Start by marking “KEROTAKIS” as Want to Read:
KEROTAKIS

KEROTAKIS

KEROTAKIS is Janice Lee's postmodern exploration of consciousness, form and narrative, as it follows the journey of G.I.L.L. A contemporary reimagining of Frankenstein that takes us forwards, backwards and sideways through time and space, this is a cutting-edge novel for the multimedia age.

With enormous tenderness and craft – - (this writer is a design genius in a way that
Published May 2010 by Dog Horn Publishing

To ask other readers questions about KEROTAKIS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about KEROTAKIS

Peter Tieryas
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kerotakis by Janice Lee is a chant, a singularity sucking on the neurons of your soul, a conversation between a futuristic cyborg, a scientist from the past, a real brain, a painter and author and a mother out of time, and you, the orbital collapse of a gravitational anomaly spurred by an inquisition of the metaphysics of time and literature. Kerotakis is physics, poetry, fiction, ontology, and metamorphosis hurled together into a hurricane of Lee’s prose.

Kyle Muntz
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read this on the plane home from AWP. Kerotakis is a fascinating book: part philosophical investigation, part fragmented narrative, part disembodied poetics. Sort of like what might happen if Wittgenstein wrote a novel, Lee refines the philosophical aphorism to the point it becomes poetry, with digressions on alchemy, phenomenology, being. The language is intensely sculpted, with heavy formal invention. There are elements of narrative though I'd guess that anyone who became too fixates on them w ...more
David
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm impressed how cerebrally challenging this book is without losing me. It's demanding, but it also pulls along. It's definitely a highly unusual work, so multi-layered with the nature of perception, mysticism, science, philosophy, and blendings thereof. It seems to have part of itself on the page and part of itself created in the mind of the reader during the act of reading. And, challenging though it may be, it is also rewarding. Very much so.
Edward Rathke
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a very quick and dense and spectacular read.

It's been a while since I've read something thoroughly experimental and formally challenging. It's been longer since I've read something that feels like it needs those elements and those elements add to the story. I think the story needs these elements.

It's a book that's maybe too smart for me, and I know Lee's smarter than me, but that doesn't make it any less interesting of a read. I don't know if it's enjoyable, but it's quick enough that it
Jared Levine
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I could not put down this book from the very moment I bought it. It's incredibly imaginative, tells a narrative in the most beautifully fragmented way. It is poetic, yet subdued by the story and the characters. At moments, I was so involved with the character development, that it wasn't until after turning the page when I realized, "that was the most poetic thing I've read in a minute."

This is a book that holds importance with undertones of existentialism, gender politics, and probably more. Wha
Michelle
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think I missed this book in 2010 because I was injured and under a narcotic blanket for most of the year -- but it's great! a fun read, too. especially when read in a building that also kind of feels like a robot with mirror skin.
Eric
May 22, 2013
Amara Painter
Jan 20, 2018
Janice Lee
May 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Janice Lee is the author of KEROTAKIS (Dog Horn Press, 2010), Daughter (Jaded Ibis, 2011), Damnation (Penny-Ante Editions, 2013), Reconsolidation (Penny-Ante Editions, 2015), and The Sky Isn’t Blue (Civil Coping Mechanisms, 2016). She writes about the filmic long take, slowness, interspecies communication, the apocalypse, and asks the question, how do we hold space open while maintaining intimacy? ...more
“There is something which it is like to be a human being. There is something which it is like to be a bat. There is something which it is like to be me.” 2 likes