Start by marking “Love” as Want to Read:
Love

Love

Poems from the Film Il Postino

The poems collected in this book are at the heart of the film Il Postino, a cinematic fantasy spun from an apocryphal incident in the life of the Chilean poet and Nobel laureate, Pablo Neruda. Together they show why many consider Neruda to be the finest love poet of the century. Few writers of any age have described the pleasures and torments
Published December 7th 1995 by Harvill Press (first published May 19th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love

Julz
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tonight I can write the saddest lines.

Write, for example, 'The night is shattered,
and the blue stars shiver in the distance.'

The night wind revolves in the sky and sings.

Tonight I can write the saddest lines.
I loved her, and sometimes she loved me too.

Through nights like this one I held her in my arms.
I kissed her again and again under the endless sky.

She loved me, and sometimes I loved her too.
How could one not have loved her great still eyes?

To think that
metaphor
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, pablo-neruda
and something started in my soul,
fever or forgotten wings,
And I, infinitesimal being,
drunk with the great starry
void,
likeness, image of
mystery,
felt myself a pure part
of the abyss,
I wheeled with the stars,
my heart broke loose on the wind.

The birds of night peck at the first stars
that flash like my soul when I love you.
rahul
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Reading the rains
and Neruda
in the silence of an unending,
still monster
that moves so slowly
as if every inch of ground covered
was to leave the poet
a mile behind.

PS : Third reading and first since having watched the brilliant movie.

I Like For You To Be Still

I like for you to be still
It is as though you are absent
And you hear me from far away
And my voice does not touch you
It seems as though your eyes had flown away
And it seems that a kiss had sealed your mouth
As all things are filled with my soul
Y
Suraia Munia
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
i wish i knew spanish. I read the poems in English but Neruda is Neruda. Simply beautiful!
Krista Baetiong Tungol
This book contains ten poems of Pablo Neruda used in the film Il Postino (The Postman) and read by several Hollywood celebrities in its soundtrack. I remember listening to it with my bestfriend during our college days and gushing over how brilliantly Neruda had penned poems about passionate love.

My favorite poem of his will always be ”Tonight I Can Write”, which is included in this collection, although this verse from “Poetry” (also in this book) also often gets to me every time I come across i
Christy
Oct 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He writes with a passion beyond compare. His poetry touches me. I love Pablo Neruda. I am not a huge fan of poetry. The only books of poetry I own are written by Neruda. His books are like beautifully written love stories. Love him love him love him.
Debbie Robson
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love: Ten Poems by Pablo Neruda is obviously a short collection but an interesting one, if only for the simple fact that the selection of poems has been dictated by cinematic choice rather than a theme or themes that the poet or editor wanted to explore.
The movie these marvellous poems feature in is The Postman (not the Kevin Costner movie) but Il Positano, an Italian film released in 1994 that I’ve decided (after reading the poems) that I must see. And whose main star Massimo Troisi postponed
Mia
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the translations were great. My favorite poems include "Fabula de la Sirena y los Borrachos" and "Puedo Escribir los Versos..." I have to admit that I liked "Fabula" better in English and "Versos" better in Spanish. The language definitely changes the overall effect/impact.
Sue
Apr 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2012
This very brief book of poetry presents odes to love of all types, physical, metaphysical, love of nature, that first moment of meeting the love of poetry itself. "Poetry" is one of my favorites.
Zuberino
The shortest of short Neruda collections. Three of my favourites here were translated, naturally, by W.S. Merwin: "Walking around" (the salaryman's lament: It happens that I am tired of being a man), the love lyric Tonight I can write the saddest lines, and the thrilling imagery of that poem that starts:

Leaning into the afternoons I cast my sad nets
towards your oceanic eyes

The best poems and the best lines have a beauty that is almost liquid... looking over at one's lover in the morning (Step
~Nadia~♥when you've suffered a great deal in life, each additional pain is both unbearable and trifling♥~
Totes awesome, used it to practice my Spanish, I've been told that I really should watch the movie, maybe I will someday
Hasan Makhzoum
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The great philosopher Wittgenstein used to say that the limits of your language are the limits of your world.. And Tim Robbins wrote that "Our world isn't made of earth, air and water or even molecules and atoms; our world is made of language"..
Well, Philosophy books nurture me, feed my passion for knowledge and quench my persistent intellectual curiosity, but Neruda's poetry expands the world to me..

"A single sliver,
of you between my fingers
sifts like sand,
the river bend of your waist

the carvin
Amey
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Leaning into the afternoons...

Leaning into the afternoons I cast my sad nets
towards your oceanic eyes.

There in the highest blaze my solitude lengthens and flames,
its arms turning like a drowning man's.

I send out red signals across your absent eyes
that wave like the sea or the beach by a lighthouse.

You keep only darkness, my distant female,
from your regard sometimes the coast of dread emerges.

Leaning into the afternoons I fling my sad nets
to that sea that is thrashed by your oceanic eyes.

The bird
Souravi Sarkar
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't think anyone ever understood love like Pablo Neruda did.He has described every little emotion associated with love in his poems.His love is sometimes like the ones we see in movies while some of them are so close to the way we feel in real life.He is the reason I fell in love with poetry all over again.
Steven Godin
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amour, poetry, chile-peru
Another great collection from my favourite poet.
Anouk
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Sensual and heartwarming. Neruda is one of the best poet I've read. His pieces come from the simplest feelings, ideas and things revolve around him. But he always manages to bring richness and voluptuous words. Excellent book for beginners to Neruda!
Moushumi Ghosh
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Found the book at a bookshop in Calcutta. Which is kind of not surprising.

Another lovely trip to the land Pablo Neruda. Walking through some of the familiar terrain was both nostalgic and beautiful. I responded to these poems exactly like the way I responded the first time I read Neruda: I fell in love all over again.
Alex
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neruda's style has always been captivating to me. He illustrates scenes that are beautiful, yet relatable, and puts into words feelings that are simple yet profound. This collection of ten poems, in English and Spanish side by side, is lovely and well-ordered, with an interesting arc of themes and a concluding poem that seems maybe out of place but also appropriate. An enjoyable, quick read.
Kevin Whitten
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
I expected to love it, We ( I am sure like a lot of folks ) had a Neruda poem read at our wedding. Yeah, you know the one. Anyways I expected another poem in this book to jump off the page and knock me on my ass the way that one did, but that didn't really happen. I enjoyed it and liked the short biography page at the end - but there wasn't any magic.
Ashok Krishna
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not going to pretend that I love Pablo Neruda or this work. Some of the poems sound as if someone simply threw random flowery words together and wrote them down when they formed a proper sentence. Either read such works in their original language or should skip them.
Kevin Johnson
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely verse. Also helped me reconnect with my Spanish. I questioned some of the translation, though.
Suman Das
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just speechless...
Amaranthine Poetry
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
True Piece of Romance. Every word and piece is powerful. Every translator has done a phenomenal job, as we all know how misleading literal translation can be. Truly heartfelt.
MrGibson
Jul 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy poetry
I studied one of Neruda's poems with Lourdes, 'Leaning into the Afternoons...' and we discussed many things about the poem including his use of extended metaphors. There are so many ways to unpack his poetry and each time it yields new rewards, a new insight, a slightly different and deeper meaning than the one first thought of. Even discussing the title the other day people in the class made me think of ways of understanding this poem that I had not thought of. He is a poet that I can go back t ...more
Shriya
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are very few poets in the world that you can claim to read in a state of half sleep, early in the morning and who can still fill your heart with their words, bewitch your senses and charm your imagination the way Pablo Neruda does. Apart from the poems of love and beauty, what really captured me in this collection was this particular poem about the mermaid and the drunks. An outwardly creature tormented by the world, surprised by how cruel humans can be, how inebriated they can be blind to ...more
Ynna
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
As of now I have only read one of Pablo Neruda's poetry collections, The Captain's Verses, which was mesmerizing. This was s much shorter collection and the poems didn't speak to me as powerfully as those in The Captain's Verses, however I can't deny Neruda's ability to put into words such contrasting feelings of love and joy versus despair and misery. My favorite poem from this collection is called "Poetry" and in particular this stanza:

And I, infinitesimal being,
drunk with the great starry
voi
Irene Daguno
Jul 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a collection of some of the poems from the movie of the same title. it's not really just about love - or romantic love to be specific. not that there's something wrong with romantic love, just that i think it's more than romance. my most favorite piece in the book? "poetry". very powerful. "...but something started in my soul, fever or forgotten wings... and i, infinitesimal being, drunk with the great starry void, likeness, image of mystery, felt myself a pure part of the abyss, i wheeled with ...more
Con
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this book that would do it justice? The back cover describes Neruda as a monster, which is an understatement. I'm curious to know why women love him so much. The answer is obvious of course, the sensuous appreciation and the unrestrained confident eroticism. But I can't see a woman loving Neruda for the same reasons as a man. He elucidates the problems of manhood, concedes the weaknesses and offers no tangible solace while conceding nothing and standing firm as only a monste ...more
Megan RFA
Jul 10, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I was let down by this acclaimed poet and that saddens me. I'm not sure what I expected, but his work is only so-so to me. I'm sure a lot of it was lost in translation, and that only makes me even more sad that I don't speak Spanish well enough to read his original words. Granted, this is hardly a fair sampling of his work, but I was using it to determine whether or not I'd look into his writing further. Perhaps I'll revisit him in a few years.
« previous 1 3 next »

• What Are Big Girls Made Of?: Poems
  • This Connection of Everyone With Lungs
  • Selected Poems and Three Plays
  • Handwriting
Pablo Neruda was the pen name and, later, legal name of the Chilean writer and politician Neftalí Ricardo Reyes Basoalto. Neruda assumed his pen name as a teenager, partly because it was in vogue, partly to hide his poetry from his father, a rigid man who wanted his son to have a "practical" occupation. Neruda's pen name was derived from Czech writer and poet Jan Neruda; Pablo is thought to be fro ...more
“Love is so short, forgetting is so long.” 6679 likes