Start by marking “A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple #7)” as Want to Read:
A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple #7)

A Pocket Full of Rye

(Miss Marple #7)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  25,633 ratings  ·  1,134 reviews
A handful of grain is found in the pocket of a murdered businessman! Rex Fortescue, king of a financial empire, was sipping tea in his 'counting house' when he suffered an agonising and sudden death. On later inspection, the pockets of the deceased were found to contain traces of cereals. Yet, it was the incident in the parlour which confirmed Jane Marple's suspicion that ...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Signet (first published November 9th 1953)

To ask other readers questions about A Pocket Full of Rye, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cavak
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  25,633 ratings  ·  1,134 reviews

Start your review of A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple #7)
Melindam

Eating bread and honey.

The maid was in the garden,
Hanging out the clothes,
When down came a blackbird
And pecked off her nose.

The title and parts of the plot of the novel refer to the nursery rhyme quoted above.

Originally I gave
Jeff
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: who-done-it
It’s been a long time since I’ve read any Agatha Christie and it’s easy to let one’s brain flow back into her story telling style. Her books do have a comforting familiarity. Dry humor to set the scene; the murder; the investigation; more dead bodies; the red herrings; the revealing.

No heavy lifting required. Like a pleasant spring day. This one is a Miss Marple and a decent read. It also provides an unexpected and emotional denouement.

Here’s the kicker for me: I find it very quaint that the
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple, #7), original publication year 1953, Agatha Christie
Abstract: A handful of grain is found in the pocket of a murdered businessman! Rex Fortescue, king of a financial empire, was sipping tea in his 'counting house' when he suffered an agonising and sudden death. On later inspection, the pockets of the deceased were found to contain traces of cereals. Yet, it was the incident in the parlour which confirmed Jane Marple's suspicion that here she was looking at a
Susan
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As anybody who reads the Miss Marple books knows, she often trains young housemaids, so they can go into service. When Miss Marple reads that one of the young maids she trained, Gladys Martin, has been found strangled - a clothes peg left on her nose - in the garden of the house where she worked, she sets off at once to see who did such a wicked thing. Murder had already visited the family, as the head of the household, Mr Rex Fortecue, was poisoned at work and, in his pocket, was a handful of ...more
Lata
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was right! I figured out this mystery's culprit. And I also figured the identity of the person who had the grudge against the Fortescue family.
Though Miss Marple doesn't show up till maybe halfway (and figures things out, of course), I did enjoy following Inspector Neal about as he questioned the family members about old nasty Rex's habits and behaviours.
I really enjoyed how Miss Marple does her twittery thing at first, until the inspector really begins taking her seriously. Then we see the
BrokenTune
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
It was Miss Somers' turn to make the tea. Miss Somers was the newest and the most inefficient of typists. She was no longer young and had a mild worried face like a sheep. The kettle was not quite boiling when Miss Somers poured the water on the tea, but poor Miss Somers was never quite sure when a kettle was boiling. It was one of the many worries that afflicted her in life.
She poured out the tea and took the cups round with a couple of limp, sweet biscuits in each saucer.

That quote has very
Veronique
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, stars-3-5, stars-4-0
3.75*

It’s the beginning of the month, which means time for another Christie book ;0)

I remembered this one quite clearly, having read it a few years ago. It felt somewhat different. On one side, we have a Miss Marple story, although our favourite old lady doesn’t come on the scene until around the middle of the book and stays in the background, and on the other a pretty ruthless murderer, hidden from sight until the very end.

The narrative is very deceptive, immersing itself in the life of this
Stephanie Anze
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, favorites
"Sing a song of sixpence, a pocket full of rye,
Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie.
When the pie was opened the birds began to sing,
Wasn't that a dainty dish to set before the king.

The king was in his counting house, counting out his money,
The queen was in the parlour eating bread and honey.
The maid was in the garden hanging out the clothes,
When there came a litte dickey bird and nipped off her nose."

When Rex Fortescue suddenly falls ill after drinking his regular cup of tea at his
Sophie Hannah
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Loved this - brilliantly surprising ending, and one of those ideal Christie solutions where everything turns on its head at the end and all the same facts suddenly look completely different. I would have given it four stars, except that Miss Marple didn't really (as far as I can see) have enough clues to lead her to the truth. She seemed to have magicked the truth out of nowhere. I know she's a genius about human nature, but I'd have liked a couple of more concrete clues to set her on the right ...more
Adrian
Without a doubt this has been one of my favourite books in the Miss Marple challenge. It is not a novel I remembered reading and so it was wonderful to experience for the first time (maybe ?)
As with a lot of the novels, Miss M is in it only fleetingly, but each appearance is worth waiting for in terms of insight and revelation, and yes I still see Joan Hickson every time.
Cristina
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn’t figure out who the killer was! And it was so annoying, because I usually figure it out pretty fast.
But, without a doubt, this was another well written book by Agatha Christie.
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Same old good Agatha Christie book. Easy read and impossible to be put down. I really missed reading the Agatha Christie books :D
Ashley
This one was really good! I think it might be my favorite of the Miss Marple books I've read so far, which is about half of them. (Until now I liked A Murder is Announced the best, because it had so much of Miss Marple in it, but this one barely features her at all, and it was quite good, so who knows what my standards even are anymore.)

This is one of her infamous nursery rhyme mysteries (I think she did three or four of them? which is why it was so fun to see Magpie Murders take that on as
Mara
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's something that feels very quintessentially Christie about this one - the family dynamics, the pacing, the types of clues, the character types. All of it plays to her strengths... so much so, I'll pardon her fondness for overly contrived framing devices in the form of nursery rhymes :)
Obsidian
I weirdly have some Miss Marple in paperback format and some that are not. I have no idea why. So realizing that I had this on my bookshelf, I decided to read it for Halloween Bingo.

This was done really well. Christie starts the book off with us following an Inspector Nettle to figure out who murdered Rex Fortescue and his second wife, Adele. Initially, it appears that Adele and the man who she is having an affair with are the perpetrators behind the crimes. When the maid is found strangled to
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
Book 12 for the Miss Marple Challenge. When I picked up my copy of this one, I found the first couple of pages has fallen out―so I used for the first time, the “preview” feature on GR to read the missing bit―so very glad this was available.

The wealthy Rex Fortescue, a shrewd but unscrupulous man, is poisoned, falling ill just after having tea in his office, his pocket full of rye. While Mr Fortescue’s name and circumstances of his death merely hinted at the rhyme “Sing a Song od Sixpence”,
Elham
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although Miss Marple is always the one who finally finds the truths, too bad she's not herself a real detective. I think I must look for such character in radical science-fiction dystopian feminist novels.
Mansuriah Hassan
Agatha Christie is definitely one of my favourite author. I immensely enjoyed this book - an innocent cup of tea leads the reader on a path of exploration into the world of a very disfunctional family. This is a good Miss Marple mystery. Even though Miss Marple was not mentioned as often as I had expected.

A Pocket Full of Rye contains many of the very best elements of Agatha Christie: vivid and interesting characters, a great set-up, and the clever "gimmick" of three murders all being cleverly
Kavita
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk, mystery
A Pocketful of Rye is yet another murder mystery based on a nursery rhyme, one was one of my favourite ones. A businessman called Rex dies. His body is found with a few grains of rye in his pocket. Then comes the death of the 'queen in the parlour eating bread and honey.' And finally, the 'maid in the garden hanging out the clothes'. Even the blackbird pecking off her nose was implied by a clothes clip on her nose.

This triple murder came to Miss Marple's notice because she had trained the maid
Laurel Young
May 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Agatha Christie loved to use nursery rhymes as a motif in her mystery novels for added creepiness. Sometimes it works perfectly, as with And Then There Were None or Crooked House (my favorite). Sometimes it feels a little forced, as with One Two Buckle My Shoe or, in this case, A Pocket Full of Rye. The premise is clever and also disturbing--the three murders that echo the rhyme (the king, the queen, the maid). I wondered how on earth Dame Agatha would explain the murderer's use of the rhyme ...more
Niveditha R
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I hadn't read a Miss Marple mystery in quite a long time. Glad I chose this one. I partly worked it out by paying careful attention, but as usual Agatha Christie succeeded in befuddling me in some aspects!

What I love about Miss Marple is the way she compares character traits to someone she knows/ knew personally. Also, the way she uses her age and dithering manner to gain a level of comfort with the suspects is remarkable. Obviously us readers can see through her tricks! She's pink and cute and
Jan C
"There are coincidences.... But they shouldn't happen too often"

I've had multiple reads of this. And I have seen the films. Unfortunately, some of the films don't adhere that closely to the book. And then they can become confused in your mind. So I re-listened to a chapter or two, knowing that I had dozed off, and not knowing whether I missed something or the item I am remembering is from a movie and not from the book.

It wasn't in the book.

This is a multiple read for me. But always enjoyable.
Lydia Therese
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads, mysteries
Just what. I thought I had it all figured out. And I did, to some extent. But I definitely did NOT get the murder right. The one character I liked in this book (besides Miss Marple and Inspector Neele, obviously) did it??!?!?! I WAS SO WRONG. I DIDN'T BELIEVE THE WORST IN PEOPLE, WHICH I SHOULD OBVIOUSLY DO. Miss Marple says it herself. EVERYBODY is a suspect in these books. EVERY. BODY. GOT THAT???
Even that inconspicuous museum guard. He probably did it. Don't think "Oh the guard never does
☯Emily
Another enjoyable reread. I remembered who the murderer was when (view spoiler) was killed. However, I did not remember the entire plot or the reason for the murder. It is a good thing that Miss Marple was nosy and went to the scene of the crimes. I'm not sure the detective would have figured it out without her.
Hafsa Sabira
Not the best Miss Marple I have read.
Leslie
3.5* for this audiobook edition

Miss Marple plays a smaller role in this book than she did in the Joan Hickson dramatization, which I found disappointing. However, Richard Grant does an excellent narration.
Susan in NC
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievable- I found a Miss Marple I don't recall reading! Or if I did, I was very young...either way, I know I've seen the BBC version at some point. Not sure if it was my beloved Joan Hickson or one of the other Marples.

I enjoyed this book thoroughly and read it through in one rainy, cloudy, frigid winter Sunday - perfect! The local library has a beautiful collection of Christie books so I am able to indulge my current reading project of finishing Miss Marple in order and then Poirot - a
Luffy
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A most interesting fact about my interpretation of detective books is that I'm not able to appreciate and rate with the consensus how good the outcome of an investigation is. Many people swear by the cleverness of the murderer's alibi. Not me; it's not a deliberate choice, I simply can't appreciate the subtlety of a water tight crime. The way I see it, is that if the journey is good, and if there are startling revelations, and if I can put a face to a well depicted character, then the said book ...more
Anna Kļaviņa
Sing a song of sixpence,
A pocket full of rye.
Four and twenty blackbirds,
Baked in a pie.

When the pie was opened,
The birds began to sing;

And pecked off her nose
Kirsty
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: april-2017
The plot of A Pocket Full of Rye didn't interest me as much as Christie's other Miss Marple books have and do; however, I was determined to read them in publication order. Whilst I only gave this three stars, it is a really well written, and very clever, mystery. Miss Marple herself does not appear until chapter 13, and despite being more engaging than They Do It With Mirrors, I still wasn't overly enamoured with aspects of it. It did tie together well however.

• Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)
  • The Unexpected Guest
  • Spider's Web

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in

Miss Marple (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1)
  • The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2)
  • The Body in the Library (Miss Marple, #3)
  • The Moving Finger (Miss Marple, #4)
  • A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5)
  • They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple, #6)
  • 4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple, #8)
  • The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple, #9)
  • A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple, #10)
  • At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, #11)
“Nobody believes in magicians any more, nobody believes that anyone can come along and wave a wand and turn you into a frog. But if you read in the paper that by injecting certain glands scientists can alter your vital tissues and you'll develop froglike characteristics, well, everybody would believe that.” 32 likes
“You think he is marrying her for money?'

'Yes, I do. Don't you think so?'

'I should say quite certainly,' said Miss Marple. 'Like young Ellis who married Marion Bates, the rich ironmonger's daughter. She was a very plain girl and absolutely besotted about him. However, it turned out quite well. People like young Ellis and this Gerald Wright are only really disagreeable when they've married a poor girl for love. They are so annoyed with themselves for doing it that they take it out of the girl. But if they marry a rich girl they continue to respect her.”
8 likes