Start by marking “Search the Sky” as Want to Read:
Search the Sky

Search the Sky

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  282 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Something Was Very Wrong, Out There Among The Stars...The interstellar transport had touched down on six other colony worlds - and all six had been devoid of human life. Where was everybody? It was almost as if humankind, when separated by cosmic distances from Mother Earth, could not survive.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Search the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Search the Sky

Daniel
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pohl and Kornbluth are two of the greatest SF social satirists ever, and had collaborated before to excellent effect (The Space Merchants), but this one just does not connect its punches.

There are fine elements in it, and a few very memorable vignettes, but the effect is more tiring than illuminating. I don't know how much of this had to do with the edition I read being a 1985 fix-up and expansion by co-author Pohl (Kornbluth having unforutnately died in his prime long before), or if it were jus
Manny
Jan 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a decent piece of SF satire, set (roughly) in the same universe as The Marching Morons . I liked the planet with the gerontocracy. The hero gets to participate in an election: they wheel out the candidates, all of whom are over 100 and with tubes coming out of their noses. With great fanfare of trumpets, you get to hear exactly how old each one is. The hero is trying to make his mind up, when his native girlfriend tells him not to be silly. "They tell us their ages, and we vote for the ol ...more
Janelle
Yep, I've done it again and not finished another book. Search the Sky started well, and I had high hopes, but they didn't last long. I quickly came to dislike the main character, and the setting was depressing. Then in the second chapter the authors used about four strong blasphemies in a paragraph. This was offensive to me but I pressed on a little longer, not wanting to ditch another book. I'd been listening to the librivox audiobook, which while convenient, doesn't allow you to take a decent ...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
review of
Frederik Pohl & C. M. Kornbluth's Search the Sky
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - December 28, 2011

Reading this is my idea of a good time. I was most reminded of Gulliver's Travels - a journey to various extraordinary societies, each an exaggeration for satire's sake. A businessman on "Halsey's Planet" notices that the society around him is decaying. He gets thrust into a faster-than-light travel adventure to other planets in other solar systems in search of symptoms of a similar d
Lisa Nicholas
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I'm in the mood for science fiction, I don't usually go in for the humorous or parodic sort, but I must say I was really tickled by this novel. Set in the far future when Earth has lost track of its many colonies (and they with each other), an ordinary man gets drawn into a great adventure, in which he visits a variety of disparate planets and is set a puzzle to solve, for the sake of humankind.

As other readers have pointed out, the main portion of the story -- visiting other planets -- is
Marianne
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, gone, philo
I had high hopes for this book, having read another by these authors, a satire about advertising gone wrong. This book follows in the same vein of satire, with travel to different darkened worlds, each gone awry with their own comic problems, which are exaggerations of problems or potential problems in our own culture (as seen through a 1950s lens, reimagined in 1985). There are vignettes that flow quite amusingly, but they're stitched a bit awkwardly together.

I agree with another reviewer, that
Brian Greiner
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent example of SF exploring social ideas and trends. The authors were pretty good as individual writers, but as a team they were truly amazing. Good stuff.
Nawfal
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pohl and I don't jive. This one is too disjointed and heavy-handed to praise. Pretty much the cover art is the best part. (Love Richard Powers' art.) Otherwise, only for 1950s completists, I guess.
Ivar Volmar
Satiirilise alatooniga romaan inimkonna geneetilisest degenereerumisest. Teema eest võiks saada lausa neli tärni, teostuse eest annaks kaks tärni, kokku tulebki nende kahe keskmine, ehk 3. Minu meelest üks akuutsemaid teemasid üldse, eriti idee inimkonna jagunemisest füüsiliselt arenenud, ent vaimselt alaarenuteks (hedonistlikud lõbutsejad) ning vaimselt arenenud, ent füüsiliselt alaarenenud osaks.
Carole O'Brien
This is a firm favorite of mine, it was a bit slow at the start , but then all the best books are. This is a story about a planet were humanity has become stagnant and is dying, they send a man to the stars to see why other planets have not been responding to the traders call, this is a classic story , if your a Science Fiction reader , give it a try.
Luís Baixinho
Aventura simples que vai complicando com o tempo mas sem sair do expectável. Algumas analogias interessantes e com problemáticas bem actuais para a idade que o livro tem. Talvez algo datado na forma como são tratados alguns conceitos.
Vale a pena.
Jos
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Another SF novel from my youth that isn't as good as I remembered it. Flat characters, bumpy plot, questionable gender roles. All the classic marks of 50's science fiction are there.

The plot idea is interesting. Mankind was able to settle the universe. But now, something's wrong. The interstellar ships can't get in touch with a growing number of settled planets. The task to find out what's happening falls to Ross, a merchant dissatisfied with the degenerating conditions on his planet where the p
Martyn Lovell
This story mixes space opera with satire. The essential story pits a small band against a universal problem, and keeps the story compelling as they find a way to solve it.

The book is simply and clearly written and has a good mix of humour and sci fi.

Unfortunately, the book has quite a sexist tone - perhaps not surprising given how long ago it was written, but still jarring to a modern audience. In addition, some of the situations set up for satiricial purposes stretch credibility too far for my
Devero
Sep 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non male l'idea di fondo, ma lo sviluppo, chiaramente incentrato sulle possibili distopie sociali della nostra cultura è molto figlio del suo tempo. L'idea di base di una umanità che ha colonizzato, millenni fa, lo spazio grazie al volo ultraluminale che ora ha scordato e commercia solo con navi generazionali, andando incontro ad un rapido isolamento, si rispecchia chiaramente in alcuni aspetti della teoria darwiniana ed è chiaramente un ottimo spunto per un romanzo migliore di questo, comunque ...more
Carol
Maybe a book of its time. Written back in the 1950's it takes a satirical look at the society of the 1950's and how it was not keeping pace with changes and so decaying, including looking at how society votes to discrimination. As to whether it translates into the 2000's is another question and that depends on your view of society and whether things have really changed or not, or whether the boogie man has just changed colour or form or creed. Overall it is a light weight book with characters wh ...more
Andy
Deserves 2.5 not 3.

Strange... Reads like a set of short stories, probably was...

Some particularly misogynistic bits, but on the whole either inoffensive or offensive to all...

Not sure about the genetics mentioned....
Rust
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Classica avventura stile Galassia che vai, dove si salta da un mondo all'altro, esplorando alla ricerca di risposte. Incentrato su di un'idea brillante e una formula misteriosa, lo svolgimento però è un poco piatto. Tutto sommato, vista la breve lunghezza, un buon romanzo.
Pierre
Dec 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dutch
De landing van het ruimteschip
John
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rampant sexism makes it a period piece, but it is funny, in a dark sort of way. Retrieved from Gutenberg.org
Andres
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Como me gusta el classic SciFi cincuentero....
Kenneth Flusche
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not bad for 1954 SF!!!!!!
Alien
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It started well but got rather bad. Unbelievable plot. Well it's satire, so why should you wish for a plausible plot? For a satire it was not witty enough.
I was glad when I was finished.
Tommy Verhaegen
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paper_nl, sci-fi
Een realistisch probleem, een speurtocht door de ruimte op zoek naar een oplossing. Vele avonturen, gevangen genomen, ontsnapping, romantiek...
Goede beschrijvingen, snelle aktie. Top!
Sifra
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I'd really recommend this book for periods in which only half your brain is properly working. There were some really funny moments in there. I love outdated sience fiction!
Will Boncher
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Good story overall, dragged in some places. Kinda dystopian.
Scott
  • The Listeners
  • Marune: Alastor 933
  • Ballroom of the Skies
  • Thorns
  • Worlds of the Imperium (Imperium, #1)
  • Null-A Three
  • Final Blackout: A Futuristic War Novel
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor and fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited Galaxy magazine and its sister magazine IF winning the Hugo for IF three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl