Start by marking “The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Tertiary Phase” as Want to Read:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Tertiary Phase

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Tertiary Phase

(Hitchhiker's Guide BBC Radio Series #3)

When the Earth is unexpectedly demolished, Arthur Dent finds The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy an essential companion.
Audio Cd
Published February 21st 2005 by BBC Audiobooks Ltd (first published October 25th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Start your review of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Tertiary Phase
Markus
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, humor
Well nevermind the secondary phase theny it apparently never happened. This one is a straight adaptation of the third book, which is not a bad thing since it's a good book (albeit not my favorite in the series). A bit sad that nothing ever happened to the alternate storyline the radio plays before set up, but Douglas Adams wanted it that way.
Chinook
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
This was pretty interesting - for all that I listened to it out of order - though the audio was a bit rough at times, particularly sound effects.
Sarah u
This series of the radio plays brings to life Life, the Universe and Everything, Douglas Adams' third Hitchhiker novel. Differently to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Primary Phase and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Secondary Phase, the Tertiary Phase radio play was adapted from the novel.

The story this time is about the people of Krikket, a xenophobic race who until recently were sure they were alone in the universe. This story is more structured than previous Hitchhiker
Alex
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Given the two major problems that this radio adaptation faced it's a surprise to me that I enjoyed it as much as I did. Firstly, Life, the Universe and Everything was clearly never written as a radio drama and so, next to the first two seasons, this was always going to look and feel differently. Secondly, the final books of the Hitchhikers cycle were never as strong as those that were originally adapted from the radio series anyway.

Life, the Universe and Everything is problematic to me because
Alan
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating between 3.5 & 4

The only reason for 4 stars is the enjoyment of listening to the actors all together again performing their original roles.
The new book was well done and worked very well.
The overall story was okay I thought and the decision to continue from the end of the primary phase was correct I think.
There was a brief reference to the effect that the secondary phase only happened in zaphod’s mind. Certainly that is my least favourite series.
The major downside of this series was
D.L. Pitchford
I've really enjoyed listening to the original radio broadcasts, so I was kinda surprised when this one came along and retconned at least half of Secondary Phase. It makes sense because a lot of Secondary Phase didn't make it into the books, but it threw me for a loop. And since this script was written after Life, The Universe, and Everything instead of before it like the first two phases, this one has a much more cohesive plot. I was a little sad there wasn't as much Zaphod or Marvin in this ...more
Delores Thomas
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bonnie Dale Keck
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have saw the serial and the movies and read the books individually and as omnibus and different sets, hardback, still in my library, says a lot. Date wrong, just saw it to review. also listened to radio ones of course
Colleen
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the radio play of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! Douglas Adams is so creative. It's a fun read/listen. I'm looking forward to watching the movie.
Sam
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
My favorite so far, though the ending is weaker than the start.
Gary Mcfarlane
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Except most of the good bits were about frogs" ...
Joshua Cox
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks, comedy, sci-fi
Michael Clemens
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Considerably better than The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Secondary Phase, this series has the benefit of a solid plotline that carries all the way through the story, instead of discrete humorous elements that were glued together to form a manic whole. Zaphod is rightly delegated to a supporting role, and Arthur, despite his many misadventures, continues to grow as a character, and as such, finally gets a chance to do a bit more than complain, although even this is a long time coming. ...more
Becky
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm not quiet sure how to rate this one. I didn't like it but kept listening hoping it would get better. I realized by the last CD that this was the 3rd book in a series of 6, I think, so that might have something to do with it. But what made me change my mind from a 1 star to a 2 star was at the very end when they talked about the real problem with time travel was grammar and what tense to use when you talk about something you were about to do but decided to time travel ahead a few days to get ...more
Mike
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Douglas Adams writes very well giving comedy in a science fiction and fantasy setting. He stacks normal expressions and reasoning in unexpected ways to reach absurd and hilarious conclusions. I have now read the full Hitchhiker's Guide series several times and found new things each time I read it. Reading the series in order will help a person new to the work in following the action but it is probably not required to get much of the messages under the entertaining plot. If you have more time for ...more
Anna
Feb 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
The return of H2G2 radio for the new Millennium.. with the story of daleks Krikketmen

The cut-ups of new narrator with the old for the intro was a great move! Resets continuity disguised as the book's system-wide update. Convoluted spacetime continuity still managing to make sense with a Zaphod throaway line (altho technically, considering most of Secondary took place in a pocket alterna-universe, THIS universe having their own timeline ticking along still makes it work too) .. hey, even Trillian
Min
Apr 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Picking up right where the Secondary Phase left off, this is Life, the Universe, and Everything as a dramatization.
That can be no more said about it than, it is even crazier in context to add time travel, and new voices for old characters as the actors had passed on.
I continue to like Arthur, and Zaphod best. This is how I encountered the story first, so, when I read it, I have their voices in my mind.
This is more manic, and erratic; requiring exposition to explain more than should have been
g2
Jul 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was my first exposure to "The Hitchhiker's Guide," and although I knew nothing about Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect, and all the others in their (mis)adventures through the galaxy, I've been greatly intrigued. "The Tertiary Phase" may be smack dab in the middle, but it was pretty easy to get a sense of what had gone on in the first two parts, but left enough gaps to pique my curiosity. I'll be tracking down the first two instalments for sure!
Ian Lepine
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite instalment of the Hitchhiker's series. I personally think that the people of Krikkit constitute one of the most fascinating villains in literature. They are particularly well rounded and believe in 'peace, justice, morality, culture, sport, family life, and the obliteration of all other life forms'.

The dialogue in this tertiary phase is as one would expect, marvellous, and it includes some real linguistic jewels that I've never been able to find in any other writer.
Susan
Dec 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
The universe can be a vast, empty place until Douglas Adams gets hold of it. The BBC cast that performs this radio dramatization of Adams' work fills the cosmos with characters and situations that will leave you confused, dazed, and entirely happy. This is a well produced piece with great sound effects. To hear a review that includes clips from the audiobook, go to
Tom Schulte
May 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
This audiobook is a compendium of a BBC series of a re-telling/remagings in compressed and suitably zany and insane form of the Hitchhikers's trilogy. Here with Richard Griffiths as Slartibartfast it is a fun and quick romp across the universe with Arthur Dent, Prefect Ford, Trillian, and the rest. With the goofiness turned up to "eleven", this one telegraphs a childish enjoyment.
Meg Morden
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great addition to the canon. I had been given this set of CD's a while back and thought that it was just the primary phase! I recently grabbed it for a car trip to the cottage and found that it was new material! What a gift! Arthur Dent and company are back and dealing with the end of the world, again! Good hilarious stuff.
Hollyhocks
Jul 31, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: listenedto
I was a bit lost. I think these books/movies are over my head or something. I actually checked this out to listen to thinking it was the book the movie was based on so maybe I could understand the movie a bit more.. but, nope, it was, I think, the sequel to the first book....
Maya
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Listened to this audiobook of a BBC radio series on a long car trip. Enjoyed the voices, sound effects, and absurd humor a lot, but the absolute best part was that it converted my 14-year-old son to the Adams books.

My new favorite word is "flollop", a verb describing the motion of a mattress.
Jason
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was miffed that this Phase retcons the secondary phase. Runs very close to the 2nd book. Good listen
Zach
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Pretty good radio play of Life, the Universe and Everything. Would make NO sense if you are not already familiar with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Philip
The last of the 5-star books; things just got a little complicated from here on out. This books was a standout, however, as it had what was probably the most self-contained plot of the whole series.
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
ongoing saga of Arthur Dent and friends as then travel through time and space.

• And Another Thing... (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #6)
  • d6
  • By Any Means Necessary: America's Secret Air War
  • The Tank War: The Men, the Machines and the Long Road to Victory
  • The Invention That Changed the World
  • Canon EOS Rebel T1i / 500d for Dummies
  • Cat Sense: How the New Feline Science Can Make You a Better Friend to Your Pet
  • Motorcycle Roadcraft the Police Rider's Handbook to Better Motorcycling
  • 100 Ways to Take Better Nature & Wildlife Photographs
  • Back to the Bedroom (Elsie Hawkins #1)
  • The Nosy Neighbor
  • Close to Shore: The Terrifying Shark Attacks of 1916
  • Doctor Who: Ghosts of India
  • Doctor Who: The Price of Paradise
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
  • How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems
  • Doctor Who: The Stone Rose
  • Dachshund Through the Snow (Andy Carpenter #20)
Douglas Noël Adams was an English author, comic radio dramatist, and musician. He is best known as the author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Hitchhiker's began on radio, and developed into a "trilogy" of five books (which sold more than fifteen million copies during his lifetime) as well as a television series, a comic book series, a computer game, and a feature film that was ...more

Hitchhiker's Guide BBC Radio Series (6 books)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Primary Phase
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Secondary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #2)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Quandary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #4)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Quintessential Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #5)
  • And Another Thing... (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #6)
“So, like I said, these are a bunch of really sweet guys, but you wouldn't want to share a Galaxy with them, not if they're just gonna keep at it, not if they're not gonna learn to relax a little. I mean it's just gonna be continual nervous time, isn't it, right? Pow, pow, pow, when are they next coming at us? Peaceful coexistence is just right out, right? Get me some water somebody, thank you."

He sat back and sipped reflectively.

OK," he said, "hear me, hear me. It's, like, these guys, you know, are entitled to their own view of the Universe. And according to their view, which the Universe forced on them, right, they did right. Sounds crazy, but I think you'll agree. They believe in ..."

He consulted a piece of paper which he found in the back pocket of his Judicial jeans.

They believe in `peace, justice, morality, culture, sport, family life, and the obliteration of all other life forms'.”
40 likes