Start by marking “Both Sides of Time” as Want to Read:
Both Sides of Time

Both Sides of Time (Time Travelers #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  3,588 Ratings  ·  180 Reviews
Imagine changing centuries--and making things worse, not better, on both sides of time.

Imagine being involved in two love triangles in two different centuries. What if, no matter which direction you travel in time, you must abandon someone you love?

Meet 15-year-old Annie Lockwood, a romantic living in the wrong century. When she travels back a hundred years and lands in 18
Published January 1st 1997 by Laurel Leaf (first published July 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Both Sides of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Both Sides of Time

Jillian
I can't remember the number of times I read this series. Over and over and over. I loved Annie because she was just like me - a little awkward, a hopeless romantic, and better fitted for a previous century. I was infatuated with Strat. I was addicted to every book when I first got it until I finished it. I spent every spare moment dreaming of being in the 1800s with the two of them. Cooney gave me an obsession and I'm so happy I had it...and secretly still do have it.
Jennie
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Everyone in this book is an idiot. Which is OK, because most of the characters are teenagers and everyone knows that teenagers are idiots. I can say that, because I used to be one.

Both Sides of Time, by Caroline B. Cooney, is a book I read MANY MANY times when it came out, a book I loved because it contained NOT ONLY a sassy heroine, smitten hero, and love story, but TIME TRAVEL. My tastes? They have not changed much (see: Lost, Doctor Who, Safety Not Guaranteed, etc).

The only thing I really rem
Kayla Edwards
Until running across one completely by accident a few weeks ago, I had completely forgotten these books existed. This is surprising since I was completely obsessed with them in middle school. I have always been a history buff so any tale where the heroine gets to travel back in time is right up my alley. I am no longer as smitten as I was back then (though middle school me is glaring over my shoulder demanding a 5 star review) but I still enjoyed this series.

This time around, I found myself a l
rivka
Oct 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to rivka by: Lisa Vegan
Like all three of the books from this series I've read so far, enjoyable YA fare with interesting historical and interpersonal notes. The first two must be read together; the third is a nice addition but not necessary to complete the first two. And the fourth (why is there always a fourth with Cooney series? ;) ) looks interesting enough that I plan to get my hands on it.
Deborah Heal
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Annie is a “romantic in the wrong century,” but her boyfriend is more interested in his old cars. But one day at the derelict mansion outside of town, when “something was wrong with the day, or something wrong with her” she falls back one century and falls in love with Strat, a boy who is everything she’s been dreaming of—everything her boyfriend is not. He is handsome, honorable, and heir to the Stratton mansion and fortune.
The 1880s seem incredibly romantic to Annie, so much better than her ow
Sophia
Feb 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hopeless romantics, middle schoolers, victorian era enthusiasts, readers with low standards.
I know a book is bad when after every single chapter I find myself thinking, "yeah...so?" That being said, I got this book when I was eleven and I really should have read it then, before I had any real concept of writing and character development. This is literally like a story I would have written for sixth grade english. It's not unbearable at first, but it becomes frighteningly pathetic very quickly. Cheesy, "romantic" bull shit practically oozes from every page. The plot is shallow, the char ...more
Abbi Davis
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! I got it because it looked interesting and one of my friends (zoe) told me she liked the author.It's about a girl that went back in time and had an amazing time!First,there was a murder mystery!Then,she met Strat, his sister Devonny,his stepmom,his dad,and his gf Harriet. Strat and the girl that went back in time fell in love,so Harriet is (obviously) heartbroken and is forced to go to desperate measures. I hope I've said enough to get you excited about it,but I won't s ...more
Hannah12102
Nov 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not gonna right a full review cuz this book doesn't deserve it. IT WAS AWFUL! It was ridiculously cheesey and there was so much instalove. The writing style was so bad it felt like a first grader wrote it. Just yuck ew
Viktoria Jean
Oct 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: COONEY FANS!
[Giving romance stories a second chance:] I was partly influenced by my best friend to read this book, for I'll never read pointless romance for I had once read a really mushy one that made me sick, with pointless sweet nothings in addition. Both Sides of Time. As if Time was a person with two faces, someone who can hear your cries, and hear your pleas and will then cruelly decide whether or not it shall fulfil your plea, which, after reading the book, I felt that it must have been what Annie Lo ...more
Jenny
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kind of bad-mouthed Caroline B. Cooney in my review of Lois Duncan's Down a Dark Hall, and now I feel bad because this book is so good!! Well, when I said she wasn't as skilled a writer as Duncan, I was really thinking of the Christina series, of which I read book one. I didn't like it, and it wasn't as good as other books I've read by Cooney. This book definitely redeems her in my view.
Annie, Devonny, Strat, Harriett, Bridgett, they're all well-written, realistic, sympathetic characters. The
  • Timeless Love
  • Emily and the Scot (The MacLaughlins, #2)
  • Titanic: The Long Night
  • Samantha and the Cowboy
  • Mine Eyes Have Seen
  • Journey of Hope (Angel of Mercy, #1-2)
  • Gwyneth and the Thief
  • Armageddon Summer
  • Catherine and the Pirate
  • The Dark and Deadly Pool
  • Hindenburg, 1937
  • The Court of Stone Children
  • This Place Has No Atmosphere
  • The Claim (Boston Jane, #3)
  • Don't Tell (Dark Secrets, #2)
Caroline Cooney knew in sixth grade that she wanted to be a writer when "the best teacher I ever had in my life" made writing her main focus. "He used to rip off covers from The New Yorker and pass them around and make us write a short story on whichever cover we got. I started writing then and never stopped!"
When her children were young, Caroline started writing books for young people -- with rem
More about Caroline B. Cooney...

Time Travelers (4 books)
  • Out of Time (Time Travelers, #2)
  • Prisoner of Time (Time Travelers, #3)
  • For All Time (Time Travelers, #4)
“People think they own time. They have watches and clocks and digital pulses. But they are wrong. Time owns them. 69 likes
“I'll take you to Mickey D's," said Sean. "I'll buy you a hamburger."
Annie was not thrilled. Sean's offer did not compare to offers made in other centuries.
"And fries," Sean said. "And a vanilla milkshake."
Annie remained unthrilled.
"Okay, okay. You can have a Big Mac."
Romance in my century, she thought, is pitiful.”
9 likes