Start by marking “Araby” as Want to Read:
Araby

Araby

One of Ireland’s most famous writers was James Joyce, a novelist and poet who’s best known for his avant garde classic Ulysses, which was inspired by The Odyssey but written in a completely modern, stream of conscience way. Joyce was also acclaimed for his poetry, journalism, and novels like A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

This edition of Joyce’s Araby includes a T

Published July 15th 2014 by HarperPerennial Classics (first published 1914)

Start your review of Araby
Sean Barrs
This is my favourite short story from Joyce’s excellent collection Dubliners because it shows the development of Western to Eastern perceptions in only just a few decades. And, not only that, the narrator grows from his initial state of ignorance and develops as a person, both intellectually and emotionally in just a few pages. It’s a great piece of writing.

Previously, all we have had with Victorian literature is a racist representation of the Orient. They saw it as underdeveloped compared to t
Lady Jane
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it
The most prevalent irony in this short story is the contrast between the dreamlike type of love he feels for the young woman, and the reality of his unrealistically high expectations. The metaphor for this irony is the bazaar Araby, after which the text is appropriately named. The prospect of attending Araby became a feverish obsession for the young narrator the minute the object of his affection expressed interest in the bazaar. When she told him she could not go, he made it his mission to atte ...more
Khush
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even though this beautifully worded story ends on a sad note, its life still goes on. After all there is nothing tragic happened to whatever he has with the girl. She is still there, he will again see her. It is just an unlucky moment that makes him feel unwanted at the bazaar, too soon he gives up and wallows in resentment. But we know him better, we have seen very definitive streaks of a romancer in him– “My eyes were often full of tears (I could not tell why) and at times a flood from my hear ...more
Justine
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You know, I think we've all had our own araby. Your career can be your araby, or your marriage, or your first love etc. What amazes me is how universal the theme of araby is. The juxtaposition between dreams vs reality is certainly spot-on and it acknowledges the reality that our own araby may not be as grand or as beautiful as how we expect it to be when we get there.

If you analyze the story superficially, you may find it cliche, but if you look at the sub-text or the hidden meaning behind the
Emer (A Little Haze)
"I had never spoken to her, except for a few casual words, and yet her name was like a summons to all my foolish blood."

Beautifully written short. Contrasts the dreams and aspirations of young love with the coldness of seemingly hopeless realities. Definitely one to be mulled over though to fully appreciate all that is both written and not written.

three stars

READ IT HERE

Okay Mr Joyce. I'm game if you are. Time to start reading more of your shorter works!

Shima GRC
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
my eyes burned with anguish and anger.
mwana
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I came upon this in a textbook called The Story and Its Writer aka Mwana's way to complete her read-200-books challenge.

I have more to say about Joyce than I do about this short story- which is part of the collection Dubliners. I will say it's so goddamn magical, my mind swooned.

The space of sky above us was the colour of ever-changing violet and towards it the lamps of the street lifted their feeble lanterns.

The narrator is infatuated with a neighbour and he has the reaction I ordinarily have
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Mm, well that was incredibly boring.

I truly felt nothing while reading this short story. I get the point, but I also feel like it could have been much better delivered. The writing style and descriptions are nice enough, but it takes more than a nice setting and words for me to enjoy a short story.
Sean
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
But my body was like a harp and her words and gestures were like fingers running upon the wires.

I have never once thought that I would love a text, given to me in English lessons. But this, this is something special.

As short as it is, Joyce skilfully paints an ethereal image which is so simple yet, deep, down to its core. The delicacy of his words in every sentence to the eccentricity and depth of each character, succinctly manifests a thought provoking message by the end.

One of, if not the, m
Bruce
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann
A very strange story in my opinion. Pretty dark in some parts, there are some interesting and redeeming parts but all and all it was just okay.

UPDATE:
I had to read this a second time, good thing it was short but I wanted to see if the feeling it gave me was from the book or was just the feeling I had at the time. And it was definitely from the book. Though it was an uneasy feeling; any story that can evoke such feeling deserves another star than the 3 I gave it just for the story.

Cindy Rollins
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I see many Literary Life Podcast (https://www.theliterary.life) did not like this story. Hang in there. The episode drops August 16, 2019 and I think you may, at the very least, find the story is deeper than it seems. ...more
Kadbury
The short story with a pleasuring yourself scene which doesn't seem like a pleasuring oneself scene because it's so poetic.
Nada Ghanim
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
“Gazing up into the darkness I saw myself as a creature driven and derided by vanity; and my eyes burned with anguish and anger.”
Rick
Aug 19, 2010 rated it liked it
The unnamed protagonist in "Araby" is a boy who is just starting to come into his sexual identity. Through his first-person narration, we are immersed at the start of the story in the drab life that people live on North Richmond Street, which seems to be illuminated only by the verve and imagination of the children who, despite the growing darkness that comes during the winter months, insist on playing "until [their:] bodies glowed." Even though the conditions of this neighbourhood leave much to ...more
♡Ann  Matalines♡
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
. I did not know whether I would ever speak to her or not or, if I spoke to her, how I could tell her of my confused adoration.

Adoration and foolishness mixed together in a short story. He is expecting too much from a girl who is a figment of his imagination. I believe that expectation is the root of all heartaches and this further cemented my belief. I can see why Araby is adored by the readers. The frustration of first love and adoration. The pain of lost love that is never there.
Sarah Marie
Araby by James Joyce

4 stars

This short story follows a young Irish boy going through his first infatuation. This is a beautiful written story that spoke to me deeply. I personally took away that life will cause you to face hardships, but your hardships mean nothing because in the big World you are just a nameless boy or girl in the vastness of the world. I really enjoyed this one. I'm definitely going to be looking into other works by Joyce, particularly his short stories.

Shayantani
The "enchanted days" of a boy comes to an end when he comes face to face with the material realities of the Eastern enchantment of the "Araby" bazaar. Self deluding blindness and self inflating romanticism terminates in disillusionment and self disdain. The language of the text is really beautiful.
Angela
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
This story did not vibe with me, and I barely understood it. Joyce is pretty infuriating to my typical taste in literature from what I’ve seen so far, but I am now deterred from reading any of his longer works.
Büşra
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes we love the idea of something more than the thing itself. This has to be one of my all time favorite short stories. Definitely worth a read.
N.KH #
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
undoubtedly the language by which this story is written is quite enchanting ,mesmerizing and charming . i could not help not to smile due to that divine beauty. The story itself revolves around a boy who adores a lady from the bottom of his heart till he becomes entirely obsessed with her. "Her name sprang to my lips at moments in strange prayers and praises which I myself did not understand. My eyes were often full of tears I could not tell why and at times a flood from my heart seemed to pour ...more
Nada Majdy
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute short story about a boy who fancies a girl that tells him about this bazar called Araby, he promises to bring her something from that bazar as she can't go. The story is beautifully written, my only comment on it: I wish it was longer. This was my first time to read a book by an Irish author, heard it as an audio book and I enjoyed the Irish accent told by: John Telfer.
Ps I have to say; what first caught my Attention to this story is its name "Araby" as I'm an Arab myself, yes I'm one of
Jennifer M. Hartsock
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
The boy lives in a neighborhood full of houses that face each other, and Catholic children who fill the streets with noise. The boy is consumed by a beautiful girl, as well as her presence, beauty, and yearning to go to the bazaar.

When he mounts the staircase in the house, “the high cold empty gloomy rooms [liberate him]…” representing the Holy Spirit that dwells within the body that Joyce describes in an unflattering manner.

The journey to fulfill the Lord’s Will is an independent one. The boy “
Dalya Bordman
Araby is a short story that deals with a young boy's life in Ireland. It largely focuses on religion and juxtaposes holiness and profanity. The young boy is in love with his friend's sister and goes to the bizarre, Araby, in order to impress her because she cannot attend. In the end, the boy realizes that the bizarre is ordinary and all of his dreams and hopes about it have fallen short. Thus, Araby taught me the importance of juxtaposition. Because Joyce paired things together, like sex and lov ...more
Nouran
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
The protagonist is a coming-of-age kid who lives too much in his head and we see him faced with disappointment and anger. I think everyone can relate to how he feels, whether towards his love interest or the expectations he puts up on the Araby bazaar. Aren't all kids like that?

I loved the emotions it evoked in me through Joyce's elegant use of words and literary expressions. This is probably my favourite line: "But my body was like a harp and her words and gestures were like fingers running upo
Alaa Ibrahem
I have been at Araby a lot, dude.
Snooty1
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-books, audiobook
A young man besotted by a girl in his neighborhood as well as the idea of the Araby fare.
Steven Godin
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Read online. For anyone interested the link is below.
Michael Kress
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1900-1919
"In the particular is contained the universal." -James Joyce

Great fiction is the embodiment of this quote. The first fiction authors I became obsessed with were horror authors like Stephen King and Clive Barker. What appealed to me was not the horror aspect of their writing. (Christine is one of my all-time favorite books, but I couldn't care less about a self-driving car that kills people. I always thought the idea was corny.) It was that I could relate to the characters; that I could envision
Arisarah
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: shortstories
So smart and so close to reality. It may seem simple and boring at first, but it's not.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A&P: Lust in the Aisles
  • The Story of an Hour
  • Hills Like White Elephants
  • A Rose for Emily
  • The Garden Party
  • The Rocking Horse Winner (Travelman Classics)
  • The Necklace
  • Paul's Case
  • Sonny's Blues
  • Odour of Chrysanthemums
  • Everyday Use
James Joyce, Irish novelist, noted for his experimental use of language in such works as Ulysses (1922) and Finnegans Wake (1939). Joyce's technical innovations in the art of the novel include an extensive use of interior monologue; he used a complex network of symbolic parallels drawn from the mythology, history, and literature, and created a unique language of invented words, puns, and allusions ...more