Start by marking “Lords and Ladies (Discworld, #14)” as Want to Read:
Lords and Ladies (Discworld, #14)

Lords and Ladies

(Discworld #14)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  60,399 ratings  ·  1,301 reviews
THE FAIRIES ARE BACK - BUT THIS TIME THEY DON'T JUST WANT YOUR TEETH...

Granny Weatherwax and her tiny coven are up against real elves.

It's Midsummer Night.

No times for dreaming...

With full supporting cast of dwarfs, wizards, trolls, Morris dancers and one orang-utan. And lots of hey-nonny-nonny and blood all over the place.
Published November 1st 1993 by Corgi (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Lords and Ladies, please sign up.
Jilane It says at the beginning of the book that most of the books don’t have to be in order, but in order to understand some of the references, you need to…moreIt says at the beginning of the book that most of the books don’t have to be in order, but in order to understand some of the references, you need to read Witches Abroad before Lords and Ladies.(less)

·  60,399 ratings  ·  1,301 reviews

Nataliya
“Witches can generally come to terms with what actually is, instead of insisting on what ought to be.”
As anyone who knows me can attest to, I tend to gush over Pratchett's books, with all his wit and wisdom and the ability to create incredibly clever and very serious humor rooted in uncomfortably deep understanding of human mind.
“Personal’s not the same as important. People just think it is.”
Lords and Ladies of the Lancre Witches subcycle of the Discworld books was the first Pratchett Witch
Lyn
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elves on the Discworld.

In Guillermo del Toro’s 2008 film Hellboy 2, the Elvin character Prince Nuada makes a point about humans remembering why they fear the dark. These elves are dark creatures, thoroughly unfaeirie like and even un-Tolkien like.

Terry Pratchett’s 1992 Discworld novel (the 14th) Lords and Ladies describes a similarly negative vision of elves. I could not help wondering if del Toro gained some inspiration from Pratchett’s dark elves.

Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Og and Magrat are just
Trish
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Lancre, Granny's "turf". Very bad idea to invade here and challenge a certain witch. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

In this 14th volume of the Discworld series our three witches Granny Esme Weatherwax, Nanny Githa Ogg and Magrat return after their adventure in Genua to find all preparations made for a certain royal wedding. Since I never much cared for Magrat, I also didn't really mourn her no longer being a witch but a queen-to-be(e).
However, the festivities are first hindered by a pair of cold feet and then
Jono
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, hilarious
i agree wholeheartedly, this is my FAVORITE of the Witch series. I love Granny v Lily in "Witches Abroad," but if you delighted in Mrs. Weasley gettin all Sigourney Weaver on Bellatrix L in the last Harry Potter, YOU'LL LOVE the whole last third of the book. i squirmed with glee as soon as Magrat put on that armor. the principle of a cat in a box being any of 3 various states till you open the box: alive, dead, bloody pissed off is all i know about physics, or need to know.
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-shelf, fantasy
The great Re-Read of Discworld continues... with the witches. :) This is a pretty direct followup from Mag's romantic adventure with the king-to-be and culminating in the grand wedding between the two.

As weddings go, every grand personage of the Discworld (or so it seems) has been invited to the wedding, but of course, things don't go all that well with all those crop circles and the E***S who must not be named.

Pretty funny, all told, but it's Og and her suiter who steals the show. And Old Weat
Ivan
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 1000th read here on GR and first 5 stars this year (not counting re-read).
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fantasy
Part of the Pratchett reread with the SpecFic Buddy Reads group.

This book has Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick returning home to Lancre from their time away (see Witches Abroad). Magrat gets to finally resolve her situation with King Verence and begin dealing with her post-Witch situation. Granny and Nanny both have a lot going on as well, with the faculty of the Unseen University and Casanunda paying visits. Oh, and an incursion into our reality by murderous Elves and their Quee
Chris
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, pratchett, fantasy

Elves.

When you think of elves, what do you think of? The tall, fair-skinned beings of Tolkien's Middle Earth? The ebony warriors from Dungeons & Dragons? Delicious cookies?

Not on Discworld. On Discworld, the Elves are folk of legend, and dark legend at that. People there remember the elves, although not very well. They remember through old wives' tales, about leaving milk for the fairies and not going near the standing stones. Ask someone in the kingdom of Lancre, and they'll think of elves
Melindam
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uno-2017, discworld
"Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad."

This book reminded me that I need to re-read
Melki
The gals have been gone a while, and lots of things can happen in eight month's time.

Magrat is still planning to marry the new king (and former fool) of Lancre, and anyone who's everyone will be attending the Royal Wedding, including our favorite Librarian. (If only they can get him to put on some clothes...)

But wait...strange things are happening. (Well, stranger things than the strange things that normally happen in Discworld.)

Even the bees are worried.

Granny Weatherwax is reunited with an ol
Wiebke (1book1review)
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rereading this was a revelation of sorts. I had forgotten that this book was about elves and also how much I had learned from Granny Weatherwax in this novel.
Needless to say I enjoyed the read immensely and can't wait to continue traveling in Discworld.

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
It started slow and I was beginning to wonder how is it possible that a story with Granny Weatherwax could be like this. Then it picked up a bit and almost until one heart-stopping moment near the end it was just an ok story with occasional brilliant flashes that I have come to expect from a Discworld book.
As usual, Nanny Ogg was hilarious. Granny's out of the character behaviour got a satisfactory explanation.

The lords and ladies are elves and they want to come back. Since they are murdering m
Chris
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discworld-novels
I love Pratchett's spin on fantasy. He takes a well-known faerie tale (elves) and shines a totally different light on them:
"Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
Claudiu
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Books like 'Lords and ladies' are the reason why I seem to return to Pratchett's universe time and time again. You can always count on this author to produce something new with his already established character sets and settings...and that's a fantastic draw.

I won't go into summary for the plot or story. There are tens of reviews written already that have that covered...so I'll just justify those 5 marks up there. And since I feel I'll be adding this to any review I write, the stars do not repr
Gavin
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In my last review I admitted that I was a big fan of re-contextualised mythology, and I think anyone who has any interest in fantasy will find that they are too.

In Lords and Ladies, Pratchett re-draws the boundaries where elves are concerned. Trying to push the fae folk back from Tolkien's ("pretty = lovely") vision towards their German/Scandinavian folkloric roots ("pretty = dangerous") is -to this day- an almost entirely unique direction to head in, and an interesting one. After all, people ar
YouKneeK
Lords and Ladies is the fourth book in the Witches subseries of Discworld. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the previous two Witches books. I thought the humor, while present, wasn’t nearly as strong as it was in the last two.

I think the humor seemed weaker because our main characters (Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat, of course!) were often off doing separate things, and a big part of what makes me laugh in these books comes from dialogue between Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg. On the
Toby
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, fantastical
The witches are returning to Lancre after the events of Witches Abroad to find that nothing much has changed in their absence, except that some young girls have been meddling with witchcraft and allowed the elves to cross from their dimension in to the Lancre hills and are once more attempting to enslave the Disc. Granny is getting forgetful, Nanny is getting amorous and Magrat is going to be Queen on Midsummer's Night. What chance does the Disc have when it's in the hands of comic artisans, bum ...more
Holly
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this one: about how folklore isn't as benign as we often believe, about all the different lives we might have led...and about how, especially on your wedding day, "it's not about what you've got but how you got it." I'd have preferred mud-encrusted chain mail and scraps of silk to the dress I had, but the truth of this still applies to me as much.
Jane Jago
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was there ever any question. I am a huge fan girl when it comes to the great Terry, but the witches are my absolute favourites.

Nanny Ogg is my hero.

And I love the sly references throughout.
Denise
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
These stories manage to be funny and poignant. Loved it!
Joey Woolfardis
[First read: 19th August, 2011: 5 stars.
Second read: 25th July, 2013: 5 stars.]

Pratchett has an unbelievable knack for taking an idea that has been around for centuries, stretching it out with a rolling-pin and kneading it into something majestic and full of such originality you wonder how any could have missed it beforehand.

Those Witches are at it again. Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are back from travels to fight against the Lords and Ladies--Elegant folk, fair, beautiful... glamourous.
In te
Alfred Haplo
You find the sweet spot, you find the magic. Lords and Ladies* is as sweet as they come, with Pratchett and his coven finding their groove in this 4th of the Witches sub-series, also a direct sequel to Witches Abroad. In a DiscWorld first, an author’s note is included, with an extract here, (not spoiler) (view spoiler) ...more
David Sarkies
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy
Beauty is deceptive on the outside
19 December 2013

This book is very, very loosely based upon Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night Dream, and to be honest with you if he had not told me at the beginning of the book and at the end of the book I probably would not have realised it. The reason that I say that is because when I say loosely I mean really loosely. In fact the only thing about the book that seems to be connected to the play is that a group of working class people go a rehearse a play in the
Steven Harbin
Jan 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers, people who like humorous fantasy, satire
It seems like I enjoy each book that I read of Terry Pratchett's a little more than the previous one. While Witches Abroad still ranks as my favorite so far, I thought this follow up book in the Discworld Witches subgenre was just as good. Pratchett creates strong female characters and his everyday run of the mill people characters who rise to heroic hights when necessary are very believable. Of course not all his characters are heroic, the cowardly magician Rincewind being the notable exception ...more
Nicole
Mar 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: julia Andersen
A fun twist on the basic ideas found in A Midsummer Night's Dream. Granny Weatherwax was especially awesome in this one; she is such a wonderful character. Magrat did some surprising things, too.
I just have a little quibble about Pratchett's writing style--at times it can be like reading a play without enough attributions, the way he will set dialogue aside instead of attaching the action that goes with it. But his humour and other cleverness overcome that little distraction.
Peat
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah re-reading, how I love you so.

And Discworld. I love Discworld too. Particularly the Witches. A result of re-reading this series in reverse is realising just how much I wished he'd written more about them post-Small Gods, that being the point when I believe Pratchett really nailed story telling. We'll see how that stands when I get to Witches Abroad.

Also, I just realised I skipped Maskerade. Oops.

But back to the Witches! For me, this is a classic; a fantastic send-up of rural life and folk bel
Sara Norja
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read, excellent even on the Pratchett level. I love the witches, I love deconstruction of fairy/elf tropes, I love folk dancing and singing, so this was basically perfect reading, especially as I read most of it at a summer cabin. Much laughing out loud, much joy.
Vladimir
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few years back, I read one of the first books in the witches series, didn't like it as much as others, and then put Witches aside. I shouldn't have. Although, then I would probably have less discworld books to read for the first time now. But, anyway, it's a great one.
Anita Reads
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
[4.5 stars]

#14 Discworld #4 Witches
This is the fourth book in which we follow the Witches (Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick) and I really enjoyed being back with them.
In this one Granny Weatherwax has to fight the evil Fae Queen and Magrat is getting married to a king, and is trying to come to terms with becoming a Queen.
I feel like Pratchett does a good job in adding layers to the characters with each book you read. I love the direction he takes the characters and I’ve especial
Billy Young
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Esme and friends are out to save the Disk again. This time it's the elves turn to learn not to mess with the three good witches. Just don't tell granny I called her good.
All About Fantasy!: October BOTM Fae/Faeries Theme - Lords and Ladies 2 9 Oct 02, 2018 05:31PM
Goodreads Librari...: Edition trouble 14 46 Nov 29, 2011 05:36PM

• Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Sprouts of Wrath
  • Falling Sideways
  • The Tough Guide to Fantasyland
  • The Wizards of Odd

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
“If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” 4746 likes
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.” 3109 likes