Start by marking “The Christian in Complete Armour” as Want to Read:
The Christian in Complete Armour

The Christian in Complete Armour

At a time in England when loyalty to Scripture placed Christians in the center of the nation's wars, Gurnall was more concerned with the souls of his people than the issues of conflicting political parties. Compiled from his many sermons on "the saints' war against the devil," his exhaustive exposition of Ephesians 6:10-20 treats the spiritual battles of believers and thei ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1958)

Start your review of The Christian in Complete Armour
Natalie Vellacott
This should be required reading for all Christians. It is theologically heavy in some areas so can be used more as a reference tool than for reading cover to cover. Full of practical advice for the Christian battles in life. Highly recommended.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
This book should come with a notice on the flyleaf--WARNING: Reading this book may cause crises of repentance.

I had the privilege of working on the Spanish translation of Gurnall's masterpiece. I remember reading it and thinking, "My pastor has to read this!" but unfortunately at that time it was only available in the original Elisabethan English and in the modernised version, so I spent several months creating a draft translation into Spanish which later formed the base-text for the version tha
Trisha
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I began reading this book as a Sunday Read, and thus it took me almost 2 years to finish it. I looked forward to every moment I spent with this book. Gurnall's words are profound, convicting, encouraging, and comforting.

Charles Spurgeon said, "I have often resorted to it when my own fire has been burning low, and I have seldom failed to find a glowing coal upon Gurnall's hearth." John Newton said if he might only read one other book besides the Bible, this would be it.
Michael Locklear
Any more, I try to never give 5 stars to a book. In fact, the last time I did was for the first of 3 volumes of William Gurnall's book, "The Christian In Complete Armour"in the fall of 2014. Shortly after finishing that first volume, I was informed by the leader of our local "book club" that we would be reading Gurnall's unabridged edition (which totals around 1,200 pages) in 2015. "Wow, what a challenge!"
Yesterday, Thursday, December the 17th of 2015 we had our last meeting of the year regard
Tori Samar
"O, this persevering is a hard word! this taking up the cross daily, this praying always, this watching night and day, and never laying aside our clothes and armour, I mean indulging ourselves, to remit and unbend in our holy waiting on God, and walking with God. This sends many sorrowful away from Christ, yet this is a saint's duty, to make religion his every-day work, without any vacation from one end of the year to the other."

Persevering is a hard word, indeed. I required perseverance in abun
Olivia
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a giveaway over at deeperchristian.com!

I read it for the year of 2018, and I was challenged, convicted, and pressed into Jesus through it! Having read these samples of The Christian in Complete Armor, I am now determined to read the entire set.

One thing that annoyed me a bit was the occasional reading that said, "There are three ways to do this. Number one..." Then the next two paragraphs would be about point number one, and the reading would end, and I would never know what
Jay
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good, but really long. I dipped in and out of this book for over three years (but didn't feel like I lost anything for my meandering).
Leslie Keyes Row McCann
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Christian professors
I am nearly finished with this 600 page book, and I will start reading it again upon completion.
This book covers vital Christian doctrines and offers practical application of the same.
Gurnall had a very great gift for putting difficult truths into simple words.
John Newton, author of the hymn "Amazing Grace," said, "If I might read only one book beside the Bible, I would choose The Christian in Complete Armour."
Charles Spurgeon wrote, "Gurnall's work is peerless and priceless; every line is ful
Robert
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a classic. Great advice for Christians. Written very eloquently. You can learn some stuff from it, probably.
Jeff Schrage
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazingly insightful collection that I read at bedtime over a number of years. It was in a rotation an was absolutely a must read. Great content and obvious application.
Kyle
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this some years ago and need to read it again, profoundly powerful!
Jeff Danhauer
I used this as a devotional read following my daily Bible reading. Used as such it is an excellent supplement.
John
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing quite like this deep devotional work.
Alyssa
Title: The Christian in Complete Armour

Author: William Gurnall edited by James S. Bell JR

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis from Goodreads: “If I might read only one book beside the Bible, I would choose The Christian in Complete Armour.” —John Newton

The Christian in Complete Armour: Daily Readings in Spiritual Warfare is packed with truths for spiritual triumph.

Originally written in the seventeenth century by Pastor William Gurnall, The Christian in Complete Armour is among the most highly regarded Christian
Emily
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I've been reading through this little treasure on and off for a while now. It's a daily devotional that Bell put together pulling treasures from Gurnall's book The Christian in Complete Armour. This is a great book for daily reading and really helps put a perspective on the daily battle we face against spiritual warfare.
David Farlow
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy and true spiritual wisdom in the great wrestling against our adversary the devil. Very useful counsel and practical advice on fighting the good fight, finishing the race and keeping the faith.
Raise your Banners saints victory is ours in Jesus Christ!
John Killeen
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a Puritan book so the language is tough to grasp if you've never read a puritan book. But so rich and a beautiful resource to delve into spiritual warfare and learning what it looks like. It's Gurnall's only work which you can tell adds a wealth of richness to the read.
James Listhartke
author contrasts the believer and unbeliever in a daily type devotional. Use it everyday to focus on right thinking to start my day
Scott O'Neil
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't express it any better then Rev. Wilkerson and Ravenhill quotes!
Daniel
Jul 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read what is effectively the 1st volume in his collection of writings and they are POWERFUL! A helpful book to use as a devotional on our engagement in everyday spiritual battles.
J.A. Medders
Au Pied De La Croix
Jul 16, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Foxe's Book of Martyrs
  • Alternative Approach to Allergies, An: The New Field of Clinical Ecology Unravels the Environmental Causes of
  • The Way to Christ
  • The Great Divorce
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • The Bruised Reed
  • Biblical Interpretation Then and Now: Contemporary Hermeneutics in the Light of the Early Church
  • The Cross and the Swastika
  • The Screwtape Letters
  • God’s Battle Plan for the Mind: The Puritan Practice of Biblical Meditation
  • The Root of the Righteous

News & Interviews

“Many lose heaven because they are ashamed to go in a fool's coat thither.” 4 likes
“Above all sins, guard against bold or arrogant ones. You are not beyond the danger of such. If caught in the web of presumptuous sin, call quickly to God for help. If you hesitate, you only give Satan time to entangle you more tightly. But if you cry out to God in true repentance, He will come at once to rescue you. The sooner you yield to the Spirit, the less damage is done to your soul.” 3 likes