Start by marking “The Kite Runner” as Want to Read:
The Kite Runner

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Kite Runner

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  1,892,011 Ratings  ·  60,085 Reviews
A Stunning Novel of Hope and RedemptionTaking us from Afghanistan in the final days of the monarchy to the present, "The Kite Runner" is the unforgettable and beautifully told story of the friendship between two boys growing up in Kabul. Raised in the same household and sharing the same wet nurse, Amir and Hassan grow up in different worlds: Amir is the son of a prominent ...more
Audio Cassette
Published June 1st 2003 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published May 29th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Kite Runner, please sign up.

Phil Laurette It depends on the young adult. There are a number of disturbing events including rape, brutal beatings and public executions. These things are…moreIt depends on the young adult. There are a number of disturbing events including rape, brutal beatings and public executions. These things are uncomfortable for adults to read and although it is a work of fiction it is written in such a graphic and believable voice that it is hard to separate yourself from the idea that it is based on actual events. You really have to decide for yourself whether your young adult is mature enough to digest such possible realities. I read it myself before allowing my kids to read it and for me my 15 year old could handle it but many could not. Definitely not a "fun" novel to read purely for pleasure.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sam In most cultures, family loyalty rests above friendship. Even though Amir did not identify Hassan as his brother, their bond could not have been…moreIn most cultures, family loyalty rests above friendship. Even though Amir did not identify Hassan as his brother, their bond could not have been anything but brotherly. However, Amir didn't know that brotherhood was less about blood and more about how people relate to/treat/defend one another. In short, I think Amir's reaction would have been the same. For one, he only saw Hassan as a servant, not a friend or brother, and treated him like one too. In addition, Amir only wanted people to accept him and give him attention. He already recieved that from Hassan ,because of Hassan's unwavering loyalty, and there was nothing else he needed. Furthermore, he already knew he was not a virtuous person. For example, his treatment of Hassan, when deriding him for his illiteracy, and his use of toys and food instead of apologies to reduce his guilt. Finally, Amir's cowardice was part of his nature. He grew up in spendor and did not know the hardships others had to face. Amir grew up hiding from his problems in imaginary lands and fiction. He had no real grasp of reality so he feared everything. (less)

فرشاد
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In 2012, when I was Mathematics teacher at a private high school in Iran, I had an Afghan student in my class. Sometimes, I discussed with my students about literature, and I told them of novels and poem. I found it very strange that my students had no interest in literature and even sometimes looked with hostility to this discussion. Days passed and much time was left to the end of school year. One day I saw Ali, Afghan student, came to me and had a booklet in his hand and I saw in his eyes sev ...more
Britta
Nov 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"For you, a thousand times over."

"Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors."

"...attention shifted to him like sunflowers turning to the sun."

"But even when he wasn't around, he was."

"When you kill a man, you steal a life. You steal a wife's right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone's right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness. There is no act more wretched than stealing."

"...she ha
Chris
May 21, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Monkeys
Recommended to Chris by: Everyone
Shelves: poop, abandoned
I became what I am today at the age of twenty-nine, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 2008.

What I am about to tell you about what I became is going to be very shocking. It is going to manipulate your emotions. It may include some random words in my native language for no reason whatsoever. It will teach you unnecessary things about my culture. It will not be smarter than a fifth grader. And it will include as many cliches and as much foreshadowing as is humanly possible.

You are going t
J.G. Keely
This is the sort of book White America reads to feel worldly. Just like the spate of Native American pop fiction in the late eighties, this is overwhelmingly colonized literature, in that it pretends to reveal some aspect of the 'other' culture, but on closer inspection (aside from the occasional tidbit) it is a thoroughly western story, firmly ensconced in the western tradition.

Even those tidbits Hosseini gives are of such a vague degree that to be impressed by them, one would have to have alm
Linda
Nov 10, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Can't really recommend it, I'm sorry.
Shelves: fiction
Finished this book about a month ago but it's taken me this long to write a review about it because I have such mixed feelings about it. It was a deeply affecting novel, but mostly not in a good way. I really wanted to like it, but the more I think about what I didn't like about the book, the more it bothers me. I even downgraded this review from two stars to one from the time I started writing it to the time I finished.

Let's start off with the good, shall we? The writing itself was pretty good
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
4.5 stars!

Oh, my heart. This was heartbreaking and beautifully written!
Candace
Check out more of my reviews at www.bookaddicthaven.com

'The Kite Runner' had been sitting on my TBR list for years. I kept putting it off because while I was sure that it would be a fantastic book, it isn't the type of smutty romance that I usually read. I knew that I'd have to be in the right kind of mood to read it. Finally, I found myself wanting to read something a little different to break me out of a reading rut and I downloaded the Audible version of 'The Kite Runner' and started listenin
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
I'm really mad at myself for taking so long to read this. SUCH a good book, and while it may not be worthy of 5 stars for me, I really did love it and it broke my heart a hundred times. I look forward to reading Hosseini's other books, most likely this year.
Matt
Jan 14, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who slurp up 'chicken soup for the soul' books
i really wanted to like this novel. judging from its thousands of 'five-star reviews' hailing it as the one of the 'best books ever written,' i'm in the minority when i state that this novel, while well-intentioned, just left a little bit of sour taste in my mouth.

my problems with the novel are as follows: first of all the writing itself is so ham-fistened, heavy-handed, distracting and otherwise puzzling that by the midway point, i seriously considered chucking the book against the wall. each
Stephen
I liked this book a lot. Due to the uncomfortable nature of the story told, I'll probably never read it again, but I'm glad that I did read it once. I saw it as the story of one not very likeable boy growing up in a soon to be war torn region and his eventual struggle for redemption.

I was quite surprised to see how popular some of the negative reviews of this book were and I'd like to comment on a few of the comments they contained.

One condemnatory critic said "This is the sort of book White A
La Petite Américaine
May 11, 2008 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Morons Who Enjoy This Kind of Crap
After pondering long and hard, I'm going to try now to articulate just what it was about this book that sucked so much, why it has offended me so greatly, and why its popularity has enraged me even more. This book blew so much that I've been inspired to start my own website of book reviews for non-morons. So let us explore why.

First, let's deal with the writer himself. Hosseini's father worked for Western companies while in Afghasnistan. While daddy (who I am guessing, from Hosseini's tragic ac
Naeem
Jul 24, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to keep their blinders on
I found this book a failure of courage and imagination -- all the more upsetting for the author's astute sense of detail and wonderful psychological depth. But ask yourself this: if the Taliban are real humans than why are they not represented as such? No doubt we will all love the movie as well.

If you want to read a book on Afghanistan, I recommend Jason Elliot's An Unexpected Light.

Below is my complete review:

I started out loving this book. Hosseini is dead on target in his depiction of childr
Afshar
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
آرامش پیچاندن پیچ زندگی در پایین ترین حد است
سکوت خاموش کردن آن پیچ است.بستن آن است،بستن تمام آن

تمام ستارگان آسمان برای کتاب هایی مثل بادبادک باز ، همسایه ها و ... که از واقعیات زندگی مردم و دردهایشان می گویند کم است و توهین آمیز
این پنج ستاره هم به سرنوشت من دچار شده اند و از پس تعریف بادبادک باز بر نمی آیند

در آغاز جملاتی از کتاب می آورم و بعد به چیزهایی که هنگام خواندن کتاب فکرم را مشغول می کردند خواهم پرداخت

اولین بار در این کتاب بود که اسم هزاره رو از سربازی افغانی شنیدم و اول فکر کردم حتما نا
Basuhi
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, everywhere, if you are human.
Shelves: books-i-own

Before I started this book, I distinctively remember running my hands over the cover, over the embossed letters that read, The Kite Runner, with not a thought spared but just a sense of hope and anticipation.

Now, after I've finished it, I'm once again running my hands over them.
Those letters that read, The Kite Runner.
Those letters that mean a lot more than what they seemed to a few days ago.

Oh.

This is just a tiny fraction of "Oh"s that I felt during my journey through this
Raghad
postimage
"لاجلك الف مرة ومرة "

الامل ,الفرح ,الحزن .اليأس ,الحرب .الظلم , الخوف ,التوبة ,القوة , الضعف
كل هذا مجتمع في هذه الرواية
اتحداك ان تنسى هذه الرواية
.هل تعرف الروايات التي تبقى عالقة في ذهنك ولا تنساها ولو قرأت فوقها مليون كتاب؟انها منها
هل تعرف الروايات التي يدق قلبك فيها بشدة وانت تقرأ ؟انها منها
شاهدت الفيلم بعد انتهائي .تأثرت بالرواية بشكل كبير,ولم يقل تأثري عند مشاهدتي للفيلم
مشاعري وانا اقرأ كانت متناقضة,اريد ان اقرأ بسرعة لأعرف ما سيحصل .ولا اريد ان اقرأ بسرعة لأني لا اريد انهائها
هذه تحفة ف
Ahmad Sharabiani
The kite runner, 2003, Khaled Hosseini
عنوان: بادبادک باز؛ نویسنده: خالد حسینی؛ مترجم: زیبا گنجی؛ پریسا سلیمانزاده اردبیلی، مشخصات نشر: تهران، مروارید، 1383، در 422 ص؛ شابک: 9645881927؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان امریکایی قرن 21 م
عنوان: بادبادک باز؛ مترجم: مهدی غبرائی؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، نشر همراه، 1384، در 456 ص؛
عنوان: بادبادک پران؛ مترجم: منیژه شیخ جوادی؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، پیکان، 1385، در 383 ص؛ شابک: 9789643284953؛
عنوان: بادبادک باز؛ مترجم: مهدی غبرائی؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، نیلوفر، 1386، در 368
Will Byrnes
Oct 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful, moving novel set in the Afghanistan of the early 70’s and of today, about a young boy and his friend growing up in Kabul. Amir desperately wants his father’s approval, but Baba is not quick to give it. He is a rich man, brimming with macho vibrancy, while his son is a different sort altogether. Amir is fast friends with Hassan, the son of his father’s servant. They are as close as brothers. But, beset by bullies, an event occurs that changes Amir’s life. There is much death ...more
Praveen
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this novel five years ago and I confess, at that time, It was my best read for some time.

I enjoyed this book....Amir the narrator of novel has narrated it beautifully.
The sense of insecurity in the father-son relation has been woven nicely and the sense of redemption and guilt is main theme in the psyche of narrator.
I found entire story heart wrenching and the scenes and plot around the friendship of two boys from two different and opposite strata of the society were perfectly written and
Linda
May 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction
So I started Kite Runner two nights ago after finishing Blink. It took me a week or so with Blink since I wasn’t very enthralled, making it easier to put it down at night when it was my bed time.

Kite Runner, I started over a long weekend and could not for the life of me put it down. I was so hooked I even found myself reading Bing’s copy when I was over at Deesh and Bing’s this weekend playing an invigorating (and might I add victorious) game of girls vs. boys Cranium and then Cheez Geek (Cheez
Rola
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
عانيت كثيرا من ضيق فى التنفس أثناء قراءتى لهذه الرواية , و خصوصا الجزء الأول, الأمر الذى كان له أثر على معدل قراءتى لها حتى اكتشفت أن ما اعترانى لم تكن حالة مرضية و إنما من فرط حبس أنفاسي خلال القراءة لهفة و شوقا إلى متابعة الأحداث *
*حدث بالفعل

ملاحظاتى العامة عن الرواية كانت فى تفوق جزئها الأول كثيرا عن أجزاء خروج البطل من دياره , و التى تحولت الأحداث فيها أحيانا إلى أحداثا عادية مكملة فقط للحكاية , و أحداثا أخرى توقعتها و أشعرتنى كأننى أشاهد "فيلما هنديا" مبالغا بعض الشئ.

هى رواية عن الوعود و
MJ Nicholls
Nov 08, 2012 marked it as getting-even  ·  review of another edition
This is one strain of the virus we call Middlebrow Literature. Issuetastic fiction that turns up-to-date, politically loaded topical material into powerful works of stating the obvious whose aim is to educate the Uninformed or Casually Interested Westerner in the ways of another culture at a time when that culture or nation is under scrutiny, or has the western gaze upon it and needs to answer for itself in an accessible and heart-tugging manner. Now and then we will accept literature from far-o ...more
Ahmed Ibrahim
هل تعلم يا صديقى هذا النوع من الروايات التى لا تستطيع الفرار منها ؟ .. كلما حاولت الابتعاد ، تدنو هى منك .. تحاول نسيانها ، فتتدافع كل تفاصيلها فى ذاكرتك ، كما قرأتها .
" إنها قصة لا تنسى ، تظل معك لسنوات .. إنها قوية لحد جعل كل ما قرأته بعدها ، ولفترة طويلة ، يبدو بلا طعم "
إزابيل ألليندى
هل تعرفه ؟
الحقيقة أنك لم تعرفه بعد ولن تعرفه ما لم تقرأ هذه الرائعة .

" لأجلك ألف مرة ومرة "
إحساس غريب ينتابنى عند قراءة هذه الجملة، حاله من الفرح، ورغبة فى البكاء .. الحقيقة لا أعرف ما هو شعورى حينها

الجزء ا
Jackie Gill
May 13, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: "Simple People"
Recommended to Jackie by: Masses of "Simple People"
Shelves: just-read
Maureen
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I AM SO EMOTIONAL DON'T TOUCH ME.
This story was beautiful and I learned so much from it and man. Just so good.
I also read this for #diversathon (even though I'm finishing it about a week later) and I really feel like I learned so much about a culture that I really knew nothing about. It was eye opening and interesting and so educational.
The characters were beautifully written and Amir was fantastically developed. Overall the plot was engaging though the pacing lacked at times. The message was b
Frankie
I loved this book.
Annoyed with myself for not reading it sooner esp after I read & loved A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Totally heartbreaking.
Although it was not worthy of 5 stars for me due to the predictability of the story but I still loved this book to bits.
Such an amazing story/journey.

The film was so bad though.
Hirdesh
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
lovely book,specially use of metaphor and hyperbole.
Just loved way of writing.

"“When you kill a man, you steal a life. You steal his wife's right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone's right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness.”"
Henry Avila
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Amir, a little boy growing up in the early 1970's in Kabul, the capital of Afghanistan, has the idyllic life, a wealthy father Baba, a widower, the mother died giving birth to Amir, he believes, the father hates him for that, in the most beautiful house some say in the city, a great friend Hassan, the son of Ali, a servant and loyal to the family. Baba and Ali had been friends too in childhood, strange since Hassan's father is just a Hazara (Mongol), Hassan's promiscuous mother, had left them to
Luffy
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an extraordinary book set in Afghanistan. The author draws inspiration for this fictional book from his real life experiences. The result is a fantastic story. The story itself reveals a lot about a culture that many people consider obscure, foreign certainly, otherworldly maybe.

The snippets of imagery, the nuggets of wisdom are so visceral, that I had to pause for a while. I had to gather my thoughts before continuing. Marshall my reader's resources, so to speak. Afghanistan has been th
Mystique
Jan 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mystique by: Melissa Coworker
I have some criticisms for this book, but because I chewed through it in such a short amount of time, I'll start with what I like and move to the criticisms.

I did NOT want to like this book. I am one of those annoying people who wants to dislike what everyone else likes, and wants to like what everyone else dislikes. Usually, this works out for me without effort; however, in the world of literature there are occasions that it does not. This was one of those occasions.

The book was brutally heartb
Sammy
May 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-the-best
What a powerful story. I didn't think I was going to like this book as much as I did... but I really did. I got so involved in this book that my emotions were going haywire. Not just feeling happy and sad as you do with most books, but feeling anxious and angry and dissappointed. Everything these characters felt I began to feel. That's definitely the mark of a great novel and a great writer.

One thing I think this novel really does is shed light on a situation we really don't know all that much a
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Kite Runner By Khaled Hosseini - Starting September 15th 2017 7 13 Sep 18, 2017 11:45AM
Books2Movies Club: The Kite Runner - book and movie 2 14 Sep 17, 2017 10:42AM
Should we hate Amir? 49 543 Sep 06, 2017 08:05AM
The Kite Runner - Quote from Chapter 3 12 433 Sep 06, 2017 07:41AM
The Haunting Scene between Hassan and Assef in the Alley 140 1846 Sep 06, 2017 07:37AM
Hassan 9 106 Sep 06, 2017 07:34AM
  • Water for Elephants
  • Cane River
  • The Space Between Us
  • Every Last One
  • Brother, I'm Dying
  • Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
  • The Bean Trees (Greer Family, #1)
  • Mudbound
  • The Bonesetter's Daughter
  • My Sister's Keeper
  • Sweetness in the Belly
  • Komt een vrouw bij de dokter
  • Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
  • Falling Leaves: The Memoir of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter
  • I Know This Much Is True
  • Eventide (Plainsong, #2)
  • April Fool's Day
  • A Fine Balance
Hosseini was born in Kabul, Afghanistan, in 1965. In 1970 Hosseini and his family moved to Iran where his father worked for the Embassy of Afghanistan in Tehran. In 1973 Hosseini's family returned to Kabul, and Hosseini's youngest brother was born in July of that year.
In 1976, when Hosseini was 11 years old, Hosseini's father obtained a job in Paris, France, and moved the family there. They were u
More about Khaled Hosseini...

“For you, a thousand times over” 5956 likes
“It may be unfair, but what happens in a few days, sometimes even a single day, can change the course of a whole lifetime...” 5797 likes