Start by marking “Tabloid Girl” as Want to Read:
Tabloid Girl

Tabloid Girl

3.23  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Paperback. Pub Date: 2010 Pages: 288 Publisher: Sphere 'I did not know I WAS starting a life where I'd be to BEFORE eakfast asked to do three impossible things And be sworn at the by four celeities by lunch. I just thought. hey. I've got a job on a tabloid. 'Sharon Marshall was a tabloid reporter for ten years. Along the way she saw and did some Very Bad Things. She also h ...more
Published 2010 by Sphere

To ask other readers questions about Tabloid Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tabloid Girl

Nicola
I tore through Tabloid Girl at speed, and reading it certainly made a nice break from a glum, academic book I’d been plodding through at the same time. Sharon Marshall’s memoir of life as a tabloid journalist is undoubtedly amusing, giving great insight into the bonkers world of working for a red-top newspaper, but it also leaves a rather unpleasant aftertaste.

There are no two ways about it: tabloids are grimy, and even an irreverent look at the tabloid newsroom still makes the reader feel… grim
Leah
May 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
After finally getting her break in a tabloid newspaper, Sharon Marshall managed to stick with it for an entire decade, sacrificing love as a result. Along the way she did some things that weren’t particularly moral, and she probably spent more time drunk than she cared to imagine, but she enjoyed chasing down a story and trying to get her byline in the newspaper. In Tabloid Girl, Sharon recounts her memories of working on a tabloid and all of the stuff that goes on to make a tabloid newspaper wh ...more
Louise
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have always wanted to be a journalist, and since I couldn't decide what area I would like to compete in, I decided to read a variety of journalist books. After reading the editor side of life from Piers Morgan and Mark from Heat magazine I decided to read the lower side of tabloid journalism starting with Sharon.

The book certainly made me decide one thing- tabloid journalism is not my goal. Being mean to people, and having to intrude on celebrities doesn't appeal to me, and this book does por
Steven
May 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
A delightfully frank tale of life on a tabloid newspaper. Marshall's chatty, confessional style of writing is perfect for the sort of stories she's telling, capturing both the tabloid approach to these sorts of stories as well as the blase attitude she had to adopt in order to deal with her line of work.

There are a few moments that are less successful than others (the chapter on Jade Goody sticks out as a rather heavy-handed attempt to posthumously repair her reputation) but the book as a whole
Agi
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I am really impressed. Sharon wrote this book hiding nothing: things that she has done as well as other journalist. Although shall we call them journalists at all? I am personally not a big fan of tabloids, I read them sometimes but have never thought that people can do such things just to get a hot thema to write about. Lies, sex, drugs, and one wants to add rock'n'roll:) No, rave:)A lot of famous names, but also a lot of people without the name, I caouls only imagine who is she writing about. ...more
Anji
Hilarious insight into tabloid Journalism, sometimes unpleasant, in terms of the awful experiences she had to endure as a shifter, but also in terms of the type of people Journalists and Celebrities tend to be. It was interesting, but not entirely surprising that a fair percentage of famous people are prepared to prostitute themselves in sometimes questionable ways in order to stay in the limelight.
Kim
Jun 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
This follows Sharon Marshall, a tv soap journalist, in her early days as a tabloid journalist. It's a tough world to break into and the 'rookies' get some awful assignments. It's a cut throat world- and if they fail to get a good scoop they are out.

I hadn't realised it was a memoir- I thought it was a novel when I reserved it. It was quite a quick read.
Edoardo Albert
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shocking expose of journo shenanigans by ex-tabloid stunner, Sharon Marshall (plus some moaning about how difficult it is to get a boyfriend when you're dressed in latex and infiltrating a suburban orgy).
Marija
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The best non-fiction I've ever read. Her writing is engaging and witty, especially for someone who worked in tabloids for a decade. I honestly had no idea they knew how to write properly. Glad to be proven wrong. This book really sheds light on a lot of things.
Bronwyn
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
I felt like a juicy gossipy read and did not get it from this - was interesting though to read about the life and inner workings of tabloid journalists and the indusrty they compete in.
Karina
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
The author does at least acknowledge that a lot of the stuff the tabloids do is immoral, but she doesn't really seem to care that much.
Diana180
May 16, 2013 added it
Shelves: read2013
Blackmail, kidnapping, impersonation, phone tapping, a shout-out to Rebekah Wade in the acknowledgements. A little slice of the age of innocence in tabs.
Erin