Start by marking “The Hunt for the Seventh” as Want to Read:
The Hunt for the Seventh

The Hunt for the Seventh

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  2,678 Ratings  ·  348 Reviews

Jim moves to ancient Minerva Hall and encounters the ghosts of six children. They urge him to find the seventh child and leave him cryptic clues that point to a dark, ancient prophecy that only Jim can stop from being fulfilled. Jim turns to Einstein, a brilliant autistic boy who lives at the Hall. If anyone can help Jim, Einstein can. But the boy, who speaks in riddles, p

Published March 2nd 2010 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published September 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Hunt for the Seventh, please sign up.

RumBelle The statues of children are central to the plot. That is why one figures so prominently on the cover. Who the statue is looking at is meant to be a…moreThe statues of children are central to the plot. That is why one figures so prominently on the cover. Who the statue is looking at is meant to be a main character. (less)

Jessica
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Do you like scary or spooky ghost stories that freak you out? Then you would really love this one!
***Spoiler Alert*** This Book will get you thinking about what will happen next you wont be able to put it down. In this Fantasy book I liked the way the author Christine Morton Shawn makes me feel like I am there in the book with the characters and experiencing the events going on in the book. This book is one of my top favorite book because it has all what I look for in a book.

The book takes place
Marquisrs
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book I felt a mixture of emotions. Since the plot and background of the book are stated early, I began to make predictions as to what I thought would happen. The plot was basically about a young boy named Jim who has lost his mother and moved to a huge, creepy estate with his father and sister. Knowing the background of the main character helped me get a feel for why he dealt with certain things the way he did. One of these things was the interaction with the many ghosts in the esta ...more
Ryn
10-11 Hannah
Are ghost real? Can a statue tell a story? Jim and his sister Sadie are getting over their mother's death. Their father makes them move to a scary mansion called Minavera Hall, where Jim's father will become the head gardener. But Jim thinks that he is being watched but children who have been dead for almost 100 years. I've read this once and loved it but it just didnt keep my attention.
Astrid
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Just as good as I remember it being. I love the mystery and the suspense behind every page, every word even. The only thing keeping it from a 5 in my opinion was the fact that at times it tended to drag.
Azalia
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*******spoiler alert********

Have you ever wonder if one day you would be the chosen one to find a secret or something? Adventure,mystery, and realistic fiction is the genre of this book. I thought this book was awesome but at the same time I thought that it was kind of kind of because some parts were kind of not really needed in the book.

The setting of this book takes place in the Minerva hall. Jim was Is the main character of the book cause his the one that is chosen to find the seventh whic
Havityia
Jim, his sister, and his father are moving to the mysterious Minerva manor as a second chance. His mother has just passed away. He's unhappy there, in the stuffy old manor, with a Lord Minerva who seems out to get him. Then things get even worse when a voice whispers to him: "Find the seventh." Joined by Lord Minerva's autistic son, who seems to know everything, he must figure out who the seventh is, before time runs out.

First off, in many places, the story seemed similar to a video game. You kn
Juan Pantoja
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would you like to go on a hunt for clues and dead people? Then you should read The hunt for the seventh.The genre is Mystery and its a fiction book.WHen I was reading this book I thougth that it was so interestin that I couldn't put the book down. ***SPOILER ALERT***

The setting of the book takes place in England at a kingdom called Minerva Hall. The book doesn't say what year it is in the story, but there was a rubix cube and camera's in the book so I'm guessing its the year 2000. Jim (main char
Francisco Rivera
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you like suspenseful books in which they keep you reading? If so i would recommend you to read The Hunt for the Seventh. The genre of this book is mystery and fiction. In my opinion I believe this book was really good. It kept me reading till the end.
The Hunt for the Seventh takes place in Minerva Hall. Minerva Hall is a mansion with a very large backyard. The time this book takes place is in is around the 1990s. The type of conflict of this book is person vs person. Since Jim has to discov
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

Jim has moved to Minerva Hall with his father and sister. His mother has recently died, and in order to overcome the family's grief, his father has accepted a position as Head Gardener. But from the first day, life at Minerva Hall is far from normal.

While touring the grounds, Jim hears a voice whisper in his ear, "Find the Seventh." No one else has heard the ghostly voice, but Jim believes it. He is convinced someone has died there. But he can't tell his d
Shelley Coughlin Porter
The concept of this book intrigued me from the start. Jim has recently moved to an estate with his father, who is the new Head Gardener, and his sister. His mother has recently passed away and moving to this giant estate, where people come to get guided tours of the house and the grounds, is the family’s way of making a new start.

This all seems pretty promising until Jim starts seeing and hearing creepy things all around the estate. Eventually he finds himself in the middle of a mystery dating b
Beth
Dec 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-novel
Poor James just can't get a break. His mother recently passed away, his Dad is distant, his sister is the charming one, his family had to move to the crummy part of manor house for his Dad's new job, and to top it all off, he's hearing voices and seeing dead people. James quickly discovers that 6 children have died on the property and to his dismay, they're trying to tell him something. The ghostly images of the ugly eyeless old woman don't help him out either. James feels compelled to discover ...more
Megan Suchodolski
This book was good. Its another creepy book. This one also sent chills to my back. Its about a young boy who is being followed around by ghost. Only he can see them no one else.The ghost tell him that he needs to fidn the 7th.Jim has no clue what this means.But he better find out. If he doesnt inoccent people will die. So Jim goes around looking for clues. He ask the ghost children if they can give him hints. They just disapper when he asks.
Kat Heckenbach
A pretty well-written middle grade ghost story with a bit of mystery. I liked the characters and thought the premise was interesting. There was a bit too much convenience of circumstance, but overall a decent read. I passed it on to my 12 yr old son--we'll see what he thinks :).
Julie
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was in 5th grade and could not shut up when talking about it! I loved the background stories of the characters. It was such a spooky book and I did NOT expect the ending. Please read this if you like horror, mystery, and endings you will never expect.
Alissa smith
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was very mysterios and intense i liked it very much the i liked most most about it was that it had alot of [eople in it that u had 2 learn about
RumBelle
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghost-stories
This book in a lot of ways, to me, was a major let down. First off, let me say that the way Henry or "Einstein's" character was treated, and what eventually happened to him because he was autistic, amongst other factors, was appalling. As was the perpetrator. It really upset me reading it. Many of the adults in this book were either horribly cruel, very uncaring, or just extremely mean. It did not make the book enjoyable at all. The majority of the story fell very flat and disjointed. Also, the ...more
Lady of the Tower
Really enjoyed this one! It's about as spooky as I can handle (so, not at all to more seasoned ghost story fans), and is just right for this time of year. Loved the writing style, and the pace of the story. I did feel like the way some characters treated Einstein/Henry, the autistic boy, was a bit harsh (view spoiler). Since I don't usually read anything like this, I liked the plot and backstory, though other reviewers found it simple or typical. Y ...more
Ally Franzino
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book and the concept was good. it was kind of creepy but not too creepy for those who get scared easily. The end surprised me and I didn't expect what happened to happen which I liked. There is nothing I hate more than predictable endings. This book brought out many emotions of sadness and was quite disturbing in some scenes, but it never dragged on and was fast paced which I really liked.
Natalia
I thought this would be a good book for a Halloween read, but I did not really enjoy it. I just did not buy the whole premise of the book - did not make any sense to me. By the last third of the book, I started skipping parts just to get through it faster. It was spooky at times but did not hold my interest long enough.
Natasha Markoutsis
This book was very good, but I would recommend it to 6-7 graders. I feel like this book is for younger teenagers because the plot of the book was very interesting, but it would have been more interesting for a younger age level.
Marti Doktorchik
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
For a young adult book, this one is pretty creepy! I love the mystery and clues that the ghosts leave for the main character, and I love the addition of the Druid/pagan ceremonies that dispel the notion of witches as evil. A great Halloween read!
Emily Honn
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall a great book. It kept my attention and it had remarkable events. My only issue was how Jim kept forgetting about the cameras and the theme was hard to decide upon. But all in all its a good book.
Dalilah
Everyone likes creepy books right? Well mostly, but if you do this is the book just for you. This book is a Fantasy and Non-Fiction since there is ghosts for some of the characters. To me the book was'nt all that good, but it was ok. It's surprising at parts of the story, but to me I just did'nt seem to like it all that much. But anyways that was MY opinion, so maybe you'll like it, you never know.

Jim and his father and sister live at Minerva Hall. And Jim's mother had died from an illness. The
Julia Wood
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting ghostly mystery read, similar to the sixth sense.
Kristina Pringle
Meredithhubrich
May 23, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Amber
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helpless, though it may seem like the end of the world when trying to figure out what in the world is going on. It’s not as easy as it seems. The hunt for the seventh in an endless mansion, a sever hunt that may cost the life of the only one who is trying to figure the seventh out. And has already cost the lives of others in the past. This divine book to me was an inspirational read. Not because of what happens in the book but, the way the author wrote it. I would recommend this book to anyone w ...more
Daisy
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you been on a search to find someone or some thing? Well in this book Jim is willing to go on an adventure to find the Seventh. The genre of this book is mystery.
I thought this book was mysterious and amazing. I really liked this book cause if the mystery.

This book takes place Minerva Hall and the town. Jim wants be able to find the Seventh but his dad!Sally,Minerva and Mrs. Benson keep getting in his way so he has to sneak out without anyone knowing then that way he could be able to find
low
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hunt for the Seventh by Christine Morton-Shaw, recommended to me by Noel at http://kaiboshiblade.wordpress.com/

Summary (from back of book):

Find the Seventh…

Jim moves to ancient Minerva Hall and encounters the ghosts of six children. They urge him to find the seventh child and leave him cryptic clues that point to a dark ancient prophecy that only Jim can stop from being fulfilled. Jim turns to Einstein, a brilliant autistic boy who lives at the Hall. If anyone can help Jim, Einstein can. But
The Hunt for the Seventh 1 13 Sep 26, 2013 09:46AM
What's The Name o...: YA Book Kid finds Kids who Died [s] 6 36 Jun 16, 2013 08:13PM
  • Blizzard of Glass: The Halifax Explosion of 1917
  • The Stone Child
  • Candy Bomber: The Story of the Berlin Airlift's "Chocolate Pilot"
  • The Seer of Shadows
  • Bamboo People
  • I, Emma Freke
  • Boys Without Names
  • Ghetto Cowboy
  • Breathe: A Ghost Story
  • The Crossroads (Haunted Mystery, #1)
  • Words in the Dust
  • The Ghost's Grave
  • Killer Pizza (Killer Pizza #1)
  • All the Lovely Bad Ones
  • The Ghosts
  • How They Croaked: The Awful Ends of the Awfully Famous
  • The House On Hackman's Hill
  • Horowitz Horror: Stories You'll Wish You Never Read
207235
I'm a writer of children's picture books and two novels. You can find out more about my first YA novel, THE RIDDLES OF EPSILON at www.riddlesofepsilon.com, while
Other details of my books can be found if you type in my name to google. As for me, I'm generally considered a bit spooky, a bit mad or both. Maybe I am...

My new novel The Hunt for the Seventh comes out of September 30th 2008!

***

Christin
More about Christine Morton-Shaw...