Start by marking “Pet Sematary” as Want to Read:
Pet Sematary

Pet Sematary

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  315,097 Ratings  ·  6,607 Reviews
The house looked right, felt right, to Dr. Louis Creed.

Rambling, old, unsmart and comfortable. A place where the family could settle; the children grow and play and explore. The rolling hills and meadows of Maine seemed a world away from the fume-choked dangers of Chicago.

Only the occasional big truck out on the two-lane highway, grinding up through the gears, hammering do
Published October 4th 2007 by Hodder (first published November 14th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Pet Sematary, please sign up.
Jona Meow I am thirteen and I read it. Often I would stop and just think about death while reading, this novel especially focas's on that subject. Don't get me…moreI am thirteen and I read it. Often I would stop and just think about death while reading, this novel especially focas's on that subject. Don't get me wrong I loved it, but I got kinda sad at times. I wouldn't let a ten year old read this let alone a friend my age. I hope this will help.(less)

Chelsea Humphrey
Wow. Just wow. I've put off reading this one for years because, well.... I'm a wimp. There, I said it. When one of the most well-known names in the contemporary era of the horror genre says something is his scariest book, I take note. It seems bizarre that I finally chose to tackle this one while having children the same age as Louis Creed's, it was precisely the perfect time to pick this up. I listened to almost the entire book over a 24-hour period while road-tripping, and the experience was u ...more
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
It’s probably wrong to believe there can be any limit to the horror which the human mind can experience. On the contrary, it seems that some exponential effect begins to obtain as deeper and deeper darkness falls—as little as one may like to admit it, human experience tends, in a good many ways, to support the idea that when the nightmare grows black enough, horror spawns horror, one coincidental evil begets other, often more deliberate evils, until finally blackness seems to cover everything.
Johann (jobis89)
"Cause what you buy, is what you own. And what you own... always comes home to you."

Louis Creed and his family have recently moved to the town of Ludlow, Maine. Behind their house there is a path that leads to a 'Pet Sematary', where the children of surrounding areas have buried their beloved pets in years gone by. Deeper in the woods there lies an ancient Indian burial ground, that Louis discovers has some sinister properties when their family cat dies...

It's no secret that Pet Sematary is my f
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
While reading this book, all I that runs through my head is the song the Ramones made for the movie.

So, I'm going to link the video so all of you can have it running through your head as well! Kickin' it old school =)

Pet Sematary - The Ramones

Okay, let me just go ahead and say there will be **SPOILERS** for those that haven't read the book or seen the movie.

I have seen the movie about 6 million 5 hundred and 8 times. And I love it! THIS is the first time I have read the book, and as there are
Carol
"Sometimes dead is better".................

KING calls Pet Sematary his scariest book, and I can understand why. It is super creepy and super "shocking" where he takes the reader, and his interesting prologue explaining how he came to write this unsettling tale brings a bit of truth to the story.

While truly a horror of a read, it is excellent in respect to its genre, but just awful too if that makes any sense. PS is not particularly gory, but definitely sad, sick, dark, and disgusting with more t

Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
That ending though...

This ended up being very different than what I expected. The less you know about it, the better!
Mario
Once upon a time when I was a child, I remember talking with my family about horror movies. Somebody asked what was the scariest movie you've watched, and my mom without thinking said 'Pet Sematary'. I remember laughing and saying 'How on earth could a movie named Pet Sematary be scary?' Fast forward to now, I changed my mind.

This book is scariest and creepiest book I've ever read, and I'm sure it'll stay number 1 for a long time. It made me think about stuff I don't want, or refuse, to think a
Sr3yas
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read The Shining, my first Stephen King book back in summer of 2016 and was absolutely blown away by it. Since then I've been reading King's books religiously to find the next masterpiece that could push the limits of a sane mind. Well, It took me two years and eleven more King's books to find it, and on the way, I met many great contenders like Pennywise, Barlow and George Stark. But it was Pet Sematary and the horrors that paid a visit to the small family in Ludlow that finally won me over ...more
Vincent Kaprat
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This may be King's darkest book. If you're goth, read this and you'll be 5% goth'er.
Matt
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
Every Halloween, I like to do a little season’s readings. For most of the year, I generally avoid scary books and movies. Life is scary enough without looking for extra frights. But there’s something about the Fall. Once the wind gets sharp, the days get short, and the leaves start to drop, I inevitably find myself within a small window of time in which horror is appealing. This window closes abruptly at midnight on November 1. Before that time, though, I’m relatively open to the idea of being t ...more
Nikki
Oct 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
AMEERA
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King : king of horror stories 💀👑'
Edward Lorn
Pet Sematary Review (Kinda) I know this review is long, but I have a personal story to tell. Read it if you want to, but the simple fact of the matter is that this book is awesome. If you haven't read it, stop fucking about.

When I was ten years old, my mother and her best friend Andrita took a trip to the local drive-in to catch a showing of Pet Sematary. My father was out with his own buddies, so guess who got to tag along? Yup, me. My mother told me to go to sleep in the back seat, and then p
Heena Rathore P.
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Note: I read this book in RMFAO's November Buddy-Read with some of my awesome friends Magdalena, Titas, Andrew, Kim, Stefani Saloma, Marigold, Konstantina Pap.

description

Pet Sematary is undoubtedly one of Stephen King’s finest works. I tend to be speechless when it comes to writing a review for his books, so forgive me if I write less than necessary, because, nothing that can be said will ever be really enough to praise this book.

The story takes you very slowly through the life happenings of Louis Creed
Will M.
THE ELECTRICITY JUST FLUCTUATED WHILE I WAS WRITING THIS REVIEW. THE LIGHTS WENT BATSHIT CRAZY. WTF IS HAPPENING? I'M NOT KIDDING AROUND, IT'S 6:15PM AND I'M ALONE IN MY ROOM. WHAT DID YOU DO TO ME, KING?

Louis Creeds moves into a beautiful old house in Maine with his wife, daughter, son, and cat. It was all normal and perfect at first, but the nearby woods became apparent and so was the Pet Sematary.

When people regard King as the master of horror, I used to raise an eyebrow. I've read a few o
Luffy
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

While a third into this Stephen King book, it dawned on me why King had such a strong fan base around the world in the 80s, and was the hottest name in popular fiction. It came to me that reading such a well-written horror book was legitimately one of the most primal, adult things I could do. That's because this type of book can have its own brand of hangover. Luckily, I've not yet dreamed of Zelda, the most terrifying monster in this book.

King had a handle on the human mind. He could then -
Babybook
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Što bi bilo kad bi ljudi mogli poništiti smrt? Svi smo barem jednom poželjeli da drage nam osobe koje više nisu s nama vratimo u zemaljski život ne razmišljajući o posljedicama. A što ako posljedice imaju visoku cijenu?
Inače nisam fan horora ali barem jednom godišnje dopustim sebi da se malo isprepadam. Prošle godine negdje u ovo doba sam čitala "It" koje me se nije posebno dojmilo, ovaj put izbor je pao na groblje kućnih ljubimaca. Jesam li se isprepadala? Bome jesam. Ali više od samih gnjusnih
Dustin
Dec 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy crap, re-reading this book is like watching a car crash about to take place in super slow motion: You know what's coming, you know how it can be avoided, but all the same, you find yourself walking the well-tended path into the deep woods of Northern Maine...

In my reading of this, as a new father myself, I find the entire concept of the Pet Sematary itself really sort of secondary to the main plot of parents, doing everything in their power, to protect their children from all the dangers in
Jadranka

Stephen King je istakao da „Groblje kućnih ljubimaca“ smatra svojom najstrašnijom knjigom, i da je nakon završetka pisanja rukopis stavio u fioku, misleći da je konačno otišao suviše daleko. I sam je toliko bio užasnut onim što je napisao...e pa Stevo kako i ne bi bio užasnut!!
Knjiga koju još uvek držim pred sobom dok pišem ovaj prikaz je verovatno jedna od najgroznijih, najgnusnijih, najuznemiravajućih, najmučnijih knjiga koje sam u životu pročitala. Dotakla je u meni sva ona mračna mesta koja
Calista
I read this 2 decades ago and I can still picture the scene where he is talking about the ancient magic in the woods that the Native Americans lived with. This was a creepy book and it was a great read. Love it.
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

Pet Semetary is horror-scary with its story, but the prime focus that comes across to me is overwhelming grief meeting the breaking point/barrier the brain has before it goes insane.

Stephen King has said this was one of the books that frightened him the most to write. It likely meant so much to him because of being a father himself. It's actually a creepy book (so much horror isn't actually scary), but while reading it I found it wasn't always the actual moments that were what stood out as creep
Roula
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ας ξεκινησουμε με κατι αναλαφρο που μεχρι στιγμης δε γνωριζα: το τραγουδι pet cemetary των πολυαγαπημενων ramones εχει γραφτει ειδικα για την ταινια στην οποια βασιστηκε αυτο το βιβλιο και μαλιστα στενοτατη φιλια συνεδεε τον King με τα μελη του συγκροτηματος...αυτο...αυτο ειναι το ΜΟΝΟ αναλαφρο στοιχειο σχετικα με αυτο το βιβλιο.τελος τα αναλαφρα.
Κατα τα αλλα αυτο το βιβλιο εμενα προσωπικα με ταραξε ιδιαιτερως.με τρομαξε, ναι, αλλα κυριως με βυθισε σε μια πολυ παραξενη και δυσαρεστη αισθηση.ηθελ
Glenn Sumi
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“When I’m asked (as I frequently am) what I consider to be the most frightening book I’ve ever written, the answer I give comes easily and with no hesitation: Pet Sematary.” - Stephen King, 2000

While I was reading this book, my Goodreads friend Julie made a comment on one of my updates: “Ooo – old school!” or something like that.

It’s true. This is old school horror, like the first Stephen King book I ever read, The Shining.

In his 2000 introduction, King says of all his works, Pet Sematary (198
BooksTwins
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mientras uno avanza cada vez se pone mejor y mejor, hasta llegar a la tercera partes: la más intensa y horrible de todas, ahí ya no se puede soltar el libro 😵
Me encantó! No puedo no darle sus merecidas 5🌟
RESEÑA EN EL BLOG: https://bookstwins.wordpress.com/2017...
María Paz Greene F
UF. Es la primera vez que leo un libro que me da miedo DE VERDAD. Es que hay veces en que NO LO PODÍA CREER. Incluso llegué a preguntarme si no sería mejor dejarlo, porque podía quedarse atrapado en mi subconsciente o algo así, jajaja.

PERO SEGUÍ ADELANTE, y... UF. No es solo el tipo de terror de lo sobrenatural, que es fuerte (FUERTE, porque está además muy bien hecho), sino que también y en especial, el recordatorio sobre la muerte, algo que es de lo más natural y a lo que todos llegaremos even
Franco  Santos
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
La muerte es un misterio. El entierro, un secreto.
Este es el libro que más miedo me dio de King. En Cementerio de animales convergen el horror, la angustia y una desesperación oscura y acuciante. Es un poco pesado en algunas partes, pero les puedo asegurar que les va a helar los huesos.

description

Se los recomiendo muchísimo. Es una maravilla del autor. Es denso, no obstante, muy bueno.
Laz
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this was certainly the freakiest, creepiest book I've ever read. It was an intense, brilliant thriller full of scary stuff brought straight out of nightmares.

It was not a long book and that certainly made me love it more because the story was not dragged on but it was straight to the point. It was not as much as gory as I expected it to be but it still managed to freak me out all the same.

The storyline is that of the Creed family moving to a new house. Louis Creed, his wife Rachel and his
Trish
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buddy-read with Brad.

My very first book by Stephen King and I'm still in awe. This was some experience! Bwahahahahaha!

First, in my edition, we are treated to an introduction by Stephen King from September 20th, 2000:
[His young daughter's cat was killed by a car or truck, died and was buried. Then, some time later ...]
"All seemed to be well until that night, when I heard a thumping from the garage, accompanied by weeping and popping sounds like small firecrackers. I went out to investigate and fo
Matthew
Two things about this book:

1. It is one of two Stephen King books I finished on one sitting (the other being The Dead Zone)
2. When I was a kid, I had to make sure the cover of this book was not facing out or I could not sleep. I didn't even like to look at it when I was awake!
Agustina
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2018
Qué buen libro. El que más me dio miedo hasta ahora. Hubo una noche que de verdad me costó dormir.
Genio SK !
Leituras Conjunta...: Leitura Conjunta - Pet Sematary (Agosto/Setembro) 6 4 Jul 06, 2018 07:07AM
July 2018 Book of the Month 1 4 Jul 01, 2018 12:27PM

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
“Sometimes dead is better” 266 likes
“And the most terrifying question of all may be just how much horror the human mind can stand and still maintain a wakeful, staring, unrelenting sanity.” 169 likes