Start by marking “Players Of Null A” as Want to Read:
Players Of Null A

Players Of Null A (Null-A #2)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  1,041 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Gilbert Gosseyn, the null-A genius of the Earth-Venus war, never realized that this interplanetary war was but a borrowed incident in a greater conflict until he was thrust onto the galactic battlefield as a mere pawn. But in picking Gosseyn as "expendable," those cosmic opponents unleashed forces they had never dreamed existed. One was the entrance of a powerful third par ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Players Of Null A, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Players Of Null A

Иван Величков
Поредицата от години е смятана за magnum opus на автора от родното фантастично братство, въпреки че третата ѝ част така и не беше преведена. След дълго отлаганият прочит на втората книга съм склонен, за разнообразие, да се съглася с общото мнение. Книгата развива голяма част от идеите на автора от предишни негови произведения, а също така се усеща влиянието и в много от по-късните му творби.

Джилбърт Госейн продължава да разплита мистерията около миналото си, докато се опитва да предотврати косми
prcardi
Storyline: 3/5
Characters: 1/5
Writing Style: 2/5
World: 2/5

Vogt's Null series just cannot get all the positive components in place at the same time. The first in the series, The World of Null-A, had some really creative ideas and a fascinating world. It suffered, in contrast, from awful writing and incoherent development. In this sequel, The Players of Null-A, the writing has improved by orders of magnitude and the developments and plot largely (and in comparison with the original) proceed with or
Derek
Dec 02, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gosseyn spends most of the book in a tricky stalemate with his adversary, the mysterious Follower, and it is an uncharacteristically sluggish story where the interesting events--millions of spaceships destroying hundreds or thousands of planets--seem to take place offstage. Gosseyn spends the book as the pawn in a game whose rules he doesn't understand, tossed around by players who hide their identities. The reader only sees the long game at the end.

The big reveal itself--who is the Player, and
Olethros
-¿Algunos tics de la New Wave antes de la New Wave u otra clase de trastorno con base humorística?.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. Gilbert Gosseyn trata de oponerse al dictador galáctico que busca añadir la Tierra a sus dominios mientras intenta conocer más sobre sus propios orígenes y los de sus capacidades especiales. Publicado previamente por entregas a finales de los años cuarenta. Segundo libro de la serie No-A, que puede leerse de forma independiente.

¿Quiere saber más del libr
Wade Duvall
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, golden-age, spy-fi
These books have a lot of issues, but in the end I find them very enjoyable. A.E. van Vogt has a very strange, almost arrogant style, but aside from that, and understanding that these books are a product of the times and an interesting look at early scifi, its forgivable. I really wish Goodreads had half stars, and I went back and forth on the rating.
Matteo Pellegrini
Gilbert Gosseyn, ancora all’uscuro circa il suo passato e la sua vera identità si ritrova in una trappola ordita da un misterioso personaggio ombra chiamato il Seguace. Tenta di fuggire, ma proprio mentre sta per compiere un salto grazie al suo cervello extra verso una destinazione che aveva precedentemente memorizzato, si ritrova intrappolato dentro il corpo del principe Ashargin, senza sapere come ci è arrivato, come comandarlo e come tornare al suo vero corpo.
Conscio che probabilmente è sta
Skjam!
Feb 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SF fans
Recommended to Skjam! by: Slan
Note: This book is a direct sequel to The World of Null-A and this review will spoil elements of that first novel. Like, immediately after this paragraph.

With the death of the mighty Thorson, the plans of the Greatest Empire for Venus and Earth have been thwarted. But that empire and its master Enro the Red are still active threats to the Galactic League. As well, Gilbert Gosseyn, the man with the extra brain, has come to the attention of the mysterious Follower. Even with the aid of his Null-A
Jobby
Mar 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointed with this book. I have enjoyed others by van Vogt but not this one. The main character is completely uninteresting and unlikable. His goals seem to be the fanatical protection of a colony of people on Venus but as a reader I found it hard to care about that. He also seems to have abilities that are totally unbelievable.
My experience wasn't helped by the author's introduction where he proclaimed his previous book to be the most successful SF book ever and then rambled on about G
Yukino
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miei, 2014
Dopo aver letto il primo tanto tempo fa e restia a leggere il successivo, alla fine mi sono decisa e offrantato il mio demone.

E' ho fatto bene.

Rispetto al primo la scrittura è più fluida, la trama più coinvolgente e ti trovi li pagina dopo pagina a cercare di sbrogliare questa matassa galattica, fatta di intrighi, doppi giochi e scambi di personalità.

Gosseyne qui prende coscenza di quello che è, e di quello che deve fare per spodestare Enro che sta cercando di conquistare tutta la galassia.

Davve
David Merrill
This book fits into the category of a novel of ideas. Each chapter begins with a section of Null-A abstracts. They outline the philosophy behind Null-a thinking. Unfortunately, the thinking itself dominates the book and we're treated to many passages within the protagonist's head as he uses this philosophy to puzzle out what is going on. Characterization is secondary to getting the ideas out, so much so, I didn't really care what happened to these people or how the story would end. It took a lot ...more
Sheppard
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Better story line than World of Null-A, more accessible, actually some humor. Better explanation of Null-A principles as it pertains to the story. World of Null-A was lacking in that aspect. I found that quickly reading about general semantics was a help in the grounding, which i did after reading World of Null-A. But this novel addressed it head on. Some goof ground breaking science projection in this 1948 Novel. There was actually some humor in this one. Overall this is a better book than its ...more
John (Taloni) Taloni
Continues the action of "World of Null-A" in a fairly pedestrian fashion. It's a human galaxy now at war in a way much like actual wars on Earth. The galaxy might be saved by some people trained to think a certain way, just like a movement on Earth that Vogt espoused.

This book isn't a bad example of its kind, it's just very dated. What was revolutionary then is common now. Read it for historical interest if desired, but only after reading Vogt's much better Slan and Voyage of the Space Beagle.
Artnoose Noose
One thing I appreciated about this sequel that the original book didn't have is that each chapter began with a null-A tenet, so that I started to get an idea of what they were talking about when they reference non-Aristotlian philosophy. I kind of had to piece it together bit by bit in the first book, which maybe was a plan.

I was apparently invested enough in the characters and story to push through this second book, but only just. Still, I can see how this series influenced later science ficti
Michael
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. Fast paced, surprises, ties up satisfactorily in the end. Reminded me of a small scale Dune with various schools of training and people of special ability fighting over control of a galactic empire. Plotting, intrigue, philosophy, psycology, religion but Dune took it to a larger scale with a more worked out background and more characters and groups involved.

Still, a good experience. Golden age SF with rational and superior hero triumphing in the end.
Rog Harrison
I really enjoyed this book when I first read it over forty years ago so I was a little disappointed when I read it again. Sadly the author is not much of a writer and none of the characters come across as real people. Having said that, Gilbert Gosseyn is a memorable character and some of the concepts are fascinating. I was considering re-reading some of the author's other books but now don't think I'll bother.
Urszula
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me it is a classic. Yes a bit sluggish and maybe somewhat inconsistent with the previous volume. The main character is confused most of the time and the ideas about consciousness, self awareness and the way the mind works are are not that deeply explored, but they are there. I think that this perpetual confusion of the main character is what draws me to this series. It revolves around similar frame as Philip K. Dick's works.
William Crosby
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this.

It includes epigraphs at the beginning of each chapter which express some elaboration of the Null-A concepts (similar to the Dune books). Those were also interesting.

Still, at times, the book was mechanical and step-by-step. Emotional engagement and realistic relationships was not a strong point.
Will Sheppard
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fascinating concepts found in this book led me to another, factual book: Drive Yourself Sane : Using the Uncommon Sense of General Semantics, Revised Second Edition
Jack
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this when I was in the Navy back in 1973. I know I read it because there is a little note on the inside cover saying I did. That said, I could devour 2 to 3 books an evening back then. It must not have made much of an impact, because I remember virtually none of it, some 40 years later.
Doug
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second half to the Null-A series by A. E. Van Vogt. If you read "The World of Null-A" then you HAVE to read this too. It is a great Sci-Fi trip, with Gosseyn's brain getting more powerful every day, and his extra bodies wreaking havoc on the Cosmic Chess Player. Good stuff.
Peter
May 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The Null-A books had big effect on more when I first read them - bit dated now
Luis Arenas
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
secuela directa de "el mundo de los no-a". Es bueno si has leido el primer libro..
Eddie Novak

Series book NA2
Charles
Aug 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Van Vogt could tell a good story and yet work in intersting ideas. I remember really enjoying this book when I read it, which was quite long ago now.
John
  • Star Bridge
  • Fury
  • The Stochastic Man
  • The Silver Eggheads
  • Judgment on Janus (Janus, #1)
  • Ravage
  • The Great Explosion
  • Ballroom of the Skies
Alfred Elton van Vogt was a Canadian-born science fiction author regarded by some as one of the most popular and complex science fiction writers of the mid-twentieth century—the "Golden Age" of the genre.

van Vogt was born to Russian Mennonite family. Until he was four years old, van Vogt and his family spoke only a dialect of Low German in the home.

He began his writing career with 'true story' ro
More about A.E. van Vogt...

Null-A (3 books)