Start by marking “Araby (Dubliners)” as Want to Read:
Araby (Dubliners)

Araby (Dubliners)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  3,621 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews

One of Ireland’s most famous writers was James Joyce, a novelist and poet who’s best known for his avant garde classic Ulysses, which was inspired by The Odyssey but written in a completely modern, stream of conscience way. Joyce was also acclaimed for his poetry, journalism, and novels like A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

This edition of Joyce’s Araby includes a T

Published July 15th 2014 by HarperPerennial Classics (first published 1914)

Bookdragon Sean
This is my favourite short story from Joyce’s excellent collection Dubliners because it shows the development of Western to Eastern perceptions in only just a few decades. And, not only that, the narrator grows from his initial state of ignorance and develops as a person, both intellectually and emotionally in just a few pages. It’s a great piece of writing.

Previously, all we have had with Victorian literature is a racist representation of the Orient. They saw it as underdeveloped compared to t
Ahmad Sharabiani
Araby, James Joyce
"Araby" is a short story by James Joyce published in his 1914 collection Dubliners.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: هفدهم نوامبر سال 2015 میلادی
این کتاب گویا با عنوان بازار عربی ، با ترجمه: محمدصادق رییسی، در 25 ص، از سوی نشر سولار، به چاپ رسیده، اما هنوز ترجمه ی فارسی را ندیده ام
ا. شربیانی
Lady Jane
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it
The most prevalent irony in this short story is the contrast between the dreamlike type of love he feels for the young woman, and the reality of his unrealistically high expectations. The metaphor for this irony is the bazaar Araby, after which the text is appropriately named. The prospect of attending Araby became a feverish obsession for the young narrator the minute the object of his affection expressed interest in the bazaar. When she told him she could not go, he made it his mission to atte ...more
Shima Garousi
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
my eyes burned with anguish and anger.
Michael Justine
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You know, I think we've all had our own araby. Your career can be your araby, or your marriage, or your first love etc. What amazes me is how universal the theme of araby is. The juxtaposition between dreams vs reality is certainly spot-on and it acknowledges the reality that our own araby may not be as grand or as beautiful as how we expect it to be when we get there.

If you analyze the story superficially, you may find it cliche, but if you look at the sub-text or the hidden meaning behind the
Bruce
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sean
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
But my body was like a harp and her words and gestures were like fingers running upon the wires.

I have never once thought that I would love a text, given to me in English lessons. But this, this is something special.

As short as it is, Joyce skilfully paints an ethereal image which is so simple yet, deep, down to its core. The delicacy of his words in every sentence to the eccentricity and depth of each character, succinctly manifests a thought provoking message by the end.

One of, if not the, m
Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann
A very strange story in my opinion. Pretty dark in some parts, there are some interesting and redeeming parts but all and all it was just okay.

UPDATE:
I had to read this a second time, good thing it was short but I wanted to see if the feeling it gave me was from the book or was just the feeling I had at the time. And it was definitely from the book. Though it was an uneasy feeling; any story that can evoke such feeling deserves another star than the 3 I gave it just for the story.

Nada Ghanim
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
“Gazing up into the darkness I saw myself as a creature driven and derided by vanity; and my eyes burned with anguish and anger.”
♡Ann  Matalines♡

Adoration and foolishness mixed together in a short story. He is expecting too much from a girl who is a figment of his imagination. I believe that expectation is the root of all heartaches and this further cemented my belief. I can see why Araby is adored by the readers. The frustration of first love and adoration. The pain of lost love that is never there.
Shayantani Das
The "enchanted days" of a boy comes to an end when he comes face to face with the material realities of the Eastern enchantment of the "Araby" bazaar. Self deluding blindness and self inflating romanticism terminates in disillusionment and self disdain. The language of the text is really beautiful.
Rick
The unnamed protagonist in "Araby" is a boy who is just starting to come into his sexual identity. Through his first-person narration, we are immersed at the start of the story in the drab life that people live on North Richmond Street, which seems to be illuminated only by the verve and imagination of the children who, despite the growing darkness that comes during the winter months, insist on playing "until [their:] bodies glowed." Even though the conditions of this neighbourhood leave much to ...more
Jennifer M. Hartsock
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
The boy lives in a neighborhood full of houses that face each other, and Catholic children who fill the streets with noise. The boy is consumed by a beautiful girl, as well as her presence, beauty, and yearning to go to the bazaar.

When he mounts the staircase in the house, “the high cold empty gloomy rooms [liberate him]…” representing the Holy Spirit that dwells within the body that Joyce describes in an unflattering manner.

The journey to fulfill the Lord’s Will is an independent one. The boy “
Dalya Bordman
Araby is a short story that deals with a young boy's life in Ireland. It largely focuses on religion and juxtaposes holiness and profanity. The young boy is in love with his friend's sister and goes to the bizarre, Araby, in order to impress her because she cannot attend. In the end, the boy realizes that the bizarre is ordinary and all of his dreams and hopes about it have fallen short. Thus, Araby taught me the importance of juxtaposition. Because Joyce paired things together, like sex and lov ...more
Nouran Gaafar
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
The protagonist is a coming-of-age kid who lives too much in his head and we see him faced with disappointment and anger. I think everyone can relate to how he feels, whether towards his love interest or the expectations he puts up on the Araby bazaar. Aren't all the kids like that?

I loved the emotions it evoked in me through Joyce's elegant use of words and literary expressions. This is probably my favourite line: "But my body was like a harp and her words and gestures were like fingers running
Sarah Marie
Araby by James Joyce

4 stars

This short story follows a young Irish boy going through his first infatuation. This is a beautiful written story that spoke to me deeply. I personally took away that life will cause you to face hardships, but your hardships mean nothing because in the big World you are just a nameless boy or girl in the vastness of the world. I really enjoyed this one. I'm definitely going to be looking into other works by Joyce, particularly his short stories.

Alaa Ibrahem
I have been at Araby a lot, dude.
Kadbury
The short story with a pleasuring yourself scene which doesn't seem like a pleasuring oneself scene because it's so poetic.
Realini
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Araby by James Joyce
MESMERIZING

This is an extremely beautiful short story by the writer who scholars consider to be the best creator of English literature, for at least the 20th century. There would also be Marcel Proust to consider for the top spot, and for me, Proust is the greatest author that I have read, albeit he wrote in French and is not a contender for the English literature trophy.
I have read in How Proust Can Change Your Life by Alain de Botton that Proust and Joyce met at a party and
Ainsley Dobson
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 out of 5 stars

This story was just very underwhelming. My English course is finally beginning our section on short stories and films, and I was so excited, but then we had to go and read this and ruin my good mood.

I know, I know, that's a little dramatic, but in all honesty it's the truth. I went into this story expecting for it to be interesting in the very least, and it didn't even deliver on that. The entire story is basically about a young Irish boy who has been obsessed with his friends
dc craig
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Topically speaking, subtle references to clerical child abuse and homosexuality make Araby as relevant now as it was when it was published in the first part of the twentieth century. Thematically also, the story takes on contemporary relevance: The story is a first-person narrative about a boy who leaves the confines of his religiously-framed childhood and ventures to the exotic land of 'Araby', really a travelling fair/marketplace. Along the way, he discovers that there is no romantic ideal tha ...more
Gary
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Here is a writer with real stories and a way with words.

"The career of our play brought us through the dark muddy lanes behind the houses where we ran the gauntlet of the rough tribes from the cottages, to the back doors of the dark dripping gardens where odours arose from the ashpits, to the dark odorous stables where a coachman smoothed and combed the horse or shook music from the buckled harness.”

So much in a line!
Brandon Scott
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a very interesting coming of age story. It perfectly highlights the confusion of a young boy who is reaching the point in his life where everything changes. I thought it was well-written and highly relatable. But, it could've been done better. In fact, I read John Boyne's version of "Araby" as well, and I thought it was better than the original. Maybe it's because it was written more recently, but nonetheless, it was a perfectly crafted story and deserved 5/5 stars.
Nina Rose
Picture me not impressed. I read an interesting analysis about this though :P

I guess short stories are not really my thing lol.
Baukje IJpenga
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it

While I already 'kind of' liked the story when I read it for the first time, I've come to appreciate it much more after we've discussed it in class and dissected some of the layers that I couldn't (bother to) find on my own. I always like to find the symbolism in texts, but some help is often needed. I particularly liked the clever religious elements that have been weaved into the story.

Although the language presented some challenges for me, it's always fun to learn new ways of using idioms and
Romynique
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I am not a big fan of short stories yet had to read this story for an assignment. The writing style that included confusing punctuation and overly difficult jargon, did not make this an easy read for me.

Yet I do applaud the writer for the emotional development the protagonists underwent in just a few pages. He captured the emotions and intellect in a interesting and clear way and showed the development in such a way that while I came near the end, I was indeed curious and even smiling somewhat.
Henk Vonk
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
On the eve of puberty, the young and nameless narrator finds himself obsessed with Mangan's sister. She is pretty and exotic to him, and her unattainability plays perfectly into his hunger for adulthood, for affection; for love. By the end it becomes clear that his misguided notions of love have driven him not into her arms, but into a state of realization of his vanity. He now understands that obsession is not love and his infatuation was only skin-deep. You'd almost feel bad for him, but that' ...more
Marieke Wieringa
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This short story is about a subject that most books are about, love. Yet there is something different from this to other stories. Maybe it is because it doesn’t end like you hope or suspect, or because it is simply too short to really get into. All I know is that this was one of the few short stories that I didn’t hate after reading it, although it isn’t one of my favorites either.
Thijs Verbaas
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
From the writer's standpoint an interesting decision to portray the thoughts of a relatively young boy in such an adult manner. This combining with the descriptiveness through use of an abundance of adjectives makes for a vivid image in the mind's eye. Though I must say that I was entirely put off by the sudden end to the story, but such is the nature of a short story I suppose.
Guus Jepkema
May 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Although it is a short story, I didn't get much of the book. It's not something I would read again, I'm probably missing a lot of important literary details but for someone who reads for the plot it wasn't all too good.

However, this is my opinion and other people will mostly have a good time reading it.
  • A&P: Lust in the Aisles
  • Young Goodman Brown
  • The Rocking Horse Winner (Travelman Classics)
  • The Prophet's Hair
  • Red as Blood and White as Bone
  • The Knife's Edge
  • The U.S. Constitution: And Fascinating Facts about It
  • The Signalman
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • Sailing to Byzantium
James Joyce, Irish novelist, noted for his experimental use of language in such works as Ulysses (1922) and Finnegans Wake (1939). Joyce's technical innovations in the art of the novel include an extensive use of interior monologue; he used a complex network of symbolic parallels drawn from the mythology, history, and literature, and created a unique language of invented words, puns, and allusions ...more
More about James Joyce...

“Her name sprang to my lips at moments in strange prayers and praises which I myself did not understand. My eyes were often full of tears (I could not tell why) and at times a flood from my heart seemed to pour itself out into my bosom. I thought little of the future. I did not know whether I would ever speak to her or not or, if I spoke to her, how I could tell her of my confused adoration.” 22 likes
“My body was like a harp and her words and gestures were like fingers running upon the wires.” 11 likes