Start by marking “Academy 7” as Want to Read:
Academy 7

Academy 7

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  6,404 Ratings  ·  771 Reviews
With a past too terrible to speak of, and a bleak, lonely future ahead of her, Aerin Renning is shocked to find she has earned a place at the most exclusive school in the universe. Aerin excels at Academy 7 in all but debate, where Dane Madousin?son of one of the most powerful men in the Alliance? consistently outtalks her. Fortunately Aerin consistently outwits him at spa ...more
Published May 14th 2009 by Speak

To ask other readers questions about Academy 7, please sign up.
Brandy I think so. I checked the author's page and it looks like she has only written 4 books so far, but none of them are listed as a series.

Tamora Pierce
Nov 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-ya-yr
Don't let the cover fool you--and it does, completely. It's science fiction. I think there probably is romance, too, but the science fiction is the main element. The story snaps along. It believably shows how the philosophical split between the brightest students in the ruling stellar government's top academy resulted in revolution, and how their children, all unknowing, must live with the results. There's plenty to think about in regard to governments and the governed, and some thought-provokin ...more
Karin
Every young citizen of the Alliance between the ages of sixteen and seventeen is given the Academy Entrance Exam. The results of the test determines which Academy the student will attend. Academy 7 is the most prestigious school in all of the Alliance and only the students with the top 50 scores are invited to attend each year.

Aerin Renning and Dane Madousin both receive invitations to Academy 7 and both decide to accept for their own, very different, reasons. Aerin has some deep, dark secrets t
Jessica
First of all, I enjoyed the writing style in Academy 7. It didn't feel like the typical young adult book - the writing and vocabulary seemed more mature. I also appreciated the subtle building of characters through their actions and dialogue.

The futuristic setting at an elite school and the two well constructed characters, each with different histories, caught my attention immediately. Unfortunately, what goes on between the two of them takes up most of the story. I would have liked to understan
TheBookSmugglers
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers

Since the age of eleven, all Aerin has known is pain and brutality. After their ship crashes on the x-factor planet of Vizhan, Aerin's father - the only family and other person she knows in the entire universe - dies, and Aerin is sold into slavery. Six years have passed since that terrible day, and Aerin has learned to fight, to fend for herself, and, most importantly, how to break free. Making a desperate last gambit for her freedom, Aerin is able to sa
Nikki
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
jesse
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites

the book was really good (though i noticed that i change the rating on this book a lot of times). i read it in one sitting that's how much it captivated my interest. there wasn't much action or suspense though. but that was ok. there are some really interesting debate scenes though, which gives the reader food for thought.

i was a little disappointed that the main characters were the only ones who were fleshed out. i would have liked to read more pages dedicated to dane's dad for example. while i
Reynje

Academy 7 was a step outside of my usual reading tastes, but one I’m glad I took. I am all about expanding my book horizons, these days.

The story revolves around two central characters, Aerin Renning and Dane Madousin, who initially manifest with distinct polarity. Aerin is an orphaned fugitive, making a desperate escape from years of slavery on a despotic planet that has cast off technology and progress in favour of cruelty and “culling”. Dane is the son of a decorated military general, a gifte
Kay
Sep 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
There is only one thing I hate about this book: it's too damn short! I could have kept on reading Academy 7 for another 500 pages - it was just that good.

Don't be fooled by the cover: Academy 7 is Science Fiction YA. But like all good Science Fiction it is about so much more than space, it's about character. And even while it is all about character, it's also about politics, and intelligence, and standing up and thinking for yourself. Academy 7 managed to weave a complex world behind the main na
Amanda
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW. Is the cover misleading or what? LOL It's definitely a sort of science fiction romance book but it is definitely not how the cover portrays the book. I think this might the only science fiction book that didn't confuse me with a bunch of terms!

1. I love Aerin and Dane's relationship. They don't fall in love right away like most teens in young adult books. They both have special abilities that the other doesn't have which is nice. They sort of complete each other (like a puzzle piece) :D
2. I
Kristi
Nov 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-arc, signed-arcs
I’m not usually a science fiction literature fan, but Academy 7 has become an exception. Contrary to their futuristic setting the characters are easily relatable to today’s teen. They have many of the same struggles, dreams and desires. Aerin and Dane were well developed and captivating characters to read about.

From the synopsis I was expecting more sinister plot twist than what the story ultimately revealed, but I still really enjoyed the seamlessly intertwined plot that Osterlund surprised me
Sophia Sardothien
I was pretty surprise when I found out this is a sci-Fi novel. It was a fun entertaining read but wasn't the best. The romance was not INSTA love which I really appreciate however it was a little bit too slow xD
Brodie
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the few.... perhaps only (my memory really sucks sometimes) science fiction books I've read. And loved every page of it. The cover art and synopsis don't really give much indication that this book is science fiction, but whether you're a sci-fi or not, this is a book for every fan of YA.

Aerin Renning and Dane Madousin are invited to attend the most-exclusive school in the Universe: Academy 7. They accept the honour, but both are running or hiding away from something - .harbouring
Susana
Originally posted at PaperbackWonderland

This was quite the addictive story.
Set in a futuristic sci-fi future, in which space is used just like any other road, spaceships are as common as cars are in our days, and education is considered fundamental in the development of humankind's future (someone should give this book to the Portuguese education minister...).

There is a lot of messages in this book, notwithstanding the power of education, and friendship.
Do not think however, that this ends up b
Libro Joven
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Instructions to prepare an Academy 7 à l’orange:

-Take one really fresh Harry Potter and spread it over one cover. Make sure it is absolutely clean of Voldemorts and Prophecies.

-Spread over that a ripe Star Wars. It must have a good dose of spaceships, or else the dish wouldn’t be tasteful. Take away from it the Jedi and the Prophecies, and spread over that a very juicy Anakin Skywalker. It would be better if it was one taken from Attack of the Clones: young, very handsome, a little know-it-all,
Sherwood Smith
Finished last night. I so would have loved this book as a teen: a boy and girl, both brilliant, both driven to excel, in competition then driven toward friendship because of desperate circumstances.

As an adult reader I could have wished for more resolution, though if this is the first book of a series (and I hope it is) the open threads are understandable. I also wish I could have seen more of the school. The story really focused in on Aerin and Dane and their problems--but one of the joys of sc
Elevetha
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone on the planet and in the far reaches of space and all the possible alternate universes
Recommended to Elevetha by: Miss Clark
I'm not sure I can express how much I love this book and these characters. Or how much I want a sequel. It's a really good book and amazing writing that pulls you in and makes you want more. The characters are so well written; their friendship, flaws, and growth are wonderful. Love it! Highly recommended.

Fan Mix

1.All I need (Within Temptation) - Aerin
2. Be Still (The Fray) - Dane’s POV
3.In My Veins (Andrew Belle ft. Erin Mcarly) - Dane's POV & Aerin
4.Lifeline (Mat Kearney) - Aerin & Dan
johanna
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fi romance lovers.
Recommended to johanna by: Elevetha
It had flaws, but I didn't have the mental capacity or the inclination at 12AM to pick them out. All in all I liked it. Especially the middle part for some reason (when things were starting to make sense but there were still massive secrets you didn't know). The end seemed a bit empty.
Estara
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: umm
Recommended to Estara by: The Booksmugglers
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2013
Kim
Dec 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Sometime in the unidentified future, a consortium of planets known as the Alliance runs the universe. Led by the a group of appointed leaders known as the Council, the Alliance enforces a charter designed to encourage peace, harmony and unity among the planets -- that is, when politics doesn't get in the way.

Sound familiar? Probably: because Gene Roddenberry created a little something like it called Star Trek more than half a century ago.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then Anne
Swati
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Set in the futuristic world, where life is not restricted to one planet only but extends to other planets as well, this is a blend of science fiction, romance and mystery.

It narrates the story of Aerin Renning, a girl with a tough past and Dane Madousin, a boy with a lot to live up to. There story seamlessly merges with the fictitious world the author has created, that you are drawn into.

It is confusing in the beginning but the mind of the reader grasps the concept soon enough, If I could sum up

geekgirl
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally Posted on my blog here

This was a great read! Don't let the cover fool you (this coming from a self-proclaimed Cover-Judger), it's not what it appears to be. It appears to be a (possibly) historical-type romance. In actuality, it's a gripping science-fiction adventure.

This was thrilling and I loved it.

The characters come from completely different worlds--Aerin, an on-the-run ex-slave, and Dane, an unloved second son to a very wealthy and powerful man.

Against all odds, both Aerin and Da
Hayden
I wanted to like this more than I did, mainly because it's teen sci fi that actually takes place in space, which is kind of rare. Two teens--one essentially a refugee, the other the son of a very powerful man--are accepted to Academy 7, the most prestigious school in the universe.* After a rocky start, they become friends, find out each others' secrets, and fall in love.

With this cover I doubt I'll ever convince a boy to read it, though there are some halfway decent space chases and such. Mainly
Katie
Four stars for enjoyment, though the story itself was rather slight. I would've loved this as a full blown school story! I loved how they were taught and the glimpses we had of the teachers. There just wasn't enough of that.

And the romance was also pretty slight, which was disappointing because it's totally my kind of ship.

Might check out more by the author.
Jade Walker
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rated-a
First off, I will start the book by pointing out to confused readers that despite the absolutely gorgeous cover suggests, this book is not a contemporary/historical novel. On the contrary, it is set very far into the future, though the exact date is never stated. The book also suggests that romance plays a massive part in the novel, an idea I disagree on.

I have a thing about books with spaceships and planets and space and stuff. I really do, I actually originally ordered this book thinking it wa
Arminzerella
Gina Denny
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, sci-fi
First, I feel really dumb for not knowing this was science fiction before I started reading. Had it been more sci-fi than it was, I would have been annoyed. As it was, it was more along the lines of "The Host" in its sci-fi-ness. (Nothing similar among the stories, just that there were sci-fi elements instead of it being totally over the top: the story could happen to anybody, anywhere, the space stuff was just the backdrop)

I feel like there could have been... more. I'm not sure what it lacked e
Mav
I first heard about Academy 7 through a blog review, which was overwhelmingly positive. A YA SF Romance? I'm in. I finally got the book, after some delays, and found myself disappointed.

First off, I'm not entirely sure whether to call this a SF Romance, or a Romantic SF. Normally, the genre labels wouldn't matter because YA is an all encompassing "genre". But the difference in labels matters to me because they raise you entirely two different set of expectations.

On the SF side, the world build
Amber
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Although it is something I almost never do, I purchased this book based on the cover. It just caught my eye. I briefly read the description but had absolutely no idea of what the book would be like. And boy was I surprised! (It was a pleasant surprise of course...)

It wasn't long before I realised that it was a science fiction book. I like science fiction (Firefly anyone?) and absolutely loved Academy 7's world. I found everything to be so believable and wished I could be part of that world. (W
Linda
What a wonderful journey of two young people on the threshold of adulthood! Thank you, joE mo, for listing this as one of your all-time favorites. I would not have seen this author otherwise.

Set in a futuristic society similar to Earth, Aerin Renning is a seventeen-year-old orphan trying not to appear needy. Her past is murky when she is saved by a captain of the Alliance. He tests her without her knowledge and sends off for the results. Because of her high scores she receives an all-paid admiss
Lucy
Jun 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, teen, sciencefiction
Aerin is a fugitive, running from the memory of her father’s death and the last seven years of her life on a slave planet. Dane is a privileged rich boy who chafes against the boundaries of his family and his life. The only thing they have in common is that they are both students at Academy 7, the most prestigious school in the Alliance—and that they are both living with buried secrets, secrets that haunt them.

What starts as an academic rivalry soon turns to mutual admiration, and then friendsh
syfy young adult 1 2 Sep 06, 2015 08:20AM
  • The Season
  • Brightly Woven
  • The Reluctant Heiress
  • Radiant Darkness
  • Once a Princess  (Sasharia en Garde!, #1)
  • To Catch a Pirate
  • Girl in the Arena
  • The Color of Rain
  • Heartbreak River
  • The Amaranth Enchantment
  • Waking Rose (A Fairy Tale Retold #3)
  • Sea Change
  • Paradise 21 (A New Dawn, #1)
  • The Animal
Anne Osterlund grew up in the sunshine of Eastern Oregon and graduated from Whitworth College. She lives in a cute little yellow house with her best feline friend, Simba, and her own library of young adult books. She enjoys immersing her students in language, literature, and imagination. Anne has written five novels: Aurelia, Exile, Redemption, Academy 7, and Salvation. She has dreams of many more ...more
More about Anne Osterlund

Young Adult Deals

• A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Is the Story of You
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Don't Get Caught
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • So B. It
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
    $9.99 $2.99
“When you have the same dream over and over again, your brain is trying to solve a problem. It knows there's an answer.” 86 likes
“Look, Aerin, preparation is only half the challenge of winning a debate.”
“And the other half?”
He had her now. “You have to choose the right side.”
“Your side, you mean.” She bristled.
“No, the losing side.”
“What?”
“Always choose the weaker side.”
“Why would I do that?” Doubt edged her voice, but now she was sitting erect, her feet flat on the floor.
“Because then you have further to go to prove your case.” He eased the feet of his chair down. “In a debate, there are two sides. If both make a good argument, then the less popular side wins because that side had further to go to prove its point. Simple logistics.”
“If you don’t care which side wins.” She frowned.
“It’s a debate. It doesn’t matter which side wins.”
“You mean it doesn’t matter to you.” The tone in her voice unsettled him. Or maybe it was the fact that that her criticism disturbed him at all.
“It’s a class,” he said. “The point is to flesh out the different sides of an argument.”
“And you don’t care if the truth gets lost in the shuffle. Don’t you believe in anything?!”
78 likes