Start by marking “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street” as Want to Read:

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  19,408 Ratings  ·  520 Reviews
And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street
Published August 19th 1989 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published December 21st 1937)

Alejandro
Here, started it everything!

A DATE AT MULBERRY STREET FOR IMMORTALITY

That can’t be my story. That’s only a start.

I’ll say that a ZEBRA was pulling that cart.

This is the very first story by Dr. Seuss, here, started it all.

And since this beginning, you can appreciate the distinctive style of Dr. Seuss.

A kid is walking to his home, and he’s thinking what “event” will talk about with his dad that he “saw” in Mulberry Street (the route to his home). And obviously, never is too good, never is
Archit Ojha
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks

Reading this in my kid voice, I rediscovered the joys of fabricating the reality as a child. The way a child sees the world and interlaces with it his dreamy imaginations.

As an adult, you know the difference between reality and fantasy but as a child it is all one fabric.

Gives you an idea how we all used to blow up the realities when reciting a true event.

I couldn't fully explain,
Things were not so plain.

How one thing led to another.
How the giraffe became my friend's brother.
Lee Thompson
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We got this from the library for 3 year old Rae. She loved it. She asked if all children have their imaginations strangled by adults like the kid in this book.
Michael Finocchiaro
Marvin spins a wonderful tale for his dad when he gets home from school turning minnows into whales. I remember the pictures from when I was a kid and now can appreciate the way the story encourages imagination – even if the dad is kind of a wet blanket at the end.
ivana18
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
A very short and very sweet children's book. A beautiful tale about one boy's (vivid) imagination. This is my first Dr. Seuss and I'll read more of his creations, I have much respect for children's authors, while it might seem easy to write children's books, I'm sure it's more difficult than it looks. This is simply lovely....I had a smile plastered on my face all the way trough.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic story about a child allowed to run free with his imagination. The very first Dr. Seuss book definitely tells you of the things to come.
Kathryn
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Seuss's first published children's book was certainly groundbreaking for its time. It was, indeed, rejected 27 times before Seuss had a chance encounter with an friend-turned-editor whom he bumped into while walking in New York City one day (see, awesome things do happen on average streets every day!) The editor took a chance on the young author/illustrator and the rest, as they say, is history.

I don't remember reading it as a kid, whether because I was not exposed to it or it simply wasn't
Rupert Dreyfus
We learn at the beginning of the story that a child called Marco has a vibrant imagination. This vibrant imagination, however, tends to annoy his father who wants him to observe what he really sees on his journey to school and back.

It turns out that on this journey Marco only sees a horse and wagon. He then wonders how he can make this mundane observation more interesting and begins a sequence of modifications of the spectacle until Mulberry Street is bursting with a spectacular and unusual par
Shanna Gonzalez
May 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-04-08
This is the first of Dr. Seuss's books for children, and it is a good introduction to the imaginative creativity which opened his career as an enormously popular children's writer. In this story a young boy walking home from school, and on seeing a simple horse and cart, embellishes it in his mind by first changing the animal, then the conveyance, then adds passengers, and so on, until the horse and cart are transformed into a veritable parade. This is a quite enjoyable flight of imagination.

Unf

description

description
Soplada
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This children story handles one of the most children psychological issue it is : confidence and how parents can switch it on or off.
how come that it is for both children and adults ?

PDF link for the Goodreaders :
Navaneeta
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fav, children
This story explains everything about how we transcend the ordinary in our day-to-day living, letting our imagination take us to a world of wish fulfillment. How we transform the dreariness of a Mulberry street of life where "nothing ever happens" into an exciting world full of indian rajahs and chinese chopsticks, a confetti throwing airplane and a trailer pulled by an elephant!

And the most cruel part of the story is also what makes it so real... Marco's telling his father with a red face that i
McLean
Mar 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this, it's pretty obvious that it's from before Seuss had really polished his style. The usually flawless rhythm is occasionally spotty, and there's not the same level of giddy inventiveness present in so many of his other books. At the same time, this book was written before Seuss had moved into using purely anapestic tetrameter, which makes for some interesting variety of sound. While in some of his later works he would begin to break from the anapestic tetrameter model in very methodi ...more
Gerry
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On a walk home from school Marco sees a horse and cart in Mulberry Street. Wanting to tell his Dad something exciting, he imagines what it could turn out to be.

His imagination runs riot and from a simple horse and cart, it metarmorphoses into a cart pulled by a zebra, then a chariot pulled by a zebra before we have a reindeer pulling a sledge, an elephant pulling a brass band and other incarnations before Sergeant Mulvaney escorts the whole shebang down Mulberry Street.

Obviously it all happens o
Emilyn
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book - it's the very first children's book Dr. Seuss published - and it does make one think! I'd recommend it to all my story-telling friends because it reminds me of how I'm always changing my story to try to make it better.
It also made me sad because it shows about how imagination is often discouraged.
Mushfiq
An amazing book with so many life lessons. Dr. Seuss is just awesome with his writings & we must get our kids, read his books.
Mike
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mike by: Shannon
Shelves: favorites, shannon
Chinamen who eat with sticks just can't be beat as they're marching and singing down Mulberry Street.
Rossy
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Such an imagination! Maybe I'd have liked it better if I had myself a little bit more of it, lol!
Sonia
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tutoring-books
It's a story about a boy who uses his imagination on his way home. though it's sad he couldn't tell the tale to his father.
Mya
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used to live on Mulberry street Memories form back than
Melissa
So apparently this was the very first Suess book. Published nearly 80 years ago it is a classic indeed. I had never heard of this book before. My stepdaughter was cleaning out her room at her mother's house and brought my son a giraffe that she was given at Easter. Apparently, that giraffe had to do with this book so my son wanted me to read the book to him.

Normally, right here I would give a synopsis of the book but there is a more pressing issue I have to get into. So the copy I read to my son
Romee Darling
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
This was such an amazing tale. It reminded me of the way my friend tells me stories,making even the simplest thing into something magical and unique.
Ameera Talal
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some stories retain their magic when left untold..
Eskimo Princess Jenkins
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-s-books, 2017
I actually had never read this one before, today I read it to my daughter's class.
Its cute
Monty
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I remembered books such as When the Grinch Stole Christmas and Green Eggs and Ham from my childhood, but the first time I happened upon this was in my local library last week.

Theodor Seuss Geisel's first children's book is a charming 'tall tale' about the power of imagination. It tells the story of Marco, a boy heading home from school who has promised to tell his father what he sees on the way back. He spots a horse and cart going down the street, and, upon deciding it's too uninteresting a sto
Stephanie Tara
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Suess got off to a great big bang—with this, his first children's book. And we have a great big bang of a book too, complete with the full extent of his amazingly out-there-in-the-farthest-reaches-of-the-universe imagination.

How did he come up with that unbelievably addictive rhyme? Legend says: the train he took home from a trip that year - the chug/chug/chug of the rails...sort of stuck' in his mind, his SEUSSIAN mind that is...and was forevermore to be known as, well, Suessian rhyme.

Th
David Drent
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the young at heart
I love Dr. Seuss
Dolly
Aug 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
Imaginative story that also speaks about telling the truth. It has the classic rhythmic, rhyming narrative and fantastical, cartoonish illustrations that we've come to expect from books by Dr. Seuss. I know that I've read this at least a couple of times.

This book was featured as one of the selections for the March 2015 Dr. Seuss reads for the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Jason
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-cass
This book is pretty much about my daughter, if she sees something slightly interesting she will tell everybody but with each telling it becomes more and more extravagant. This book is about a little boy how has been told by his dad to look at things on his way from school and to tell him what he saw but to not make the story crazy "Do not turn minnows into whales!" the boy sees a little horse and cart but decides it is boring and soon there is a band and elephants and a plane, so he rushes home ...more
Dehlia
Nov 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wee-ones
I grew up loving this book. I bet we read it weekly for a while. I finally got around to reading it to the girls on Wednesday night, after our country elected a sexist, racist misogynist. And here is why this book won't be read again:

"Hmmm... A reindeer and a sleigh…
Say-- anyone could think of that,
Jack or Fred or Joe or Nat--
Say, even Jane could think of that."

Because it was assumed in 1937 that the female brain was less creative, less advanced, less capable than the male brain.
Author 9 4 Feb 29, 2016 11:30AM
Seuss Lovers: And to Think I saw it on Mulberry Street 1 0 Dec 06, 2012 06:30PM
MCC Children's Li...: Picture Book 2 1 Apr 17, 2012 09:45AM
  • It's Not Easy Being Big! (Bright & Early Books)
  • Old Hat, New Hat
  • Snug House, Bug House (Bright & Early Books)
  • Leo the Lop Tail Two
  • Miss Nelson Has a Field Day (Miss Nelson, #3)
  • Cowardly Clyde
  • Horns to Toes and in Between
  • Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?
  • It's a Busy, Busy World
  • Merry Christmas, Curious George
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?
  • Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move
More about Dr. Seuss...
“And that is a story that no one can beat,
When I say that I saw it on Mulberry Street.”
30 likes
“How a plain and wagon on Mulberry Street, Grows into a story that no one can beat” 2 likes