Start by marking “30 Days of Night, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
30 Days of Night, Vol. 1

30 Days of Night, Vol. 1

(30 Days of Night #1)

In a sleepy, secluded Alaska town called Barrow, the sun sets and doesn't rise for over thirty consecutive days and nights. From the darkness, across the frozen wasteland, an evil will come that will bring the residents of Barrow to their knees. The only hope for the town is the Sheriff and Deputy, husband and wife who are torn between their own survival and saving the tow ...more
Published March 27th 2007 by IDW Publishing (first published January 10th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about 30 Days of Night, Vol. 1, please sign up.
M.E. Life is too short to drudge through books you don't like. Spend that time reading something you enjoy.
'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceDark Lover by J.R. WardThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Best Adult Vampire Books
1,613 books — 7,564 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiPreludes & Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman
Best Graphic Novels
2,955 books — 6,416 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of 30 Days of Night, Vol. 1
Anne
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Not sure what to think about this one.
I mean, it's short and there's honestly not much to it.

description

There's a town in Alaska that's getting ready to go through this 30 day thing where the sun doesn't rise. That sort of stuff just doesn't compute with me. At. All.
I don't like cold weather.
Anything under 70 degrees (view spoiler) is cold, by the way. That's right, Bing, you can take that White Christmas and shove it up your ass.
Snow? No, thank you.
A
Sam Quixote
Dec 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books where I know the author isn’t very good but the title is so well known at this point that I feel obligated to read it as a fan of the comics medium. At least 30 Days of Night is short!

Vampires invade the small Alaskan town of Barrow which goes for weeks without any sunlight - hey, perfect for vamps, eh? The townsfolk and the vamps tangle, and that’s that.

Paper-thin characters, barely any plot, unengaging dialogue, no pacing, crap art: this thing is the whole package
Alejandro
The 30 Days of Night begins here!

This is first TPB in the series.

Creative Team:

Writer & Co-creator: Steve Niles

Illustrator & Co-creator: Ben Templesmith

Letterer: Robbie Robbins

30 DAYS OF NIGHT

Barrow, Alaska, is a town where from November 18th to December 17th, each year, they have thirty days of night, since due its position in the globe, the sun isn’t visible over there during that period.

Surely it’s an inconvenience alright, but when you add to this situation, vampires, real blood-suck
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈

Read a book with a number in the title

Man this was fun.

I watched this movie umpteen million years ago when it came out and Josh Hartnett was still the premiere heartthrob of the day. It had vampires exactly the way I like them. Vicious and animalistic. Merciless hunters but still intelligent and exacting. It was a movie that was very heavy on action and gore and survival but a little lighter on plot and nuance.

The comic is even better.

I loved Ben Templesmith's art. Loved loved loved loved loved
Jeremy Stephens
May 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-of-2012
I found this graphic novel to be very overrated. I'd like to start off by saying I love the premise- a group of vampires rampaging in an Alaskan town during its annual thirty days of darkness. The problem I have is that the story seemed so rushed. I saw this story as having so much potential and yet the conflict was quickly resolved in a mere two pages. Further more, I felt that the vampires were defeated way too easily. It was almost as if the writer got bored with the story and decided to jus ...more
Marianna Neal
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
As a fan of horror and scary vampires that don't sparkle, I have to say I really enjoyed this dark and brutal story with its unique art. My only complaint is that it's actually too fast-paced, to the point where it feels too brief. The story covers a month worth of time, but feels more like a couple of days. I'll definitely be reading more though!
DarienMoya

The art in this is trippy as hell and I don’t know if I hate it or like it 🥴

Overall the story is pretty “meh” and this is one of those where the movie is most definitely better than the book 🤷🏽‍♀️. I have no interest to read the rest.
Christopher
If there's one thing to take comfort in when under attack by vampires, it's that you only have to survive for at the most a few hours until the sun comes back out. But what if you're in a small Alaskan town and the sun won't be coming out for a month?

This is an incredible setup for a horror story. It's a unique take that introduces new possibilities for vampires, set in an isolated territory with distinct borders. Unfortunately, this is the only thing the book gets right. It's a total waste of a
Anthony Vacca
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Make no mistake, 30 Days of Night hinges upon an inspired conceit: the bloodsucking undead figure out that polar nights exist and flock to an isolated community in Alaska for a month-long blood orgy that won't be disturbed by that pesky sun. The promise of this mostly sustains the narrative despite much fumbling. Inconsistent narration, an inconsequential side plot (for these few issues at least, and that is what counts) involving a New Orleans Voodoo Queen (I guess?) and her son, hazy internal ...more
L. McCoy
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of horror.
What's it about?
In Alaska there are 30 days where it's dark as night so vampires (real vampires, not fake, kissy moo-moo ones) take advantage of that and start treating Barrow county, Alaska like an all you can eat buffet.

Pros
The story's really interesting and well told. There is some bad-a** vampire action and it is full of great horror! It is unpredictable for sure.

Cons
The art is messy, which is weird to me since I usually like Templesmith's art. The characters are very bland. The ending is pr
Elyse
I loved this movie when it came out. And have seen it many times since. And I'm definitely not a huge horror or vampire person. I was happy to finally read the first graphic novel! I really liked it. The movie was fairly close to the graphic novel, for all intents and purposes. Even some of the vampires in the movie looked identical to the illustrations! I can't wait to read more because where the heck is it going now?!
Ken-ichi
Aug 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: escape, comics
Vampires go apeshit when they realize (finally) that there are 30 days where the sun never sets in Podunk, AK. Art's kinda fun, story's kinda dumb. No surprises there.
Quentin Wallace
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a classic, but there's a few things that keep me from giving it 5 stars. It's a little short for one thing, and the story never really gets a chance to develop. There's also a lot that happens off panel and it's left to the reader to fill in the blanks. Honestly most of the plot points are pretty vague. It's almost like Steve Niles came up with this great concept (vampires in Alaska where they have 30 days of total night to wreak havoc on the sparse human population) and then just put ou ...more
Jesse
Jan 14, 2009 rated it did not like it
This graphic novel takes an interesting premise - vampires attacking a small town while it lies sunless through an arctic winter - and completely squanders it through mediocre writing and irritating artwork. The characters are beyond shallow, with a few stock lines parceled out on each page, and virtually no actual dialog. Worse, the artist chose to locate the human characters in the same region of the uncanny valley as the monsters, making it hard not to cheer for them to turn their weapons upo ...more
Paul Nelson
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Finally got to read the graphic novel that spurned the movie and I have to say it is impressive.
The artwork is something I think you have to get used to, not overly detailed, dark and blurry but it sets the atmosphere to the story perfectly. The darkness brings a world of shadow, hiding places in every corner, creepy and at the same time adrenaline infused.
The story is frantically paced and as a result you never get a connection to the characters, this is one point where the film triumphs over t
Nilo Esquivel
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is fucking astonishing! A graphic novel with a simple but point-blank storyline. It has an unrestrained rhythm and one of the best final lines I've ever read. Definitely Steves Niles has a fan from hell on me. As regard the artwork, it’s so darksome, so grungy. I really do think Ben Templesmith really knows how to reflect an spectacular horror atmosphere.

Perhaps the only thing I disliked was it doesn’t have a more elaborate character development, but it’s completely okay considering the na
Kazza
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, horror
This is how you do vampires and scary shit.
Mark Silva
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, gn-and-cb, horror
I don't know if the 2007 film is based on this comic, but I didn't even remember much of it, so I intend to rewatch it. I love that vampires are ruthless, intelligent, demanding hunters. The plot is very heavy in action, gore, and survival, with lots of emotion and nuances.

I don't really like horror stories, but I really like that one. The whole premise is interesting and it creates a dramatic charge that made me very curious to continue reading the series.
47Time
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first time I read this comic I wasn't impressed, maybe because of its briefness or its sketchy artwork. Somehow I found it more enjoyable this time around, though I'm still not a fan of horror. It's a quick read, so it has little time to explore characters or settings. It feels like a good intro, though, to a universe that has had several more stories told right up until the present day. I feel I can explore more of this universe now.

The sun doesn't rise in Barrow, Alaska between mid-Novembe
James DeSantis
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This was decent.

Steve Niles know how to build tension and give a decent voice to a lot of characters. He does both well. The pacing is a little odd as things happen so quick. Also the art is a little off and it's hard to tell what the fuck is happening but I also love the cold feel of it.

Oh, what is it about? Basically vampires come to Alaska and kill people since the sun goes down for 30 days. It's a cool concept that works out better here then in the movie version.

Okay this is a really shor
Roman Stadtler
Oct 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
What a snoozer! I should know better by now that Steve Niles just doesn't do it for me. I often like his ideas, but then I'm always disappointed that he doesn't really go anywhere with them. Now, this should've been cool (HA); remote setting, dark, cold; perfect locale for bloody horrors to commence. But the story isn't scary in the slightest, the characters aren't interesting enough to care about them getting slaughtered, and the main conceit that the vampires savagely kill everyone in this tin ...more
BellaGBear
I liked the story of this one, but disliked the artwork.

The story is a very cool no nonsense, vampires want to kill everyone story. Once in a while those are very nice stories. Monsters are monsters and people are food without further moral dilemma's.

However the artwork made this very unclear to read. It did not speak to me at all. It was certainly original, so I suggest if you like your art original in comics check this one out. I usually like original art, but the thing with that is that some
Erika
Loved the artwork, but I'm kind of so-so on the storyline. I think that has more to do with having seen the before prior to reading this though. This didn't seem quite as fleshed out in comparison. I haven't seen any of the half-baked sequels though, so I'm going into the rest of these blind. I'm hoping it helps..
Bernie Gourley
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story takes the run-of-the-mill vampire tale into more chilling territory by setting it in Barrow (a town on the northern end of Alaska that sits within the Arctic Circle) in the dead of winter when weeks pass without sunlight. The vampires, thus, figure they have a month to feed without having to hide from the light, or risk being staked to death in their sleep.

On the day of Barrow’s final sunset of the year, the Vampires send in a scout to destroy all communications – starting by stealin
Harsh Kumar
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Darkness, Vampires, love, A town under a malign influence.
Awuuu
Me likey.
Me likey alot.
Jay
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
A solid vampire story with one hell of a premise, but it suffers from flat characters and an art style that is often more ugly than intriguing. Still, the action comes thick and fast, and is more creative than it could have been. Good, but hardly great. Honestly, I preferred the movie.
Kate

There's a lot to like with this graphic novel, visually it is pretty stunning although it might not suit everyone. At times it looked quite blurred as though the artist doesn't want you seeing some things too clearly. The artwork still looks pretty amazing but consistency seems to be a bit of an issue, I noticed this more in the beginning of the comic more than the end.

The colour palette is dark, to suit the hopelessness of the survivors situation, with vibrant red being used liberally when blo
Mladen
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I’m one those guys who got exposed to the movie first, and didn’t know it was based on the comic. Luckily, I finally decided to pick it up, and read it. And…I got some thoughts that I liked to share.

What I liked: Story being similar to the movie with some small differences. Making creatures of the night almost invincible to the point, where our main characters have a small glimpse of hope, in defeating them. The visual design of the vampires had a very terrifying nightmarish look. The coloring I
Angie
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Book was only so-so. I had to read it because it's popular and even had a movie made about it. The comic is so short. So short in fact I feel like I didn't really get to know the characters or find out much about the plot. Some vampires go to a town in Alaska where one month of the year there is no sun. That way they can feed. Some members of the community try to fight and then come up with an idea to fight the vampires that actually works. We find nothing else about what happens later because t ...more
Estelle
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. There's potential there but the story feels way too rushed and ends too quickly, too easily. There's hardly any suspense or tension at all. As for the artwork I can't decide if I liked it or not. Sometimes it looks great, but mostly it's a mess and it's hard to see what is really happening.
Ugh.
Castle Dracula: 30 Days of Night 3 17 Jun 16, 2018 07:35PM

• American Vampire, Vol. 1
  • Wanted
  • Tremor Dose (comiXology Originals)
  • 300
  • Severed
  • Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter, #1)
  • Clive Barker's Hellraiser Vol. 1
  • Clive Barker's Hellraiser Vol. 4
  • Dracula: Son of the Dragon (comiXology Originals)
  • Wytches, Volume 1
  • The Crow
  • Preacher, Book 1
  • Locke & Key, Volume 1: Welcome to Lovecraft
  • Clive Barker's Hellraiser Vol. 5
STEVE NILES is one of the writers responsible for bringing horror comics back to prominence, and was recently named by Fangoria magazine as one of it's "13 rising talents who promise to keep us terrified for the next 25 years."

Niles is currently working for the four top American comic publishers - Marvel, DC, Image and Dark Horse. He got his start in the industry when he formed his own publishing

30 Days of Night (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days