Start by marking “The Sparrow” as Want to Read:
The Sparrow

The Sparrow (The Sparrow #1)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  45,970 Ratings  ·  5,789 Reviews
In 2019, humanity finds proof of extraterrestrial life when a listening post picks up exquisite singing from the planet Rakhat. While the U.N. debates possible contact missions, the Society of Jesus quietly organizes an 8-person expedition of its own. What the Jesuits find is a world so beyond comprehension that it will lead them to question what it means to be human.
Library Binding, Large Print , 665 pages
Published 1996 by Prince Frederick, Md. : RB Large Print, 2005

To ask other readers questions about The Sparrow, please sign up.

Brian Remington These are Jesuits, so, they're like Catholics who care more about doing good in the world than religious ritual. And that applies particularly to the…moreThese are Jesuits, so, they're like Catholics who care more about doing good in the world than religious ritual. And that applies particularly to the Jesuits that figure most prominently. There's a lot to talk about after reading this book. It would be great for a book club.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Genia Lukin It's not meant to be explained. It's a result of interacting with a new and alien biosphere, and not knowing precisely what you're interacting with,…moreIt's not meant to be explained. It's a result of interacting with a new and alien biosphere, and not knowing precisely what you're interacting with, which is not an unusual situation for explorers and first-time travelers. Even on Earth, people went to a new place, caught a new and unknown disease, and died of it, and that would only be exacerbated by it being a totally different planet.(less)

Lori
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had picked this up years ago due to all the terrific reviews, but when I started it, since it involves priests and such, I thought it was going to be a Christian book. So I'm really glad that a group decided to read this, because it is NOT a yah-yah Christian book at all. I would instead call it a spiritual book in that the journey involves time old questions, of faith, of God, of religion, of humanity. And altho most of the main characters are indeed Jesuits and so many questions and approach ...more
Brad
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, speculative
I had wanted to read The Sparrow since its release back in 1996/1997. I had seen a review of it and loved the basic idea of future Jesuits being the first “missionaries” to make contact with the first sentient alien species discovered. But I lost that review and was never able to figure out the name of the book or the author. I tried to discover it everywhere I went, and all those I asked were oblivious. I really thought I would have no trouble tracking it down, but I couldn’t, so after a while ...more
Candi
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"What is a life worth living, and what is a life wasted, and why? What is worth dying for, what is worth living for, and why? What shall I teach my child to value, and what shall I urge that child to avoid, and why? What am I owed by others and what do I owe others, and why? Each human culture provides a different set of answers to those questions, but deity is nearly always embedded in the Why."

The above quote is from Mary Doria Russell in her Afterword of this brilliant novel. I think they sum
Matt
Jun 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of soft sci-fi
Shelves: science-fiction
I've hit page 199 of 'The Sparrow' and the viscosity of the text is increasing.

By page 12, I had a lot of hope for this book. By page 88 I was really into the book, and thinking there was a good chance this was a 4 or 5 star book. At this point though, I'm not sure I can summon enough conviction up to finish it.

Russell takes a gamble with her story of telling it from the beginning and end toward the middle, and relies extremely heavily on foreshadowing. It’s high risk technique with a big payoff
Lyn
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell was Russell’s first novel and was published in 1996. Winning many accolades and several awards, including the Arthur C. Clarke Award, it describes a first contact between humans and an alien race. A group led by Jesuit priests travels to a planet near Alpha Centauri after alien singing is picked up from interspace radio signals.

This is a beautifully written novel with brilliant characterization (really the greatest strength of the novel) that is poignant in its
Manny
This is the third SF story I've read where a Jesuit priest goes on an expedition to another planet and suffers a spiritual crisis as a result. It's almost becoming a sub-genre. I don't want to call Emilio a whiner or anything - obviously, what happens to him is truly horrible. But, much as I hate to say it, his tragedy seemed lightweight compared to the other two, and I felt disappointed. I was expecting something a little more cosmic in scale.

Of the three stories, the one I found most effective
Dorothy
Jul 27, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ben Babcock
It has been a while since a book made me cry.

The Sparrow begins with a concise prologue, so unassuming that I overlooked its significance. Within this prologue, however, is a reminder, a sort of caveat that hangs over the book:
The Society [of Jesus:] asked leave of no temporal government. It acted on its own principles, with its own assets, on Papal authority. The mission to Rakhat was undertaken not so much secretly as privately—a fine distinction but one that the Society felt no compulsion to
Phrynne
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
I love when I skim through pages of reviews of a book and they are nearly all either 5 stars or one star. Only a really good book produces that range of opinion! This is a really good book.

The Sparrow is science fiction with class. It is well written, there is a satisfying amount of science fiction and then there is a whole lot more besides. Russell's greatest talent is in characterisation. I enjoyed every single one of the characters in this book and when I had to put it down and do other thing
Mary Ellen
Aug 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to feel better about their own writing abilities.
Recommended to Mary Ellen by: Someone I still can't bring myself to forgive.
Sadly, goodreads has yet to allow a kill-it-with-fire rating, so I'll have to content myself with a one star review and a nice cup of tea to quell the overpowering nausea. Not due to the "shocking" ending, which I would have welcomed somewhere around page two. Not due to the incompetent sci and incredibly half-assed fi. Due to the revolting, self-congratulatory, aren't-we-so-clever-and-cute, wink-to-the-audience characters. But perhaps this was intentional. Perhaps Ms. Russell intended her audie ...more
  • Air
  • He, She and It
  • Grass (Arbai, #1)
  • Beggars in Spain (Sleepless, #1)
  • Song of Time
  • Ammonite
  • Eifelheim
  • The Speed of Dark
  • The Mount
  • China Mountain Zhang
  • To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2)
  • Ring of Swords
  • A Door Into Ocean
  • In the Garden of Iden (The Company, #1)
  • Stories of Your Life and Others
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
  • Her Smoke Rose Up Forever
  • The Bohr Maker (The Nanotech Succession, #1)

The Sparrow (2 books)
  • Children of God (The Sparrow, #2)
“I do what I do without hope of reward or fear of punishment. I do not require Heaven or Hell to bribe or scare me into acting decently.” 103 likes
“There's an old Jewish story that says in the beginning God was everywhere and everything, a totality. But to make creation, God had to remove Himself from some part of the universe, so something besides Himself could exist. So He breathed in, and in the places where God withdrew, there creation exists."

So God just leaves?"

No. He watches. He rejoices. He weeps. He observes the moral drama of human life and gives meaning to it by caring passionately about us, and remembering."

Matthew ten, verse twenty-nine: Not one sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it."

But the sparrow still falls.”
79 likes