Start by marking “Outwitting Squirrels: 101 Cunning Stratagems to Reduce Dramatically the Egregious Misappropriation of Seed from Your Birdfeeder by Squirrels” as Want to Read:

This book illustrates and explains a series of strategems to keep squirrels from eating and ruining yards and gardens when more traditional tactics fail.
Published September 1st 1996 by Chicago Review Press (first published September 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Outwitting Squirrels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outwitting Squirrels

Start your review of Outwitting Squirrels: 101 Cunning Stratagems to Reduce Dramatically the Egregious Misappropriation of Seed from Your Birdfeeder by Squirrels
Melki
Feb 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't even have to get up and check. He's there right now. I know it.

The Grey Menace.

Tilting my bird feeders, pouring the seed into his gullet with all the gusto of a frat boy suckin' on a beer bong.

It's not that I begrudge him the food. It's just that when he's there...the birds are not. Plus, he and his ilk have chewed holes in countless feeders, and sheared the little plastic perches off of many others.

This book was entertaining and informative, though ultimately, not very helpful. There
Carol
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: nature lovers, anyone with squirrel woes
This is the third time I’ve read this book and though there is always something new that I learn from it, it never really solves my squirrel wars.

My husband and I have been pretty successful keeping our furry friends out of our bird feeders. He made a great baffle that sits below the feeder which twists and flops and keeps the squirrels from climbing to the feeder. No other trees are close enough for them to jump (very important) and the only time we have to worry is when we get a bountiful sno
VeganMedusa
Nov 15, 2011 marked it as wishlist
Shelves: favorites
Not a book I'm ever going to read (no squirrels in NZ) but can I still put it in my favourites just for the title?
Nina
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Every Christmas we go to see my grandparents and every Christmas there's no one there my age, so usually I just hole up in a corner and find something to do to wait for dinner. This year I grabbed this copy because it was either that or Great Expectations (apologies to Charles Dickens).

How effective is this book? No clue. I'm not a bird feeder and I don't have any particular hatred for squirrels (my grandmother does, though - I've never seen fatter squirrels than at her place).

BUT this book is h
Mandy
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This author came up with some very creative and intelligent solutions to out-smart the persistent squirrels.
Janet
I’m not entirely sure why I picked up this book. I’m not a gardener, or a birdwatcher, or a squirrel-disliker. And yet, it was interesting in an abstract sort of way. Adler’s sense of fun doesn’t take away from the usefulness of his advice, except for some of the more far-fetched “stratagems.” Please don’t contact the government and ask to buy one of their missiles.
Meg
Apr 01, 2010 rated it liked it
I don't like squirrels and I don't find them cute, in fact most of my squirrely experiences end with "and then the squirrel threw something at me," or, "it tried to bite my foot," and other such gems. I guess I was hoping for a little more anti squirrel sentiment. Admittedly, I don't feed birds, I read this book just for the squirrel tips.
Richard
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Richard by: Diane & Peter
This book is an odd hybrid of helpful facts about feeding wild birds and helpful/anecdotal information about outwitting squirrels. You won't want to read every word but there is something useful and amusing for everyone.
Scott Summerton
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: texts, humour, animals
A silly Christmas gift yet oh so relevant to me, Outwitting Squirrels is downright hilarious. Though the book tackles the subject from the perspective of saving your birdfeeders and the seed within from squirrels, the overall idea has merit that was pertinent to me due to my history with squirrels literally damaging part of my roof in multiple years. The fact that the book opens with the declaration of war I felt so strongly in my own experience let me know this was on the right path, and also g ...more
Jennifer S
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Although I’m not a bird-feeder, at whom this book is aimed, I did enjoy the opening chapters where Adler describes his fruitless battle against the squirrels who are stealing his birdseed. Factual chapters on birds and squirrels were less interesting but I liked the descriptions and ratings of a wide variety of feeders. If I were someone with backyard feeders, this would be a fun read.
David Oliver
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Not quite so much fun as the title promised. It is amusingly written with lots of information on birds and squirrels, in the States. By far the biggest section (43 pages) though is an evaluation of bird feeders. The 101 strategems of the subtitle are confined to a jokey list.
Lisa
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
As an avid bird watcher, I get annoyed at squirrels attacking our feeders. So many squirrel stories I could tell. However, as my husband and I read this book together, I found myself plotting ways to block these creatures. We had a few laughs too.
Eric
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, but squirrels almost always seem to win.
Clark
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of facts about squirrels. Lots of humor. Some about birds and bird seed. What bird eats what seed. Rates a lot of bird feeders. That was handy.
Jodi Tooke
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute but not really helpful. Nice to know others struggle with squirrels.
Margie
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting, informative and sometimes hilarious. I would have liked more photos of the various bird feeders.
Syann
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the anti-pigeon propaganda, it was a very fun read.
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Being an avid birder my whole life, I didn't find much "new information" about squirrels... perhaps a good read for novices?
Karen-Leigh
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
I love squirrels and this book is all about foiling them and getting rid of them. At the same time it is written with humour and some sneaking affection.
Nancy
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A fun introduction to enjoying feeding backyard birds without having squirrels gorge on all the food.
Sara Snarr
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Nothing profound but good for a laugh and lots of tips on dealing with obnoxious squirrels.
Nick
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
To be clear I LOVE squirrels. I in know way want to thwart, dissuade, repel or even avoid them. I just stumbled across this at the library and thought it might be a little fun and entertaining- it was. The first chapter was probably the funniest I’ve ever read. The rest of the book is a little dated. Also, I don’t have bird feeders so I skipped the descriptions of the different feeders. When my mom had to stay in a rehab facility after a fall, I did get a bird feeder for outside of her window... ...more
Pat Cummings
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
After hearing the promotional interview with the author on a radio gardening program, I expected to enjoy Bill Adler's Outwitting Squirrels: 101 Cunning Stratagems to Reduce Dramatically the Egregious Misappropriation of Seed from Your Birdfeeder , a humorous treatise on defending bird feeders from "furry-tailed rats". I bought it that same day for my Kindle.

Unfortunately, I soon learned that most of the funny bits from the book had been read aloud on air by Bob Tanem, host of KSFO's In t
Kate
"Birdloving Americans face a common enemy: the squirrel. This fast, crafty, incredibly greedy creature casts our pleasures to the wind, brings his buddies to lunch, and pillages our birdfeeders before our very eyes!

"Here, at last, is the answer. Outwitting Squirrels is a defense manual for besieged feeders of birds. Spooker poles, Perrier bottles, baffled fishing line, Vaseline, water bombs, cayenne pepper, and Nixalite -- author Bill Adler Jr. has tried them all (well, nearly all). In addition
Pat Cummings
I expected to enjoy Bill Adler's humorous treatise on defending bird feeders from "furry-tailed rats", based on snippets from the third edition of "Outwitting Squirrels" that were shared recently in a radio gardening program, so I bought it that same day for my Kindle. Unfortunately, I discovered that most of the funny parts of the book were read aloud on air by Bob Tanem, host of KSFO's "In the Garden", or shared by the author during that interview. The rest of the book is extremely dry, and mo ...more
Justine Olawsky
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
A funny book, especially in the first chapter where Mr. Adler details his escalating war against squirrels in his early days of bird-watching and feeding. You can sense his grudging admiration for a worthy foe. I loved the chapter on various types of backyard birds; you can tell that Mr. Adler takes great pleasure in the birds and their ways. The whole chapter devoted to the feast and famine cycle of pecan trees was interesting, but rather out of left field. The chapter on the various types of b ...more
Lynn
Jul 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this book. The title and summary led me to believe I would be getting advice, even possibly funny advice, on dealing with squirrels and birdfeeders. Most of the book was a discussion of birds and feeders and much of the advice was repeated several times in the book. Don't put your feeder near the trees, clean-up moldy bird seed quickly after a rain, etc. There were a few good squirrel stories and some interesting squirrel facts but overall not what I was expecting.
Kirsten
Nov 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned
Rather dated book with a deceptive title. At the end there was a list of 101 cunning things like 'hire a lawyer". The rest of the book tries to describe flaws of bird feeders in repelling squirrels using: attempts at humorous anecdotes, long winded descriptions of types of feeders (most without even a helpful photo), and ways to deal with squirrels based on a dated? "scientific" analysis of the species.
Erica
Not particularly helpful for getting squirrels out of my garden beds, but includes quite a few fun facts. Fine for a quick read while under the weather and between more brain-intensive books. Tone was a little over-cheeky, like the author was constantly winking at my in a dad-like, "Get it? Get it?" sort of way.
Christina
Didn't finish it, but it's a sort of reference book that you can pick up as needed. Entertaining, light tone and I actually did learn useful things about birdwatching and a bit about deterring squirrels.

• Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead
  • How the Light Gets In
  • The Printed Letter Bookshop
  • The Pale Horse
  • The X-Files: Season 10 #13
  • Thames: Sacred River
  • The Table Comes First: Family, France, and the Meaning of Food
  • The Book of You
  • Callahan's Lady (Lady Sally's #1, Callahan's #4)
  • A Feminist Dictionary
  • Tender Is the Tyrant
  • Dear Puritan
  • The Cazalet Bride
  • Death in the Pot: The Impact of Food Poisoning on History
  • Enchantment
  • Deception Cove (Neah Bay, #1)
  • The Guillotine and the Terror
  • Marilla of Green Gables
Bill Adler Jr. is an American writer living in Tokyo.

He's the author of Outwitting Squirrels (The Wall Street Journal: "A masterpiece"; Boing Boing: "One of the funniest books I've ever read"), Boys and Their Toys: Understanding Men by Understanding Their Relations With Gadgets, Tell Me a Fairy Tale: A Parent's Guide to Telling Mythical and Magical Stories, and No Time to Say Goodbye, a time trav