Start by marking “Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)” as Want to Read:
Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)

Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside #6)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  9,464 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews

Private Eye John Taylor is the only thing standing between his not-quite-human mother and the destruction of the magical realm within London known as the Nightside.

Published February 12th 2007 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published February 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth

Farnaz Ps
حضور اسطوره ها در دنیای مدرن وجه جالب این مجموعه ست
Jason
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2017
5 Stars

Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth by Simon R. Green is the sixth book in the Nightside series. Who would ever guess that 6 is the magic number as this is the best book in the series to date. These stories are classic noir like private eye mysteries in an urban fantasy setting. They are perfect for my interests today. I have been reading a lot of urban fantasy lately. Combine my new favorite genre with a detective noir like story and you have made me something special. I loved this book. I l
Ahmad Sharabiani
Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6), Simon R. Green (1955)
عنوان: نایت ساید جلد ششم: تیزتر از دندان مار؛ نویسنده: سیمون آر. گرین؛ مترجم: زهره حق بین؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، ویدا، چاپ نخست 1390، در 236 ص، اندازه 14 در 21 س.م، فروست: مجموعه نایت ساید، شابک جلد 6: 9789642912964؛ شابک دوره: 9789646807914؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 20 م
Catherine Ford
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
These books are pure genius! I absolutely love them! I really can't praise Simon R. Green enough for his Nightside series. Every single book so far has been amazing!
Behdad Ahmadi
جلد 6 نایت ساید. یه چیزی شدیدن من رو اذیت می کنه, و اون هم اینکه آنتاگونیست اصلی داستان, که اونقدر خوب بهش پرداخته میشه و داستانش ذره ذره موازی داستان هر جلد پیش رفته, توی این جلد تموم میشه و پرونده ش بسته میشه. انگار ولدمورت جلد 3 هری پاتر بمیره. یا دارث ویدر کبیر وسطای داستان پاش گیر کنه به یه چیزی, بیفته ضربه مغزی شه.

متن و خصوصیات داستان کاملن شکل و شیوه آپوکالیپتیک داره. آنتاگونیست میمیره, نصف قهرمان های داستان میمیرن, نایت ساید (جایی که تقریبا تمام مجموعه درش میگذره) با خاک یکسان میشه.

نویسن
Alondra
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, fantasy
4 Stars

Consistently good story, and so much fun. I admit that I kinda put this on the back-burner for 5 days; but sometimes you just have to stop reading and spend time with family.... they tend to complain.

Great fantasy series; short and sweet, with a lot of action. Lilith's (John's mother; keep up!) return from Limbo is still going on; with much death and destruction. We watch as John Taylor and Co. get their asses handed to them by Lilith and her brood. A lot of friends, foes, or just plain
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Hmm, yes. So the battle finally begins. And ends. John Taylor does many different things, and despite everyone's beliefs to the contrary, he never really seems to have any clue what he's doing. A lot of "great powers" go down very easily.

(view spoiler)
Alexander Draganov
Before I got this book, I was almost literally trembling with anticipation. I knew that the war with the mosntrous Lilith is in this one and I also know that SRG is a true master of epic battles - check "Deathstalker War", "Blue Moon Rising" and "Shadows Fall".
And I was not disappointed.
The books takes it time to gain momentum, but one the conflict starts, it is... well, sharper than a serpent's tooth. The horrible Lilith descends into the Nightside, determined to remake it in its own image, and
Maggie K
I always complain that these are too over the top, and this visit to the Nightside is probably the most over-the-top of all so far. I kept reading, knowing I would like it in the end, but there were a lottttt of eyerolls here for me.

However, the ending redeemed itself wonderfully! There was a good wrap up of the Lilith story arc, and it made good sense! So the more than satisfying ending edged it back up a bit, and I will eagerly eyeroll through the next book in the series!

Great, great, resoluti
Kathy Davie
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sixth in the Nightside dark urban fantasy series for young adults starring John Taylor as the most feared man in the Nightside…and it's always an adventurous ride with JT.

My Take
Oh man, the family reunion from hell!

It cracks me up everytime how freaked security people get when they realize it's "John 'Bloody' Taylor" and they turn and run for it! Another fun bit is the toys — cars, computers, etc. — that pop in from some future. Man, what I wouldn't give for JT's computers! Lust!!

Fascinating tur
Eric Moreno
Ryan Mueller
This series is a lot of fun to read. It's completely over-the-top, but I'm okay with that. This kind of short, action-packed story was exactly what I needed right now. I've been in a reading slump for the last month.

This book had me on the edge of my seat, especially toward the end. I had no idea how everything was going to come together in the end. When it did come together, I thought it was the perfect ending.

This also seems like a good stopping point for the series. There are obviously six mo
Matthew Goode Ⓥ
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed, though sometimes it just seemed some of the action was just to pull the plot along, and it felt like there were a number of ghosts in the machine. I think this is really my fault, as this is the first in the series that I have read, and it is number six(!), so I think it would work better having been more familiar with the previous work. Having said that, if you happen to pick it up for 20 cents at a library book sale, it's not too hard to get into the swing of things if no other book ...more
Suz
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, audio
It wasn't the strongest of the series so far, which was rather surprising given that the arc with his mother was apparently concluded.

It's kind of cute watching the way John and Suzi are slowly moving forward, too. I did like meeting John's father and seeing different sides to recurring characters.

Still in all, I have come to enjoy these books and am looking forward to starting Hell to Pay.

Ed Nemo
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I liked this book possibly more than any of the others before it. We got to see a lot of fantastic characters and we get a resolution to the two primary issues that have haunted John Taylor. Namely, his future enemies and his mother.
AmirHosein
کتاب خوبی بود..
حالا نمی دانم نویسنده برای جلد های بعدی چه چیزی در چنته دارد!
Graylark
Excellent climax to the series. Great pacing and some lovely poignancy at certain points.
Stan
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Nightside! and the long awaited battle between son and mother!!! who could ask for anything more
Garrett Seney
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a great story and probably the second best Nightside book so far!!
Gareth Otton
Hypocrites, paradoxes, inconsistencies and idiots. This is just a small list of some of the ridiculous elements and characters in this book that made the story spiral out of the author's control and become a jumbled mess of concepts and story arcs that were really difficult to read.

If you treat and hunt someone like a monster, they will become a monster. This is the key concept that this whole series seems to be missing. Everyone treats John like a monster even though he has proved time and time
Kat  Hooper
May 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
In Sharper Than a Serpent’s Tooth, the sixth novel in Simon R. Green’s NIGHTSIDE series, John Taylor and Suzie Shooter have just returned from the past where they discovered the origin of John’s mother, Lilith, and witnessed the birth of the Nightside. Now that they’re back in the present, they are determined to stop Lilith from destroying what she created and remaking the Nightside in her own image.

First they must rescue John’s secretary, Cathy, who has been kidnapped. Then John wants to raise
Patrick D'Orazio
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't go into this book expecting the noirish detective John Taylor to be back to solving cases in the Nightside. Instead it is time to face down Lilith that the previous book Paths Not Taken (Nightside, Book 5), was leading up to.
This part of the series is necessary because we have known since day one that it was coming. The gangs all here, all the characters that have survived up to this point show up at one point or another. Lilith, who we have known now since Hex and the City (Nightside, Bo
The Flooze
It's been years since I read anything in the Nightside, but that doesn't seem to matter. It was all too easy to slink back into the devious, topsy-turvy world John Taylor inhabits. And though the Nightside itself is complicated and filled with horror, it was simple to want him to succeed in saving it.

Green's habit of repeating things is why I stepped back for a while. This series is probably best read with time between installments so the reminders of who, what, when don't seem so unnecessary. F
Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
First of all,let me say that you absolutely MUST read the Nightside series in order or you're going to be incredibly LOST by the time you get to this one. To me, each book in the series was worth waiting for, and I looked forward to each new release as much as I look forward to each new installment of the Harry Potter series. I absolutely love the Nightside books and they started me on the whole steampunk/fantasy/sci-fi road of books that I had never read before I picked up the first of the Nigh ...more
Chris
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Oh good, I don't have to find Simon and kill him.

As I mentioned in the other reviews, the Nightside series has been coming to a head. There's blood and carnage and betrayal, and the end of the world is most definitely nigh. I was worried that I would have to find some way to buy the book that's coming out this month if I wanted to find out how the story ended. It was pretty clear that the arc would end either in this book or the next one, and I was seriously hoping it would be this one.

And it is
Isabel (kittiwake)
Just another day on the Street of the Gods, then- until dead angels began dropping out of the night sky. They fell gracelessly and landed hard, with broken wings and stupid, startled faces, like birds who have flown into the windows of high-rise buildings. They lay on the ground, not moving, creatures of light and darkness, like a child’s discarded toys. Everyone regarded the dead angels with awe and some timidity. And then they looked up, the worshippers and the worshipped, to see a greater dar ...more
Cherie
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
As usual John Taylor is fighting against the odds, this time against his month Lilith to save the entire Nightside. THE Lilith. Impossibly powerful, unstoppable, and completely set on remaking both the Nightside and our world into a world of her choosing.

There are some criticisms that Taylor will sacrifice anyone, foe or ally, to achieve his goals. I can see that as a valid interpretation, however, he has good reason to use any tool at his disposal to try and stop Lilith. It's war, and in war th
Kristin
Apr 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This was not my favorite Nightside book to date.

I think I was unsettled because a wonderful and interesting world had been created, and now, due to one character (Lilith) all the unique charms of the city and many of its denizens were in essence, destroyed. Upon reflection, for those readers who remember the Thieves World series, it was reminiscent of that. (For those who don't remember or never read, Thieves World was a multi-authored series in one setting where things got a bit out of hand an
Neil
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth is the climax to the Lilith War storyline, tidying up the loose ends that have resulted from John Taylor discovering who his mother is, why his capital-E Enemies have been out to get him, and whether the Nightside and the world will end in ruin -- all just another day in the Nightside.

As happens in some urban-fantasyesq series, there's an escalation of power in this book that makes me wonder how the rest of the series will deal with the elevation of the protagonist
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 6th book in the Nightside series. All I can say is "wow" this was a good book.

Lilith has returned to the Nightside and it is up to John Taylor to stop her from destroying first the Nightside and then the world. The only problem is John knows that a future exists in which the whole world is destroyed and that future is getting more and more certain by the day. How will John oppose Lilith without destroying the world in the process?

For such a slim novel, there was a lot in this book. A
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • Madhouse (Cal Leandros, #3)
  • Dancing on the Head of a Pin (Remy Chandler, #2)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • New Tricks (Dog Days, #2)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • Vanished (Greywalker, #4)
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...

Nightside (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)
  • Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2)
  • Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3)
  • Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)
  • Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)
  • Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7)
  • The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8)
  • Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, #9)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)
  • A Hard Day's Knight (Nightside, #11)
“dropped in from a possible future via a Timeslip, and was currently trying to mend his left leg with a pair of pliers and a sonic screwdriver someone had left behind in the bar. I” 0 likes