Start by marking “Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition” as Want to Read:

(A Mike Cohn Signature Book)

The Provocative and Practical Guide to Coaching Agile Teams
As an agile coach, you can help project teams become outstanding at agile, creating products that make them proud and helping organizations reap the powerful benefits of teams that deliver both innovation and excellence. More and more frequently, ScrumMasters and project managers are being asked to coach agile te
Published May 18th 2010 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published May 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Coaching Agile Teams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coaching Agile Teams

Start your review of Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
Vít Kotačka
If you are the right target, then this book is truly excellent. But this evaluation has a very important precondition, which you can find in the title - this book is about coaching.

If you are a technical leader, team leader, developer, scrum master, or any other software engineering role, then this book could be interesting for you, but you wouldn't probably consider it as a gem. It can teach you something, you can learn something and definitely, you will have better understanding in which conte
Leonard Gaya
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a very nice book on group coaching and team building. In my opinion, it is not so much about Scrum or XP methodology: the reader is supposed to already be familiar with the agile approach (applied to software development or otherwise). The coach is described in his/her many faceted role: mentor, facilitator, teacher, problem solver, conflict navigator, collaboration conductor... However, the key takeaway, for me, is that an agile coach and a leader is someone who allows the teams to unfo ...more
Emanuil Ivanov
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An absolute MUST for everyone working with teams (not just agile ones). Lyssa Adkins offers great insights on group dynamics and provides various tools, techniques and a general mindset change one needs when working in today’s ever-changing environment.
Flavius
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: consulting
It offers a broad view of the various hats you need to put on as a coach. Sometimes you are a mentor, sometimes teacher or facilitator, or maybe you are solving problems with and enabling collaboration within the team. You might be working with the entire team, or maybe just with one team member. It also provides advice on how to deal with Product Owners and team sponsors.

No matter the hat, you should always trust the team and take every issue to them. These are the two ideas I felt more pregnan
Kiryl Baranoshnik
I acknowledge the significance of the book for the time of its publishing, but I find it largely lacking substance. There's very little practical information. It's mostly just expression of common sense backed up with the Agile paradigm. I also have a strong feeling the book was bloated by the publisher to be more voluminous (because "pages sell"). Many chapters could've been easily boiled down to a bulleted list without losing much meaning.

It is probably a good entry level booked, but for an ex
Wes Baker
Jun 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was worth reading, but I'm not sure the whole thing was worth reading. At times, it seemed that the author had a quota to fill and at other times that she truly cared about a subject and just let the ideas flow. It's this strange mix of loquaciousness and clarity that makes this book both hard to finish and hard to recommend. If you have the time and truly care about the subject, it's worth a read. If you're just starting, it might be worth holding off for a while.
Vahe Torozyan
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
A boring book, some ideas are interesting but overall didn't like it.
Katlu
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting ideas, combining the agile with sometimes more, sometimes less of systemic coaching. True to the ideal of servant leadership, the author emphasizes time and time again that competence lies within the team and the agile coach is just that - a coach. A coach's main goal should be to enable the team to self-organize, so the bulk of tips are about how not to interfere with the team (e.g., if they miss standup time, do not summon them to the daily standup).

Those who are looking for a lot
Andrius Zygmanta
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership, agile
Good and deep and book on coaching self & teams to become high-performers. This is ultimate go-to reference for agile coaching with detailed examples, techniques and tips.

------------------- PERSONAL NOTES ---------------------

Healthy agile team works together in high-bandwidth, high-quality communication

Healthy agile teams experience peer pressure. On these teams, all team members have committed to complete the work of the sprint together. This makes the work (and the people) interdependent an
Roel Trienekens
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Decided to revisit this one as a refresher. Even after having read it years ago, it still reminded me with plenty of hooks to be more conscious of my coaching, my stances and approach.

Must read if you want to become an agile coach and help agile teams improve.
Laura Lungu
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-read
I liked the holistic perspective and all the ideas presented.
Sicofonia
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book covers a wide variety of topics, from how to develop individually as coach to coaching teams in Agile principles and practices. It also talks about the different "modes" for an Agile coach, that is teacher, mentor and coach. And how to apply those depending on which stage of Agile understanding a team has reached. There is plenty of good references in this book as well, source material that I guess served as inspiration to Lyssa Adkins. Maybe the book doesn't go too deep in terms of exp ...more
Reset
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Useful not only for scrum masters and agile coaches, but for anyone involved in an agile project:

"Expecting high performance means that you believe the team can attain it, so you hold them, compassionately and firmly, to that expectation. By believing, you urge them to strive for a vision of what they can become together. They get called forth to be more than they are now. This propels them forward sprint after sprint and release after release. All along the way, they touch moments of greatness
Evgen Schekotihin
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The main question is: What you where expected from this book?
If you want to find answers to question "Why ... ? And should i go there?", you will not find it there. You need to believe in Agile.
If you decided to go and searching information about "Where and How ... ?", this book will show the road and vehicle which is possible to use for riding on it. But this book will not teach 100% how to drive on all of it. Maybe a little about coaching, something about conflicts, a drop of powerful question
Krzysztof
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's that book that tells you what an agile coach does. I honestly recommend it to everyone who is interested in becoming an Agile Coach, Scrum Master, or who want to include a people oriented management style in their projects or teams. The book helps to get started with your self development path, giving some good practices and ideas for start and an helping you plan your journey further.

It's written in a reader friendly style, offers a lot of examples and cases that help you reflect on the p
Katarzyna Sikora-Smets
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: learning
I wish I had read it earlier! This book gives a lot of practical advice and a lot of ideas. It is based on Scrum, which the author states in the beginning, but most of the content is universally applicable. There are certain aspects I do not identify with, however, the book does not condemn you for having different ideas, you are often reminded that it is a description of the author's experience, not an instruction to be followed to the letter. Take it as such, and use it to grow yourself.
Bryan Jacobson
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was recommended by my outstanding Agile Coach, Chester Jackson. I totally love it. The book captures the heart and sole of Scrum Master, Agile Coach and servant leadership - and is packed with practical examples and tools to get you there.

If you are a Scrum Master or Agile Coach, get this book and read it. You'll love it enough to re-read it. I read at least a couple pages every day!
Peter Vozhdai
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management
Great book. Provides very useful insights on different aspect of coaching(styles, tools, actions) in Agile environment as well as in every day working life. Suggested ideas can be taken into practical use.
Concentrated primary on coaching, so one with intend to get more about Agile itself might want to look at something else.
The book is well structured and easy to follow. Good usage of graphical material.
Jefim Piekarz
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The “Bible” for Agile Coaching

Fantastic read, even as an experienced coach. Lyssa does a wonderful job walking you through the role of an Agile Coach - the key skills, concepts, ideas, and finishes it off with some very relevant journeys. If you’re an Agile Coach or looking to become one, read this book!
Abu Nasar
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book with a new perspective on teams and coaching

This is an amazing book on agile coaching. I still need to come to terms with the fact to let the team be. It really advocates a decontrolled team environment. There are tools and several guidance given. The idea of creating a void so that the team can fill it is amazing.
Zoltán Dósa
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my "The Book" as a Scrum Master/Agile Coach. It is all about mindset, techiques, tools that should be around.
You read a lot about in Medium articles "The Coaching Arc how Lyssa Adkins describes it" or the "Coaching Metaphores how Lyssa Adkins describes it" or the conflict handling framework, or the Coaching Competency Framework... It is all here. Go and read it.
Al
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: agile
Lyssa Adkins defines the foundational path of learning how to better serve our teams and to help them find their improvements. Every time I read this book I learn more about how to better coach my teams. It has become my routine to re-read every couple of years. Cannot express enough how transformational this book has been for me.
Jordan Munn
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Despite not having a formal coach in my office, I found this book to serve as a bit of one anyway. I really enjoyed its perspectives on different Agile processes and participants, and reference it regularly as I encounter different situations at work.
Nikolay
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book with a lot of practical advises and references to other sources. Book is well organized and consistent in terms of provided information and ideas. I'd recommend it to Scrum Masters, Project Managers and any leader working in agile environment.
Courtney
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of great wisdom for coaching agile teams. Many chapters were recounts of research from the EQ arena that I have previously read. I enjoyed the wisdom on guiding teams to answers rather than telling them what to do. Overall must read any agile coach or scrum master.
Francisco
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best book for agile coach

This book is a great book, aboarding very important topics that served to Agile Coach to become good Agile Proffesionals and give value for the companies. It takes diferents kinds of coaching, conflict resolution tools and principles of agile to implement into de tems from a very good practical view point.
Ken
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great examples in this book!
Stacie
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has become my go-to for direction and guidance on agile coaching.
Tiago Palhoto
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book on how to REALLY coach everyone involved with Agile. A lot of material and sometimes a bit more though to digest, but a great reading!
Andrey
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
good ideas but number of pages must be less
« previous 1 3 next »

• Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • Agile Coaching
  • The Scrum Field Guide: Practical Advice for Your First Year
  • Agile Project Management with Scrum
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • Co-Active Coaching: Changing Business, Transforming Lives
  • Scrum and XP from the Trenches
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

A Mike Cohn Signature Book (9 books)
  • The Scrum Field Guide: Practical Advice for Your First Year
  • Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process
  • Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love
  • Large-Scale Scrum: Scaling Agile for Large & Multisite Development

News & Interviews

“We practice mastering ourselves in the moment so that we can better open ourselves to being a servant leader and to harness our emotions and choose what to do with our reactions.” 4 likes
“Over-seriousness is a warning sign for mediocrity and bureaucratic thinking. People who are seriously committed to mastery and high performance are secure enough to lighten up. —Michael J. Gelb” 3 likes