Start by marking “Double or Nothing” as Want to Read:
Double or Nothing

Double or Nothing

Currently between gaming ventures, entrepreneur Tom Breitling, with the help of journalist Cal Fussman, delivers the inside story of what it's like to run a casino when one is young and living the Vegas life.
Audio CD
Published March 1st 2008 by Tantor Media, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Double or Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double or Nothing

Start your review of Double or Nothing
Zach
Okay.

Winner Takes It All or Super Casino is better.

Would have been more interesting if it had focused on the inner workings of what it is like to run a casino.

Someone should have told the author that descriptions of his "bro-mance" with his partner, intricate business deals and mediocre attempts at motivational speaking are NOT as intersesting as what is going on in the casino!

I knew I was in trouble when Steve Wynn and Tony Bennet briefly make appearances and I realized I wished I was readin
Andrew
Mar 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mildly entertaining true account of 2 friends pulling off a couple of profitable business ventures, back-to-back, hence the title, "Double or Nothing". It left me feeling that the guy telling the story should have been Tim Poster, partner to the author, because he was more the Vegas insider. Overall it was okay. The author was forthcoming about the set-backs they experienced in selling a business and in dealing with shooting a reality TV show in the casino at a stressful time. Not for everyone, ...more
Noah
Feb 27, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought an account of what it's like to suddenly get rich and own a casino would be interesting. I was wrong.
Will Sinnott
Sep 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"I was the point guard on the basketball court, remember..." How could 1 forget considering it's the only metaphor Tom Breitling knows & he is sure to use it once a chapter?

Reading this after having finished "Super Casino," really highlights that the writing in this book is quite pedestrian. A book like "Super Casino" is great at detailing the history and inner workings of corporate Las Vegas; this book is written in quite general terms without much excitement.

At 235 pages with type that is just
Erik Surewaard
Entertaining read but nothing more than that. Two guys that got lucky by selling out twice just before a significant market correction: (1) their Internet hotel reservation company just before the IT bubble burst; and (2) a casino just before the credit bubble burst. So be prepared on some bluff talk about how good they think they are as entrepreneurs... But in the end still a worthwile read. The ghostwriter has done a fantastic job.

Adam
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even if your a saint the action in this book will make you hard! I don't gamble but I went out and bought a bunch of casino stocks. A lot of business lessons in this book. One of the few books I am looking forward to reading again.

"Things my ear picked up on"

I'm not asking you to be there with a tissue every time I sneeze
Entrepreneurs in the best since of the word
You don't have success unless your learning from your failures
Riding through the ghetto looking for shit to purchase
You only have
Hillary roberts
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been 4 years since the show The Casino aired. Since then Tom Breitling and his best friend Cal Fussman have made another million after selling the Golden Nugget. Double or Nothing is the story of two best friends who went from rags to riches to accomplish unbelievable success.[return][return] Breitling shows that there is a lot more behind the scenes than The Casino let on. Breitling takes us on a whirlwind tour through the ups and downs of chasing a dream then selling it then doing it al ...more
Sra
Apr 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like a good page-turner
Recommended to Sra by: Harper Collins put it online free for awhile, and I got hooked
A captivating story of two friends who made two 100 Million Dollar deals before their mid-thirties (lucky bastards).

The best thing about this book is the style of storytelling. It has the same appeal of Da Vinci code, in that the author, Bretling, knows how to use foreshadowing and suspense to keep you turning the pages. The language is very engaging and vivid, almost as if you're watching a movie.

Breitling captures your attention up front by putting you right in the middle of one of the most p
Rob Eelkema
Aug 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I actually loved this book....not many people have the same likes as me so don't go out and buy this until you read a synopsis of it first. Tim Poster and Tom Breitling started Travelscape in Las Vegas and sold it to Expedia for a huge profit. They took that profit and bought the Golden Nuggett in downtown Las Vegas. Tim and Tom are about my age....and Tom is actually from Burnsville, Minnesota. A lot of the place that these guys were at during their early years...I was in the same place just do ...more
Joseph Young
Do not buy this audio book. The narrator's voice is incredibly annoying with huge overemphasis on every other word. Whoever hired the narrator should be fired. The book would probably be an ok read, although it's subject matter will not appeal to everyone.

Overall, an ok story about business life in Las Vegas. Boring at times, and relies too much on name dropping. Conclusion was unsatisfying and the ending too drawn out. I guess business owning a casino is not as exciting as movies will make it o
Roadhouse
I was reading this book and it mildly had my interest, then BAM! The greatest mineralogical lie of the century was revealed!

The casino, the golden nugget, has a massive gold nugget on display in their casino, but it is all a sham! The nugget on display is a fake! It is a copy of the original.

If we can not trust a mineral display, what can we believe in? Is it all a sham? Is everything a lie?
Alli Handy
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down. I love Vegas and work in the hotel industry so the two combined make this the perfect book for me. It's about some college grads (one from USC) that started a las vegas hotel room reservation business, sold it to Expedia and then bought the Golden Nugget Hotel. Fascinating story about the casino and hotel business in Vegas.
Lisa
Apr 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the first half of this book better than the second. You have to read it for the story, not the writing - the writing reminded me of someone just telling me their story, without edits, without perfecting their grammar, and over-repetitive use of some phrases and adjectives.
Dan
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Double or Nothing is a very exciting and interesting read. I found myself loving to flip the pages and see what Mr. Royalty (creator of GTA???) was doing next, or finding out what wisdom Steve Wynn would bring Tim and Tom. It is a fun read, and I encourage all to read this book!
Elizabeth
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really engaging. Half of it was about the two friends and their business booking Vegas hotel rooms and how they sold that and it became Expedia and became multi-millionaires and THAT allowed them to buy a Vegas casino.
Javier Santillan
One of the best books about Vegas!
Matthew Gerken
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining story
Jason Galloway
Mar 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting book, but expect more after the reviews I read
Bill
Mar 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Something a bit different, just a quick light story that was pretty cool about two guys striking it big in Vegas as businessmen.
Daniel Humphries
Fun read about our favorite casino/hotel in Vegas.
Charles McGonigal
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun flight through Vegas, although obviously out to tell their side of the story.
Brian
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Streak: Lou Gehrig, Cal Ripken Jr., and Baseball's Most Historic Record
  • No Limit: The Rise and Fall of Bob Stupak and Las Vegas' Stratosphere Tower
  • Super Casino: Inside the "New" Las Vegas
  • Tanking to the Top: The Philadelphia 76ers and the Most Audacious Process in the History of Professional Sports
  • Awareness: A de Mello Spirituality Conference in His Own Words
  • Newtown: An American Tragedy
  • What It Takes: Lessons in the Pursuit of Excellence
  • Phasma (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #2)
  • Onward: How Starbucks Fought for Its Life without Losing Its Soul
  • Backlash (Scot Harvath #19)
  • Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything
  • Cash Copy: How to Offer Your Products & Services So Your Prospects Buy Them ... Now!
  • Beat the Crowd: How You Can Out-Invest the Herd by Thinking Differently (Fisher Investments Press)
  • Persuasion Force volume 1.: Everyday Psi-Ops!
  • How to Fight a Hydra: Face Your Fears, Pursue Your Ambitions, and Become the Hero You Are Destined to Be
  • The Science of Accelerated Learning: Advanced Strategies for Quicker Comprehension, Greater Retention, and Systematic Expertise
  • Dark Psychology Secrets: The Essential Guide to Persuasion, Emotional Manipulation, Deception, Mind Control, Human Behavior, NLP and Hypnosis, How To Stop Being Manipulated And Defend Your Mind