Start by marking “Gotta Keep on Tryin': A Novel” as Want to Read:
Gotta Keep on Tryin': A Novel

Gotta Keep on Tryin': A Novel

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  421 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews

A Heartwarming Tale of How True Friendship Can Overcome Life's Obstacles

Gayle Saunders and Patricia Reid have been lifelong friends, as close as sisters. When they were teens their dreams led them down separate paths and away from each other. But they reunited as adults, drawn back together by a bond of friendship that stood the test of time.

Now Pat and Gayle co-own the

Published January 8th 2008 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Gotta Keep on Tryin', please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gotta Keep on Tryin'

Mahoghani 23
True friendship has its uphill battles just like relationships. The value of the friendship is what makes the friendship worth having. There are things that you'll tell your friend than you wouldn't tell your husband or significant other. This story and the characters portrayed can emulate ourselves or people we know.

Take Gayle; she's insecure, struggling with her daughter, suffered a bad marriage and struggling to make it day-to-day. Even within her weaknesses, she's a strong woman. She's push
Shawnette
A Worthy Sequel

This novel is definitely well worth the 10 year wait! I thoroughly enjoyed playing catch-up with Gayle, Pat & Marcus. DeBerry and Grant allows us to revisit with the best friends turned successful business partners. We also get a peek at Pat and Marcus' marriage, which has more or less just become a comfortable co-existence, as they have ceased being the loving, "happily married" couple. And Vanessa has definitely grown up with a chip on her shoulder and the all too familiar a
Allyn Reid
Feb 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emotionally riveting.
Shannan Harper
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A continuation about friendship. This is the second book in the series, and I felt it was just as good as the first one. The authors do a great job showing you how the characters evolve and grow as well as how their writing has grown. Patricia Reid and Gayle Saunders are working hard on their new company, with Gayle also raising a teenage daughter (My Lord, that Child). Marcus now travels scouting for new sports talent and has a sports management agency. There were a lot of things that happened ...more
Robyn
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These authors know how to work a story and keep the reader entertained. Not just a Goodread but a Greatread!
Ari
Jun 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
IQ "She knew it wasn't subtle, gentle, or coddling. But their best-friendship wasn't like that-never had been, no point going there now. [...] Their friendship had been to hell and back again and they loved each other like blood. They just weren't pink hearts and pinky swears BFFs." 211

The authors really know how to capture your attention. I was fully invested in the story even if I felt like it was doing the most at times. It tackles a lot of issues people face but I think the variety of issues
OOSA
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of these authors
Hope Those Sheets Fit

Although it's been a really long time since I put `Tryin' To Sleep In The Bed You Made,' down, even then I knew, like Michael Jordan to basketball and Jay Z with rap, we hadn't heard the last from Patricia Reid and Gayle Saunders, whose friendship solidifies what it truly means to have a friend.

With Pat's watchful eye and Gayle's creativity, the Ell & Me company has blossomed. More than an idea, a book, or a thought, it's now hitting the shelves in the toy department.
Toni
Jan 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I had no idea this was a sequel or spin-off of Tryin' to Sleep in the Bed You Made. I read it so long ago that I don't remember the plot or the people involved. (I read so much that, for some reason, I only remember books that I hate. So if I can't remember key plot points - that's a good thing.) If you haven't read the first one or can't remember it, no worries, this book stands well on its own.

Gayle Saunders & Patricia Reid are childhood friends who, now as adults, start and run a successf
Debbie
Sep 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Debbie by: A fellow doll collector
I read this book at the suggestion of a fellow doll collector. The backdrop of the main two characters' Ell and Me doll business piqued my interest. Gayle and Pat have been lifelong friends. They form a doll company inspired by Gayle's teenage daughter Vanessa, who could care less about the business or about her mother’s feelings. Gayle, a single parent, is troubled by her self-centered daughter’s rebellious nature and other issues. She copes with her troubles in a rather unhealthy manner.

Gayle'
Shannon
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girlfriends
These two authors write beautifully together. Their first book, Trying to sleep in the bed you made was AWESOME! Now this book picks up from the first and readers find out what actually happened to Gail & Pat.

The story line deals with family, friendships, love, adultry, children, careers and all the messy little things we deal with everyday. It also deals with something else equally important...eating disorders.

I would recommend reading the first book just so you will have background knowle
Tracie Momie
Apr 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who read Tryin to Sleep in the Bed You Made
First, let me say, I had no idea this was a sequel to Trying to Sleep in the Bed You Made! Ha ha!

No wonder the entire time I felt like I had missed something. Now I have to go back and read the prequel before I can give a fair review of this book.

The story seemed a bit rushed. . .don't get me wrong there was a lot of stuff that took place, I think it spanned five years but it sped through the years and I didn't get the whole thing with the suicide/murder of the police detective.

I don't think thi
Ruth
Apr 17, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is why Oprah stoped having book choices for a while...she said no one is writing anything good. This is what she is referring to. This is a great example of how too much foreshadowing can ruin a story. I felt like the authors thought I was stupid. The biggest question I'm left with is why I read the whole thing? It was mind candy for when a vacation read is too intellectually demanding. Please don't read this.
Carolyn Alleyne
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It is one of the best sequels I've read in a long time. It picked right back up from where the first one left off so i felt like I became more interested in the characters and what became of them. I like how the writers fleshed out their flaws but also showed the hope for their futures as they rose above everything that happened in their pasts.
MaryAnn
Oct 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Other Adults
M Landry
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A worthy sequel to the first book. The writing is exceptional. There are ends left loose at the book's end that has me ready to read about where Gayle and Pat end up next. The authors have me amped for more!
Romona
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wonderful
OH, MY GOD I WAS SO EXCITED TO SEE THE RETURN OF PAT, GAYLE AND MARCUS, THIS WAS A GREAT RETURN KEEP ME IN THE BOOK FROM START TO FINISH FELT LIKE A REUNION WITH OLD FRIENDS, I HOPE THAT THERE WILL BE ANOTHER TO THIS SERIES. I HATED WHEN I GOT TO THE END AND IT WAS OVER.
Dana "DWJ"
First of all, how did I not realize this was a sequel to "Tryin' to Sleep In the Bed You Made" ?! I needed to read that again to remember where the hell it left off. This was kind of anti-climatic but a quick read.
Katie Brown-Henry
I read this book for a book discussion group and really enjoyed it. The main characters are long time best friends and it is a story of friendship and supporting one another during difficult times. It was very good.
Efundunke
Jul 21, 2011 rated it liked it
If only I knew that I was reading a sequel:). The book was still good. Far From the Tree is still my favorite even though this is just my second read from the two authors. Picking up the pieces of everyday life...how can you not want to read?
Tapley
I only got through about first 50 pages of this book. I don't think it was terrible, but I didn't find either of the main characters to be particularly sympathetic, and a story of soldiering on in the face of life's cruel ups and downs just doesn't interest me.
Jeanette
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love these two authors! Very easy reads with great, believable characters.
Tia
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was not happy at all with this book. The prequel was soooo much better. I had to force myself to finish it.
Jaycie
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it was a just for fun read that I read a few years back, and was reminiscent of a sex in the city type storyline...
Yvette
Oct 03, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing. That some books could be rather boring with little or no substance and confusing story line
KaTrina
I really enjoyed this book. It shows true friends can weather any storm.
Erin
May 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had this book on my shelf for a long time. I didnt really think I would like it, but it was a great read!
Laura |
It was ok. I don't know if I would have liked it better had I read the prequel, but I'm guessing not really. It wasn't a bad story, just not a great one either.
Rhonda McKnight
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, excellent, excellent.
Tee Morris
Enjoyed this sequel. It takes a deeper look into relationships and their challenges and the decisions that people have to make every day.
Jenene
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Hope we don't have to wait another 10 years for a sequel!! This pair of authors are amazing and never disappoint!
  • Sweet Georgia Brown
  • Baby Brother's Blues (West End, #3)
  • Holy Ghost Corner
  • Sisters & Husbands
  • You Know Better: A Novel
  • Mama Dearest
  • Can I Get a Witness?
  • Satin Nights
  • Would I Lie to You? (Nappily, #2)
  • A Deep Dark Secret
  • Something Old, Something New (Blessings, #3)
  • In My Bedroom
  • Don't Want No Sugar
  • Goodness and Mercy (Blessed Trinity)
  • Redemption Song
  • Friday Night at Honeybee's

We are best friends who’ve been co-writing women’s fiction for twenty of our twenty seven years of friendship. Uptown is our seventh novel. For more information about who we are, what we do and/or to read an excerpt of Uptown please visit deberryandgrant.com. We can also be found online at: Twomindsfull.blogspot.com, Twitter.com/deberryandgrant, Facebook.com/deberryandgrant.
More about Virginia DeBerry...