Start by marking “Guards! Guards!: The Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
Guards! Guards!: The Graphic Novel

Guards! Guards!: The Graphic Novel

(Discworld Graphic Novels #3)

The City Watch, one of Pratchett's finest creations, rendered - well maybe not Technicolor - but certainly as never seen before.
Published 2000 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about Guards! Guards!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guards! Guards!

Start your review of Guards! Guards!: The Graphic Novel
Joey Woolfardis
A couple of things before we start.

I have only read four comic books (or graphic novels? I swear I don't know the difference, I am not taking the piss) before and those were sexist and pointless. I am not a comic book person, but I love illustrated editions of books. Same thing, right? Nope.

And secondly, I love Terry Pratchett and will read anything with his name on it, even those terrible sci-fi books he wrote with that other dude.

So, with my pathetic knowledge and experience of comicbookgraphi
Paul
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Guards Guards would be amongst my favourite books and one I have read on numerous occasions. I love the City Watch created by Terry Pratchett and on top of that this book has one of those wonderful realistic romance stories mixed in with Sam Vimes and Sybil which I just love. Added to the mix the twists on fantasy tropes and brilliant wit and its just a great book.
Does it work as a Graphic novel ?, well yes yes it does. Artwork is great. Nobby is particularly well captured as is Vetinari. Not su
Neville Ridley-smith
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This was very disappointing in many ways. I remember reading the book about 15 years ago and thoroughly enjoying it - Pratchett was really starting to hit his stride. This adaptation conveys little of the humour.

Pratchett's humour is very much based on his turn of phrase, his descriptions and his timing. These are always going to be hard to translate into other mediums.

But it's not just that. As a plain comic it fails. The art is average. Worse than that, the panels often don't make sense. I im
Abhishek
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have not read enough of Terry Pratchett's books (totally my fault!) to claim to know his style of writing. But even the few that I have read have given me the picture of a man who is witty beyond words, smarter than most of his fellow humans, and a terrific writer who can pen the weirdest of his thoughts with clarity on paper. A graphic novel may not do enough justice to the writings of Pratchett, but Stephen Briggs seems to have adapted Guards! Guards! quite well. I say that because in this b ...more
K
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Apparently 8 yrs is long enough for me to have forgotten that not only did I read this book, but I own it, too. It stays fantastically true to the novel & any Pratchett fan should pick it up to read it. I loved the illustrations & Briggs did a wonderful job bringing Pratchett's humor to this medium. ...more
Tasha
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not as good as I was hoping it would. The Pratchett humour is missing, some of the panels in places seem to be in the wrong order or they are in the right order and make no sense, the artwork is OK although the representation of the characters don't seem to match the book, some panels I couldn't make out what was going on. Overall disappointing
Julien V
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
The adaptation and transfer on a different medium was a little awkward, but this is still one of Terry Pratchett's best works, so how could you not enjoy it? Although you might want to read the original novel instead... This version is for hardcore fans.
Mark Nevitt
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy reading this Graphic novel adaption, as a fan that belongs to anything PRATCHETT, I give it high praise. This is based on the novel Guards! Guards! hence the title adapted into a stage play by Stephen Briggs. " Captain Vimes and his forgotten police force- an overweight and cowardly sergeant, a corporal who just about qualifies as human, and the Discworld's tallest dwarf..." oh and" a seventy foot long fire breathing dragon"
Ümit Mutlu
I love Discworld. I love Guards! Guards!. And I love graphic novels.

But this is a really, really bad book. It is not funny at all, drawing is bad, there is not any creative scene... I think it's a shame for DW.

Anyway, please read Guards! Guards! instead of this. That is something.
Joseph Young
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A hilarious world where people know they're in a story, afraid of attacking a single bold unarmed man for fear he might be the hero, or try to make a crossbow shot even more impossible so that they might actually make it.

This follows a set of guards as they investigate the reemergence of a grand dragon, and then the aftermath once that dragon takes over their world.
Gavin Waskett
My favourite Terry Pratchett characters as a Graphic Novel, what's not to like!

Not much to be honest, it brings the Guards to life in a much better way than the forthcoming BBC America adaptation seems to be doing! Obviously the story is trimmed but the humour and characterisations are still there. Not as great as the book but still a very good version.
Lindsay
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read the written novel by Terry Pratchett but I adore graphic novels and decided to see if the characters in my head matched how they were drawn.
Their close and the story flows smoothly in graphic form too.
I’ll be buying more Discworld graphic novels in the future too good to miss!
Cristina Muresan
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Hmmm.

Not sure I can be overly excited about this one. It's quite cute, and a bit of a different take on Terry Pratchett's work but I think I'll stick to the novels in the future. It's amusing in parts, and does convey the personality of the characters nicely but - something is missing.
Harry Casey-Woodward
A fun book. Drawing’s a bit rough in places but the humour is intact.
GingerSnapHattie
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Seeing some of my favourite characters brought to life in this graphic novel was a dream come true <3 Reading this is the perfect way to spend a few hours in the sun! ...more
Natalie
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great story with excellent illustrations. This is definitely one I know I'll re-read in the future.
Faith Hignight
So much missing from the original book that the main story is lost. Very sad.
Boukje
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
The artwork is ok, but I would have liked it more if it least some well written details would have been followed (like all dwarfs looking male in this time period).

still like the story though :)
R
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tome-treasure
"...we were dragons. We were supposed to be cruel, cunning, heartless and terrible. But this much I can tell you, you ape – the great face pressed even closer, so that Wonse was staring into the pitiless depths of his eyes – we never burned and tortured and ripped one another apart and called it morality."

This book is a delightful graphic novel adaptation of one of the finest (if not the best) Discworld books - GUARDS! GUARDS! Beginning of arguably the best story arc in the series, the origi
David Raz
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels, humor
This was quite a disappointment. I'm not a huge comics/graphic novels fan, so maybe I'm missing something, but I was expecting more. The source material, Guards! Guards!, is an easy five star book, the adaptation needs to be really bad to botch this. But it does.
Starting with the plot, I think the adaptation missed most of it. I don't see how anyone who didn't read the book will understand whatever is going on. Even the parts that are drawn are done in a clumsy way, and the drawn picture fails t
Michael Murdoch
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it

Some night-time prowler is turning the (mostly) honest citizens of Ankh-Morpork into something resembling small charcoal biscuits. And that's a real problem for Captain Vimes, who must tramp the mean streets of the naked city looking for a 70-foot-long fire-breathing dragon which, he believes, can help him with his enquiries. But there's more - now we get to see Ankh-Morpork in all its glory; illustrations so vibrant you can practically smell and taste the denizens of this delightful city (altho

Raj
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
This isn't a review of Guards Guards per se, a book that I've read a few times and am fond of, but of the graphic novel. The art here by Graham Higgins is nice, very different from the Josh Kirby stuff that I grew up with, but fitting for the grimy world of Ankh-Morpork and its inhabitants. The only problem is the same problem that afflicts all adaptations of Terry Pratchett: namely that so much of the humour comes from the narrative, the description and the footnotes, much of which is lost here ...more
P.D.R. Lindsay
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This, I always think, is where Terry Pratchett decided that he could stretch himself and write good, Jonathon Swift style satire. Tentatively at first he gives us the beginnings of the characters of Sam Vimes, Fred Colon, Nobby Nobbs and the unbelievable Carrot Ironfoundason. They are what will become the Night Watch and finally the City Watch.

I had always been amused by the Pratchett novels about the witches and wizards and enjoyed Pratchett's obvious writing skill, horrible puns and whacky hu
Robert Bone
A very interging book indeed. I picked this up in my local library knowing that I had never read a Terry Prachett Book and wouldnt probably like his style anyway...but I had never properly read a comic style book like this before - so I thought Id give it a whack. I think the comic was based on a Terry Book so some of the plot was quite confusing for me, but I quickly got caught up. I loved the characters and how indivigual they were - I could really relate to them. On the other hand, I was so c ...more
MG
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
My daughter bought this for me as a surprise Christmas gift, knowing I LOVE Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. This, it turns out, is the graphic novel edition of one of my favorite volumes (there are over 30!) GUARDS! GUARDS! I loved Pratchett in this form, too, a creative and fun way to re-experience a wonderful story featuring Vimes and Carrot. But read the novel first. You will not get the full fun otherwise.
Nenangs
There are books that can be visualized better by a graphic novel format, this one is not such case.
Somehow I feel the book will be more "complete" in a novel format than the graphic novel format. Probably because my imagination was castrated by the pictures.

I can't wait to get a hand on the un-graphic-novel one.
Jasmine
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: british
I didn't like this as far as graphic novels go. I didn't see a lot of names or sense in the comic. And I wanted to stop reading it about halfway though. It feels like something that you have to read the novel before you can read.
Nicola-ingrid
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Not one of my favourite Discworld novels, so a friend bought me the graphic novel. A mix of the best bits of Pratchett's humour and the beautiful artwork of Graham Higgins. Some pages are just artwork, and yet it still manages to speak a thousand slightly-sarcastic words.
Kaida Ashia
I'm not rating this book as i never finished it, i get over halfway through before giving up on it mostly due to it seeming to be to slow, it did have its funny moments but i just couldn't finish it.
Oni
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Should read a novel format - I don't think that Pratchett translates well into comic - too much seems to be lost. Sadly, the art doesn't make up for it.

Honestly, read it while waiting for my phone to charge in the library. Don't think I would have picked this up at a store.

• Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • The Discworld Graphic Novels: The Colour of Magic & The Light Fantastic
  • Thud! (Discworld, #34; City Watch #7)
  • Wyrd Sisters: The Play
  • The Last Hero (Discworld #27; Rincewind #7)
  • Night Watch (Discworld, #29; City Watch, #6)
  • Mort: A Discworld Big Comic
  • Men at Arms: The Play
  • Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection
  • Going Postal (Discworld, #33; Moist von Lipwig, #1)
  • The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30; Tiffany Aching, #1)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Truckers: The First Book of the Nomes
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Where's My Cow? (Discworld, #34.5)
  • A Blink of the Screen: Collected Shorter Fiction
  • Nation
  • Making Money (Discworld, #36; Moist Von Lipwig, #2)
Stephen Briggs is a British writer of subsidiary works and merchandise surrounding Terry Pratchett's comic fantasy Discworld. He is also a narrator of many Discworld audiobooks
who graduated from Curtin University with a double major in Theatre Arts and Creative Writing before attending WAPPA and studying Broadcasting. Midway through his time there he decided he didn't want to be a journo and moved

Discworld Graphic Novels (4 books)
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic: The Graphic Novel