Start by marking “Star Trek The Next Generation #10” as Want to Read:
Star Trek The Next Generation #10

Star Trek The Next Generation #10 (Star Trek: The Next Generation #10)

3.6  ·  Rating Details ·  1,274 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Under the best circumstances, terraforming is a tough, dangerous task that pits the hardiest of pioneers against an unforgiving environment. When the terraformers on the planet Paradise fall behind schedule, commander Riker is given temporary leave from the U.S.S. "Enterprise"(TM) and sent to assist. Riker's replacement on the Starship "Enterprise" is a volatile officer na ...more
Published September 22nd 2000 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek The Next Generation #10, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek The Next Generation #10

Jerry
Sep 13, 2016 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another winner from modern sci-fi/fantasy legend Peter David. Exciting and fun, with a rather creepy villain.
Heather Domin
This was one of my favorite TNG books when I was a teenager (the danger! the angst! the psychic hotline of love!), but at 36 I can see things I couldn't see at 13. The main one is Stone: he's supposed to be an intriguingly damaged loner, a pre-DS9 mirror to the dark spots in the Federation, and as a teenager I was *all* about that - now he mostly comes across as sociopathic time bomb and general creeper. (Both Deanna and Beverly are ~strangely drawn to him~ after he creeps on them. Gross.) Also, ...more
Kati
Jun 09, 2009 Kati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Star Trek: The Next Generation tie-in. And I loved it! Peter David is an amazing writer and I love his ST books! Most male authors - especially those writing tie-ins - don't really "get" female characters or they write the emotional side of the characters wrong, just wrong or they completely omit it - but not Peter David. You can literally feel the characters the way he writes them. There's action and emotions and fun and suspense in this book, Peter David just gets it right. Also, a big part ...more
Camille
Mar 25, 2010 Camille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riker is sent to a terraforma planet to check on their status, his replacement, Quintin Stone, might be insane (even though he beat the Kobayashi Maru Simulation without cheating during Starfleet Academy), Troi is doing her Troi thing (feeling stuff) and we meet Wild Things (cannibal wolf like animals).

All and all it was another good read from Peter David. He is my favorite Star Trek TNG author because his story-lines are always intriguing, characters interesting and genuine humor throughout th
Mario
Sep 11, 2013 Mario rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review originally appeared on my blog, Shared Universe Reviews.

This is the second Star Trek book Peter David’s ever written and it’s the second one I’ve ever read. It was good but not as good as the first outing. I have to say I’m glad this wasn’t the first Peter David Star Trek novel I’ve read because I might not have read another one so soon. There is a lot to like about this book and one of them was to see how Pater David is getting comfortable writing about the crew of the Enterprise
Kreg
May 30, 2017 Kreg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-tng
Characterizations for the TNG crew are a bit off, particularly with Riker and Troi. However the lead character of Stone is a real piece of work. The author tried to make him a problem child/bad boy, but it really just disguises the fact that it's a Mary Sue type character. It got to be more and more implausible as the story wore on.
Anna
Jan 21, 2017 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, 2017
Pretty good, nothing earthshattering. I must say though, it'd have been far better had the entire book been comprised of poker games. O'Brien being pissy over being outbluffed was hilarious.
William Johnson
Sep 16, 2011 William Johnson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trek
The Grand Star Trek Book Review #2: A Rock and a Hard Place (TNG #10)

Peter David pretty reliable but, like most of TNG's early books or early episodes, the going is bumpy with patches of promise. I like David a lot and his Star Trek series New Frontier was, at least for awhile, a marvelous book series.

David even says one of the characters in A Rock and Hard Place morphed into Captain Calhoun from the New Frontier series so you got that.

Riker is one of my favorite characters so a book about him
A
May 27, 2010 A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I'm a sucker for any story focusing on Riker or Troi so I liked this as much as I thought I would. It was decently written, which can't be said for all Star Trek books. I will say that Stone was possibly the most annoying character in the history of fictional characters. I'm not sure If I was supposed to sympathise with him at the end or reach an understanding? I didn't do either regardless. He was reckless and disrespectful and frankly a complete tool. I would have kicked his a** out of Starfle ...more
Patrick
Dec 09, 2012 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steven
Jul 19, 2012 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Lovisa
Mar 26, 2013 Lovisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So interesting! It's like a darker TNG-episode but with the horror dialed up. It's like... what if Wesley really had been executed because he stepped over the line when he fell into that green house? What kind of episode would that have become then? This book is not shying away from the gore of starfleet (it is partly a military organization after all) and there's an uncomfortable feeling just oozing out of the book and it's pretty neat. Stone is a perfect OC, so complex but you still don't know ...more
Travis
Apr 18, 2008 Travis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Peter David tries for a more serious Trek book with mixed results.
The character of Stone is used to show some of the grey area of the Federation and how Star fleet personel are always finding loop holes in the Prime Directive, but he comes across as some kind of whack job.
He's not terribly sympathetic, so his views don't come across as strongly, because you're not sure how stable he is. Do you root for him or hope he gets the psychiatric care he obviously leads?

You can see what Peter is trying
ABC
Dec 05, 2014 ABC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
-Great story, though they really don't explain why a Starfleet officer would be needed for terraforming.
-Stone, is a really interesting character with his own agenda, and I actually found my self liking him. Although his climax was...anticlimactic.
-Monarchy planet. Picard claims that he can't attack the people because of the Prime Directive, but the Federation sent ambassadors to them, so they are obviously free for General Order One.
-Stupid name
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 28, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
A great way to put the overly-civil TNG crew on edge is to throw someone or something at them which completely shakes up their cozy status quo. Peter David manages this with a guest character that sets everyone's teeth on edge...and forces the reader to make some surprising re-evaluations of our hero crew members. Only the disposable Riker-in-alien-Alaska B-plot keeps this novel from total greatness.
Nenangs
Star Trek TNG was one of my favourite TV series.

"People are only nervous about something they don't fully understand.", " It was onlyu a few centuries ago that, if there was something unknown, humans would automatically deal with it in one of three ways: KILL IT, POLLUTE IT, or TRY TO MAKE MONEY FROM IT."

dr. Beverly Crusher
Medical Officer of U.S.S Enterprise

Easy reading...I really liked it..:)
Joy
Mar 29, 2015 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I can't believe I haven't read this particular novel until now.

This is a rather dark novel for Peter David but his signature wit shines through in parts.

Commander Riker is temporarily transferred to the terriforming planet of Paradise so the Enterprise gets Commander Quinten Stone as its first officer. But no one told Riker about the "Wild Things" and everyone knows that Stone is crazy.....
Dark-Draco
I think this is one of the best ST novels I have read for a while. The story was great, but I did end up wanting to smack Stone in the mouth; how dare he talk like that to Picard! The stuff between Deanna and Riker was a bit sappy - I don't remember it getting that bad in the series - but otherwise I thought this would have made an excellent episode.
Sandy
Mar 05, 2009 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are like a Sci-Fi version of a Harlequin romance. Easy to read with interesting but uncomplicated plots. If you watched the TV show the books will feel familiar - with the same characters and stories similar to a show episode. If you like Star Trek or even sci-fi stories in general these books are great for a light read or a pool or beach day.
Jeff
I read all these "Next Generation" books in middle school/early high school. Even then I thought most of them were pretty bad (and I remember this one being particularly bad). But I'm a completist so they must be included in my book list!
Cary Spratt
Mar 11, 2013 Cary Spratt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, star-trek
Another entertaining novel from Peter David. Lots of action, scary monsters, a *very* interesting character who keeps you guessing -- is he 'good' crazy or a psycopath? -- and of course the small moments of humor interspersed throughout that seem to be a PD trademark.
Angela
Sep 17, 2011 Angela rated it liked it
A decent book focusing on Riker and Troi. The interesting parts are all to do with the new officer who joins the Enterprise, and how the crew react to him. The writing by Peter David is spot on for character.
Craig
Jul 28, 2016 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Liked the dynamic of Stone and adding that wild card to the Enterprise crew and how they handled it. Due to it still being early with Picard I am sure he would have handled him differently if this was later on in the TNG series.
John
And I repeat, Peter David is simply one of the best ST writers out there (and in reality he writes a LOT more than just ST). This book was excellent.
Jeremy
Feb 07, 2013 Jeremy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Felt like it was written by a young adult author.
N. Eric
Apr 02, 2012 N. Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best Trek character in the replacement first officer.
Poli
Sep 08, 2012 Poli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Peter David book. Love his style. Love his work.
Darla Stokes
Quick, engaging read, but I'm really not a fan of books written about TV shows. Plus, this was mostly about Riker, probably my least favorite character from ST:TNG.
Martijn Hartman-maatman
Not bad actually, quite an entertaining story. But Commander Stone needs a bit more background.
Chris
Oct 27, 2014 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was better than some of the Star Trek books that I have read in that it seems more true to each character. I thought the adventure was interesting and that it had some nice twists.
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • Perchance to Dream (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #19)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #13)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation #3)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • Possession (Star Trek: The Next Generation #40)
  • The Romulan Stratagem (Star Trek The Next Generation,#35)
  • Foreign Foes (Star Trek: The Next Generation #31)
  • Guises of the Mind (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #27)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum
More about Peter David...

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)