Start by marking “The Man Who Stayed Behind” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Stayed Behind

The Man Who Stayed Behind

Published April 3rd 2001 by Duke University Press Books (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Stayed Behind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Stayed Behind

Start your review of The Man Who Stayed Behind
CarolineFromConcord
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
I am now at page 208. I am probably not going to finish it. Although it is interesting and well-written (ghostwriter from Wall Street Journal is very good), it is frustrating.

During WW II, Sidney Rittenberg, an American Communist and labor organizer in his 20s, learns Chinese, joins the Army, and ends up in China in 1945, just as the civil war between the Chiang Kai-shek's Nationalist government and Mao Zedong's Communists is heating up. What Rittenberg sees of the former is feudal callousness,
Arjen
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This autobiography is not your usual expat in China story. Sidney Rittenberg stayed on in China after his assignment with the US army at the end of WW2 was done, first joining a U.N. mission and then joining the Communists in Yan'an, becoming the first American to ever become a Chinese Communist Party member. Rittenberg climbs to an influential position at China International Radio responsible for translating and delivering Mao Zedong Thought and propagating Chinas view on communism to the ...more
Riley
Jun 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Sidney Rittenberg was an American Communist from South Carolina who learned Chinese as a World War II draftee and ended up living there through the 1970s. This memoir shows both his idealism about Chinese Communism and the terrible price he paid for it. His was a history I was totally unaware of.
Qmmayer
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: china
3.5

Rittenberg's story is mind-boggling. I found his book especially useful for illuminating just how desperate things were for the majority of Chinese citizens before the Communists took over. It helps to make sense of the tragedy that follows (the Anti-Rightist Campaign, the Great Leap Forward, the Cultural Revolution) which Rittenberg all details as an eye-witness to the Revolution and member of the Communist Party. He is twice imprisoned and eventually becomes disenchanted with the Party,
Brian
First, the good stuff. This is an impressively unique insider look at a time in Chinese history I know very little about. The beginning and end of the book were especially enjoyable.

Now, the bad stuff. This book inhabited an odd place between academic text and memoir. The academic side made it a mostly dry read; the memoir side narrowed the focus and left me desiring more context.

This is such an interesting story and I am glad I read it, but the journey was not easy.
Janice
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating book. I still don't understand how it could take someone 2 prison terms in isolation to understand the evil behind communism. Glad he wrote this book because I know so many people who idealize and romanticize this ideology. Must read for those who do not know history of the communist way of life. Great for high- schoolers.
Stephen Douglas Rowland
A fascinating book for anyone interested in communist China, but also an infuriating one. Rittenberg's complete lack of critical thinking skills pushed me toward a myocardial infarction many times and his constant boasting and self-importance is rather annoying, but he finally sees the light. All it takes is 15 years in solitary confinement.
Alex
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: physical-copy
This one took awhile for me to get through. The author certainly has had an extraordinary experience and there were parts of the book, like his experience during the Cultural Revolution, that really held my attention. However, other sections of the story were just kind of slow and hard to get through.
Tony Taylor
Jan 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
I met Sidney Rittenberg in Seattle in 2004; very interesting man. He lives on Fox Island, WA

The Man Who Stayed Behind is the remarkable account of Sidney Rittenberg, an American who was sent to China by the U.S. military in the 1940s. A student activist and labor organizer who was fluent in Chinese, Rittenberg became caught up in the turbulence that engulfed China and remained there until the late 1970s. Even with access to Chinas highest leaders as an American communist, however, he was twice
Leslie
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great inside look at the Chinese Revolution--from before the Communists won until Mao's death. Sidney Rittenberg was one of the tiny handful of foreigners that were allowed to live and work in China after 1949. He was also the first American to join the Chinese Communist party. He participated in the many campaigns like the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution and he knew Mao, Zhou Enlai, and other top government officials personally. He was jailed twice, once for six years ...more
Donny
Mar 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
The Man Who Stayed Behind is the story of an American soldier that stayed in China after World War II and became a part of Mao Zedong's communist regime. During this time Sidney Rittenberg went from a high level member of the communist party to a purged dissident and back to an accepted member of the communist party.

Sidney Rittenberg has a uniquely western and inside perspective on the post World War II history of China that should be educational to anyone interested in Chinese history.
Lacey
Apr 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have met Rittenberg in person and I asked him what had gotten him through the 16 years in isolation in China, and he said to me,"The belief in truth". This man has an amazing way of making light of any situation. I am looking to buy this book, although I know it was published in the 60's and it will be difficult to find a copy.
David
May 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
The memoir of a true believer, an American who joined the Chinese Communists and attained a fairly high position in the government. Eventually, like most people who shared a cave with Mao in the good old days of revolutionary struggle, he ended up in prison during the Cultural Revolution. Facinating life.
Karen
Jun 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Knowing Sidney probably biases my rating. The writing is a bit dry and overly detailed at times, but his story is utterly amazing. A naive young military recruit who excelled in foreign languages finds his way to the center of China's cultural revolution and in an odd twist of fate becomes Mao's right hand man, spends more than two decades in a Chinese prison and makes it home to the US.
Bill
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I could not put it down. The author is a neighbor of mine on Fox Island, WA. You not only learn about him during 35 years in China, but also the vast changes in Chinese politics and culture every time he gets out of prison. The former Communist is now a consummate Capitalist, taking Bill Gates and others who want to do business in China, there to meet the leaders he grew up with. Fascinating!
Stormy
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read this book on recommendation of my brother who had read it and traveled in China. I wanted to confirm what I'd read and learned in reading Rivertown by a Peace Corps volunteer. This author spent 35 years in China and really got involved in the Communist era. Well worth the read!
Xujun Eberlein
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who has made seeking truth his or her quest should read this book. With a painful honesty, Rittenberg accounts a sincere believer's failed efforts in pursuing idealism. (Read more of my comments on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3TF19SO...)
Roger Humbke
Oct 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who is interested in the reality of Chairman Mao's China
Recommended to Roger by: Corrina Turner - Teacher
An absolutely riviting autobiography that any Caucasion that believes he understand Chinese culture should read. It scared me to death and made me think of moving on!
Rob
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting, but with no background in Chinese history, skimming a few wikipedia articles first would have been useful.
Wallace
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Clearly written portrayal of an American who hoped that Chinese Communism would make the world a better place. I appreciate any book that offers another perspective on politics and capitalism.
John
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
incredible life and unbelievable times. Details on certain personalities are highly interesting.
Philip B.
May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Incredible story of an idealistic naif on the Long March. Excellent counter point to the 10 lb Mao book.
Michael
May 31, 2009 marked it as to-read
I met the Mr Rittenberg on a flight from San Diego and what an interesting gentleman, I'm looking forward to reading this book.
Elaine
Aug 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Hippie
  • Walking in the Beauty of the World : Reflections of a Northwest Botanist
  • The Upstarts: How Uber, Airbnb, and the Killer Companies of the New Silicon Valley Are Changing the World
  • Autopsie d'une femme plate
  • The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook: Revolutionary Techniques. Groundbreaking Recipes.
  • Saigon
  • The Smartest Kids in the World: And How They Got That Way
  • The Future of the Professions: How Technology Will Transform the Work of Human Experts
  • Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly, and the Making of the Modern Middle East
  • The Soong Sisters
  • Rocket Boys (Coalwood #1)
  • We Learn Nothing
  • The Many Lives of Michael Bloomberg
  • Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber
  • Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth
  • Stealing Games: How John McGraw Transformed Baseball with the 1911 New York Giants
  • Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story
Sidney Rittenberg was an American journalist, scholar, and Chinese linguist who lived in China from 1944 to 1980. He worked closely with Mao Zedong, Zhu De, Zhou Enlai, and other leaders of the Chinese Communist Party.