Start by marking “Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)

Fletch's Fortune (Fletch #3)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,018 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Fletch’s Fortune

He hadn’t been a practicing journalist for years, although people remembered him and he still has a few contacts. And he’s pretty sure he hasn’t paid his dues to the American Journalism Alliance anytime recently. But somebody has.

Fletch’s Fortune

Enjoying himself on the French Riviera, developing a killer tan, and sleeping with the neighbor’s wife, Fletch is
Published (first published April 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Fletch's Fortune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fletch's Fortune

Mark
Jul 11, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody in search of some smartarsed detective story
Recommended to Mark by: I fell in love with the design of Gollanz Yellowjackets, and then found I very much liked Mr McDonalds writing
"C.I.A., Mister Fletcher."
"Um. Would you mind spelling that?"

And so starts the story of thirdly written Fletch novel in which I.M. Fletch is once again let loose on a world that does deserve his kind of craziness, but in a wholesome way I mean!

When the story starts Fletch returns from a beach in Italy were he did enjoy some morning exersizes with the wife of his neighbor, which is the cost of his neighbor sleeping in late.
Fletch finds himself blackmailed into doing a job for the US secret organ
Cathy DuPont
Aug 18, 2013 Cathy DuPont rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who are trying to repair their computer and are frustrated.
All of us at one time or another have gone through the stress of a broken modem, router, computer tower, laptop and/or a million other things that can occur to prevent access to the internet.

Internet access has become in some respects, imperative for many of us. So when lightening hit and destroyed my modem/router, and I spent five hours just on the phone trying to resolve the problem, I needed a book that would lighten my mood and lower my blood pressure and stress level.

For me, something non
Ian Cockerill
Mar 23, 2017 Ian Cockerill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed both the first two Fletch books, having been originally inspired to read them by the Chevy Chase film from 1985. The Fletch in the first two books is quite different but the cynical humour is there and the books are equally enjoyable.
I did have to check the publication date of this one because, to me at least, it seemed much closer to the Chevy Chase portrayal than the previous books in the series. Coincidental obviously, but this was a little more farcical and darkly humourous.
Fra
Alex Gherzo
Oct 03, 2016 Alex Gherzo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three books in and I feel like I could read the entire Fletch series in one stretch. Fletch's Fortune is probably my least favorite so far, but it's so funny and entertaining the ranking is mostly splitting hairs. This time Fletch is approached by two men from the CIA who use his non-payment of taxes to coerce him into attending a convention for the American Journalism Alliance and spying on his former colleagues. To make matters worse, the head of the AJA -- a powerful media magnate -- is murde ...more
Dave
Jun 18, 2017 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-borrowed
Fletch' Fortune is MacDonald's tribute to the age-old tradition of hotel murder mystery weekends where a bunch of people at an out-of the-way hotel usually in the Catskills get together, one is murdered, and everyone has a motive and is a suspect. Throw in the CIA, a little blackmail, and a bunch of piranhas known as journalists, and you have a story. Or do you? It is filled with clever, snarky dialogue, but way too much meaningless banter. It's a snoozefest and rather boring.
Mark
May 19, 2017 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining Fletch story at the Journalism convention. Snappy one liners and a murder no-one can solve.
Chris Aldrich
Sep 29, 2016 Chris Aldrich rated it really liked it
Fletch's Fortune has a great high concept plot, which is really saying something for Fletch novels which all seem to have a high concept start from a sprinting position. It also allows for a fairly closed setting and lots of satire. The fact that Fletch is somehow both journalist and not journalist allows for some interesting dynamics.

For a parlor-type mystery, there were almost too many characters/suspects, but given the potential size of the conference, I'll let Mcdonald take a flier on it as
Hans
Mar 10, 2014 Hans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Call it 3.5 stars - the time with Fletch gets the round up in ranking.

Fletch's Fortune finds our friend accosted by the CIA and forced to attend a convention of his old journalist peers. (view spoiler) McDonald makes all the conversations sing, but because things are just a little Fletchier when Fletch
Kevin
Jun 18, 2008 Kevin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fletch, far removed from the journalistic lifestyle, is confronted at his beach home in Italy by CIA agents directing him to spy on his former colleagues at a journalism convention or face being turned in to the IRS for years of tax evasion. Of course, Fletch says yes and shows up at the convention in Virginia just as the head of the organization turns up murdered. Now Fletch finds himself investigating the murder — what else would you expect from one of the world's finest investigative reporter ...more
Michael Duff
Jun 19, 2016 Michael Duff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My favorite Fletch book, must have read it a hundred times growing up.

Fletch attends a journalists convention and unravels a complex murder mystery while delivering some of the finest satire ever written about the craft.

Old-fashioned journalists were clever, hard-bitten assholes who chased stories because they hated lies and wanted to afflict the powerful.

That tradition is sadly dead now, replaced by TMZ vultures and 10 Ways to Get Your Summer Beach Body, but this book comes from an era when jou
Bryan
Jun 16, 2009 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun
A great book. Classic, funny, and witty. Fletch is great. I have read this before (in fact the whole series at least once) and enjoy re-reading them every once in a while. The writing is clever and keeps you involved. I tried to read them in order of events and not the order they are written, but I have forgotten the correct order. Oh well. Still fun to read.
Mike
Feb 20, 2009 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another toss-up between three stars and four stars; it winds up with three because I don't like it as much as "Fletch" or "Fletch's Moxie", although I'm not sure why. All I know is that it was easier to put down this book than those other two; I think it may be because the other characters weren't quite as interesting.
Paul
Feb 25, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Paul by: Ryan Varrelman
This was the first Fletch book I read and found it really funny and kept picturing Chevy Chase through the whole book. The books follow in a chronological order contrary to how the author wrote the books. So I will eventually read them in order.
Tim Medley
Jul 31, 2010 Tim Medley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this book this morning, I really enjoyed it. I like that it builds on previous charaters, stories and expands on the quirky, witty sometimes reporter that is Flecth. Looking forward to the next book.
JDK1962
Not a bad Fletch novel, better characters than some. Things get tied up perhaps too neatly at the end, but I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.

In retrospect, the title seems to make very little sense.
Dustin Voliva
Snappy dialogue, murder, sex, and Fletch could pretty much describe every Gregory McDonald novel I've read to date. McDonald doesn't waste time on providing much else and for a quick, entertaining read, you don't need anything more.
Shawn
Apr 10, 2009 Shawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
The plot, subplots, dialogue and the scenes are peppered with Gregory Mcdonald's humor. Like all of his books, they are well written and tend to bring a smile to your face.
John Bobo
Strong finish. Always fun to read Fletxh.
Mike
Sep 25, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, Fletch, prince of snarkiness. Is anyone better than Greg McDonald at the comedy-mystery?
Barbara
A LOT of fun and surprisingly complex. 3.5 at least.
David
Sep 14, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd never read this one of the Fletch series as it turned out. Dated but still good.
Jonathan Lee B.
Jan 07, 2017 Jonathan Lee B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fletch's Fortune is unraveling multiple yarn piles at once.
Brian Bilensky
Brian Bilensky rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
Gail
Gail rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2008
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2017
Sbadhn
Sbadhn rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Josef
Josef rated it really liked it
May 24, 2012
Kylethoreau
Kylethoreau rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2008
Jon Gutierrez
Jon Gutierrez rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2013
  • Noir
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)
  • Self's Deception (Gerhard Self #2)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • Cruel Zinc Melodies (Garrett P.I., #12)
  • Empty Mile
  • Devil's Garden
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Keeping Christmas
  • Stop This Man! (Hard Case Crime #58)
  • Death Times Three (Nero Wolfe, #47)
  • Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak, #10)
  • A Touch of Death (Hard Case Crime #17)
  • Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe: A Centennial Celebration
  • The Weight
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #6)

Fletch (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Fletch (Fletch, #1)
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • Fletch and the Widow Bradley
  • Fletch's Moxie (Fletch, #5)
  • Fletch and the Man Who (Fletch, #6)
  • Carioca Fletch (Fletch, #7)
  • Fletch Won (Fletch, #8)
  • Fletch, Too (Fletch, #9)
  • Son of Fletch (Fletch, #10 - Son Of Fletch, #1)
  • Fletch Reflected (Fletch, #11- Son Of Fletch, #2)