Start by marking “New Leather” as Want to Read:
New Leather

New Leather

Bondage is not journalist Carl Guttuso's thing. He has no need to tie a man up or beat the crap out of him and call it sexy. No one is doing that to him either, or so he thought. During an interview, the charismatic BDSM Dom, James Pauly, asks Carl to be his submissive lover to learn about the lifestyle from within and Carl agrees to a six-week contract. James has not been ...more
Published December 22nd 2009 by Excessica

To ask other readers questions about New Leather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Leather

xbmbgrl
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
It’s nice when you start a new BDSM book by an author you have never read before and find that the acknowledgments include a real BDSM group. It implies that the author did some of her own research and wanted to get to the heart of the story in a realistic manner. It seems like too often lately we get books with these types of plots that are based on reading other erotic D/s books.

I started the book off with a hopeful heart and it didn’t disappoint even though it didn’t give me as much internal
Elizabetta
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: bdsm, lt-100-pgs, age-gap

Carl is a journalist needing background on a story he’s working on about BDSM lifestyle. Really, though, he’s interested on a personal level. And lucky for him he stumbles onto the perfect (for him) Dom in James who’s willing AND able to drop everything to fill Carl’s every need.

This is a good entry-level book on the genre, for readers new to it. Both MCs are likable and their story interesting if very predictable. I did like how, much as he tried, Carl was not a natural at one thing in particul
Serena Yates
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
This was a realy interesting story from an author I've never read before.

Carl, who thinks that bondage isn't his thing, decides to do some in-depth research for a series of articles on BDSM. James, an experienced but lonely Dom, agrees to teach him by entering into a six-week contract with him.

The story follows the journey of self-discovery that both Carl and James go through as they discover the connection between them, the joy of the intense games they play together, and, finally, love. The is
Jane
May 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bdsm, m-m
2.5 Overall, it was a nice, simply plotted story from an author with some promise, and a sweet romance, but I had issues with the lack of editing and the overall feel.

As others have mentioned, the incorrect use of 'Dominate' when the correct word is 'Dominant' jarred, but there were quite a few basic errors of punctuation/typos that should've been caught and an insecure grasp on tense that made sections read oddly. The head hopping was confusing to say the least. I'm fine with alternate chapter
J
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
3.75 stars. A simple story about a journalist who happens to be gay that wants to write a story about the BDSM lifestyle. The journalist is sure BDSM isn't for him, but he seeks out a well known Dom to show him the ins and outs to get the story he wants. Both the Dom and the journalist were likeable characters and I enjoyed how the story played out (even if it was totally predictable).
Annery
I could be unkind and give this a lower rating for a number of reasons but the truth is I genuinely enjoyed it.

To enjoy this sensitively written and well intentioned book about one man'a initiation into the BDSM lifestyle you need to do a couple of things:

*go back to a pre-FSOG world before we all knew way too much about BDSM (or maybe that's just me). By virtue of necessity and plot the book is a bit of a primer on how or why of BDSM practices.

*get over the unfortunate use of Dominate instead o
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Carl the gay reporter wants to do a piece on Leathermen. His desire to do expose on the BDSM leather lifestyle had me wincing. Would this be good or bad? I am going to end up with a negative BDSM piece? To my delight, this story is done in a very good way and rather hot. James is the Dom showing Carl the lifestyle. It helps that Carl possesses submissive tendencies.

The bargain is 6 weeks, every weekend, Carl submits to James. This is when he learns about what it means to submit and also how impa
AE
May 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m, erotica
31%, DNF.

The writing was just so stilted and awkward, with its phrasing, scenarios and even word choices. I mean, it's Dominant not Dominate. The characters didn't develop at all, and by that I mean, we have no establishment that remains consistent. I have no character meat to sink into and the facts that I'm given don't hold up!

I mean, one isn't a big fan of X sexual act, hasn't done is in years, but they do it, and it's glossed over? No inner commentary? No outer? Just wham bam thank you ma'am
Carolyn
Jun 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bdsm, m-m-romance
Carl is a reporter who wants to write a story about BDSM. He agrees to inter a contract with James. Amazing things happen when they both discover each of their needs. I loved the story. I will recommmend it to all people who enjoy BDSM.
 Sara
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, bdsm, contemporary
just started the book, really want to like it, but can't stand that she uses "Dominate" when she means "Dominant" it's killing me here.
Shannon
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aa-recommend
New author for me and I really enjoyed this book. As sweet as a D/s book can be I supposed. Completely entertained the entire tire. Lots of yummy smexing!! :)
D
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bookbee
3.5 Stars
DL
Sep 29, 2011 rated it liked it
What is wrong with me that I never seem to be on the same plane as my friends? I just didn't fall in love with this story. Mostly because it didn't seem like much of a story to me. More of a BSDM instruction manual presented in an easy to swallow format. I didn't feel anything for the characters; they never came alive. I did like the contrast between a loving partner and an emotionless scene. But once again, it felt like instruction to me. The good part is that the friend who recommended this bo ...more
Kym
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was interesting…

Carl is a newbie with hidden submissive desires behind his tough guy ego. James is a calm calculating Dom who holds back from fear of repeating the past. Neither of them are truly honest with each other once the line is crossed. Neither will tell the other how they truly feel. Both is willing endure the pain of separating once their time is up.

I love the depth that was put into describing how Carl and James ended up with the issues they have. Their relationship is so powerf
Gerard Villegas
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Before there was Fifty "ick" Shades of Grey, there was New Leather. Now I'm bias because I've known Debra since our Myspace days (yes, I'm dating myself), so I got an advanced copy of the book and loved it.

Look, it's not your typical vanilla literary write. It's a fun naughty piece and I personally loved everything about it. As fan of subversive/transgressive fiction, I was thrown into the story and wished it never ended.

Good gay erotica is hard to find sometimes but this is one of them that I d
Fiordiligii
Sep 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
The blurb sounded interesting, but as soon as I started reading the story I knew, I wouldn't really enjoy this book and eventually discontinued. The writing felt stilted and the characters came over as one dimensional and cartoon-ish sometimes. I didn't quite get how the dom knew by looking at a picture of an unknown man that this would be his ideal sub. Come on. I am all about instant attraction but I like a bit of reality, too. DNF
Katy Beth Mckee
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bdsm, erotic, m-m
Carl has always dismissed the BDSM lifestyle but an overheard conversation seems to get his interest. He decides to take up the challenge to try it before he writes about it. James issues the challenge and he's not ever sure if it will be taken. I think both been are surprised by their feelings and reactions to each other. This story was more powerful then I expected. This was a really well written story.
Jaden
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
After starting off with a wonderful story from this publisher, I had some up and down experiences. But this one was a home run. I loved these characters and the plot pushed me to the edges of my comfort zone while leaving me quite turned on and involved in the story. Really glad my friends recommended this and I hope to see more of this author. Really nice stuff.
Brandilyn
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, read-2013
The Word is DOMINANT!! (not Dominate) and they are NIPPLES or PECS (not tits)... those 2 things drove me nuts and took me right out of the story. Also it read much longer than the 90 pages it claims to be.
Kerry
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book-own, bdsm, m-m
This was a pretty good story, but I wish it had been longer. The sex scenes were very short and not very detailed. Neither were the BDSM scenes. I really liked some of the secondary characters and would be interested in reading their stories. And I loved Carl's mother!
Mandi
Dec 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and well-written story. I enjoyed both characters, the setting (Providence!), and you can tell the author did her research. Recommended!

Clover
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm, contemporary, m-m, kinky
a very good introduction to the bdsm world. with a lot of romance.
MattMel
May 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hot-male-stuff
Great story idea, but for me too short to really get into the characters. Double the lenth and it could have been a fantastic tale.
Galia
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Karyn
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this one. Was the relationship slightly rushed it was, but overall great story.
Jen
Oct 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
This was really well written and the details the authors add really added to the story.
Lily
Nice story although in my opinion it needed some editing to smooth it out. My main issue with it however was the use of the term Dominate instead of Dominant. It was very jarring to read that.
Lira
Jan 27, 2014
Alarik
Oct 18, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Gathering Storm
  • The Cowboy Poet
  • Soft Focus
  • Turquoise and Leather (Collared, #1)
  • Catalyst
  • Above the Dungeon (Dungeon #1)
  • Word on a Wing
  • Breakdown Motel
  • Master Class (Master Class, #1)
  • Alphabet Soup (Alphabet Soup #1)
  • Bound To Please (Playing for Keeps, #2)
  • Thirty Days (From Thirty Days to Forever, #1)
  • A Master's Love (Master's Love, #1)
  • Uneven
  • Bondage (Deviations, #4)
  • Chaos Magic (Gods and Chaos, #1)
  • Remastering Jerna (Remastering Jerna, #1)
  • Mastering the Ride
I am fascinated with the creative process. From arts and crafts to writing, I gain a deep satisfaction in making something beautiful. I am an avid reader who carries a book everywhere—and opens it whenever there is a spare ten minutes. All genres interest me as long as romance plays a part. I live on the coast of New England with my husband and son and go to work in my spare time.
“I went into the experience with the notion that I was merely going to get a taste of a deviant lifestyle. The Dom was charismatic and the kinky sex might be good if I could get past the whipping part, because there was no way I would ever think that was fun. I believed I could never be truly submissive or enjoy pain. I was so very wrong

My life changed forever. The connection between Dom and sub is one of the closest relationships two people can have. Give and take became more than words. They became the basis of my existence. My body is no longer my own. He has access to everything I am— privacy does not exist, but when he looks at me it's with love. There is no fear and no shame because I am safe. I will always be safe with him.

As my Master will be safe with me.”
1 likes