Start by marking “Eleanor the Queen” as Want to Read:
Eleanor the Queen

Eleanor the Queen

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  744 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Eleanor of Aquitaine rules as a modern heroine in the twelfth century, in this beloved classic of royal fiction from renowned author Norah Lofts.

At a time when a woman’s value was measured solely by her wealth and the number of sons she bore, Eleanor was the high-spirited, stubborn, and intelligent heiress to the vast duchy of Aquitaine.

Her leadership inspired the loyalt
Published (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Eleanor the Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eleanor the Queen

Erin Germain
Not a bad little read. It's a slim book, so I knew it would gloss over a lot of her life, but it still gave a sense of what a strong woman Eleanor was. I think I'd prefer an actual biography, but this was fun to "flesh out" some of the relationships and give you a chance to peek into what might have been going through her head, especially during the fifteen years she was in prison.
Linda
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I approach books about the royals (tongue in cheek) with a bit of fear and trepidation. Their stories are often hyped-up dramas of evil, ruthlessness, and scandalous people. I am delighted, from what I have read so far, this is not true of Norah Lofts. She writes in good taste. It's not that she avoids the issues of these often messy lives but rather she is not sensational for the sake of shock value. She is a truly great, classical author.
I liked Eleanor the Queen because Eleanor is not as wel
Heather
Sep 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I really loved this book. I haven't read a historical fiction for a while and I had forgotten how much I love them. This book is based around fact. I love to learn about the history of Englands royals. It is a really fascinating read and written in a way that is easy to read without all the stuffyness of some factual books.
Mandy Moody
I enjoyed this book very much. I thought the story telling was exceptionally vivid, in addition to being very accurate.
Eleanor was such an amazing woman! From the crusades of her youth to her 15 year imprisonment as an old woman, her life was fascinating.
Rosemarie Short
As my Mom has just said to me, while discussing this book over the kettle, "Norah Lofts is a poor man's Jean Plaidy" - and in terms of historical fiction she's right.
I'm reliably told that Lofts has written fiction which, whilst in the historical realm, are not based on actual, living breathing, written in the history books people. And that, again I am told, is very good. I can see why - Lofts has a flair for narrative which really draws you in. The only problem I had with Eleanor the Queen is
Alana White
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of Historical Fiction

Eleanor the Queen: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine
by Norah Lofts
Touchstone/2010

First published a half-century ago, this reprint of Norah Lofts' story of one of history's most famous and powerful queens follows Eleanor from her marriage to the future king of France through her tempestuous marriage to King Henry II, her imprisonment at Henry's hands, and her eventual role as England's regent when her son, King Richard the Lion Heart, left Europe for Jerusalem on Crusade.

Fifteen at the time of her
Sandy
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eva
Aug 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely rich novel which begins with the death of Eleanor's father while on a crusade. As the heiress of a valuable estate, she was quickly married off to the future king of France.

Trained to rule by her father, she attempted to help her husband, King Louis VII, but his advisers denigrated her and kept them apart. When the Archbishop wanted a new crusade, she circumvented him and led her knights and nobles on the crusade.

After 15 years, she and Louis only had daughters. Using the excu
Hannah Cobb
As a chronology of the life and times of a famous woman, this book has it all: introductions for all the important historical figures, geographic and historic explanation of the politics, and a simple, straightforward narrative style that moves from key point to key point in Eleanor's life. As historical fiction, it falls seriously flat. It reads like a well-written history textbook interspersed with sections of blatantly information-filled dialogue. I was disappointed that Lofts made no real at ...more
Bon
An incredibly easy read, but ultimately disappointing. As eventful as Eleanor's life was, this book manages to skim over the truly interesting things and, instead, focuses on the mundane details of her life. Of the real historical events that were actually mentioned, the author succeeded in completely fictionalizing them and brushing them aside. I get that this is fiction, but if you're going to change these events, it'd be nice to at least make them interesting to read. And finally, the book en ...more
  • Red Rose of Anjou (Plantagenet Saga, #13)
  • The Secret Eleanor
  • Duchess of Aquitaine: A Novel of Eleanor
  • Queen Defiant: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • The Passionate Brood
195727
Also published using the pseudonyms Juliet Astley and Peter Curtis

Norah Lofts, née Norah Robinson, (27 August 1904–10 September 1983) was a 20th century best-selling British author. She wrote over fifty books specialising in historical fiction, but she also wrote non-fiction and short stories. Many of her novels, including her Suffolk Trilogy, follow the history of a specific house and the residen
More about Norah Lofts...