenor Allaway). I'd like to have had the drama of the second wolf pack more pronounced, and a bit more chemistry between Ulrich (Rich to some pack members) and Grosvernor.
Alex Mar
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-novel-novella
Eve  L
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Megan Derr. Fairy Tales retold in different ways have always been one of my favourite genres and when I discovered one of her Fairy Tales Slash omnibuses in my local library I couldn't believe my luck! Since then I haven't stopped reading her :) This particular book is a meld of at least two fairy tales. Red Riding Hood meets Hansel and Gretel with the Megan Derr twists and turns that makes these old stories her own.
Tenny
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This very nice short story is based on fairy tales in a first half, than becomes a more traditional shifter/werewolves story in the second half. (i was happy that the fairy tales were those which are not often used in m/m romance)
Both main heroes are really cute and my heart was breaking for them in a second half. But it got happy ending and that's all I am asking for. :)
Snowtulip
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, par-rom, own
3.5

This was a quick sweet story which I felt I really wanted to see more of Ulrich and Grosverors interactions. The fairy tale element was interesting, but I would have liked more wolf world building. Good read.
Lacey
Tamara (緑)
Megan's books are magic. No matter what kind of funk I am in they always manage to make me feel better.
Merith
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love wolf-shifter stories and this one was wonderful. I love the world Megan has created and can't wait to read more.
Phoenix
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good book. Not outwardly erotic, doesn't have a lot of action. Just a really good story about the start of a really good relationship.
A.M.
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: purchased
ULRICH IS SO CUTE OMG HE IS SO SWEET HE'S SUCH A PUPPY *SCREAMS* AND WHEN GROSVENOR'S POV STARTED AND OMG HE CALLS ULRICH A PUPPY OMG I LOVE THIS ALSO LAUGHING FOREST 'VERSE YESSSSS
T Silver
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-fantasy
Tamela
Enjoyable story. New idea... wolf given. I like it and will read more.

Recommended
================================
1st read - Jun 12, 2012
2nd read - Aug 24, 2016
Lady*M
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very sweet and the characters are endearing. Megan Derr's trademark story. I enjoyed it very much and I recommend it to everyone who wants a nice and relaxing read.
AE
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural, fantasy, m-m
My only criticism? MOARRRR.
Ayanna
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it

Oh, Derr...
Sherry
Jan 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is the 3rd story I've read by this author.....I'm done. Weak and abrupt stories that are completely predicable are disappointing and not even in the realm of a "good but mindless read" for me.
Lily
I really enjoyed this sweet shifter story, especially the fairytale aspect. Very nicely done.
  • Fairytales Slashed 4
  • Living Words
  • That Famous Happy End
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords Book 2)
  • Body Magic (Triad #2)
  • Dragon Slayer (The Empty Crown #1)
  • Lone
  • Goblins, Book One
  • Gatekeeper
  • Raven and the Wolf (Eyrder Saga, #1)
  • The Lodestar of Ys
  • Galen and the Forest Lord
  • Like a Sparrow Through the Heart (Like a Sparrow, #1)
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com