Start by marking “Beautiful Oops!” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Oops!

Beautiful Oops!

A spill. A smear. A smudge. A tear. When you think you have made a mistake, think of it as an opportunity to make something beautiful!

A life lesson that all parents want their children to learn: It’s OK to make a mistake. In fact, hooray for mistakes! A mistake is an adventure in creativity, a portal of discovery. A spill doesn’t ruin a drawing—not when it becomes the sha
Published September 23rd 2010 by Workman Publishing Company (first published September 9th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful Oops!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful Oops!

Start your review of Beautiful Oops!
Karina
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE LOVE this!!! Such a great pop up book for the kiddoes.. Basically it's okay to make a mistake! Look what a mistake can be... something learned and beautiful... I recommend to all those that have littles in the house.. it made me smile and happy.
Cheryl
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How much different would my life have been, had I owned this "pop-up" book when I was a child? Not just for perfectionists, this book is for anyone who wants to be more creative, more open to possibilities. It's successful for me on both a metaphorical and literal level.
Becky
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Oops is a delightful read for both babies and adults. The unusual artistic format of doors, windows, and unfolding paper creations will surprise, entertain, and challenge readers to think differently about mistakes. Don't miss out on this simple yet important lesson; Beautiful Oops is a beautiful read.
Sahar Pirmoradian
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
“I like it, Maman! It’s fun!” This is what my almost-three-year-old toddler said about the book after asking me to read and read it again for about fives times in a row! And of course I had to continue re-reading it again at least for another 5 times!

It’s indeed a fun and interactive book for toddlers. The idea is that you can think of your mistakes as new possibilities. For example, a torn paper could be thought of the mouth of a crocodile. Or, a little drip of the paint could be imagined as w
Anmiryam
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
A customer ordered this and I read it as I was doing the receiving which led me to immediately ask the owner if she had ordered some more. A great gift for anyone who loves creative serendipity or for those of us who need a little push to remember that there is often something wonderful in what others may call a mistake. Inspiring and charming to look at -- this little book made my day much brighter.
C
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cj-shelf, am-shelf
What a beautiful lesson to teach children... How to find creative solutions to what appears to be an "oops."
Crissy
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Seeing the beauty.
Nancy Kotkin
A publishing triumph of cut-outs and lift-the-flaps; there's even a telescoping page. What a fun reminder that our "mistakes" fuel our creativity and imagination. Like this book's creator, we can all turn our oops into something beautiful. The perfect gift for a child, graduate, or a creative person of any age.
Gaby
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-kids
I loved reading this to my students, and they loved it too!
Laura (Book Scrounger)
A vibrant and interactive reminder that it's okay to make mistakes. Full review here:

Chance Lee
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-it
Cute but I unfolded the crumpled paper at the end and there was nothing inside so that was an oops.
Shiloah
I always appreciate books with the message that there can always be something salvaged and improved in any mistake.
Audrey
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
great way to celebrate artistic "mistakes". we loved the end exploring page.
Casandria
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much! It takes "mistakes" and makes them into something beautiful and wonderful!
Allison
So much wonderfulness. I think I need to be reminded that mistakes aren't only bad things.
Christen Tulli
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edsl520
Category: Concept/ Informational

Publication date: 2010

Annotation is posted above via GoodReads

Themes: Acceptance of imperfection, avoiding self-criticism, creativity

Ways to Use Book:
* Barney Saltzberg's concept book Beautiful Oops is truly engaging for students. Here, a blob of paint with a few strokes becomes a frog, and a balled up piece of garbage becomes the fleece of a lamb! Collaborate with an art teacher when reading this book aloud. After reading it, have the art teacher demonstrate how
Kaitlyn
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
This is definitely a WOW book for me because I was surprised by every page at the way the author and illustrator turned each mistake into something beautiful. I really loved this book. I think the things you can use this book for are endless with this book. Not only will it show kids they can make a mistake with their writing or art creations and turn it into something beautiful, but it can lead to a great conversation about other things that can be seen as a "mistake" but can be turned around. ...more
Sara
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Beautiful Oops is a fun, wonderful book that teaches children that mistakes can be opportunities for creativity. The illustrations, tears and folds throughout the book encourage interaction and engages them in the process of seeing imperfections in a new way.
I got this book for my son because he would get so frustrated if he made a mistake: coloring outside the lines, an accidental mark on a drawing, etc. This book helped him realize that he can make something beautiful from accidents and that
Viviane Elbee
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Fun book to read with pull out pages and a pop-up. There's a lovely message about turning mistakes into the opportunity to do something beautiful.

This is a quick read and can be read with preschoolers (though some of the flaps may be fragile), but it can also be read with elementary students.

With older children, you can discuss the message. One child pointed out "this works well in art class, but not so much on math tests."

It would also be a good book to read before an art activity - inspirin
Haya ald56
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoy reading.
I learn how. Is it amazing creative thinking and solving with art
Helen Pugsley
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love it!
Reba Walton
As I was collecting books that related to the growth mindset, I came across this book. At first, I thought that this book would be best for young children, much younger than my second-grade students. After reading the first page, though, I quickly realized how neat this simple book is. Each page shows how to turn a "mistake" into something fun, clever, and exciting. My students come to me often wanting to redo a project or start their writing over on a new paper because they believe their work h ...more
Parker Thornton
Beautiful Oops! is by Barney Saltzberg, the story states that it is okay to make mistakes. It is a fun book to read it really shows and focuses on how mistakes can create a great thing. The illustrations helps the reader stay engaged, by encouraging interaction with the reader. The whole goal of this book is to show children that by making a mistake it is not the end of the world. Everything happens for a reason, can be fixed, or made into something better.

This book is a great way to show studen
Trish
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: je, 2017
This is a great book. It shows how a mistake can be turned into something cool. It is a great inneractive book.
Danielle Truitt
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
Teaching Pre-K there is no shortage of “oops”. When ever my children are up set for making a mistake I always remind them that Pre- K is for making a mess and it is O.K. I love the book Beautiful Oops because it gives a positive spin on making mistakes and lets children know that its okay and we can learn from our oops.

The book provides a creative way to make new discoveries out of something that was unexpected. A spill on your clean, white sheet of paper can morph into a wild animal, a tear in
Heather
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books
such a fantastic board book for kids with a great message about how you can turn an "oops" into something beautiful!
Sara Jones
Feb 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great message about the beauty/potential in mistakes. Great for one-on-one reading.
Clescheid
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a beautiful board book about the creative soul! In simple pictures and words children are encouraged to find and make beauty out of everything in their path - even their mistakes!
Juliette
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to, own, year-2
Christmas '13 gift from Uncle Lee, Aunt Amanda, and Cousin Benjamin!
Kimberly
This book is so fun! The page with the holes--amazing. Kudos to Mr. Saltzberg; this is one I would consider gifting in the future.
What's the Name o...: Short artbook with few words [s] 3 32 Sep 18, 2011 04:18PM

• Ish
  • The Most Magnificent Thing
  • Sky Color
  • Crow Call
  • The Dot
  • This Is the Rope: A Story From the Great Migration
  • When Jessie Came Across the Sea
  • The Berenstains' B Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • Firefly July: A Year of Very Short Poems
  • Perfect Square
  • The Dreamer
  • The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes
  • The Other Side
Barney Saltzberg is the author and illustrator of close to 50 books for children, including Beautiful Oops!, Arlo Needs Glasses, Good Egg, Cornelius P. Mud , Crazy Hair Day and the bestselling Touch and Feel Kisses series with over 800,000 copies in print. He has two new releases, Tea With Grandpa and Chengdu Could Not Would Not Fall Asleep coming this spring.
Additionally, he’s recorded four CDs

News & Interviews

“When you think you have made a mistake, think of it as an opportunity to make something beautiful!” 7 likes