Start by marking “Understanding the Difficult Words of Jesus (REV)” as Want to Read:
Understanding the Difficult Words of Jesus (REV)

Understanding the Difficult Words of Jesus (REV)

This book clearly describes ways of understanding some original Hebrew and Greek techniques and discovering the true meanings of many of the words of Jesus. This book will be an important addition to your personal or group Bible study time.
Published October 1st 1994 by Destiny Image Incorporated (first published November 30th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding the Difficult Words of Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding the Difficult Words of Jesus

Jeff McCormack
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
In my continued studies on the Hebrew backgrounds to the Bible, including the New Testament language and culture, I ran across this title and scooped it up. I found it to be very informative, even though somewhat brief. The major part of the book is set out to prove that the New Testament books, most specifically the four gospels, were originally written in Hebrew, and later translated into Aramaic or Greek.

The book then sets out to show how translating Hebrew idioms and known Hebrew cultural sa
Chad
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
A helpful book in many respects, but I found the layout very frustrating. Rather than presenting the arguments all in one place, I had to keep flipping between the front and back of the book.
Pearlie
Jul 18, 2010 rated it liked it
I found this little book in the bookstore yesterday. This 128-page book argues that we need to interpret the Gospels from a Hebraic perspective.

The authors are scholars of Judaic-Christian studies. They maintain that the bible needs to read with knowledge of the Hebrew language. They contend that the Synoptic Gospels are originally conveyed in Hebrew and that it is with much Hebraic idioms that cannot be fully brought across by merely interpreting it into Greek or in our case English. For examp
John
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education, religious
David Bivin makes a good case for understanding the Greek NT through a closer look at the Hebraic context. It is a short but enjoyable volume. The primary task of the book is to build the intellectual case for a Hebrew hermeneutic in interpreting the NT. It lingers a bit but is useful and helpful. The Appendix is really the meat of the book. It is filled with the methodology of the hermeneutic in practice and is quite thought-provoking.
Kirk Warden
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good insight into the Hebrew text.

Clears up long misunderstood phrases of the New Testament and helps bring the true meaning to light. Very easy read and has plenty of examples you can verify yourself in the Old Testament.
Grant Sowter
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Well structured. Easy to read. Breaks down the concepts into digestible pieces. And it’s got enough humanity in it to relate to without losing its academic punch
Debbie
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bible-study
"Understanding the Difficult Words of Jesus" is a Bible study or Bible backgrounds book. The main part of the book was an argument that Hebrew, not Aramaic, was the "common language" of the Jewish people and the language that Jesus mainly taught in. The authors examined the problems with the Aramaic and Greek theories. They then talked about modern linguistic research and evidence outside the Bible and in the gospels for Hebrew being the everyday language of Jews in Israel.

Then they discussed so
Brent Wilson
Feb 15, 2010 rated it liked it
The first half of the book is for language specialists/enthusiasts. The only really valuable part of the book is the appendix, which goes through several hard-to-understand sayings, and explains their meaning by reference to Hebrew. I'm keeping it on my shelf for this reason (and cause it's skinny).
Dmcconkey
Jan 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
The first book by Bivin on look at the Gospels from the perspective of the Jerusalem School of Synoptic Research. Will not agree with all their conclusions but is worth working through and considering the text & evidence.
Kevin E. Johnson
An eye-opening Read!

This read was my second of this helpful and enlightening resource. I highly recommend this work to all who "hunger and thirst" after righteousness, and those who truly desire to understand the Words of our Master Yeshua/Jesus.
Nicole
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
The last chapter and the appendix were the best part of this book. Very eye opening and interesting.
Paul
Sep 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Analysis of certain passages to find out what it literally meant in Jesus' time
Douglas Wilson
May 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: biblical-studies
On the plus side of good.
Nick Thompson
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a masterful book that gives you a fresh perspective on the whole Bible. I think it is a must read
Billy Jack  Blankenship
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Total Bible geek book. I loved it.
Jacki
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting book but I like most of what David Bivin writes
Barbara
Sep 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a book that gives many conclusions but does shed some light on the Jewishness of some of Jesus' responses.
Paul Garner
Aug 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Jesus the Jewish Theologian
  • Our Father Abraham: Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith
  • Jewish New Testament Commentary: A Companion Volume to the Jewish New Testament
  • The Jewish Gospels
  • The Essential Writings
  • The Temple: Its Ministry and Services
  • God Was in This Place and I, I Did Not Know
  • The Bible as It Was
  • Poet and Peasant, and Through Peasant Eyes: A Literary-Cultural Approach to the Parables in Luke
  • Jewish Wisdom
  • The Hebrew Yeshua Vs. the Greek Jesus: New Light on the Seat of Moses from Shem-Tov's Hebrew Matthew
  • The Complete Artscroll Siddur