Start by marking “Candor” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Candor

The picture-perfect new town of Candor, Florida, is attracting more and more new families, drawn by its postcard-like small-town feel, with white picket fences, spanking-new but old-fashioned-looking homes, and neighborliness.

But the parents are drawn by something else as well.  They know that in Candor their obstreperous teenagers will somehow become rewired - they'll lea
Published December 14th 2010 by EgmontUSA (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Candor, please sign up.
Kathryn This book is not set in the future and it is just one town that is messed up (rather than he whole world) so I wouldn't call it a distopian novel. (I…moreThis book is not set in the future and it is just one town that is messed up (rather than he whole world) so I wouldn't call it a distopian novel. (I find) its a really quick read, there's not alot of suspense but the ending is fantastic and does end in a cliffhanger. (I would defiantly recommend this book) :-) hope that helps.(less)

Thomas
"Candor" is about Oscar Banks, the model son who lives in the model town of Candor, Florida. He is perfect in every way - he gets perfect grades, is the perfect boyfriend, and is the epitome of what every child in Candor should be. However, this alibi is just a cover. Oscar knows the big secret of Candor - that his father, the head of the town, is brainwashing everyone with subliminal messages in order to keep them perfectly orderly and rule-abiding. Oscar has even made a counter - business in o ...more
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
I'd been looking forward to reading this book but I can't say that I loved it all that much. The premise was fantastic, the plot was decent, the execution just wasn't impressive. The writing was simple and pretty easy to follow. The protagonist, Oscar, wasn't complex enough and very uninteresting - I just couldn't connect with him. His relationships were unbelievable too and not just because he was living in Candor. The only character I could feel anything for was Nia, and that was only slight. ...more
Megan
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Candor is a YA novel in the spirit of The Stepford Wives. Author Pam Bachorz invented a town where parents of delinquent, bullying or just plan slacker kids can turn to for subliminal Messages to improve the kid’s behavior, appearance, and grade point average. The Messages don’t just work on kids, though. Oscar’s dad (the town founder) promises to help parents beat their own demons from smoking to motivation to being addicted to Goodreads. *ahem*

Clearly, Oscar’s dad is a hot mess of issues. As
Sophie Riggsby / allthingsequilateral
First, I cannot say enough about this book, so forgive the Gushing Factor right away or you'll never finish reading this post.

Second, I admit to loving books about a dystopian/utopian, Stepford-esque society. It's a bias. So I'll throw it out there.

Third, wait, you're still with me? Okay, here comes the review part. Pam Bachorz introduces her snarky male protagonist on page one. We meet Oscar Banks. The son of the founder of Candor, FL. He is the Boy Who Can Do No Wrong. And he doesn't. Well, o
Kristen "Kirby"
Feb 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Light weight Sci-fi fans
Shelves: march-2010, reviews, ya
The first 5 chapters of Candor had me thinking "Wow. This is going to be an exciting, well-rounded, and complex story."

Many, many chapters later, on page 162/256, I was sighing, hoping for something, ANYTHING to happen.

Then, on page 170ish there's finally a major conflict. (I'm sure you can guess what happens, but I won't say.)

The story took far to long to get started, but once it did, WOW. Awesome. The ending is unlike anything you'd ever guess.

Candor is a story to be taken lightly. If you l
Ariel
Feb 13, 2013 rated it liked it
This was such an interesting and different read! I recommend it to anyone who enjoys dystopian and is looking for something relatable but with a twist! This is a book about a town where one man controls everyone by brainwashing everyone through music. It's the story of his son: a boy living in this brainwashed town but who knows how to fight it and what he does with that knowledge.

Now, I did have some problems with the book. I wish it would have been longer, for starters, because a lot of the im
Rhi
Karin
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oscar Banks is the perfect boyfriend, the perfect son, and the perfect example of what every child should be like. Oscar’s father is the founder of Candor, an exclusive community where everything is perfect – there is no crime, teenagers do their homework and obey their parents, and everyone lives a healthy lifestyle (since instead of ice cream the stores only sell frozen yogurt and instead of popcorn at the movies they only serve carrot sticks).

Oscar plays the part of the model student perfectl
Rusty's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring)
Such a pointless read!

For me, this book went absolutely nowhere just one big pointless circle. I seriously don't understand how this book got so many 4 or 5 star ratings!

When I was on the first few pages, I must admit I was very intrigued. I was also captivated by the idea of subliminal messages being sent to control everyone. I also liked the parts where Oscar falls in love with Nia and decides he wants more from life than Candor can offer.

The narrative and plot were intriguing and there was a
K.
Trigger warnings: brainwashing, death of a sibling (in the past), blood.

2.5 stars.

So here's the thing: this concept was FASCINATING. An apparently utopian community that's actually a dystopian community thanks to a crapton of subliminal messaging? That's a freaking cool idea.

And there were things about it that I liked, but for the most part? This left me with more questions than anything. Like...initially, we're told that the subliminal messaging messes with the teenagers and the kids in town
H
I have no idea what to say as I'm writing this review so let's start with how I'm feeling about the book right now, only half an hour after I've finished it. Disappointed, let-down.

I was even tempted to give it a two-star, but there were too many good parts that made up my mind about the book.

Candor's prompt is exciting. A brain-washed community, a boy/hero that's against it and a heroine to go along with it. Even the way people were brain-washed was interesting: by messages. It's a creepy idea
Natalie
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've been hearing a lot of great things about Candor, so naturally, I was excited to read it. The premise was definitely interesting--an entire town controlled by subliminal messages. With that being said, I had a difficult time getting into this book. Honestly, I had a difficult time finishing this book until the last 40 pages or so.

I think the characterization in the book is what made me have trouble sticking with it. The plot was interesting, the writer's style was good, but the characters ne
Fay
Like many other people, I jumped onto this book because of the plot. I mean, the concept sounded amazing, so interesting and unique.

The only problem: everything else was so bland.

Now, don't get me wrong. It seems like I have very high standards when it comes to dystopian novels. And it's not like this book was so terrible it deserves to be burnt. It was just... nothing.

The characters were mlehh, the writing was too simple and also mlehh, and the book was just mlehh.

I do admit when I finished the
AJ
Dec 14, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What. I read all that for this? What.
Beth
May 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've already read 1984. Apparently, so has Pam.
Easton Groskreutz
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Personal Response:
Personally, I really liked Candor by Pam Bachorz because of the undercover adventure that happened. Oscar went behind his dad’s back, so he could not be controlled. He also did the right thing, which taught a valuable lesson to the reader. Oscar’s dad, on the other hand, was not evil in any way. All he tried to do was help Candor’s children become perfect. I rated this book four stars, because it entertained me throughout the book.

Plot:
Candor was a story about how a father want
monica ♪
2.5 Stars

I don't really read dystopian. In fact, the only science fiction book I've ever read was The Divergent Series (and I haven't even read Allegiant yet) LOL
To my surprise, I actually enjoy reading this book. Maybe I really should read dystopian books more often.

For someone who has a very poor imagination and too-realistic like me, this book really captivated me. I could follow the plot easily without kept asking my self "how could that happen?! It's too unrealistic to happen in real life"
A
Aug 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
by Pam Bachorz

Think your parents are controlling? Oscar Banks’s father is a genius. He was sick of Oscar always getting in trouble, so he bought a huge chunk of land in Florida, created a subdivision, called it Candor, and invited other families with “troubled teens” to move in...for a price. Oh yeah, and he developed a way to use music to make teens do what they’re told to.

“It happens fast. One day kids are blasting their music, ignoring their parents, smoking or drinking or doing whate
Yan
Mar 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to lavish the book with compliments, with praise, with excitement on my face about how freaking much I love this book. Of course though, there’s a but (there’s always a but). I had some annoying frustration on my end when I first read Candor.

I guess my biggest reluctance would be Oscar. Oscar at some point seemed childish to me? His attraction to Nia may have resulted to the fact that she represents everything Oscar abhors. Does he only love her because he hates this town, hates his fa
Casey Brock
My whole high school is being made to read this book, one grade level at a time, and I was one of the last to get it. The whole time I kept hearing how terrible it was, which made me very reluctant to get into it, but I did as told.

In short, this book isn't terrible. The storyline is interesting once you suspend your disbelief and you gradually begin to like the narrator. There are a few major problems though.

1. So many lines just fall totally flat. There are some that actually elicited a physic
Kelsey
Mar 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, tour
Wow, I've been reading a lot of great books lately and this one was no exception. Candor was an amazing read. I read it pretty quickly, too. It reminded me a bit of Uglies by Scott Westerfeld and The Giver by Lois Lowery. The first thing that captured me was the line on the back cover: "Stepford makes the perfect wife, but Candor teens are changed for life." Now anyone who has read or seen the movie, The Stepford Wives, knows exactly how scary this quote is. I was hooked from the first chapter a ...more
Erica
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Candor is a fresh take on the sci-fi topic of mind-control while being intriguing, thought-provoking, and almost a little creepy. The thought of teens lives being controlled by messages they don't even realize are there moves it right up the scale. Candor is definately a book to keep your curiousity pumping!

Candor took a few chapters to really pick up, but once it did, there was no putting it down. The story was addicting - I had to know what would happen next. Pam Bachorz kept you gues
Espe
Oct 24, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 100-books-in-09, ya
I had heard so many good things about this book and I didn't love it. I think the concept is fantastic, especially this whole idea of a utopian society that is not connected to a post-apocalypse. I never really got into the why's of things, I never really understood the back story. I wanted to learn more about why Campbell Banks created this place to begin with. But, it seemed that despite the great concept, there was a rush to get somewhere, but I never connected with where I was supposed to be ...more
Mrs. Palmer
This book has subtle nods to 1984 in terms of mind control of subjects. However, the setting is Florida, and it's a town called Candor. It is never explained how Oscar Banks' father is able to just set up a town and brainwash everyone who lives in it without being figured out or called out on it. He's basically the ruler of this town, and the specifics of his subliminal messaging technology are never quite explained. Apparently his older son died as a result of his bad decisions. For that reason ...more
Ariel Acupan
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Candor: In This Town, You Are What You Hear.

Oscar Banks live in a perfect town, Candor. Nobody leaves Candor. Why would you? Everything you needed is already there. The messages make sure of that. Who would not want perfect parents or perfect kids, healthy living and zero-crime rate? But what if someone wants to be different? To not be perfect . . .

The idea of subliminal messages being used for brainwashing was already out there. I remember way back high school, other says that many listens to
Rita
I thought that the premise was interesting, but Oscar wasn't that much.

When Nia comes into his life, everything changes. And that exactly was what made me not like the story more.

Although I think that the ending was executed pretty well. I liked that one a lot.

I think that this would be great movie material, but as a novel it just was okay.
Cristina Lichi
PERSONAL RESPONSE: I liked the book, Candor, by Pam Bachorz because it’s about a teenager and it deals in the present. Candor society is “perfect” because people don’t do bad things, but they act in the right way because of Messages that fill their brains.

PLOT: The story has a very strong impact on the reader because it is about a society where people act good because of subliminal Messages that tell them what is right or wrong that makes Candor a “perfect society.”
The founder of the society is
Teanna Jaeger
Personal Response:
I think the book Candor by Pam Bachorz is a good book to read for young teens and I really enjoyed it. This science-fiction novel is a book, which I would suggest for people who enjoy adventure books. It took me all over the place and was hard for me to imagine what was going on. This book is something I would definitely recommend to people. At first, I was kind of lost in the book and wasn’t sure if I was going to be interested in reading it but it just took a little while to
Frances Walsh
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alexis
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Candor by Pam Bachorz is a very thrilling story. In Candor, everyone is happy and there are no crimes or conflicts whatsoever. Candor is always at ease. Oscar Banks is a superior person. Being the town mayor's son who is a smart, respectful, popular teenager, everyone wants to be like him. But Oscar isn't all innocent. He knows something that influences the town and all its residents behavior, something that no one in the town knows of. This is what makes the book so interesting and creative.
I
Thoughts on Candor 15 57 Feb 25, 2015 09:03AM
  • Epitaph Road
  • Nomansland
  • Vulture's Wake
  • The Unidentified
  • Girl in the Arena
  • The Sky Inside (The Sky Inside, #1)
  • Restoring Harmony
  • Renegat (Nocarz, #2)
  • Secrets of Truth and Beauty
  • Those That Wake (Those That Wake, #1)
  • Circle Nine
  • Blue Plate Special
  • The Other Side of the Island
  • Scored
  • Days Like This
  • The Line (The Line, #1)
  • The Miles Between
  • Dull Boy
Pam Bachorz grew up in a small town in the Adirondack foothills, where she participated in every possible performance group and assiduously avoided any threat of athletic activity, unless it involved wearing sequined headpieces and treading water. With a little persuasion she will belt out tunes from "The Music Man" and "The Fantasticks", but she knows better than to play cello in public anymore. ...more
“But I can’t leave, not yet. I’ll stay with her until sunrise. If I brace my feet, I won’t slide. I can rest my cheek on the roof tile and still see her. Pacing. Pulling her hair.

“I’ll fix you,” I tell her. “I promise.”

Even though I don’t know how.
It’s better than good-bye.”
24 likes
“It’s disgusting. They melted my girl down and poured her into their mold. And this perversion is what she cooled into. I can’t be near her. Can’t see her, smell her, hear her voice chirping like a bird.

I tell her the same thing I’ve been whispering every night on the roof. “I’m sorry. It’s my fault.”
20 likes