Start by marking “Parvana's Journey (The Breadwinner, #2)” as Want to Read:
Parvana's Journey (The Breadwinner, #2)

Parvana's Journey

(The Breadwinner #2)

In Parvana's Journey, the Taliban still control Afghanistan, but Kabul is in ruins. Parvana's father has just died, and her mother, sister, and brother could be anywhere in the country. Parvana knows she must find them. Despite her youth, Parvana sets out alone, masquerading as a boy. She soon meets other children who are victims of war -- an infant boy in a bombed-out vil ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Groundwood Books (first published July 23rd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Parvana's Journey, please sign up.
Joseline Mazariegos
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lacey Smith Still in Afghanistan but this time in Kabul.

Start your review of Parvana's Journey (The Breadwinner, #2)
Rebecca McNutt
The second book telling of a young girl living in Afghanistan during the control of the Taliban, Parvana's Journey is an incredible yet haunting novel of resilience and hope.
Anastasia シ
Oct 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, authors-e
i enjoyed this story, though at most points it was really sad. these three children had to live off the streets and had to be careful of the land mines placed everywhere
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've been reading this book off-and-on since school began. Sometimes I'm just not able to take the casual brutality being related. "Parvana's Journey" clearly illustrates the indifference of war.

I read "The Breadwinner" a few years ago because I was looking for something for my preAP students to read. I want them to learn more about what life is like outside of the United States; I want them to learn that life in the US is so easy so we ought not take it for granted.

Then I was told that parents
Karen  Hao
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Parvana's Journey is just like what the title says it's about ... Parvana's journey. The book talked about Parvana and her dad's long way from Kabul to find her mother and the rest of her family. During Parvana's journey, she is forced to face lots of questions. Problems like How will I get food? Where am I staying tonight? What if people recognized me as a girl? Are there Taliban's nearby? And most importantly, is this place safe? This book reminded me of another book called Kids of Kabul. It's ...more
Mary
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was the 1st book I read when I was in primary school and since then I realised I would read more books as I enjoyed reading this one.
Inoli
This is a continuation of The Breadwinner and the comments I made on that book apply equally to this book. The break in the story was well placed but I feel they both must be read as a single story. I think too much is left out if only one is read.

The author leaves the reader with a very pleasant occurrence in the middle of unpleasant things as she brings this part of the story to a close. I was still left with the feeling of a cliffhanger at the end but I know I may have to wait a long time for
Amalie
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found this book by chance and I loved it! It's the second book of a trilogy: "The Breadwinner," "Parvana's Journey," and "Three Cups of Tea" about children in war torn Afghanistan.

In this novel Parvana, her father has died and the family has scattered. Parvana is now 13 years old and she is determined to find her mother and siblings. She has disguised herself as a boy and travels alone, a dangerous thing to do because being a 13-year old it has begun to be more and more difficult to hide woma
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Journey

As a whole I hate journey stories because that is usually the whole story. In this case it is a journey that has a purpose, but there is no long term goal. Except to be in Pairs in 20 years.

Good, well researched book. Now on to the next book in the series.
Akash
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! The sequel to the breadwinner is equally as good. I look forward to reading the next one
Nora Wilcox
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
To call this book sad, scary, or hopeful feels right. This feels right, because Parvana the main character, goes through sad and scary events, such a when there was bombing near her house, but she still will keep her hope by singing out loud to herself. I like this confidence that Parvana has, it really makes me hope too, because even though they where starving she had strong hope. I couldn't relate to this book, but the words did make a clear picture in my mind. Also, the book made me cry at ti ...more
Evelyn
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book or survival love and sorrow. If you love a heart touching, life changing book of adventure then this book is right for you! Parvana is a young girl who is forced to dress up as a boy to get her family money. But when her family leaves and gets captured she sets out to find them.
Hunterh
this is a good book to read if you want to know about the war in Afghanistan
Abigail
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Read & Enjoyed 'The Breadwinner'
In this moving sequel to The Breadwinner , young Parvana sets out to find her mother and sisters, who disappeared shortly after the Taliban invaded the city where they were attending a family wedding. Disguised as a boy, she travels across the deeply scarred landscape of Afghanistan, enduring unimaginable hardship and sorrows. Forced to bury her father, she soon collects a menagerie of abandoned children around her, from infant Hassan to the injured Asif. But where can Parvana lead her new an ...more
Kathi
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Breadwinner ends hopefully, with most of Parvana’s family excitedly beginning their journey to Mazur-e-Sharif, where her older sister Nooria will marry. They are accompanied by a male family friend since Parvana’s father—who is suddenly deposited from prison in front of their bombed-out house with no explanation— is too ill to make the journey with the others. Parvana and her father are content to travel behind them slowly, but their hopeful trip disintegrates when they are told that the Tal ...more
Olivia Cole
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ane Liavaa
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was about how a girl named Parvana and how she is very sad because there was a dangerous attack in their village so, during the attack she got split up from her family and she coul not find them ever-since. So, one day this stranger which is a guy finds her and asks if they could take care of her until she finds her family. Meanwhile, Parvana is pretending to be a male because she doesn't know if she can trust this stranger so when the family takes her in, some random girl comes and wa ...more
Nadia Nazaruddin
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A sequel to The Breadwinner. Parvana continued her journey to search for her family after her dad died. Along the journey, she found so many things including her new siblings - Hassan, Leila and Asif. It's a very touching story of how a child managed to survived from the war. At her young age, she could think of how to live and continue to living. There were days she starved to the death and drank dirty water. When I read this, I felt pity to the Afghan people. They do no wrong but the world att ...more
Nuha Kabbani
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
War is ugly. The atrocity of the war and the suffering is something unbearable. In "Parvana's Journey" to find her family, the novel depicts the courage and willingness of a young girl against all ravages of war, deprivation and misery.

I read this book and "The Bread Winner" so I can find reading of another culture for my class. I am debating on whether it's appropriate for fifth grade or older.

I feel in the American Education we should familiarize younger generations with world's news and his
Jorge Rosas
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Desolate and desperate that is the situation of Parvana in this book, she tries to stay human and relate to other people she finds in her way, it’s mostly a lonely book but a grim one, we first meet a baby from a destroyed town then a boy in cave and then a lucky little girl who’s ending can be told from the very first time that we meet her. The war has come, an international one, and that brought even more despair and destruction to the country.
Nadya Ali
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this book for class in 7th grade.
Now older I realize even more how much this book means. Refugees still experience many of these dangerous journeys, and I think we don’t realize how horrifying it can be. So many children lost and fighting for their lives.

Always remember to give back, and appreciate what you do have. Keep countries like Yemen in your prayers and hope the Muslim communities strive to do better by their brothers and sisters in Islam. 🙏🏻
Audrey
Parvana's father was released from prison but not afterwards he ends up dying. The rest of Parvana's family is in another city and she decides to set off across the country to look for them. As she travels she meets up with other orphaned children and they become a sort of family to each other. It is dangerous to travel across a country riddled with land mines and falling bombs but eventually they reach a refugee camp.
Kelci
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Parvana's Journey is a wonderful book to read and understanding what it may be like to a child/teenager to go through such a horrible time of life, however it's a type of book that I read once and may never read again.
Isabella
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
great book: we read it in my literature circles
Ayacchi
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"I didn't create this world, I only have to live in it."

This is my favorite book from Breadwinner series (so far), and Asif is definitely my favorite character! At first he was so annoying, but once you knew him, he's totally TSUNDERE!! XD And he's someone you can rely on despite of his disability.
Chiara
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Handles boys with attitude.
Rain Misoa
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the first book and people willing to learn about life under the Taliban rule.
Recommended to Rain by: BookTube
A heart-wrenching read that all must read.

To read my full review, click here.
Saleem Boumaroun
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
definitely not a book for children...
Jackson Abells
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Morgan
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quarter-1
After reading The Breadwinner and loving it, I simply knew I had to read the sequel, Parvana's Journey. At the beginning of this second book, we learn that Parvana's father died on their restless journey to find Parvana's mother and sisters. Parvana, disguised as a boy, is left alone to travel across war torn Afghanistan in search of her family. Along the way, Parvana encounters Hassan, a newborn baby, Asif, a one-legged selfish boy, and Leila, a caring young girl who thinks she has special powe ...more
Jeff Thomson
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Parvana's Journey by, Deborah Ellis is a continuation of the parvana's trials. Parvana goes on a journey looking for her family and picks up a few friends along the way. Following Parvana through the barren landscape of the Taliban infested deserts of Afghanistan is almost to much to bear. This sequel makes hope look grim. The reader has no choice but to feel the pain that plagues Parvana.

I personally thought that this novel was a great sequal. I enjoyed reading this book and it did not take ver

• A Little Piece of Ground
  • Mondays Are Murder (Poppy Fields Mystery, #1)
  • The Last Word
  • Anxiety - The Seminar of Jacques Lacan | Book X
  • English is not easy
  • Edição Standard Brasileira das Obras Psicológicas Completas de Sigmund Freud Volume XX: Um Estudo Autobiográfico, Inibições, Sintomas e Ansiedade / Análise ... Trabalhos (1925-1926)
  • Wings to Fly
  • Glitter Girls and the Great Fake-Out (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #5)
  • Blast from the Past (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #6)
  • Stage Fright (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #4)
  • The New Girl (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #2)
  • Best Friends and Drama Queens (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #3)
  • Battle of the Beetles (The Battle of the Beetles, #3)
  • Good Morning Comrades
  • A Ilha Perdida
  • Countdown to Go Set a Watchman: A Celebration of To Kill a Mockingbird, Sampler
  • The Deep (Dive, #2)
  • The Discovery (Dive, #1)
Deborah Ellis has achieved international acclaim with her courageous and dramatic books that give Western readers a glimpse into the plight of children in developing countries.

She has won the Governor General's Award, Sweden's Peter Pan Prize, the Ruth Schwartz Award, the University of California's Middle East Book Award, the Jane Addams Children's Book Award and the Vicky Metcalf Award.

A long-t

The Breadwinner (4 books)
  • The Breadwinner (The Breadwinner, #1)
  • Mud City (The Breadwinner, #3)
  • My Name Is Parvana (The Breadwinner, #4)

News & Interviews

“A lazy brain does no one any good.” 4 likes
“I didn't create this world,” she said to herself. “I only have to live in it.” 2 likes