Start by marking “30 Days of Night, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
30 Days of Night, Vol. 1

30 Days of Night, Vol. 1 (30 Days of Night #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  16,193 Ratings  ·  481 Reviews
In a sleepy, secluded Alaska town called Barrow, the sun sets and doesn't rise for over thirty consecutive days and nights. From the darkness, across the frozen wasteland, an evil will come that will bring the residents of Barrow to their knees. The only hope for the town is the Sheriff and Deputy, husband and wife who are torn between their own survival and saving the tow ...more
Published March 27th 2007 by IDW Publishing (first published 2001)

'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceDark Lover by J.R. WardThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Best Adult Vampire Books
1,572 books — 7,336 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiPreludes & Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman
Best Graphic Novels
2,611 books — 5,723 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Not sure what to think about this one.
I mean, it's short and there's honestly not much to it.

description

There's a town in Alaska that's getting ready to go through this 30 day thing where the sun doesn't rise. That sort of stuff just doesn't compute with me. At. All.
I don't like cold weather.
Anything under 70 degrees (view spoiler) is cold, by the way. That's right, Bing, you can take that White Christmas and shove it up your ass.
Snow? No, thank you.
A
Alejandro
The 30 Days of Night begins here!

This is first TPB in the series.

Creative Team:

Writer & Co-creator: Steve Niles

Illustrator & Co-creator: Ben Templesmith

Letterer: Robbie Robbins

30 DAYS OF NIGHT

Barrow, Alaska, is a town where from November 18th to December 17th, each year, they have thirty days of night, since due its position in the globe, the sun isn’t visible over there during that period.

Surely it’s an inconvenience alright, but when you add to this situation, vampires, real blood-
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈

Read a book with a number in the title

Man this was fun.

I watched this movie umpteen million years ago when it came out and Josh Hartnett was still the premiere heartthrob of the day. It had vampires exactly the way I like them. Vicious and animalistic. Merciless hunters but still intelligent and exacting. It was a movie that was very heavy on action and gore and survival but a little lighter on plot and nuance.

The comic is even better.

I loved Ben Templesmith's art. Loved loved loved loved loved
Anna
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Την περίοδο που οι βρικόλακες στην τέχνη έγιναν χορτοφάγοι και ευαισθητούληδες, ήρθε αυτό το βιβλίο για να μας θυμίσει ... τι εστί βερίκοκο! Βρικόλακες - τέρατα, κυνηγάνε σαν αρπακτικά την ανθρώπινη λεία τους, χωρίς δισταγμούς, συναισθηματισμούς ή ηθικές αξίες, οργανωμένοι σε κοπάδι σαρκοφάγων, με τον αρχηγό της αγέλης να δίνει το γενικό πρόσταγμα. Σκοτεινό και ατμοσφαιρικό, με το σκηνικό του κυνηγιού να διαδραματίζεται σε μια πόλη της Αλάσκας βυθισμένη στο σκοτάδι για 30 μέρες κατά την περίοδο ...more
Jeremy Stephens
May 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-of-2012
I found this graphic novel to be very overrated. I'd like to start off by saying I love the premise- a group of vampires rampaging in an Alaskan town during its annual thirty days of darkness. The problem I have is that the story seemed so rushed. I saw this story as having so much potential and yet the conflict was quickly resolved in a mere two pages. Further more, I felt that the vampires were defeated way too easily. It was almost as if the writer got bored with the story and decided to jus ...more
Kristijan
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
1. zvezdica za ideju: Vampiri čekaju da na Aljasci padne nooooooooć da bi napravili pravi mali krvavi pir
2. zvezdica za artwork: Prilično minimalistički u poređenju sa nekim grafičkim novelama, ali po meni sasvim odgovara i tematici i settingu i mračnoj noti koju ova grafička novela ima
3. zvezdica zato što vampiri ne sjaje već su žestoke krvopije
4. zvezdica za humor autora
5. zvezdica zato što sam progutao novelu u rekordnom roku - i bio odmah spreman za još!!!

Nedostaci (da, oni postoje ali ne ut
Marianna Neal
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
As a fan of horror and scary vampires that don't sparkle, I have to say I really enjoyed this dark and brutal story with its unique art. My only complaint is that it's actually too fast-paced, to the point where it feels too brief. The story covers a month worth of time, but feels more like a couple of days. I'll definitely be reading more though!
Christopher
If there's one thing to take comfort in when under attack by vampires, it's that you only have to survive for at the most a few hours until the sun comes back out. But what if you're in a small Alaskan town and the sun won't be coming out for a month?

This is an incredible setup for a horror story. It's a unique take that introduces new possibilities for vampires, set in an isolated territory with distinct borders. Unfortunately, this is the only thing the book gets right. It's a total waste of a
Nilo
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A simple but point-black storyline is what this graphic novel offers. It has an unrestrained rhythm and one of the best final lines I've ever read. Definitely Steves Niles has a new fan on me. As regard the artwork, it is so darksome, noisy and kind of grungy. Ben Templesmith really knows how to reflect an spectacular horror atmosphere.

Perhaps the only thing I dislike is the fact that it doesn't have a more elaborate character development; but it is okay considering this is the first volume tho
Paul Nelson
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Finally got to read the graphic novel that spurned the movie and I have to say it is impressive.
The artwork is something I think you have to get used to, not overly detailed, dark and blurry but it sets the atmosphere to the story perfectly. The darkness brings a world of shadow, hiding places in every corner, creepy and at the same time adrenaline infused.
The story is frantically paced and as a result you never get a connection to the characters, this is one point where the film triumphs over t
Ken-ichi
Aug 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: escape, comics
Vampires go apeshit when they realize (finally) that there are 30 days where the sun never sets in Podunk, AK. Art's kinda fun, story's kinda dumb. No surprises there.
Kazza
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, horror
This is how you do vampires and scary shit.
Jesse
Jan 14, 2009 rated it did not like it
This graphic novel takes an interesting premise - vampires attacking a small town while it lies sunless through an arctic winter - and completely squanders it through mediocre writing and irritating artwork. The characters are beyond shallow, with a few stock lines parceled out on each page, and virtually no actual dialog. Worse, the artist chose to locate the human characters in the same region of the uncanny valley as the monsters, making it hard not to cheer for them to turn their weapons upo ...more
Erika
Loved the artwork, but I'm kind of so-so on the storyline. I think that has more to do with having seen the before prior to reading this though. This didn't seem quite as fleshed out in comparison. I haven't seen any of the half-baked sequels though, so I'm going into the rest of these blind. I'm hoping it helps..
Liz Janet
Mar 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
I felt nothing.
Kate
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

There's a lot to like with this graphic novel, visually it is pretty stunning although it might not suit everyone. At times it looked quite blurred as though the artist doesn't want you seeing some things too clearly. The artwork still looks pretty amazing but consistency seems to be a bit of an issue, I noticed this more in the beginning of the comic more than the end.

The colour palette is dark, to suit the hopelessness of the survivors situation, with vibrant red being used liberally when blo
Maryam
Actual rating 2.5
Koen
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I know I saw the movie once, and that I liked it..
Forgot all about it, then I found this, read it ... and, hell yeah, this is something I can definitely continue reading!

The artwork gave the whole thing an extra level of peculiar.. The way this is drawn with all its crudeness and imperfections, it totally suits this story and the dramatisation behind it.

Gef
Oct 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I saw the film adaptation of this novel a few years ago and was delighted to see a genuinely good movie that was: 1) adapted from a comic book, because--let's face it--not all of them have been worth bragging about; 2) firmly entrenched in the horror genre, because--again, let's face it--Hollywood and horror rarely blend well. So, after enjoying the movie I finally got around to reading its source material, and I think is another example of how a good movie comes from a better book.

It's apparen
Guillermo
Jan 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I'm one of those people who saw 30 Days of Night the movie before picking up a copy of the graphic novel - written by Steve Niles and illustrated by Ben Templesmith. And while the movie is rather vague now - I must've watched it at least two years ago - I have to utter the unholy phrase of "I liked the movie better."

Don't get me wrong, the graphic novel's a must read - dare I say, a part of the ever growing canon of Vampire Literature. But it's lacks something that the movie offers: Build up.

Sur
L. McCoy
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of horror.
What's it about?
In Alaska there are 30 days where it's dark as night so vampires (real vampires, not fake, kissy moo-moo ones) take advantage of that and start treating Barrow county, Alaska like an all you can eat buffet.

Pros
The story's really interesting and well told. There is some bad-a** vampire action and it is full of great horror! It is unpredictable for sure.

Cons
The art is messy, which is weird to me since I usually like Templesmith's art. The characters are very bland. The ending is pr
[Name Redacted]
Oct 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
An excellent revival of a more ancient form of the vampire legend. The art is phenomenal, the pacing brisk, and the writing crisp, but I think the best part of this story is the decision to depict vampires as inhuman predators driven by hunger instead of sex. Rather than embodying human sensuality, they are written and drawn as shark-like beasts, whose seeming humanity masks a horde of gluttonous sociopaths.
Estelle
Disappointing. There's potential there but the story feels way too rushed and ends too quickly, too easily. There's hardly any suspense or tension at all. As for the artwork I can't decide if I liked it or not. Sometimes it looks great, but mostly it's a mess and it's hard to see what is really happening.
Ugh.
Wealhtheow
Aug 31, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Thirty days without sunshine means a whole month of fun for creatures of the underworld. The art is beautiful (if gory) and the story vivid.
Samantha A
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dark, creepy, and all around awesome! Loving graphic novels right now. I really, really loved this one, especially with the different type of artwork going on. Gave it such an eerie vibe.
Sooraya Evans
May 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Loved the premise.
Hated the artwork.
Could have been more.
The movie adaptation nailed it better though.
Still an overall good read. Do give it a go.
Trudi
LOVED the drawings...amazing atmosphere. Steve Niles has single-handedly re-invented the vampire, stealing it back from the trashy, paranormal bodice rippers!
Roman Stadtler
Oct 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
What a snoozer! I should know better by now that Steve Niles just doesn't do it for me. I often like his ideas, but then I'm always disappointed that he doesn't really go anywhere with them. Now, this should've been cool (HA); remote setting, dark, cold; perfect locale for bloody horrors to commence. But the story isn't scary in the slightest, the characters aren't interesting enough to care about them getting slaughtered, and the main conceit that the vampires savagely kill everyone in this tin ...more
Gillian
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: spoop, comics
This book was definitely ruined for me because I already saw the movie. 😭
Querus Abuttu
  • 30 Days of Night: Official Novelization of The Film
  • Blood: The Last Vampire 2002
  • Johnny The Homicidal Maniac #1
  • Fell, Feral City
  • Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4)
  • The Crow
  • The Art of Sin City
  • Le Portrait de Petite Cossette 1 (Le Portrait de Petite Cossette, #1)
  • Hellblazer: Original Sins
  • Lovecraft
  • Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer
  • Hellblazer: All His Engines
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 1: London Calling
  • Wanted
STEVE NILES is one of the writers responsible for bringing horror comics back to prominence, and was recently named by Fangoria magazine as one of it's "13 rising talents who promise to keep us terrified for the next 25 years."

Niles is currently working for the four top American comic publishers - Marvel, DC, Image and Dark Horse. He got his start in the industry when he formed his own publishing
More about Steve Niles...

30 Days of Night (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 8: Red Snow
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 9: Beyond Barrow
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 10: 30 Days 'Til Death
  • 30 Days of Night: Night, Again
“The climate of Barrow is Arctic. Temperatures range from cold as shit to fucking freezing.” 25 likes
“Los que fueron masacrados huyeron a su manera. Huyeron hacia algo que había mas allá; el cielo o en el peor de los casos la oscuridad eterna. Ellos fueron los afortunados porque los que quedan atrás están en el infierno.” 1 likes