Start by marking “Rapture of the Deep: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Soldier, Sailor, Mermaid, Spy (Bloody Jack, #7)” as Want to Read:

Rapture of the Deep: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Soldier, Sailor, Mermaid, Spy (Bloody Jack #7)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  5,361 Ratings  ·  359 Reviews
On the very day that Jacky Faber is to wed her true love, she is kidnapped by British Naval Intelligence and forced to embark on yet another daring mission—this time to search for sunken Spanish gold. But when Jacky is involved, things don't always go as planned.

Jacky has survived battles on the high seas, the stifling propriety of a Boston finishing school, and even confi
Published September 28th 2009 by Harcourt Children's Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rapture of the Deep, please sign up.

Josiphine/Tessa Jacky met Flaco while sailing in the Caribbean on the Emerald but their meeting is not actually portrayed in any of the books. The meeting took place…moreJacky met Flaco while sailing in the Caribbean on the Emerald but their meeting is not actually portrayed in any of the books. The meeting took place during "Under the Jolly Roger" but this is the first book that Flaco makes an appearance in. (less)

Miss
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone else feel like the way Meyer's writes Jacky's sexuality is a getting kind of skeezy? I'm all for Jacky Faber, champion flirter but the way he writes her is coming off as increasingly male gazey. Plus most of her love interests are jackasses, like by now I know if Jacky meets a dude and he's an asshole she'll be probably by making out with him by the end of the book. :/ I think it might not come off so gross if Meyer would let her age properly. There is no way on earth it makes sense for h ...more
Tara Chevrestt
Sometimes I love Jacky Faber, sometimes I don't. This is a "don't like" episode. I yielded halfway thru. A. Getting too predictable. ONCE AGAIN, Jacky and Jaimy are separated. ONCE AGAIN Jacky is abducted and put to work for the British Intelligence Agency. ONCE AGAIN Jacky is running around singing and dancing in taverns and flirting with numerous fellows. B. I don't care if she had good intentions, she bought a slave. NO NO NO. C. Top that off with Jacky getting involved in cockfighting... Hmp ...more
Nadine
May 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bummer, bummer, bummer. I really like Jacky and her adventures, but I don't like her creepy old man author who likes to pepper the text with sexual harassment. The books have been getting more and more explicit, and I think I finally hit my wall. It is too bad because I enjoy the books. I guess I need to get rid of the books so that my kids don't find them, succumb to the fabulous story and read their ways to some old man's fantasy about a 16 year old girl and her much too small swimsuit. Bumme ...more
Emily
May 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kathryn
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: Tyler
Another delightful adventure with Jacky Faber, who is now like a very dear friend to me. In this adventure, we find Jacky sent by King George to the waters off Cuba and Key West, diving for sunken Spanish treasure. I will try to avoid spoilers for both this book and for the previous books, and simply say that this was perhaps one of the most enjoyable of Jacky’s adventures because, for the most part, it was fairly cheerful. Aside from a few heart-wrenching moments (one involving a tale told by a ...more
Jessie
Jan 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-regret
Going through this I started to remember that there were writing flaws in the other books that I had forgotten about since I read the last book two years ago.
Most of it is written in the first person present which impossibly annoying because who wants to read "we are going there, we are so close. yes, we are there." Really? Just really, stream of conscience can go too far. That and Umms in italics when she kisses someone...gross.

And just as far as her as a character she has become really distast
Nisha
Considering my distaste with how long L.A. Meyer is dragging on about maintaining Jacky's virginity and her frustrating relationship with British Navy, I loved this book.

Jacky is finally reunited with her beloved Jaimy and they are nearly at the alter getting married, when Jacky is whisked away by the British Naval Intelligence to recover sunken Spanish gold. Supposedly, they are still angry that she didn't kill Napoleon when she had the chance, so her punishment is to abstain from sex until aft
Katie Hutchison Irion
Oh Jacky, I am so flipping sad to know that there are no new books for me to read about your wild adventures, constant flirting, abundant flesh showing, crazy ideas, and fantastic personality. When I finished book 7 I felt like I had lost a friend. I guess I'm just going to have to reread them.
So, if you couldn't tell, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loves the premise. I loved the location. I loved Higgins. I loved Davey on the ship with her and their constant bickering. I love Higgins. I love
Bonnie
Just as a note to start, this is one of the best books/series to listen to... Katherine Kellgren is amazing and the accents and music bring the story to life in a way you don't get from reading the print version. So... go listen to it!

This is one of my favorite YA series, which feels weird to say, because I normally can't stand historical fiction. I've also finally caught up to the end of the series, and now have to wait for the next book. Jacky is a phenomenal character and the sort of person I
Anna
Jul 18, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My least favorite of the series. Full of filler and fluff: Jemima's stories of brother fox and brother rabbit, cockfighting, Jacky singing in the club in Havana. All fluff without moving the story forward. All designed to explain why Jacky and Jamey haven't had sex yet. Where's an editor when you need one?
Emily
You know... I just can't help myself... I'm a HUGE Jacky Faber fan. I know the plot is spinning in circles and I just don't care. I'm along for the ride.

Long live Jacky Faber! Forever may she sail!
Leslie
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series, and this one was a little different which was nice but still with all the wonderful things that make Jacky Faber so much fun.
Mum
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
kindle/audio

Okay, if 2 stars is 'it was ok' and 3 stars is 'I liked it' then I have to fall somewhere in the middle of that.

**SPOILER ALERT** While I don't discuss specific plot points or give away the ending, I do mention things that happen in the book. Read on knowing you have been warned.

I have been a fan of this series up until now, giving books 5 star reviews that really don't deserve them on their literary merit, but because they are entertaining, hysterical quick reads that are good break
Caitlín (Ink Mage)
Lori Twichell
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With more adventures, wild crazy schemes and just the right amount of danger, the Rapture of the Deep continues the grand tradition of the Bloody Jack series. As with the previous books, Jacky’s danger level rises considerably and though targeted to 8th grade and up, there are some heavy situations in here that aren’t necessarily appropriate for younger teens. Pretty much the same warning I’ve given throughout the other books applies. Jacky’s adventures aren’t simple, light or easy. She ends up ...more
Katherine
Meyer never fails to deliver an amazing tale of love, adventure, friendship, and the luck of a certain impulsive maiden.

The momment a good friend had thrusted the town library's battered copy of Bloody Jack into my reluctant hands, and commanded me to read the first chapter, I was spellbound.

In a little over a week, I had flashed through the available following books. I ended today, on Rapture of the Deep, starving for the next installment.

Readers will find this series heartwarming. I for one fo
Gemma
Jul 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While most series start out strong and get progressively more disappointing (and I can name a few), this is not one of them. In fact, Jacky just keeps getting better and better!
Like every other book in this series, you have to find another fan and just start talking about your favorite parts, because you have to have read it to really get why it's the funnest, funniest series ever written. I could hardly breathe for laughing, and in fact I read it twice in five days! There's nothing quite like w
Katherine
Dec 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think believe myself to be quite biased in my review of this book, for I have been ready this series since the very first Bloody Jack came to Barnes and Nobles. Being that as it may. . . I LOVE THIS BOOK!! I felt as if I was living this adventure along with Jacky and her crew from England to Boston and then to Florida with the Spaniards. I am not joking when I say I could not put this book down. It however leaves off with much hope for another book, as with the previous installments. I hope th ...more
Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
3.5 Stars. I'm just ready for Jacky & Jaimy to GET MARRIED AND DO IT! Yeah that's cruder than I normally am but Jacky is so free with her affection that I'm just ready now.

I enjoyed Jaimy being in this book, as well as Lord Richard Alan briefly showing up (he's sexiness). Actually the plot of this story was fine. I liked the diving.

I didn't like Aunt Jemima's Brother Rabbit story or the cockfighting. I need more singing & flirting & less of that.
Dodie
Jul 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was completely set not to like this book - it just seemed a little overstuffed with pirates, intrigue, science, romance, and revenge. But then Jacky Faber's sassy attitude hooked me, and I was soon enjoying this ripping good yarn of a gutter rat turned mercantile opportunist who is off to discover the sunken treasure of the Santa Magdalena. Readers will enjoy visiting ports in London, Boston and Havana with Jacky and her crew.This is the 7th in the Bloody Jack Adventures series.
Sandy D.
Entertaining, but without the depth of some of the previous books in the series. Recommended for the winter months in the northern temperate zone, when reading about Key West & Havana would be fabulous.
Cheezcake
Jul 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know I haven't read the book yet, but know it deserves a five star rating, as do all the books in this fabulous Bloody Jack series!! I just cannot wait till I can tear up the next book and dicover what happens next to Jacky! God, the 28th August seems so far away- I want to read that book NOW!
Nicole
i read about half way into this book and then skipped to the end. you really don't miss much in between. same formula as the other books and jacky and jamie are still not together. can barely type through the frustration....
Mackenzi
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
JACKY AND JAIMY FOREVER!
Cassandra
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, y-a-lit
Unfortunately, I have to concur with the opinion I've seen stated elsewhere:

L.A. Meyer is a creepy, dirty old man.

It's so disappointing, not to mention slightly sickening, seeing a character I've grown to adore be turned into a fantasy sex object, to be fetishized and ogled. (Seriously, how many times do we need to hear about Jackie's swimsuit riding up her butt cheeks? Did people even use "cheeks" to refer to their posterior in the 19th century?)

It's all the more disappointing because there rea
Suzanne
In this Jackie Faber adventure she is blackmailed by the British intelligence crew to find some buried treasure. The treasure is on a vessel that has sunk to the bottom on the sea near Key West. It has been noted that Jackie has some good spy skills and swimming skills both of which are necessary for this assignment. She is reunited with her crew as they strike out to find the sunken ship. She meets some old friends along the way and has many a misadventure. In the end she has outwitted just abo ...more
Teresa Osgood
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite salty sea lass goes underwater this time, taking on the Spanish and some of their treasure. And though the adventure begins under duress, she handles it with her usual spark, rescuing a few pathetic life forms, and inventing swim fins and the tankini.
Omcn
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hoooooooray! I really enjoy this series.
Jen Jenson
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! It was fun hearing how she approached Bell Diving! Especially with Mike being a Commercial Diver!
Brer Rabbit stories 2 12 Aug 23, 2013 03:34AM
  • Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas (Piratica, #1)
  • The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes, #3)
  • Pirates!
  • Beat the Band (Swim the Fly, #2)
  • Star-Crossed (Patricia MacPherson Nautical Adventures, #1)
  • Boston Jane: An Adventure (Boston Jane, #1)
  • Alchemy and Meggy Swann
  • The Princetta
  • Cat-O'nine Tails (Cat Royal, #4)
  • The Body at the Tower (The Agency, #2)
  • The Pirate Captain's Daughter
  • The Pirate Queen: The Story of Grace O'Malley, Irish Pirate
  • Last of the Sandwalkers
  • Revenge of the Rose
  • Summer of Two Wishes (Cedar Springs #1)
  • Betraying Season (Leland Sisters, #2)
  • Branded Ann
Louis A. Meyer is best known as the author of the Bloody Jack novels. He was also a painter and the author of two children's picture books, and he and his wife owned an art gallery called Clair de Loon in Bar Harbor.

Louis A. Meyer passed away on July 29, 2014 from refractory Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. His final Jacky Faber book, Wild Rover No More, was published posthumously in September that year.
More about L.A. Meyer...

Bloody Jack (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Bloody Jack (Bloody Jack, #1)
  • Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady (Bloody Jack, #2)
  • Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #3)
  • In the Belly of the Bloodhound: Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #4)
  • Mississippi Jack: Being an Account of the Further Waterborne Adventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman, Fine Lady, and Lily of the West (Bloody Jack, #5)
  • My Bonny Light Horseman: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, in Love and War (Bloody Jack, #6)
  • The Wake of the Lorelei Lee: Being an Account of the Adventures of Jacky Faber, on her Way to Botany Bay (Bloody Jack, #8)
  • The Mark of the Golden Dragon: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Jewel of the East, Vexation of the West, and Pearl of the South China Sea (Bloody Jack, #9)
  • Viva Jacquelina! Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Over the Hills and Far Away (Bloody Jack, #10)
  • Boston Jacky: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Taking Care of Business (Bloody Jack, #11)
“When in Boston, I shall be able to take you out to dinner, if not to bed. I should greatly prefer the latter, but I must accept my lot.” 9 likes
“Why, then?" I demand. "It is because, Miss Faber," says Mr. Peel, smiling one of his very rare smiles. "It is because you can swim." What?” 5 likes