Start by marking “Sense & Sensibility” as Want to Read:
Sense & Sensibility

Sense & Sensibility

(Jane Austen: Marvel Adaptations)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  1,973 Ratings  ·  220 Reviews
Award-winning writer Nancy Butler, adapter of Marvel's best-selling adaptation of PRIDE & PREJUDICE, returns to Marvel with another Jane Austen classic: SENSE & SENSIBILITY! Alongside incredible artist Sonny Liew (MY FAITH IN FRANKIE, WONDERLAND), Butler brings to life the world of Elinor and Marianne Dashwood, two daughters without parents or means, forced to expe ...more
Published November 17th 2010 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Sense & Sensibility, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sense & Sensibility

Anne
Don't want to read Sense and Sensibility?
Or maybe, like me, just don't want to read it again?
But you still want to feel like you're getting your occasional dose a classic, don't you?
Well, lazy friends, there's now another option...
The Graphic Novel Version.
*ring ring*
Hello? Who is it?
The Answer To Your Prayers, baby!

That's right, for the low low investment of a few hours time, you can get all the experience of classic literature, minus all the mind-numbing detail that makes it such a chore* to r
emma
graphic novel binge read, installment 3: Okay, This Was Misguided, I Can Admit That

Jane Austen is my favorite author, and Sense & Sensibility is my least favorite of her books.

it's just, like, so eh. i like Elinor, but not Marianne. Colonel Brandon and Edward Ferrars are SO BORING. i would've liked it more if there was more of a sisterly emphasis. i just feel like everyone settled in the book and It Sucked. i love in Austen stuff when everything unrealistically and unforeseeably and perfectl
EZRead eBookstore
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jenifer-reviews
I was blown out of my swivel chair by “Sense and Sensibility”, the Marvel graphic novel. The thing is just adorable. It’s done in pinks and pastels and tasteful little doll-like characters that warmed up my heart like a toaster. For any fan of the book, or for any person with a beating heart, this book is a must-impulse-buy. It’s an excellent adaptation that is surprisingly thorough by Nancy Butler, and so much money in the bank for artist Sonny Liew.

Seriously, Sonny Liew’s artwork makes the ent
Andy
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Diese Graphic Novel ist eine perfekte Ergänzung zum Roman. Die Illustrationen sind einfach nur süß, eine Empfehlung für alle Jane Austen Fans.
Sarah83 L
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
So eine süße Adaption von einem wirklichen Klassiker. Auch wenn mich manche Zeichnungen, auf Grund der Kopfgrößen ein wenig irritiert haben, war es über alles eine sehr gelungene Umsetzung. 😍
Becca
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-shelf
My comic book obsessed brother gave this to me as a gift because he wanted me to read comics with him and knew this was the only way to get me to read one.

What can I say? This was FUN. I love Jane Austen and after having some book fatigue from not-so-stellar stories, I gave this a try to cleanse my palate.

This had cool artwork, the story that was captured flowed well, and I found the storytelling style to be a surprisingly enjoyable way to experience Austen's work in a different way.

Recommended
Zoë
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the artwork and how it kept me interested and inspired while reading the actual book!
Sandra
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Quería acercarme a otra historia de Jane Austen en forma de cómic, después de la buena experiencia que había tenido con el de orgullo y perjuicio manga, aunque en esta ocasión no fue de todo tan disfrutable, lo que más me gusto son los chibis que me hicieron mucha gracia.Eso si me ha entrado ganas de leer por fin Sentido y Sensibilidad libro, esperemos que sea para este año.
Tori
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ok, so I'm not a big graphic novel fan. However, my 12 year old is a huge one. So she challenged me to try this version of one of my favorites to see if I liked it. And I actually DID like it!! The artwork was great and so was the story (obviously... because it's Sense and Sensibility!) Now I'm off to read Pride and Prejudice.
Nancy Meservier
Sisters Elinor and Marianne Dashwood couldn't be any more different. Elinor is reserved and sensible, and Marianne is passionate and vocal. After the death of their father, they find themselves suddenly penniless, as their older brother inherits everything. Sense and Sensibility is a story of sisterhood and romance, as well as a glimpse on what it was like to be a woman during the Regency Era. The graphic novel adapts Jane Austen's classic story into one slim volume.

Sense and Sensibility is a st
Anna
Aug 03, 2012 added it
Shelves: austenesque
The Marvel Illustrated version of Jane Austen’s Sense & Sensibility collects the five comic book series by Nancy Butler and Sonny Liew (illustrator) in a single volume. This graphic novel is a retelling of the classic novel, with the basic plot points condensed into dialogue and accompanied by a blend of serious and humorous illustrations to emphasize the different sides of the various characters.

I think this is my favorite of the Austen graphic novel adaptations so far. Butler simplifies th
Sophia
I read the original Sense and Sensibility novel only once and many years ago so I was delighted when I won this copy of it in graphic format. I am not very familiar with this style books so I was extremely curious to read it.

I found myself chuckling over the quirky illustrations that distinguished each character well even in those small frames. Though quirky, there was a definite timeless feel to the art with its soft colors and lighting along with the nice authentic detail work to the clothing
Sorina

Sense & Sensibility is among my favourite Austen novel, if not the favourite. So, right off the bat there is no way I can be objective when reading this. I loved it!

I mean, sure, the art wasn't something that I was into; it had an almost YA feeling to it, but it actually kinda worked for the tone of the book so it didn't bother me that much.

And really, I'll take Marianne and Colonel Brandon in any way I can get. I have written my fair share of "essays" about their romance and progress and
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Marvel's attempt at Pride & Prejudice left me with a foul taste in my mouth; how does an image centered medium present such a dialogue-heavy story without making it seem choppy? Indeed, Pride & Prejudice's comic adaptation by Nancy Butler made for too much plot crammed in to too few actual comics. Sense & Sensibility includes the depth in dialogue that one expects of any decent Austen adaptation; it doesn't break to a whole new scene with every new box. The integrity of Austen's char ...more
Kaitlyn
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Greatly enjoyed this take on a classic. It makes it much more fast paced and streamlines the slow bits from the original. All in all a very fun story. I loved revisiting it.
Karen Hsu
Feb 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I've never read the novel, but I love the Ang Lee movie adaptation of the book, so I thought I'd enjoy this. It was a good abridged version of the story. I felt some of the transitions were a bit abrupt, but nothing was confusing.

The art was not my favorite and the style almost reminded me of a Marvel/DC comic book, which I thought was kind of incongruous (what with the romantic source material).

But the story is timeless and I still spent a fair amount of time perusing the dialogue and character
Karen
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay I may be partial to all things Jane Austen. But like pride and prejudice I read this in novel form first and really enjoyed it. And this form just gave it a fresh look. I really like reading the classic in graphic novel form. it is like reading a new book almost.
Amy
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you like Jane Austen's book, Sense & Sensibility (I do) and you like Marvel comics (I do), you'll surely like this illustrated homage to the novel.
78sunny
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay zur Story brauche ich wohl nicht viel sagen, außer, dass es unglaublich gut als Graphic Novel herübergebracht wurde. Das ist wirklich etwas seltenes. Hier wird man aber wie in einem Roman direkt in die Story hineingezogen. Es ist sehr textlastig und teilweise war es etwas schwierig das ganze im Englischem zu verstehen. Ich hätte mir ein paar mehr Szenen mit dem Coronal gewünscht, da er mein absoluter Lieblingscharakter ist.
Der Zeichenstil ist natürlich sehr eigen. Man sollte einen Blick hin
Winna
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Color me surprised when i saw this at the big bad wolf a couple of weeks ago. The illustrations were not what i was expecting - they were a bit cutesy, but the colors were warm and the story faithfully adapted from the source material. It reminded me of how much i used to love the movie. Even the dialogue was immediately adapted to the graphic novel, and that was a pleasant surprise.
Clara
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this so much! I'm gonna give the actual book another shot!
Kim
Sense and Sensibility is a classic story of family, friendship, heartache, love, grief, and sisterly bonds. This brilliant rendition of Sense and Sensibility turned graphic novel brings Jane Austen’s vibrant words to life through incredible illustrations.

I was very nervous at first about picking up the graphic novel version of Sense and Sensibility because of my thoughts on the Pride and Prejudice graphic novel. (Both are produced by Marvel comics) I thought that the artist’s rendition of the Pr
EZRead eBookstore

Seriously, Sonny Liew’s artwork makes the ent
Jennifer Mitchell
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I feel like I should preface these thoughts, by saying first that Sense and Sensibility is probably my least favorite Jane Austen novel. I always find Elinor and Marianne too opposing - Elinor too rigid, Marianne just too much. And I just never feel the connection to the other characters, especially the male characters that serve as the sisters love interests. So, it's a Jane Austen novel that I am not as familiar with. Nancy Butler mentions in a note at the start of the novel that she added and ...more
Jo Bennie
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b
Austen is both a challenge and an opportunity when it comes to translating into graphic novel form. Her books deal with complex social hierarchies and subtleties, but Nancy Butler and Sonny Liew do an excellent job of adapting Sense and Sensiblity. The pictoral element of graphic fiction can make light work of portraying paragraphs and pages of the novel and Liew elegantly makes the most of the format to communicate feelings and motivations.

Elinor and Marianne Dashwood are sisters left impoveris
Victoria
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sense and Sensibility was the very first Jane Austen novel that I read. That being said, it certainly wasn't my favourite (or even second favourite). I found that I was more satisfied with this graphic novel than I was with the Pride and Prejudice version. One of the key parts was that the illustrations did not rely on the movie or mini-series for inspiration as much as Pride and Prejudice did. And from what I remember it had all the needed main characters (also unlike Pride and Prejudice).

This
Nichole
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nancy Butler’s adaptation of Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility is rather like a very good, detailed Cliff notes. The basic story line is there, as are the characters and their various settings, but a great deal is missing. The one winning aspect of this graphic novel, is however, the beautiful artwork. I could see maybe this being a good supplement teaching tool, especially for reluctant readers who are just not going to read Austen, no matter what. This was a rather “wordy” graphic novel but ...more
Christine
Sense & Sensibility regularly vies with Mansfield Park for the title of my favorite Austen book, so I did worry that I would be overly sensitive about a graphic novel adaptation. What met me though was absolutely charming. I had not been a fan of the Pride and Prejudice comic, but here I found the art pleasing and adorable, and felt the text was much more on par with the novel.

Also, my favorite line in all of Austen was maintained ("Elinor was then at liberty to think and be wretched") whic
Kimikimi
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I think this graphic novel took too many liberties (ooh, oldtimey word!) withthe original text/ Thast being said, it almost has to happen since most of Austin's work is dialogue. I kind of didn't like the way that led to them showing everything directly, you miss out on a lot of Austin's Sublty and wit.
Jennifer Green
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Probably a great alternative to reading a Coles Notes summary for school when you don't want to read the full book. As a die hard Austen fan who usually gets sucked into any and all spin offs or adaptations, this wasn't for me. I think it would have worked better with more Manga-style illustrations. I found that the more period-inspired approach didn't work for me.
  • Oz: Ozma of Oz (Marvel Classics)
  • Manga Classics: Emma
  • Daybreak
  • First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice
  • Sense & Sensibility: A Babylit(r) Opposites Primer
  • The United States Constitution: A Graphic Adaptation
  • Charity Envieth Not (George Knightley, Esquire #1)
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • Prejudice & Pride
  • Intimations of Austen
  • Wonderland
  • The Phantom of Pemberley (Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery #1)
Nancy Butler also writes under her real name, Nancy J. Hajeski.

Nancy Butler has been an Anglophile since she was nineteen, when she traveled to England to see Carnaby Street. (“I blame it on the Beatles!”) Her frequent visits to an American friend living in London have furnished her with enough inspiration to keep writing Regencies well into the new millennium.

Butler resides in northern New Jersey

Jane Austen: Marvel Adaptations (4 books)
  • Pride & Prejudice