Start by marking “A Plague of Frogs: The Horrifying True Story” as Want to Read:
A Plague of Frogs: The Horrifying True Story

A Plague of Frogs: The Horrifying True Story

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  91 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
In the summer of 1995, a group of Minnesota children came upon a pond populated by frogs with nine legs, missing legs, a row of limbs fanning out from their backsides, and eyes in the wrong places. Since then, deformed frogs have been turning up in lakes around the world. Written by the only journalist granted access to secret hot spots where these deformed frogs are teste ...more
Published March 15th 2000 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about A Plague of Frogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Plague of Frogs

Brent
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
A ribbiting account of human nature, egos, pet hypotheses, and how the scientific process really works. Great science thriller. Yes, that is a genre. In the same vein as The Hot Zone by Richard Preston.

I am still trying to find out where one of the sites in this book is. It should be in my neighborhood, but the author obviously changed just enough facts to protect the family that lives on this lake.
Jennifer Boyce
When I first picked up this book, I couldn't put it down. Then I got about 3/4 of the way through it, got bored, and set it down for a few months. As I'm out of books to read, I picked this one up again figuring I'd read a few more pages of it but discovered that I couldn't put it down again.

This story follows the mysteries of the Minnesota frog deformities. A Plague of Frogs analyzes all of the events leading up to the original discovery of the frogs and all of the research that went into tryi
Simone
Oct 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Yes, finally done. As with many science stories it was a bit on the technical side, but gets tired of deformed frogs? This was intersting not only in regards to the mutagenesis problem but also a very good example of how science (meaning scientists) work. It was funny to read that the egos I experienced in the field are found everywhere! Everyone wants to be right. Not surprisingly, science is not that simple.
Sunny Bundy
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
I think I wasn't the target market for this book. I found it interesting, but the level of detail was way, way too much. I kept expecting all the seemingly needless detail to build to some gripping conclusion, but it didn't. For the most part, the mundane details weren't even scientific; they were about government beurocracy and academic's personalities and feuds. The book cold easily have been half as long and still told the same story in a more succinct and compelling way.
J.M.
May 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Interesting look at what appeared to be a sudden rise in deformities in frogs in the northern US and Canada in the mid-1990's. Learned more about frogs than I'd ever care to know! But it was well-written and informative, and held my interest to the end.
Andrea
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
I give up after trying to finish this for the last two months. it got to a place where it was all political nonsense and pride stopping progress and I just could not get motivated to plough through it all. sorry earth.
Victoria
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
More like 3+ stars. Extremely informative! Read during a non-fiction phase and so glad I stumbled across it.
Annette
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting and cogent. Did not hold my interest as well as I would like. Good overview of the general debate.
Oct 15, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is very interesting to me, but you arent a nerdy scientist you probably wont care.
Kristi
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
The subject was interesting, but the book kind of meandered and never really came to any conclusions.
Sara
rated it did not like it
Nov 25, 2009
Sep 24, 2014
Kimberly Knepper
Jun 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
William Souder is the author of three books: "A Plague of Frogs," "Under a Wild Sky" (Pulitzer Finalist), and "On a Farther Shore: The Life and Legacy of Rachel Carson." He lives in Grant, Minnesota.
More about William Souder...